The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 24, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #82,098 of 90,677
And this is what I call an ultimate IEM stack:beerchug:
Let the testing begin!

DSC_0016.jpeg

Also, huge thanks to Marco Custom Cables (@damascato ) for sorting me out with an outstanding looking IC to connect the Mass Kobo to desktop dacs. Top service and great friend, can’t recommend enough
DSC_0044.jpeg

Feb 24, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #82,100 of 90,677
Pairing the PortaPro with FiiO CP13 - wonderful together… listening to my original cassette copy of Seventeen Seconds by The Cure which is over 30 years old and still sounds great.

IMG_1586.jpeg

Feb 24, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #82,101 of 90,677
Pairing the PortaPro with FiiO CP13 - wonderful together… listening to my original cassette copy of Seventeen Seconds by The Cure which is over 30 years old and still sounds great.

Now this is a vibe

Edit - gotta get some Yaxi on the Porta Pros tho

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #82,102 of 90,677
Now this is a vibe

Edit - gotta get some Yaxi on the Porta Pros tho

Yes just browsing colour choices on Amazon earlier - definitely ordering some!

Feb 24, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #82,103 of 90,677
Just found out we're going to back to full time in the office on Monday (no more hybrid) so I need to nail down my daily commuter setup... Was hoping I'd have my Scarlet Mini by now....

Feb 24, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #82,104 of 90,677
Tinnitus and I live together for 40-41 years now. As a word of warning (although I can't generalize this, I know) it has become worse since I started using IEMs about 2.5 years ago.
I went to the largest tinnitus hospital in Korea (literally hundreds of patients per day) and the first thing they told me was to stop using iems and headphones.
And coming from personal experience, ear damage from loud noises definitely makes it worse.

Feb 24, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #82,105 of 90,677
I went to the largest tinnitus hospital in Korea (literally hundreds of patients per day) and the first thing they told me was to stop using iems and headphones.
And coming from personal experience, ear damage from loud noises definitely makes it worse.
Well, dang. Sophie's Choice.... But life without music is unfathomable vs. a little treble accompaniment to life...

Feb 24, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #82,106 of 90,677
I totally understand what they said, but...

I've been without any music for 7-8 years and my tinnitus never decreased. So I do think it increases when consuming music, but when you're above a certain age stopping has no effect. It's permanent damage.

drftr

Feb 24, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #82,107 of 90,677
Hey all! I'm happy to share my new review of the iFi GoPods! While this is certainly a bit different to what I usually review, it was a lot of fun.
I invite you all to check it out here. Have a great Saturday 🤘🏼

TKP - GoPods Review - 1.jpg

Feb 24, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #82,108 of 90,677
CanJam NYC essentially represents the start of a new "season" of IEMs. Thus I thought now would be a good time to do our winter "top 3 IEMs that currently own your heart" poll. Since my time is limited these days I'm doing this using Google Forms as it's so much less time consuming to tabulate results. Here is the link:

https://forms.gle/JCMwtQAMDmrHazSm6

There are two brackets, one sub and one over $2k. Happy voting.

Edit: I closed the poll for a minute as I forgot to include the "What is your Head Fi username?" question. This is the only required question and it helps me prevent repeat voters and makes it so that if someone changes their vote. ie., votes again I'll be able to easily see that and delete the first vote. For those unfamiliar I do not collect emails and you do not have to even be logged in to any Google account to take the poll.
Thanks for creating the poll

Feb 24, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #82,109 of 90,677

I've been without any music for 7-8 years and my tinnitus never decreased. So I do think it increases when consuming music, but when you're above a certain age stopping has no effect. It's permanent damage.

drftr
For sure. My tinnitus in my left ear is due to damage from, first, a concert where I was stupidly standing right next to the PA speaker where there was some sort of feedback blast that sent us all to the ground and then, later, a blown-tube in a power supply of a headphone amp that assaulted the same ear... But even that comes and goes depending on environment and sleep/nutrition. Also I've been using headphones my whole life so impossible for me to know what it might have been like had I not. From the earliest Sony Walkmans in the early 1980's to today, I have always consumed the majority of my music through either headphones or IEMs.

Feb 24, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #82,110 of 90,677

drftr
Yes, they told me that tinnitus is something that one doesn't recover from but only learn to push into the background.
Basically they advocated that I have music or white noise in the background 24/7 (just not so close to the ear) so that I would break the habit of listening to the tinnitus. It does actually help a lot.
They also said that as you get older and your hearing organs deteriorate tinnitus gets worse, so I'm in full agreement with you there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back