The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 7, 2024 at 12:45 AM Post #83,071 of 88,381
Friends - I am working on a single DD comparison video - can you remind me if I am missing anything in this list?

1. Singularity
  2. IE900
  3. Fir e12
  4. Dita Perpetua
  5. Turi TI
  6. HIFIMAN Svanar
  7. Final A8000
FAudio Dark Sky
Technics EAH-TZ700
Dita X Final Shichiku Kangen
JVC FW10000
Acoustune HS2000 MX

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 12:47 AM Post #83,072 of 88,381
Hi Daniel! :)

As always, thank you for taking the time to share all those excellent explanations! I’ve learnt so much reading your posts throughout the years! You genuinely rock! :sunglasses:

I’m in no way expert in the field and am curious in knowing more on the subject , so I hope you guys can correct me if I’m saying nonsense!
Maybe I have the wrong idea about what note weight truly is, but I would relate it in some way to the physicality of the notes?! Therefore, I’m surprised you guys didn’t mention the attack of notes, as I feel it is as important (if not more so) to the perception of note impact and weight as decay is.

Also, from your previous message you were saying that note weight is closely linked to mid bass. Does that mean note weight in the upper mids or trebles area doesn’t exist? I’m asking that because for example, I’m finding Ragnar‘s top end to have more substance and “weight “ to its notes than Annihilator for instance, that I feel more ethereal and light weight in its presentation. I would also mostly attribute this palpable sense to the attack of the notes that are sharper and more vivid on Ragnar. Maybe I’m confusing different things, I’m not sure…

For the drivers’ diaphragms and toms you were referring to, I think the amount of the membrane’s displacement is also a big factor to take into account. For instance, most planar drivers in IEMs are bigger than their DD counterparts but since the amplitude of their membranes’ displacement (as well as the weight of the membrane ) is lower they generally don’t produce the same sensation.

I might have spewed utter nonsense and mixed a lot of things up, so I hope you guys can help clear things up! :D

Cheers,

Julien
Thanks, man! ‘Always love reading your impressions as well.

Yeah, as I said on my initial reply, when I think of note weight, the first thing that comes to mind is how physically present or tactile the note is. It’s that cliche of, “It’s as if I can reach out and touch the instruments.” That’s what good note weight does. It makes instruments feel rooted in reality and real. To your point about attack, I think it’s virtually interchangeable with how I’ve talked about impact on my recent posts. The more weighty, more realized and more tactile a note is, the realer or punchier its attack will feel, which then also feeds into the IEM’s overall dynamics.

Weight certainly exists in the upper registers, and what you’re talking about there is a perfect example of why I personally don’t prefer EST trebles nowadays. I still prefer the more tangible highs of a BA, especially now that they aren’t as randomly peaky or harmonic as they used to be. If I had to have EST highs, I’d prefer a combination of a BA for the low- and mid-trebles, then ESTs cover the upper-treble or air frequencies, ‘cus air is meant to be light and dainty. The reason why I specifically used lower-end examples when talking about note weight here is simply because it’s easier to explain and visualize, like with the drum example. :D

And, where I talked about mid-bass, I’m actually referring to it as a way to get “fake” weight; to make notes seem heavier by simply making them fatter or thicker. In reality, that’s as much of a cheat as throwing in extra treble for detail. So, it wasn’t a real example of note weight; in fact, the very opposite. And, yes, driver excursion and air displacement are products of the size and weight of the diaphragm as well. I didn’t call them out specifically as I assumed that was implied, but you’re right on the money there.

Personaly I dont see the co relation between DD BA and Planar and thier sterotipical decay times. There are DD like A4/5000, FD7, 3T-154 that are very dry and have quick decay times and generally follow recording decay. Open sonion BAs form the likes of BGVP DM8(im sure there are others but this comes to mind) have extended decay dispite being a BA. For planars like the hook X and pandamon granted they arent as extreme as open BAs but they introduced notable decay.

@drftr if you dont mind is at a live performance code for sounds like PA speakers? Since when I think of live performance I think of non powered accoustically venue ampified sound.

That being said on the headphone side of thing I feel that its always so slow to get interesting products. The only thing that appeals to me as of last year was the Tago t3-01, FiiO FT3 and beyer 900 X.
I agree. I feel like it’s more down to the size and weight (and magnet strength, etc.) of the driver, rather than how much they decay. Again, the decay to me is another effect, rather than the cause.

I was just thinking about the PA system thing too, actually. It’s possible that our brain accepts DDs as a more realistic facsimile of live instruments because concert PA systems are basically giant DDs. On the other hand, ribbon tweeters used in studio monitors are closer to BAs and ESTs in IEMs.

Mar 7, 2024 at 1:40 AM Post #83,073 of 88,381
All using Azla Crystal eartips and N30LE AP as the DAP with EQ disabled with a short test of 1hr to compare mids. @btwine originally asked me about my opinion, but I wanted to share the results with you guys.

Mason FS ST w/FTS Pro: I am hesitant to recommend this to someone that is looking for one and be done. Even I am debating on whether or not I keep this, only because of the $ of both IEMs. For me, the mids were more full and organic than the VE10. It sounds darker sound than the UM AP, but there is something that draws me to it. As another reviewer (twister6 or aaf evo) described it... The bass is mellow and slow than the UM AP. Diana Krall - Temptation feels almost romantic and just chill like you smoked a blunt.

UM AP w/Shiro 8W: Similar to Mason FS ST, the overall sound across the frequency range is more organic and holographic. The mids are lush and more forward than VE10 with a good balance in treble. Diana Krall - Temptation's bass has a faster attack, but not intense like the Annihilator '23. Radiohead - Paranoid Android, guitar strums sound so lush it makes you smile and giggle. If you are familiar with this track, at the 3rd section (03:37), the choral vocal is intense and in your face that is intoxicating to listen to. If it is too intense, the Mason FS ST does take it back a bit, but still more separation in frequency than VE10.

VE10 w/Chiron Nova: Not bad for it's price, but the overall sound is more digitized than the two UM IEMs above. It is not as holographic sounding in that I found the frequencies blend in more together. Perhaps I would say this sounds more solid state vs the other two are more tube like. Radiohead - Paranoid Android - 3rd section... On the VE10, it just sounds like background music. The guitar strums are also more blended into the music.

Since the test, Mason FS ST has been broken in for ~120hrs, and I also got a P6P Ti99. My favorite pairing is the Mason FS ST with P6P Ti99, and UM AP with N30LE AP.

L1003665.jpg
L1003670.jpg

Mar 7, 2024 at 2:00 AM Post #83,074 of 88,381
’m surprised you guys didn’t mention the attack of notes, as I feel it is as important (if not more so) to the perception of note impact and weight as decay is.
For me attack and weight are different. Attack has more to do with both micro and macro dynamics.

Where I consider attack to sound like PLOP I consider note weight to sound like BLOB. Notice the difference in the ascent and descent. For me BLOB is a fat note.

Since when I think of live performance I think of non powered accoustically venue ampified sound.
Same. Amplified instruments can never be a reference for me as they introduce their own peculiarities.

drftr

Mar 7, 2024 at 3:07 AM Post #83,075 of 88,381
Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Keen to understand people's views on pricing in the classified section. I'm confused about how some sellers have enjoyed items for several months, but expect to sell them used at almost full retail.

For example, there's a bundle of three items advertised on the classifieds right now. All three items are about 6 months old, in the manufacturers current product range (<9 months) and are readily available new - they could be ordered via Amazon Prime and delivered brand new very quickly.

The seller is looking to recover 90% of the cost of these items against the Amazon pricing and obviously believes that a 10% discount on new is fair for their use of the items for 6 months

I've always beleived that once you have used something and call it your own for a while, you will be discounting on new for your use of those items when it comes time to sell.

I thought a 30% discount on new pricing was reasonable, but seems I've upset the seller

What are people's thoughts? Do I have an unreasonable view on used gear pricing/discounting?

(Not an academic question - I don't like offending people and I'm about to list some items so keen to level set appropriately)

I agree prices are often unreasonable high. And I see many items unsold. Often you can get a new item from a manufacturer or dealer cheaper with a discount. I agree 30% should be the norm and 50% after a year.

If an advertised price is notably above the average second hand market pricing maybe before making a formal offer ask the seller if they are open to offers and include supporting links for recent adverts of the going second-hand market price. Not all sellers are trying it on, not all buyers are trying it on, sometimes you have to allow people to amend their expectations at their own speed :)

Mar 7, 2024 at 5:19 AM Post #83,077 of 88,381
Hi fellas, how do you buy the South Korean Vishnu leather cases internationally? I am looking for a case for the Brise Tsuranagi..

Cheers and thanks so much!
Have you checked out Alt-R leather cases made by our very own @Visveswaran Umashankar ? He has got some killer design!

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #83,082 of 88,381

Users who are viewing this thread

Back