The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 13, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #83,672 of 88,254
Mar 13, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #83,673 of 88,254
Aroma Jewel: Expansive, airy, wispy, floaty, albeit a bit lethargic - sleepy, unexcited - at times.
Aroma Fei Wan: Crisp, open, dynamic and textbook-TOTL, held together by a strong, substantial midrange.
FIR Radon6: Plain Jane with appropriately-placed doses of punch, but may suffer from mismatched textures or awkward humps in tone with the wrong pairing.
FIR Xenon6: An admirable distillation of a big, live venue's weighty, slam-y, arena-filling PA system.
64Audio Volur: Crisp and earthy, reminiscent of decently-sized near-fields with a solid, discrete woofer.
Campfire Bonneville: A thump-y play on neutrality with a colored, 2kHz-emphasized midrange compensating for said extra bass energy.
Campfire Trifecta: Grand, expansive and steeped in mushy, vintage, analog warmth with somewhat-disparate pokes of treble peeking through.
Canpur 54E: An in-ear tiramisu; as silky, smooth and refined as it is caffeinated-ly peppy (or energetic, or zingy).
Canpur 622B: Reference-adjacent (ranging from U12t-like to lightly, organically wet, depending on the chain) with class-leading BA lows and mids that genuinely move.
Subtonic STORM: A near-perfectly calibrated scalpel that only veers off to slight dryness in the treble; a leading tool in analyzing music, albeit perhaps not for making it.
Nightjar Singularity: A steady-eddy EDC with a downward-trending FR curve, satisfying DD lows and technique that can scale beyond what's expected of a single-DD.
Noble Viking Ragnar: An energizer bunny that almost force-feeds you detail with a clean, polished, metallic spoon.
Empire Ears Raven: Animals As Leaders in IEM form; punchy and exhilarating, but in a tight, controlled, almost-robotically-precise way.
VE Phonix LE: Clean and blasé; a blank slate; almost as if you're listening to music in black-and-white.
VE EXT: Earthy, muscly, sinewy, gravelly notes topped off with spritz and etch up top, placed in a rowdy, involving venue.
VE VE X: The personification of clear analog; full, meaty and warm, yet precisely etched, tactilely textured, effortlessly agile and addictively soulful.
Elysian Anni '23: The once-popular U18t, Andro, Jomo, AAW sorta sound, perfected; just the right amount of everything for a pleasing, clear and open-yet-meaty sound.
Sony Z1R: Like an important board meeting in a high-rise; huge, open space with prim, tidy, business-suit-wearing instruments; everyone sat far apart, only peripherally linked by their echoes.
Oriolus Traillii: Near-perfectly tuned for involved, emotive, yet technical listening, only slightly hampered by the familiar timbre of its off-the-shelf drivers.
UM Amber Pearl: An IEM directed by David Lynch; stylized, saturated and colorful with un-reference, cross-feed-y imaging and every instrument pushed to their expressive extremes, but belying outstanding technique underneath.

I don't feel like listing any more after writing all that. :D

Epic and creative post, I read it in the voice of a server at a fancy restaurant who was reading their signature dishes to me, and now I'm hungry. :clap:

Unrelated, but I just read an article about NASA sending a message in a bottle into space designed to communicate with aliens, later this year. Part of it will feature waveform translations of "water" in 103 different languages, which honestly looks pretty amazing to me. It's visually striking, like something I'd see at an art gallery. Figured you guys might dig it as well.
Screenshot 2024-03-13 153555.jpg

Mar 13, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #83,674 of 88,254
Epic and creative post, I read it in the voice of a server at a fancy restaurant who was reading their signature dishes to me, and now I'm hungry. :clap:

Unrelated, but I just read an article about NASA sending a message in a bottle into space designed to communicate with aliens, later this year. Part of it will feature waveform translations of "water" in 103 different languages, which honestly looks pretty amazing to me. It's visually striking, like something I'd see at an art gallery. Figured you guys might dig it as
Wow, would that ever make a great iem face plate.

Mar 13, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #83,675 of 88,254
Has anyone else bought an iem for the tips, or am I a trend setter? :thinking:😂
Remember Final Audio E1000? The IEM is the same price as a box of Final Type E tips :dt880smile:

Mar 13, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #83,676 of 88,254

Unrelated, but I just read an article about NASA sending a message in a bottle into space designed to communicate with aliens, later this year. Part of it will feature waveform translations of "water" in 103 different languages, which honestly looks pretty amazing to me. It's visually striking, like something I'd see at an art gallery. Figured you guys might dig it as well.
Woah that's actually really cool....

Mar 13, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #83,677 of 88,254

Honestly I’m more excited about the NASA X59 flight testing! If it goes well , you’ll be able to see supersonic commercial flights in the relatively near future.

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #83,678 of 88,254

Now I wanna rewatch Arrival

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #83,679 of 88,254
The Project M set arrived. The shells jostled loose from their slots within the foam packaging and luckily weren't damaged. First impressions with 20-30 minutes of listening is that the build quality is excellent for both the shells and cable and they fit like a custom (the EXT is what I personally think of), but I'm perhaps underwhelmed on the sound? I really don't know, but I don't necessarily feel like I'm listening to an IEM with a DD in it.

I'm just using the Apple dongle. Doing a quick A/B with the MIROAK-II, the Project M sounds cleaner, for lack of a better word, with a little less background noise. The music is possibly more centralized, and timbre doesn't seem as good as the MIROAK-II, which aligns with some of the reviews saying it isn't particularly natural. A couple songs (namely stuff off Caroline Polachek's latest album) had me noticing some sibilance, which got close to being uncomfortable. They're not hard to drive, so I don't think throwing more power at it will really do much. Not sure if I'll keep them.

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #83,680 of 88,254
Gonna look forward to trying my hand at smaller meets this year, and hopefully work my way back up. I went to a chess meet recently and was fine, but only like 10 people total showed up lol.
When I hear someone mention chess my ears perk up. Are you a player/fan of this wonderful game?

I would actually treat you to a nice meal for this if you ever happen to be in Jakarta 😁
Mate, I live in Jakarta. Let’s make it happen. 😁
Is this the most wholesome interaction ever or what? Waiting on you gentlemen to post a pic from that dinner.

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #83,681 of 88,254
Aroma Jewel: Expansive, airy, wispy, floaty, albeit a bit lethargic - sleepy, unexcited - at times.
Aroma Fei Wan: Crisp, open, dynamic and textbook-TOTL, held together by a strong, substantial midrange.
FIR Radon6: Plain Jane with appropriately-placed doses of punch, but may suffer from mismatched textures or awkward humps in tone with the wrong pairing.
FIR Xenon6: An admirable distillation of a big, live venue's weighty, slam-y, arena-filling PA system.
64Audio Volur: Crisp and earthy, reminiscent of decently-sized near-fields with a solid, discrete woofer.
Campfire Bonneville: A thump-y play on neutrality with a colored, 2kHz-emphasized midrange compensating for said extra bass energy.
Campfire Trifecta: Grand, expansive and steeped in mushy, vintage, analog warmth with somewhat-disparate pokes of treble peeking through.
Canpur 54E: An in-ear tiramisu; as silky, smooth and refined as it is caffeinated-ly peppy (or energetic, or zingy).
Canpur 622B: Reference-adjacent (ranging from U12t-like to lightly, organically wet, depending on the chain) with class-leading BA lows and mids that genuinely move.
Subtonic STORM: A near-perfectly calibrated scalpel that only veers off to slight dryness in the treble; a leading tool in analyzing music, albeit perhaps not for making it.
Nightjar Singularity: A steady-eddy EDC with a downward-trending FR curve, satisfying DD lows and technique that can scale beyond what's expected of a single-DD.
Noble Viking Ragnar: An energizer bunny that almost force-feeds you detail with a clean, polished, metallic spoon.
Empire Ears Raven: Animals As Leaders in IEM form; punchy and exhilarating, but in a tight, controlled, almost-robotically-precise way.
VE Phonix LE: Clean and blasé; a blank slate; almost as if you're listening to music in black-and-white.
VE EXT: Earthy, muscly, sinewy, gravelly notes topped off with spritz and etch up top, placed in a rowdy, involving venue.
VE VE X: The personification of clear analog; full, meaty and warm, yet precisely etched, tactilely textured, effortlessly agile and addictively soulful.
Elysian Anni '23: The once-popular U18t, Andro, Jomo, AAW sorta sound, perfected; just the right amount of everything for a pleasing, clear and open-yet-meaty sound.
Sony Z1R: Like an important board meeting in a high-rise; huge, open space with prim, tidy, business-suit-wearing instruments; everyone sat far apart, only peripherally linked by their echoes.
Oriolus Traillii: Near-perfectly tuned for involved, emotive, yet technical listening, only slightly hampered by the familiar timbre of its off-the-shelf drivers.
UM Amber Pearl: An IEM directed by David Lynch; stylized, saturated and colorful with un-reference, cross-feed-y imaging and every instrument pushed to their expressive extremes, but belying outstanding technique underneath.

I don't feel like listing any more after writing all that. :D
Just… amazing stuff that. Deserves a link on the front page @Rockwell75

my favorite discovery this week, thanks to Qobuz.

BOLIS PUPUL - Letter to Yu
1710341415191.png

A superb album that dances (literally?) around deep house, synth pop, and techno, I dare you to have a bad time listening to this. Impossible! :D
💯 So much depth here, this is something to engage your head and heart while tapping your toes at the same time, I love it!

That said, I’ve been distracted by this highly addictive Psych-out as well the last few days..

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #83,683 of 88,254

Which IEM would we send into space as a community? It's not my favourite, but I would 100% support a vote for Traillii. Or?

drftr

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #83,684 of 88,254
Which IEM would we send into space as a community? It's not my favourite, but I would 100% support a vote for Traillii. Or?

drftr
If you consider the human race as a whole it would have to be airpods 😅

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #83,685 of 88,254
If you consider the human race as a whole it would have to be airpods 😅
No wonder the aliens haven't come back to reboot this simulation. It's broken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back