The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 15, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #83,851 of 87,764
I think @metaljem77 owns both and I know @bigbeans has tried both and owns the DMP-Z1. AFAIK the DMP will be more musical and warmer whereas I hear the Mjolnir to be very neutral and going for hyper clarity/resolution type sound. I'd assume they're more complementary devices in tonality.
Yup, that’s how I hear it. DMP is like Sony’s house sound on steroids; Mjolnir to me isn’t very neutral, as there seems to be a slight bass boost, but yes very clear and smooth. The 2 are complementary but if one had to choose either, I’d say it depends on the iems and sound signature preferred. I tend to calibrate between the iems’ sound signature and the source. That said, I think I seem to enjoy brighter sounds these days than before.

Mar 15, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #83,852 of 87,764
:raised_hands: great to meet you as well, I'm so glad the timing worked and we could experience Narukami together, even if it's out of our price ranges. Would you be able to post the track you used during the demo? You have excellent taste, I recall the AT rep liked it as well. Shoutout to @HiFiHawaii808 for facilitating his Susvara to allow us to compare the AWKG and the Susvara on the amp. Audio Technica hit it out of the park with this one, they didn't just try for a 'Orpheus' copy but a truly unique approach to a halo product.
:beerchug:
Awe thank you and indeed thank you @HiFiHawaii808 :relaxed: And yes it is a superb amp. They indeed nailed it.
My colleague mentioned being impressed by an electronic song with a bunch of holographic stereo cues - guessing that must be the same track. I'd be curious too!

With Susvara it was this one - mind boggling indeed :

With included headset it was this one which turned out to be incredible! So warm and think. Instant love:

🤣 hahaha, you gave me the first laugh of the day with this

I hope to see you at SoCal!

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: and I will definitely see you in SoCal - cannot wait!

Mar 15, 2024 at 6:59 PM Post #83,853 of 87,764
In one week I'll be on my way to the Watercooler meetup in Amsterdam with @lafeuill and @Junmoe62 and I must say : quite eager!
This is going to be epic!

In the meantime getting R8 II a new round of listening sessions (which I'll probably will put up for sale for a great price... although listening to it well I am having second thoughts...) while N30 is charging (isn't that a luxury...), after quite a few days on trips for work with Questyle CMA18P which is one stunning little device can't wait to see people's faces upon first listen :p

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 7:08 PM Post #83,854 of 87,764
Philosophical musing of the day. So much of what we experience in life comes down to our own attitudes. If we approach everything with an attitude of entitlement and expectation, we will be perpetually disappointed . But if instead we cultivate an attitude of reverence and gratitude everywhere we go people tend to respond in kind and no matter what happens it exceeds our expectations.
I always start with a low bar. When I wake up every morning, I give Thanks that I have another day in front of me. Keep it simple

Mar 15, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #83,855 of 87,764
First proper session tonight with the NiceHCK 'Himalaya' - on the blue nozzle which is a more subdued / relaxed tuning, one which I find retains the atmospheric characteristics, tones down the upper mids and treble and as such pulls back on detail, yet still has an overall large stage which a wonderful sense of imaging.

This is yet another very impressive single DD for comparitively low cost coming in at $329. From a fit perspective, these have short and stumpy nozzles which means I need the largest tips available to me, thank goodness for Acoustune AEX07 in XL which are 14mm and allow these to fit my ears perfectly.

I'll have these with me at the Amsterdam meet up next week if anyone would like a listen!

IMG_1934.jpg

Graph courtesy of @baskingshark

432738618_796903632325085_1006024738505334012_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 15, 2024 at 8:01 PM Post #83,856 of 87,764
Philosophical musing of the day. So much of what we experience in life comes down to our own attitudes. If we approach everything with an attitude of entitlement and expectation, we will be perpetually disappointed . But if instead we cultivate an attitude of reverence and gratitude everywhere we go people tend to respond in kind and no matter what happens it exceeds our expectations.
This is not a mere platitude, but a timely reminder in a landscape of much disharmony, unease and anxiety. Despite this, I see respite in the community speaking a common language for the love of music and appreciation of audio gear. Here’s to many more pages of illuminating discourse and the start of beautiful friendships 🤗

Mar 15, 2024 at 8:44 PM Post #83,857 of 87,764
First proper session tonight with the NiceHCK 'Himalaya' - on the blue nozzle which is a more subdued / relaxed tuning, one which I find retains the atmospheric characteristics, tones down the upper mids and treble and as such pulls back on detail, yet still has an overall large stage which a wonderful sense of imaging.

This is yet another very impressive single DD for comparitively low cost coming in at $329. From a fit perspective, these have short and stumpy nozzles which means I need the largest tips available to me, thank goodness for Acoustune AEX07 in XL which are 14mm and allow these to fit my ears perfectly.

I'll have these with me at the Amsterdam meet up next week if anyone would like a listen!

IMG_1934.jpg

Graph courtesy of @baskingshark

432738618_796903632325085_1006024738505334012_n.jpg
I sure would. Did you have a chance to try the A8000 since 2022? I'll have them when we meet.

Mar 15, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #83,858 of 87,764
Will have a great weekend listening to the Romeo. At first listen, I can understand why for some of the Coolers at CJ NYC, this was the IEM that grabbed their attention. :)

IMG_3672.jpeg

It's chef's kiss! 🥰 I love the Romeo the way Teddy loves pumpkin.

Mar 15, 2024 at 11:21 PM Post #83,859 of 87,764
I believe this and try to live by this, but being a mere mortal, I develop entitlements and expectations.

I would like to use this particular musing because of its straightforward articulation, as a reminder to myself.

But, of course, quote you.

Mar 15, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #83,861 of 87,764
I've been doing a lot of reviews lately for lower budget things. I'm guessing that wouldn't be of much interested here in the Watercooler seeing as how most people are at TOTL level?

Mar 15, 2024 at 11:48 PM Post #83,862 of 87,764
I've been doing a lot of reviews lately for lower budget things. I'm guessing that wouldn't be of much interested here in the Watercooler seeing as how most people are at TOTL level?
It depends, for example the Penon Quattro is loved by many here who own multiple multi-kilobuck IEMs. Another example is Oriolus Isabellae, which is under $1k.

However, most of the low-end IEMs won't get any interest here unless they are truly excellent, not only excellent for their price points, but excellent in absolute sense.

Discovery thread is designed for you.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 11:54 PM Post #83,863 of 87,764
It depends, for example the Penon Quattro is loved by many here who own multiple multi-kilobuck IEMs. Another example is Oriolus Isabellae, which is under $1k.

However, most of the low-end IEMs won't get any interest here unless they are truly excellent, not only excellent for their price points, but excellent in absolute sense.

Discovery thread is designed for you.
Thanks for the information. I figured as much. I spend majority of my time over there and don't feel so out of my league 😂

Mar 15, 2024 at 11:58 PM Post #83,864 of 87,764
So, it didn't take long demo-ing the mjolnir in house to fall in love with it as much as I did on the show floor at CanJam last weekend. Needless to say it has been added to my collection and I'll be doing a full review of it this weekend and comparing to various other DAPs as well as discussing rolling sources (sp3k vs pc vs bluetooth, etc) and obviously iem pairings.

Not to spoil things, but this has overtaken SP3K and SP3K with 475 or C9 as my favorite source 🫣

Mar 16, 2024 at 1:02 AM Post #83,865 of 87,764
Thanks for the information. I figured as much. I spend majority of my time over there and don't feel so out of my league 😂

Just to be clear, you're welcome here. :slight_smile: And as @wolfstar76 pointed out, a lot of the IEMs we love here aren't very high priced in the grand scheme of things. For example, for many months now, @Rockwell75 has been smitten with Campfire's Bonnevile, which isn't that much more than a kilobuck. Like some others here, I love Bellos Audio's X4, which is under a kilobuck. Like @Zachik, I also love Noble's Stage 3 and that's $600. Also, I seem the remember Timsok's TS-316 also being a hit here with some, and that's only $500. Now that I think about it, we're all over the place! 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back