The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 22, 2024 at 1:18 AM Post #81,961 of 88,266
PXL_20231105_163828713-01-01-topaz-enhance-2.8x-exposure-remove.jpeg

The DITA NAvigator is sooooo good :xf_eek:

Feb 22, 2024 at 2:08 AM Post #81,962 of 88,266
After 5 months of waiting today was the day that the sub arrived. 750lbs of physicality. Somehow the sweet spot has grown to the entire room.

IMG_3498.jpeg
The second amp in the stack is for the sub.

The cross over for the sub is mounted behind the main racks out of sight.

IMG_3497.jpeg

First hours of listening
I am very pleased with the upgrade.
You pre-ordered your coffin, bro?

Would love to come along :p
Any further details to share at this stage? Even though the most important questions seem to be cleared up ie when and where :p
Will spam your inbox tonight. Tnx for joining our travelling circus!

drftr

Feb 22, 2024 at 5:20 AM Post #81,963 of 88,266
As my Indonesia trip winds down, wanted to drop a quick post and share photos of our audiophile hangout in the lovely city of Jakarta. The meet-ups were coordinated by the rather enterprising @TheMiddleSky.

Of course, Jakarta is not “lovely” in the sense in which Bali is lovely. Its a city with traffic, great steel and concrete structures, and frenzied folks trying to augment wealth and incomes, as they should.

IMG_8772.jpeg

IMG_8774.jpeg

But the city has friendly and hospitable people, the traffic magically seems to have lessened compared to the last time I was here, and the food continues to be one of the best in the world. I am, though, particularly biased towards South East Asian cuisine. Even variants of the noodle soup, between Indonesia, Singapore and Thailand get me excited, so there’s that. I do think its an acquired taste though, which I didn’t quite possess all my life.

IMG_8731.jpeg

Speaking of acquired tastes I spent a bit of time hanging out at the luxury watch reseller market which is somehow rather impressive in Jakarta. Indonesia is a trillion dollar economy mind you, and is forecasted to become one of the drivers of global growth in the coming decades, along with India and a few others. Rolexes, APs, and Pateks go for higher prices in the used market (several models do) but Jakarta prices were far better than prices in many countries.

IMG_8667.jpeg

IMG_8678.jpeg

IMG_8673.jpeg

But, of course, I digress. The real purpose of this post and the enjoyment of this trip was derived at a fantastic little audio store in South Jakarta, known as Beyond the Music, or BTM, in short. We were joined by a select group of audiophiles in Jakarta including a few HeadFi regulars.

A high-point for me was getting to try some of the newer headphone releases which have evaded me ever since I waded into the IEM kiddy pool. Of course, I jest. IEMs are for grown-ups as much as headphones or speakers. But without further ado, photos of some fine products I got to audition.

IMG_8628.jpeg

I posted impressions on the Canpur 622B earlier and while I appreciated its tonal balance and very-impressive-for-BA bass, let’s just say that I wouldn’t personally buy it on the basis of a first listen. The treble was a bit too kind for my liking. I don’t like my treble too kind. I like spice but not so much that I get gas.

Next, I got to try Hedd’s very, very, very-impressive-for-the-price, HEDDphone V2.

IMG_8581.jpeg

The HEDDphone V2 is light, comfortable, super ergonomic, with a tonal profile that is somehow airy for days without getting bright, very resolving, and even has a bit of punch and impact! And it way outperforms most contenders at $2000. It is definitively flying under the radar for most headphone-first audiophiles.

I do have to say I figured out that the chain in question had something to do with unlocking the might of the HEDD V2, namely the Cengrand Silverfox and DS DAC.

IMG_8591.jpeg

IMG_8584.jpeg

I understand that this brand has elicited mixed feelings in the community but another reputable reviewer @project86 has reviewed their amp so do check it out. The thing with this set up, particularly, the amp, is that it has different settings to elicit different sonic profiles, but the chain I listened to was just the Bee’s knees. It was smooth yes, but not in-your-face smooth. It was on the right side of smooth. So it still sounded very textured, with a wonderfully extended treble, a rich organic midrange, and a damn dynamic bass. I understand there are disagreements about its bass, but in my listening, the bass was gorgeous. And you all know by now how much I like my bass.

Overall, there were plenty of wonderful DAC Amps at BTM including the venerable Feliks Envy and Rockna Wavedream, the “punchy DAC”. I have always appreciated the Wavedream with the Susvara.

IMG_8574.jpeg

Meanwhile, I did get to change my mind on DCA headphones. Basically, so far in my audio journey, I have not met a single DCA headphone that I wanted to own. That’s largely why I have never reviewed a DCA headphone. I just couldn’t be bothered. The reasons are more than one but it mostly came down to the non-existent bass impact, at least given my preferences for bass. However, the DCA E3 is a phenomenal closedback, and the hype is very well-deserved. Thankfully, it’s not flying under the radar like the HEDD V2. I love how airy it sounds (partly a result of the tuning and partly the cengrand chain) and it finally has some proper bass slam!

IMG_8587.jpeg

I also got to try the Abyss Diana MR which was all right. But nothing to write home about. Yes, they fixed some of the issues of the previous Diana models, but Diana shaped headphones just don’t work for me sonically, somehow. Yes, the treble is better but still metallic, and the bass is powerful, but the mids are odd and peaky and timbrally off. The MR did stage incredibly well, but it has been overhyped by YouTube reviewers, IMHO. YMMV.

B4F00B21-3445-4E36-AD4D-F262549AA94E.jpeg

The highlight for me, in so far as IEMs go, was the Vision Ears VEX. If you are treble sensitive or otherwise prefer a warm tuning, then look, absolutely no further, especially if you can afford its price tag of $3000. It is well-priced though and likely outperforms technically and given my subjective preferences for DD bass, tonally as well, many UM IEMs far more expensive. I just loved the VEX in its fit, finish and sort of being able to culminate the VE sound. Top IEM this one.

IMG_8592.jpeg

The cable is awesome as well, at least as far as stock ones go.

IMG_8594.jpeg

I also had listening time with the AK Odyssey. I was surprised to find an unsold unit in Jakarta and as always, it delivers some incredible EE bass.

IMG_8596.jpeg

Last but not least, I got to try Hiby’s R8 II DAP. The Alcantara reminded me of Surface laptops and given my subjective preferences for aesthetics and design, I wasn’t feeling it. At all. Creative, yes. But not a design aesthetic that is likely to catch on. I also didn’t feel the red colorway. The shade of red or crimson didn’t work for me but of course this is hyper-subjective territory.

IMG_8598.jpeg

Sonically, the DAP was a pleasant surprise in being able to trade blows with my trusty WM1ZM2. I quite liked it. But I prefer the vintage sound of my Sony still. It has a Sony sound and I can’t get enough of it.

There was plenty more to try and perhaps talk about, but I will end here, since the goal was to share some immediate thoughts, in case they are of help to some of you.

A big shout out to the @TheMiddleSky once again. He is super cool.

bfd4aab0-6b6e-46f6-962d-14c60eeadeac.jpeg

And to the group of lovely folks who turned up to hang out with me, what a pleasure it was to meet all of you in person and get to know you. I am certain we will keep in touch and hope to see some of you in Canjam Singapore.

a57ea77c-26fb-4055-9e1e-fa891e936814.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 8:03 AM Post #81,964 of 88,266
As my Indonesia trip winds down, wanted to drop a quick post and share photos of our audiophile hangout in the lovely city of Jakarta. The meet-ups were coordinated by the rather enterprising @TheMiddleSky.

Of course, Jakarta is not “lovely” in the sense in which Bali is lovely. Its a city with traffic, great steel and concrete structures, and frenzied folks trying to augment wealth and incomes, as they should.

But the city has friendly and hospitable people, the traffic magically seems to have lessened compared to the last time I was here, and the food continues to be one of the best in the world. I am, though, particularly biased towards South East Asian cuisine. Even variants of the noodle soup, between Indonesia, Singapore and Thailand get me excited, so there’s that. I do think its an acquired taste though, which I didn’t quite possess all my life.

Speaking of acquired tastes I spent a bit of time hanging out at the luxury watch reseller market which is somehow rather impressive in Jakarta. Indonesia is a trillion dollar economy mind you, and is forecasted to become one of the drivers of global growth in the coming decades, along with India and a few others. Rolexes, APs, and Pateks go for higher prices in the used market (several models do) but Jakarta prices were far better than prices in many countries.

But, of course, I digress. The real purpose of this post and the enjoyment of this trip was derived at a fantastic little audio store in South Jakarta, known as Beyond the Music, or BTM, in short. We were joined by a select group of audiophiles in Jakarta including a few HeadFi regulars.

A high-point for me was getting to try some of the newer headphone releases which have evaded me ever since I waded into the IEM kiddy pool. Of course, I jest. IEMs are for grown-ups as much as headphones or speakers. But without further ado, photos of some fine products I got to audition.

I posted impressions on the Canpur 622B earlier and while I appreciated its tonal balance and very-impressive-for-BA bass, let’s just say that I wouldn’t personally buy it on the basis of a first listen. The treble was a bit too kind for my liking. I don’t like my treble too kind. I like spice but not so much that I get gas.

Next, I got to try Hedd’s very, very, very-impressive-for-the-price, HEDDphone V2.

The HEDDphone V2 is light, comfortable, super ergonomic, with a tonal profile that is somehow airy for days without getting bright, very resolving, and even has a bit of punch and impact! And it way outperforms most contenders at $2000. It is definitively flying under the radar for most headphone-first audiophiles.

I do have to say I figured out that the chain in question had something to do with unlocking the might of the HEDD V2, namely the Cengrand Silverfox and DS DAC.

I understand that this brand has elicited mixed feelings in the community but another reputable reviewer @project86 has reviewed their amp so do check it out. The thing with this set up, particularly, the amp, is that it has different settings to elicit different sonic profiles, but the chain I listened to was just the Bee’s knees. It was smooth yes, but not in-your-face smooth. It was on the right side of smooth. So it still sounded very textured, with a wonderfully extended treble, a rich organic midrange, and a damn dynamic bass. I understand there are disagreements about its bass, but in my listening, the bass was gorgeous. And you all know by now how much I like my bass.

Overall, there were plenty of wonderful DAC Amps at BTM including the venerable Feliks Envy and Rockna Wavedream, the “punchy DAC”. I have always appreciated the Wavedream with the Susvara.

Meanwhile, I did get to change my mind on DCA headphones. Basically, so far in my audio journey, I have not met a single DCA headphone that I wanted to own. That’s largely why I have never reviewed a DCA headphone. I just couldn’t be bothered. The reasons are more than one but it mostly came down to the non-existent bass impact, at least given my preferences for bass. However, the DCA E3 is a phenomenal closedback, and the hype is very well-deserved. Thankfully, it’s nor flying under the radar like the HEDD V2. I love how airy it sounds (partly a result of the tuning and partly the cengrand chain) and it finally has some proper bass slam!

I also got to try the Abyss Diana MR which was all right. But nothing to write home about. Yes, they fixed some of the issues of the previous Diana models, but Diana shaped headphones just don’t work for me sonically, somehow. Yes, the treble is better but still metallic, and the bass is powerful, but the mids are odd and peaky and timbrally off. The MR did stage incredibly well, but it has been overhyped by YouTube reviewers, IMHO. YMMV.

The highlight for me, in so far as IEMs go, was the Vision Ears VEX. If you are treble sensitive or otherwise prefer a warm tuning, then look, absolutely no further, especially if you can afford its price tag of $3000. It is well-priced though and likely outperforms technically and given my subjective preferences for DD bass, tonally as well, many UM IEMs far more expensive. I just loved the VEX in its fit, finish and sort of being able to culminate the VE sound. Top IEM this one.

I also had listening time with the AK Odyssey. I was surprised to find an unsold unit in Jakarta and as always, it delivers some incredible EE bass.

Last but not least, I got to try Hiby’s R8 II DAP. The Alcantara reminded me of Surface laptops and given my subjective preferences for aesthetics and design, I wasn’t feeling it. At all. Creative, yes. But not a design aesthetic that is likely to catch on. I also didn’t feel the red colorway. The shade of red or crimson didn’t work for me but of course this is hyper-subjective territory.

Sonically, the DAP was a pleasant surprise in being able to trade blows with my trusty WM1ZM2. I quite liked it. But I prefer the vintage sound of my Sony still. It has a Sony sound and I can’t get enough of it.

There was plenty more to try and perhaps talk about, but I will end here, since the goal was to share some immediate thoughts, in case they are of help to some of you.

And to the group of lovely folks who turned up to hang out with me, what a pleasure it was to meet all of you in person and get to know you. I am certain we will keep in touch and hope to see some of you in Canjam Singapore.

Another great audiophile travel blog (ATB) entry. Love these @Sajid Amit, thanks for taking the time to share it.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #81,965 of 88,266
All good choices ! Elite is clean, dynamic - prob better with warmer iems. I have 707 also and use it more. Just because its more convenient as a dap. Sounds good - warmer and a bit more analogue than DC Elite and pairs better with brighter iems. But for streaming its not bit perfect, and if online the battery life is pretty bad. But excellent if wifi / bt is off.
I had the DC Elite and W4 at the same time and was able to do an A/B comparison with Mentor and Anni 2023. W4 was sold shortly thereafter- I find the DC Elite to be really impressive sounding!

Feb 22, 2024 at 9:29 AM Post #81,966 of 88,266
I had the DC Elite and W4 at the same time and was able to do an A/B comparison with Mentor and Anni 2023. W4 was sold shortly thereafter- I find the DC Elite to be really impressive sounding!
Do you still have any notes from the A/B Mentor vs Anni 2023?

Feb 22, 2024 at 9:33 AM Post #81,967 of 88,266
Do you still have any notes from the A/B Mentor vs Anni 2023?
I don't, unfortunately. I found Anni 2023 to sound unlike anything else I had heard before (having such special treble that seemed to extend forever) but I thought that the Mentor is the far better all-rounder. More satisfying bass response (in my opinion)+better staging kind of sealed the deal for me.

So for me Mentor definitely outdid Anni in the areas that matter to me most.

Feb 22, 2024 at 9:35 AM Post #81,968 of 88,266

IMG_8772.jpeg

IMG_8774.jpeg

IMG_8731.jpeg

IMG_8667.jpeg

IMG_8678.jpeg

IMG_8673.jpeg

IMG_8628.jpeg

IMG_8581.jpeg

IMG_8591.jpeg

IMG_8584.jpeg

IMG_8574.jpeg

Meanwhile, I did get to change my mind on DCA headphones. Basically, so far in my audio journey, I have not met a single DCA headphone that I wanted to own. That’s largely why I have never reviewed a DCA headphone. I just couldn’t be bothered. The reasons are more than one but it mostly came down to the non-existent bass impact, at least given my preferences for bass. However, the DCA E3 is a phenomenal closedback, and the hype is very well-deserved. Thankfully, it’s nor flying under the radar like the HEDD V2. I love how airy it sounds (partly a result of the tuning and partly the cengrand chain) and it finally has some proper bass slam!

IMG_8587.jpeg

IMG_8592.jpeg

IMG_8594.jpeg

IMG_8596.jpeg

IMG_8598.jpeg

Out of all of that lovely gear, it's the ddhifi rack that caught my eye! Spotted it on the net a few days ago and looks ideal for desktop.

Feb 22, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #81,969 of 88,266
I don't, unfortunately. I found Anni 2023 to sound unlike anything else I had heard before (having such special treble that seemed to extend forever) but I thought that the Mentor is the far better all-rounder. More satisfying bass response (in my opinion)+better staging kind of sealed the deal for me.

So for me Mentor definitely outdid Anni in the areas that matter to me most.

The more time I spend with Anni the better the bass gets, maybe its the driver that needs more burn in. Have around 100h on the Anni at this point and the bass feels much more textured than before. I dont think its pure brain "burn-in" me getting used to Anni presentation, since I regullary listen to Susvara and Atrium Closed, Traillii inbeetween.

Right now Traillii & Anni 2023 feel like perfect complimentary pairs. Traillii still absolutely unmatched as an allrounder. Probably would let go most of my over ears and keep it, if I had to decide.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 9:44 AM Post #81,970 of 88,266
The more time I spend with Anni the better the bass gets, maybe its the driver that needs more burn in. Have around 100h on the Anni at this point and the bass feels much more textured than before. I dont think its pure brain "burn-in" me getting used to Anni presentation, since I regullary listen to Susvara and Atrium Closed, Traillii inbeetween.

Right now Traillii & Anni 2023 feel like perfect complimentary pairs. Traillii still absolutely unmatched as an allrounder. Probably would let go most of my over ears and keep it, if I had to decide.
I need to finally get around to hearing Traillii- quite the lasting appeal, considering how long ago it actually came out!

Feb 22, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #81,971 of 88,266
I have Traillii ranked #12 and Mentor #13 in my collection. All arounders. Very pleasant tuning. Both are knocked out of the top 10 due to timbre not the way I like it. Too smooth, not gritty enough. This is not a knock on them. Any thing in my top 20 is magnificent and purely due to preferences and not quality.
Can you please list your top 20 from 1 - 20. It would be nice to know your preferences.

Feb 22, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #81,972 of 88,266
Stop dragging me into your hole friend :D

But yeah excited for the Amsterdam meet up to try it =]

IMG_8772.jpeg

IMG_8774.jpeg

IMG_8731.jpeg

IMG_8667.jpeg

IMG_8678.jpeg

IMG_8673.jpeg

IMG_8628.jpeg

IMG_8581.jpeg

IMG_8591.jpeg

IMG_8584.jpeg

IMG_8574.jpeg

IMG_8587.jpeg

IMG_8592.jpeg

IMG_8594.jpeg

IMG_8596.jpeg

IMG_8598.jpeg

that patek, nice. Since you've heard the Masskobo 465, how do you rate these with regard to it?

Feb 22, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #81,973 of 88,266

IMG_8772.jpeg

IMG_8774.jpeg

IMG_8731.jpeg

IMG_8667.jpeg

IMG_8678.jpeg

IMG_8673.jpeg

IMG_8628.jpeg

IMG_8581.jpeg

IMG_8591.jpeg

IMG_8584.jpeg

IMG_8574.jpeg

IMG_8587.jpeg

IMG_8592.jpeg

IMG_8594.jpeg

IMG_8596.jpeg

IMG_8598.jpeg

Excellent write up Sajid! Feel free to let me know once you have to visit Jakarta again haha.

See you in Canjam Singapore!

Feb 22, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #81,974 of 88,266

IMG_8772.jpeg

IMG_8774.jpeg

IMG_8731.jpeg

IMG_8667.jpeg

IMG_8678.jpeg

IMG_8673.jpeg

IMG_8628.jpeg

IMG_8581.jpeg

IMG_8591.jpeg

IMG_8584.jpeg

IMG_8574.jpeg

Meanwhile, I did get to change my mind on DCA headphones. Basically, so far in my audio journey, I have not met a single DCA headphone that I wanted to own. That’s largely why I have never reviewed a DCA headphone. I just couldn’t be bothered. The reasons are more than one but it mostly came down to the non-existent bass impact, at least given my preferences for bass. However, the DCA E3 is a phenomenal closedback, and the hype is very well-deserved. Thankfully, it’s not flying under the radar like the HEDD V2. I love how airy it sounds (partly a result of the tuning and partly the cengrand chain) and it finally has some proper bass slam!

IMG_8587.jpeg

IMG_8592.jpeg

IMG_8594.jpeg

IMG_8596.jpeg

IMG_8598.jpeg

Excellent writeup and tour-guiding as always! And +1 to your VE 10 remarks. I'm really appreciating its warmth and excellent mids. Great with vocal-focused music in particular.

Feb 22, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #81,975 of 88,266
Out of all of that lovely gear, it's the ddhifi rack that caught my eye! Spotted it on the net a few days ago and looks ideal for desktop.
good for desktop amplifiers and DAC but I feel for big amps and DACs, those in pic, need proper stand with vibration absorbing feet etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back