The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 3, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #82,786 of 88,272
Listened to the new Raal Immanis. Completely different experience than the other Raal headphones. I really liked it. But it wasn't something that I'd replace my Abyss with. Idk for the price that you have to invest it didn't feel worth it to me personally with my preferences. Someone else might just love them.
Eying Immanis atm to replace my Susvara, how would you compare it to it if you know Sus, and how exactly does it compare to your Abyss?
Unfortunately coudlnt make to the Heidelberg fair yesterday.

Mar 3, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #82,787 of 88,272
It's been a while since I listened to the Sus and it wasn't present at the show yesterday. The Susvara lost the shootout against the 1266 in my setup.

From what I remember and probably depending a bit on your favourite genres and hardware setup I think the Susvara is probably a bit better. But I would really recommend listening yourself since like I said it's been a while.

Mar 3, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #82,788 of 88,272
I enjoy a good wireless headphone (a la Audeze Maxwell) if only to avoid children and pets running along the cords, but there's a part of me that low-key hates tws. The tech is brilliant, sure, but I'm horrendously clumsy and always terrified of losing the damned things. I can't even begin to tell you how many individual misplaced airpods I've seen at local gyms. I'm ok with at least a single wire connecting the pair. Charging cases have become amazing, though--never thought I'd see the day when ~$100 tws sets had a case with a built-in lcd display for a battery percentage meter.

Ive lost so many TWS... My solution is to attach it to my keychain. Haven't had any problems since .

And focusing on smartphones is a good call. Most consumers use their phones as DAPs/streamers.

Mar 3, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #82,789 of 88,272
I went to the World of Headphones yesterday and had a chance to listen to some first class headphones.

Very few IEMs there. I saw Technics and UE. On the flyer it said that Custom Ears and CA was there but while I think I may have found them I heard most of the interesting CAs at HighEnd Munich last year and wasn't impressed (including the Trifecta) and there was nobody there so it didn't feel right to grab IEMs by myself.

Headphones on the other hand I had a blast with. Got my hands on Final Audio's D8000 Pro. A nice headphone but to me it didn't feel on the level of an Abyss 1266 TC or a Susvara which I hear it compared to sometimes. It definitely a great headphone.
Got a chance to listen to the Stax X9000 and SR-009 for the first time. Fantastic headphones for classic, blues, pop etc. Still good but not great when I threw Metal or Rock at it. Idk was still fine in midbass but below that it couldn't really reach. Also the bass didn't have enough impact for those genres.

Heard the Dan Clark E3 and Expanse. The E3 is really good for that price. Would recommend a liste. The Expanse even on a Zähl HM-1 didn't do anything for me. It just sounded bland to me.

Listened to the new Raal Immanis. Completely different experience than the other Raal headphones. I really liked it. But it wasn't something that I'd replace my Abyss with. Idk for the price that you have to invest it didn't feel worth it to me personally with my preferences. Someone else might just love them.

I saw some ZMF headphones but without any labels as which was which and me not really knowing the brand I just didn't know which ones would be worth listening to. I'll keep that in mind for the next time.

My personal highlight of the show was the Aperio. Holy cow what a masterpiece IMHO. It gave me He-1 levels of happiness just throwing different music at it and listening. Metal, female pop, classic. You name it and it just took it and handled it. It gave me that electrostat goodness but didn't disappoint me in the bass. It was just wow. It was paired with an Eversolo A8. I wonder if it might be even better with a better DAC. But even so it was exquisite. I would recommend listening if you ever get the chance. I might just drop out of the big headphone game and save for that one. 34k€ but it includes the amp. Very steep and I think I'd be really annoyed if they then released a new flagship just afterwards :D
You should have tried ZMF headphones.

Mar 3, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #82,790 of 88,272
Ive lost so many TWS... My solution is to attach it to my keychain. Haven't had any problems since .

And focusing on smartphones is a good call. Most consumers use their phones as DAPs/streamers.
I just got the ifi Go Pods and after playing around, figured out they were perfect for a ciem I hadn't been using much. Now it's like the best of both worlds when necessary.

Mar 3, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #82,792 of 88,272
I am not sure about idea of having Go Pods if people were constantly losing their TWS. Instead of $100 to $300 loss, you may end up lost $1k+ each time.

Mar 3, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #82,793 of 88,272
I am not sure about idea of having Go Pods if people were constantly losing their TWS. Instead of $100 to $300 loss, you may end up lost $1k+ each time.
Guess you're still using a landline instead of a smartphone because without a cable you'd lose it? :wink:

drftr

Mar 3, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #82,794 of 88,272
That is such a good point much rather lose a pair of AirPods

Mar 3, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #82,795 of 88,272
Guess you're still using a landline instead of a smartphone because without a cable you'd lose it? :wink:

drftr
Well, I am talking about @CodenameBK201 and @stacey. The only way to prevent it from happening again is to find, well, a landline, just like @stacey mentioned his keychain :).

Mar 3, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #82,796 of 88,272
These things don't ever dislodge and I have to want to remove them to do so. I'm pretty careful with such things, and when you take these out, you will put them in their box or somewhere safe.

Mar 3, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #82,797 of 88,272
These things don't ever dislodge and I have to want to remove them to do so. I'm pretty careful with such things, and when you take these out, you will put them in their box or somewhere safe.
You are right about put them away. I doubt most people lost their TWS was because the TWS were falling out of their ears without being noticed, it is more likely that when they took TWS out, they just put TWS randomly and later totally forgot about them.

Mar 3, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #82,798 of 88,272
You are right about put them away. I doubt most people lost their TWS was because the TWS were falling out of their ears without being noticed, it is more likely that when they took TWS out, they just put TWS randomly and later totally forgot about them.
Or the dog or cat get hold of them!

Mar 3, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #82,799 of 88,272
My cats are nice enough that they never bite my cables, or my IEMs. The only mischiefs they have performed was to push stuff off the night stand. IEMs without cable attached may be at risk, but so far I have never put any IEMs on the night stand.

Mar 3, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #82,800 of 88,272
Awesome find, thanks. I agree, it's very special. You do need to swap out the included cable. Nice the author called the Martini cable pairing out specifically. I listen to mostly various rock/metal styles and modern indy electro with it. Glad there is a fan cult out there. They didn't make very many of them.

I haven't heard Erebus, maybe @Scuba Devils has already? I'll add it to my ever growing list of "need to hears". 🤘It has a bunch of EST's which are usually kryptonite to my ears destroying the treble immersion, which makes me more apprehensive. Hearing is believing though. Cheers!
Erebus continues to fly under the radar. Maybe demo sets will find their way to NYC CJ and SG CJ, they deserve to be sampled and compared. Erebus' very well balanced and somewhat relaxed sound, along with excellent technicals and great scaling to most music types and moods make it a great all-rounder for me. With its contingent of 8 (!) ESTs per monitor, I find the treble to be sweet, airy, detailed, a bit sparkly, and not metallic, dry, or sibilant, as I hear some EST-laden IEMs to be.
IMG_1206.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back