The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 28, 2024 at 3:33 AM Post #82,336 of 88,324
I am wondering if soon or late an IEM will be able to reproduce the full audible frequency range like only the Sennheiser HE-1 manage to do it almost perfectly with such simple test...
Those have tested many headphones and IEM => all are losing significant frequencies that we can catch instantly....

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 3:46 AM Post #82,337 of 88,324
there we go again, a Messurement Scientist.
sorry, didnt know this is the thread for dreamers only. im out

one last thing you can even measure the things the other guy listed, but just do your own research if you care. quite easy to find. you would need a basic understanding of physics tho.
the funny thing is theat when i read about specific gear needs a burn in, in 20 years i never read about separation, prat and the likes, but basically things like, the phone opened up, treble came out, the bass came to shine. which all are freq response effects you should be able measure even for the not so sophisticated folks.
it is what hifi always has been, some are on the esoteric side of things and some on the scientific side. i wonder if the "believers" also are the ones that said, there is no pandemic:deadhorse:

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 3:53 AM Post #82,338 of 88,324
I am wondering if soon or late an IEM will be able to reproduce the full audible frequency range like only the Sennheiser HE-1 manage to do it almost perfectly with such simple test...
Those have tested many headphones and IEM => all are losing significant frequencies that we can catch instantly....

Screenshot_20240228-095248.png

Feb 28, 2024 at 4:42 AM Post #82,339 of 88,324
I got my Amber Pearl IEM yesterday and have been in awe at how it sounds with the Cayin. N30LE.
My all-time favourite until very recently, in the UM Mentor, is now back in its box and on the classifieds.

The Pearl sounds bigger and bolder, bass hits harder with the soundstage being just as deliciously expansive.
I couldn't stop listening for a long time last night. Simply incredible..

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 6:08 AM Post #82,340 of 88,324
IMG_4505.png

Anybody here have any experience with this Iem would appreciate some feedback before I purchase. Thank you guys.

Feb 28, 2024 at 6:12 AM Post #82,341 of 88,324
it is what hifi always has been, some are on the esoteric side of things and some on the scientific side. i wonder if the "believers" also are the ones that said, there is no pandemic:deadhorse:
Why condescending (almost) always comes in the same package with audio science loving?

Speaking as a “centric” guy who also loves measurements.

Feb 28, 2024 at 6:12 AM Post #82,342 of 88,324
I got my Amber Pearl IEM yesterday and have been in awe at how it sounds with the Cayin. N30LE.
My all-time favourite until very recently, in the UM Mentor, is now back in its box and on the classifieds.

The Pearl sounds bigger and bolder, bass hits harder with the soundstage being just as deliciously expansive.
I couldn't stop listening for a long time last night. Simply incredible..
The only question remaining is whether to go for the PWA FTS or Eletech's OTL. Kinda leaning towards the latter but might wait until the Amsterdam meet up instead.

EDIT: in typical rash fashion, Ode to Laura it is!

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 6:29 AM Post #82,343 of 88,324

Anybody here have any experience with this Iem would appreciate some feedback before I purchase. Thank you guys.
I'd say Ace is Aroma's take on 'neutrality'. Has 2 switches/4 modes, which provides flexibility across music genres. Looks and sits in one's ears great, cable swapping is necessary. Not a big fan of Aroma's products, but Jewel > Ace > Fei Wan for me, YMMV.

I remember this was released at the Erlkonig era, where both iems were multi-BA flagships. I personally preferred the goblin king, but I know a few Asians preferred Ace.

Feb 28, 2024 at 6:49 AM Post #82,344 of 88,324
Had a go at the Nightjar Acoustics Singularity today. Here are my impressions:

Pros
  • Very pleasing subbass with controlled midbass that does not overpower the mids
  • Well-separated midrange with smooth notes
  • Smooth and extended treble
  • The midrange notes are wonderfully natural and organic, with a very pleasant body. Note definition is top-notch.
  • Wide and deep stage
  • Overall a very refined presentation; can even be called romantic
Con
  • The upper midrange is somewhat pulled back and lacks the energy I normally look for.
  • Overall midrange feels very slightly veiled to my ears, perhaps pairing with a more powerful and dynamic source will clean that up.
  • While the notes are very well-defined, they do not exactly sound tangible, neither do they have class-leading resolution
  • Treble has less energy for my preference, the extension saves it from being muted.
1000072554-01.jpeg

Comparison with 634EARS LOAK-2(CL) (89800 JPY or around 600 USD)
  • LOAK-2(CL) has a more dynamic and more energetic sound in comparison.
  • The upper midrange and treble of LOAK-2(CL) are more forward, so the overall presentation is more clear.
  • The midbass of LOAK-2CL is stronger, perhaps slightly boomier in comparison.
  • The midrange notes of LOAK-2CL have a slightly thinner body and the edges are rougher compared to the Singularity's well-bodied smooth notes.
  • Resolution seems comparable between both, perhaps LOAk-2(CL) gets a slight upper hand due to the brilliant treble.
  • The Singularity has slightly better separation.
  • The LOAK-2CL has a similarly wide soundstage, but the depth is slightly more on the Singularity.
  • The LOAK-2CL has a more vibrant and slightly raw presentation compared to the Singularity's more laid-back and refined one.
1000072551-01.jpeg

graph.png

graph (1).png

Feb 28, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #82,345 of 88,324
How exactly will you measure timbre, instrument separation, soundstage depth, width, height, PRaT, micro and macro dynamics, et cetera? We're open to your suggestions.

drftr
Timbre is through frequency response, as it will alter the source signal and color the original timbre as tuned by the mixing and mastering engineer.

All those other characteristics can be measured by a battery of tests including square waves and DIRAC pulses by observing the delta between the original digital signal and the recorded sound from the transducer or a reconversion through an ADC if you are testing components upstream of the transducer.

"Sound stage" is a more contentious topic because that depends on a number of factors that contribute to modifying the source signal's spatial cues as implemented by the recording engineer (binaural recording techniques for instance) or the mixing/mastering engineer (through software plug-ins playing with panning, reverb, EQ, phase differentials, etc) in such a way that renders a universal analysis practically impossible for HPs, let alone IEMs. These tracks are mixed on studio monitors usually, so spatial cues are building off a HRTF and HRIR that are not translatable exactly to the audience, and mastering those tracks further muddies the water by adding frequency exciters and distortion to ensure performance on systems that are not up to spec, especially speaker systems that don't have a proper subwoofer and room treatment. The measurement methodology for this is as yet unknown because of the psychoacoustic nature of sound imaging, although we can get close by mimicing the spatial cues observed through a binaural recording setup.

Feb 28, 2024 at 7:59 AM Post #82,346 of 88,324
sorry, didnt know this is the thread for dreamers only. im out

one last thing you can even measure the things the other guy listed, but just do your own research if you care. quite easy to find. you would need a basic understanding of physics tho.
the funny thing is theat when i read about specific gear needs a burn in, in 20 years i never read about separation, prat and the likes, but basically things like, the phone opened up, treble came out, the bass came to shine. which all are freq response effects you should be able measure even for the not so sophisticated folks.
Mark of super reviews did a burn in test of the FH5s to try applying the prescribed solution to that set's knives out upper mids and treble. A difference was measured, but it was extremely subtle.

Acclimatization is the far more coherent explanation for the burn-in phenomenon in IEMs and possibly to a lesser extent HPs (given the size of the transducers that are theoretically susceptible to burn-in outside of a function check in the factory).

Speakers are far more likely to be susceptible to burn-in, so people are applying the transitive property to this observation whether it's supported by evidence or not.

Feb 28, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #82,347 of 88,324
As for my Trailli Ti, I'll lend it to my friend @AxLvR together with my Creator so he can review it and maybe share it here 🤭
I hope you're doing good too @Valrhona 😁
We look forward to the reviews from @AxLvR ! Always balanced and impartial. :)

Feb 28, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #82,348 of 88,324
Seems we have all heard the same things 😁😅😉
Quite interesting, isn't it? The feedback is so similar around the world, even when accounted for personal preferences it still is very much uniform.
@Animagus thank you for the wonderful review! I really appreciate it.

Feb 28, 2024 at 8:38 AM Post #82,349 of 88,324
Broke my no new iems after the Tansoi Mira X with a blind buy accidentally slip off the finger on Ebay for these, my first Campfire iem.
Screenshot_20240228_133414_eBay.jpg

Feb 28, 2024 at 8:42 AM Post #82,350 of 88,324
Quite interesting, isn't it? The feedback is so similar around the world, even when accounted for personal preferences it still is very much uniform.
Exatly.
Matter of fact, yes. :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back