The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 17, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #81,601 of 91,398
Check out Robert "Sput" Searight from Ghost-Note as well! :) funkiest concert I ever saw

I’m a huge fan of his! I’ve been one since his days on Snarky Puppy, and, yeah, Ghost-Note’s definitely one of the funkiest bands around. I’ve seen every Zildjian Live and VFJams performance they’ve been apart of, and they kill it every time (even tho’ Sput plays keys on those, which he’s also pretty darn good at :D).

Tbh, another problem with some of this pricing is that once you release the next version of your flagship, you can't price it lower because people are going to assume it being inferior. So, we got a snowball effect here :D
Aroma literally just released the Fei Wan at a lower price than the Jewel, and it’s arguably the most talked-about TOTL IEM right now. Ditto to the VE X, which is cheaper than the EXT and PHoNIX, or the 64 Audio Volur, which a lot of people are calling 64’s best IEM to date. One could argue semantics and say they’re different line-ups or whatever, but they are proof that brands can release newer and better without making them pricier.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #81,602 of 91,398
Unless a true market disruptor stands up to shake the tree and do the exact same thing for half the price. They would attract such a large fan base that the quantity would easily make up for the lower price. Like, I have been suggesting Noble a couple of times to not work on an improved Ronin that is way more expensive, but to work on one with the same qualities but for 50% of the price. Because that is how you create fans and a market reset. And your fans sell way more IEMs for you than your marketing department; no matter how good.

drftr
Honestly I am not sure the target audience would notice that, but I might be wrong. I do imagine the money factor has quite the impact on perceived audio quality, with and without cheaper reference points.

Were moving drivers ever a thing in speakers? Is it possible? I was imagining a speaker system with motorized auto adjustable drivers that move their coil around to change the targeted sonic position based on personal preference or self-measuring algorithms.
Any thoughts on this from anyone here?

Feb 17, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #81,603 of 91,398
Completely different topic, but an idea that came to my head just now, regarding speakers:

Were moving drivers ever a thing in speakers? Is it possible? I was imagining a speaker system with motorized auto adjustable drivers that move their coil around to change the targeted sonic position based on personal preference or self-measuring algorithms.
Any thoughts on this from anyone here?
Well they are not motorized the Wilson speakers do exactly that, the sub section is stationary and mids and tweeters are on little mechanical tilt and slide mechanisms.

Here is a close up of one of the mechanisms
IMG_3485.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #81,604 of 91,398
I’m a huge fan of his! I’ve been one since his days on Snarky Puppy, and, yeah, Ghost-Note’s definitely one of the funkiest bands around. I’ve seen every Zildjian Live and VFJams performance they’ve been apart of, and they kill it every time (even tho’ Sput plays keys on those, which he’s also pretty darn good at :D).

Aroma literally just released the Fei Wan at a lower price than the Jewel, and it’s arguably the most talked-about TOTL IEM right now. Ditto to the VE X, which is cheaper than the EXT and PHoNIX, or the 64 Audio Volur, which a lot of people are calling 64’s best IEM to date. One could argue semantics and say they’re different line-ups or whatever, but they are proof that brands can release newer and better without making them pricier.

None of these iems are the "next" version of the same model :wink: They are differently marketed iems. In case of Mason the previous version was FS Le Jardin at $8k, so the next version "has" to be more lol But anyway, I think we beat this topic to death already. Time to move on :D

Feb 17, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #81,605 of 91,398
None of these iems are the "next" version of the same model :wink: They are differently marketed iems. In case of Mason the previous version was FS Le Jardin at $8k, so the next version "has" to be more lol But anyway, I think we beat this topic to death already. Time to move on :D
Sounds like a hole UM has dug for themselves. Thankfully most other manufacturers are still back at ~$4K with their flagships.

Feb 17, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #81,606 of 91,398
The issue isn't that my head is wide (it's actually looooong instead) but that my damaged scalp can't be touched as the skin is basically 0.1 mm thick after several 2nd degree burns. If I rub it or dry it with a towel it's open. This is a pic of 3 years ago and it probably makes clear why I don't want anything to touch that area, even though it looks much better now. But it's bathing in special scar cream 24/7 and I wouldn't want that on my headphones either.

_Hoofd 5.jpg

Tis but a scratch.

drftr
This is brutal and I’m amazed you have healed after that, let alone are considering headphones.
Perhaps a market opportunity is cans with some other method of being held to a person’s head. You could be the poster child for such an innovation!

Feb 17, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #81,607 of 91,398
Thanks, y’all. Sounds like going custom will be my best bet. That takes some IEMs out of the running. Getting closer…
If you can take a drive up 95 to NYC for can jam in a couple weeks you can preview any number of contenders before committing. I can’t recommend this enough.

Feb 17, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #81,608 of 91,398
This is brutal and I’m amazed you have healed after that, let alone are considering headphones.
Perhaps a market opportunity is cans with some other method of being held to a person’s head. You could be the poster child for such an innovation!
Working on it as we speak. Nuts and bolts next.

1000314968.jpg

drftr

Feb 17, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #81,609 of 91,398

It depends on the purpose of the TOTL for the biz. In the case of UM, I think their TOTL sets are to get marketing buzz out there for their brand for pull through sales of MESTs. All of the controversy on price has generated a lot of views. People who won't buy them and criticize it don't matter. Who matters are the people who end up buying it because they heard it, love it and can afford to buy it and otherwise never would have had they not caught wind of the controversy. But their biggest win is from those who end up buying MEST because they end up liking the brand. If this is the role for the TOTL, then they want it at the highest price possible. It doesn't even matter if they sell out fast. If they sell 20-99 sets of these TOTL, that is a small contribution economically to the bottom line of the company. If anything, any loss can be attributed to their marketing budget. When UM sells 99 Mason FS units, they sell over 1000 MESTs. That's real money. Don't pay attention to the $8000 set. Pay attention to the $1500 Set. That's where they make their money.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #81,611 of 91,398
Good point here. I’m in a bit of a predicament. I had MM for over a year. It just didn’t resonate with me and I moved on to Anni and Trifecta and Rn6. Then I was fortunate to buy the N30 and two weeks ago I hooked up the Mentor to it and I haven’t stopped listening. Like one of those moments. The imaging and holographic sounds of my music being brought to life. Now I wonder what AP would sound like? Believe me I want to hear it badly. However, at a discounted price to AP I consider the Mentor as a champ and does the AP justify me spending 3.5k more to get that improvement in bass and such? I don’t know? My point is they hit with an incredible product in MM at a price that was much lower than the new flagships. And I get these are flagships and people pay for them. So it’s a bit reverse psychology right now for me and I want to trust that AP is worth more but I am so happy right now with MM I just hesitate feeling like I have to have it.

Feb 17, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #81,612 of 91,398
Good point here. I’m in a bit of a predicament. I had MM for over a year. It just didn’t resonate with me and I moved on to Anni and Trifecta and Rn6. Then I was fortunate to buy the N30 and two weeks ago I hooked up the Mentor to it and I haven’t stopped listening. Like one of those moments. The imaging and holographic sounds of my music being brought to life. Now I wonder what AP would sound like? Believe me I want to hear it badly. However, at a discounted price to AP I consider the Mentor as a champ and does the AP justify me spending 3.5k more to get that improvement in bass and such? I don’t know? My point is they hit with an incredible product in MM at a price that was much lower than the new flagships. And I get these are flagships and people pay for them. So it’s a bit reverse psychology right now for me and I want to trust that AP is worth more but I am so happy right now with MM I just hesitate feeling like I have to have it.
Could you sum up differences between N8ii and N30 please since you own both. Would be especially interesting in regard of Anni 2023, Traillii and Trifecta.

Feb 17, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #81,613 of 91,398
Feb 17, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #81,614 of 91,398
Hyper mode in N30 and the flexibility and power you derive is amazing. It’s got the power to drive the Anni and it does beautifully. It’s an amp and it’s a DAC and it’s truly special in terms of bringing even your old iem products to life. A true watershed for me. My N8 may never see the light of day again.

With Trifecta follow the lead of so many here and go with Sony WM1Z or such. You can find them frequently on the secondary market and it’s the perfect pairing to just balance it out and accentuates the best features of Trifecta. I don’t enjoy it much on the Cayin and prefer it in SS mode when I do over the tubes with Hyper mode. It’s hyper enough. But a special set especially for classic rock. Trifecta reminds me of a good 2 channel system playing loudly and cranking the guitars and such. In your face bliss. The Sony is the way to go.

Feb 17, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #81,615 of 91,398
I hear AP as a direct upgrade to MM. If you like MM, you will probably love AP. It is currently my favorite IEM. N30LE is my favorite pairing with it along with the 1950s Shielding cable. That said, if you love MM, keep listening to it. Just enjoy the music. You can pick up an AP a year from now for half the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back