The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 19, 2024 at 8:28 AM Post #81,737 of 90,100
No, I didn't. I've never heard of Makaya, to be honest. I'll have to check him out. Aside from Cory and Nate, we saw Grace Kelly and Jesus Molina at JJF'23. It was a great year all around. I'm super excited for Rai Thistlethwayte and Yussef Dayes this year, and I'm still praying Snarky Puppy finally come back and I get witness their greatness live again. :)
I would bet good money that if you saw Makaya at a show you would leave as a fan. Of all the wonderful artists involved in the current wave of modern Jazz resurgence led by London/Chicago/LA, Makaya is my personal favorite. I saw him and Sons of Kemet at a small festival last year. He has a way of blending delicate arrangements with muscular virtuosity. It's the type of feeling I get only when listening to jazz bands with drummers as band leaders, which as a drummer (if I recall correctly) you might enjoy as well. Personal recs: Universal Beings (incredible usage of jazz harp in tracks like Young Genius), and In These Times (the track Seventh String highlights the drumming for me). If you do decide to listen let me know, I'd be interested in your thoughts!

Feb 19, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #81,738 of 90,100
Good evening my friends. Just today, I had a strange occurrence with Tidal. When an album is downloaded to the DAP, its contents wouldn't show when I try access it. However, I could access the same album through my mobile phone. Has anyone come across this before?

1000025403.jpg

Feb 19, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #81,739 of 90,100
Good evening my friends. Just today, I had a strange occurrence with Tidal. When an album is downloaded to the DAP, its contents wouldn't show when I try access it. However, I could access the same album through my mobile phone. Has anyone come across this before?

1000025403.jpg
Lately Tidal is doing strange things to me, and giving me errors like this, every day.

I don't know what they're doing, but it's working worse and worse.

Feb 19, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #81,741 of 90,100

1000025403.jpg
Appears to be a Tidal problem.

Screenshot_19-2-2024_83035_downdetector.com.jpeg

Feb 19, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #81,742 of 90,100

1000025403.jpg

Similar issue with Tidal on my N30LE where i was unable to view some saved albums. Was able to fix my issue by clearing cache and app data in Settings > Apps > Tidal > Storage

Feb 19, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #81,744 of 90,100
Finally tried the Vision Ears VE10 and quite enjoyed it. What a lovely warm sound signature and the bass was pretty excellent in depth, impact and tactility. Mids, well, you know, VE mids: as good as it gets. The treble sounded more or less warm. And the cable is quite excellent in looks and ergonomics. Technicalities deliver for the price.

IMG_8592.jpeg

Drove it off my WM1ZM2. Have a feeling the IEM will sound more articulate in the treble with a bright-neutral DAP. I didn’t also tip roll so there’s that.

IMG_8594.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #81,745 of 90,100
Another IEM I got to try today that I have been meaning to for a while, thanks to @TheMiddleSky is the Canpur 622B.

IMG_8566.jpeg

My first impression of this set was that it looks and feels so premium!

My second was that it sounds effortless in delivery from bass to treble, albeit on the slightly smoother side. It’s not the best IEM I have ever heard, in any one category, but its very good and balanced and forgiving with some of the most realistic renditions of BA bass I have come across.

IMG_8565.jpeg

B1109751-A642-4680-98DF-FCB0645B58F9.jpeg

It doesn’t match certain TOTL IEMs for pure resolution (eg Anni or even Jewel) but I suppose many of us don’t index so hard for resolution as much as musical enjoyment.

It is still quite good though in resolving textures and finer information in the music just not in my top tier for this trait.

Overall: what a fabulous experience it was to meet @TheMiddleSky and then hang out in the store, Beyond the Music, with Indonesia-based audiophiles. More gear impressions forthcoming.

63f3ec01-a790-41be-bb03-6be9407efc0e.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #81,746 of 90,100
what a fabulous experience it was to meet @TheMiddleSky and then hang out in his store, Beyond the Music
Awesome! Bought my U18t from him; months later to be replaced with Sultan. Speaking of which:

Am I in trouble demoing CP622b and VE X at our European meetup?

drftr

Feb 19, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #81,747 of 90,100
It doesn’t match certain TOTL IEMs for pure resolution (eg Anni or even Jewel) but I suppose many of us don’t index so hard for resolution as much as musical enjoyment.

Pretty much. Jewel was for me only good as monitor for analytical reference listen, not much for fun. Anni is fun with nice detail retrieval, but can get fatiguing after 2h even in the morning. For laid back sessions Traillii takes the cake hands down. Cant even say I feel it misses out on resolution against other two,but its just so much better tuned to my ear than jewel and so much more relaxed than Anni. Really not sure which direction I should head next and if. Anni and Traillii basically cover all my bases. Still super curious about Trifecta though.

Feb 19, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #81,748 of 90,100
Pretty much. Jewel was for me only good as monitor for analytical reference listen, not much for fun. Anni is fun with nice detail retrieval, but can get fatiguing after 2h even in the morning. For laid back sessions Traillii takes the cake hands down. Cant even say I feel it misses out on resolution against other two,but its just so much better tuned to my ear than jewel and so much more relaxed than Anni. Really not sure which direction I should head next and if. Anni and Traillii basically cover all my bases. Still super curious about Trifecta though.
Traillii and Annihilator are a wonderful pair to settle down with. I’ll bring the Trifecta to the Amsterdam meeting as well, so you could can hear it there. I’d also recommend trying my Xe6. Both are very different from what you have and could make a case for being added to the collection.

Feb 19, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #81,749 of 90,100

1000025403.jpg
Yes it happened to me as well on the Gold Brick as well as other DAPs. Solved it by switching to another streaming service. Also, seemed like solved on one would solve all affected DAPs.

Feb 19, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #81,750 of 90,100
The Trifecta, for me, was unforgettable. It imposed a much greater impression on me, when compared to the Anni - and even the Traillii. A man could say that listening to the Trifecta would be his "jaw-dropping" moment. 🍺

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back