The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 27, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #79,831 of 88,254
Sufjan is truly such a treasure. His newest album is beautiful.
Agreed! Javelin has received the most play time of all my music in the past few months.

Jan 27, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #79,832 of 88,254
This is exactly the point. I have no horse in this race. AP aside I've never really connected with a UM IEM and have a very hard line on what I'm willing to spend on a pair of IEMs. Nothing UM does (and they've been doing it for a while) in any way whatsoever inhibits my own ability to find what I'm after at prices I'm willing to spend. People talk about "the market" as though it's one homogeneous thing-- it is not. There are many different markets within this hobby. UM markets primarily to a bracket who can and will spend whatever it takes to get what they want. Some of them are in this thread but the vast majority of them are not. No matter who you are or what your tastes are there is something out there that is ideal at a price you'll be able to afford-- and this shows no signs of changing any time soon. That in itself is a fact worthy of celebration and gratitude.

In their defense the marked up Andromeda and Solaris came in concert with a totally new design. It wasn't like they just jacked the price for a nominal change in product. Whether one likes the IEMs or feels they're worth it is up to the individual, and whether they were marketed effectively is an entirely different matter.

Again, this is hardly the same thing. The OG version of the Trifecta was called the premier edition and was limited to 333 units. As someone who bought one of those it was apparent well before the product was even relesed that this was to be the first of different colorways of the Trifecta.

That just suggests to me that likely what is going on here is that they have refused him review samples of their IEMs and he's angry so he's attacking them. He has a long history of weaponizing his influence and platform in exactly this way and for exactly this reason.

False. The main goal is to cultivate a community of people who share similar ideals and passions and to provide a platform to help people with a wide variety of tastes and inclinations find what it is that will make them happy-- and this is quite varied. This thread is a nexus of all levels of this hobby and as such it needs to be a climate where industry people, consumers, and everyone else can come together harmoniously. While you do see many practices and brands get called out from time to time this is by no means a police state-- ultimately the ideal is for each individual to gather information and decide for themselves what is worth pursuing. We don't rely on influencers, shills, industry hypsters or anyone else to tell us what to listen to.

As I've said before HBB's audience contains a lot of people who are living vicariously through his bad-boy image and giant penoosh. Many of these influencers have fans who display the same sort of blind devotion they like to "call out" in others around certain audio brands and products. In other news I actually found an image of what looks to be HBB and @Melodaudioman:

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-17 at 14.16.34.jpeg
Excellent and detailed response to let some of our newer members understand the reviewer in question has other objectives beyond reviewing audio equipment.

Jan 27, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #79,833 of 88,254
Not referring to you here at all, I think people should be allowed to have their own opinion and express it here as long as they're not attacking anyone. I think @Melodaudioman did the exact opposite of attacking. The fact that most here have a different opinion than he has doesn't mean his opinion is less worthy than ours. We can surely add relevant info saying why we have a different opinion but that's it. After that it's either a mental ignore or the button version. I for one am always interested in what the other side has to say, and I feel I can learn more from people that have a different point of view than from people that say the exact same thing I do.

Sorry again for using your post to reflect on this...

drftr
No, no, this is literally exactly what I'm saying. Pretty much my entire point.

Jan 27, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #79,834 of 88,254
Never underestimate a nice collection of tips, life saver for the special ones.
so real. The amount of times I put away a pair of tips only for them to magically click later on, or be a perfect match up for a new IEM… and plus it’s not as harmful to the hardware as cable swapping if you want to change the sound a bit. Using the Coreir right now for some metalcore, but I typically don’t like these on faster electronic music, I’ll swap on the Baroque or W1.

Gotta catch em all. Build that tip collection if you’re reading this and don’t have one!

Jan 27, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #79,835 of 88,254
I have not directly compared.
Miroak-II is more analogue type of sound where its more acceptable for bad recordings with a thicker and slower sound, warm bass and midrange with clear treble thats never tiresome. W shaped signature.
TS-316 then being more fast and technical, with more sub bass and treble emphasis. U shaped sound.
Both being on the fun side, and dont make the other redundant.

Fit is a weird one, I bet that TS-316 will fit more ears as it have a more universal design.
Personally I find Miroak-II more secure, and comfort the same.
But I have apparently large Dumbo ear holes, that are deep where the groove for the tip seal.
So on the TS-316 I need to use more sticky and large tips so the dont fall out(SednaEarfit Xelastec/Vivid), while on the Miroak-II I can use whatever (current faovorite on it Divinus Velvet). Never underestimate a nice collection of tips, life saver for the special ones.

My issue so far with the TS-316 is that my left ear in particular seems to fail with most any tip I use. I've been trying the Baroques and W1s and each seem to require frequent-ish push backs into that ear. My right sometimes, but less so. I worry it might mainly be the shell weight doing it. Xelastecs irritate my ears and I hate the tacky feeling, so I don't use those. Texturally I prefer the Final Type E (which the Baroques are similar to), but those don't work particularly well on the TS-316.

I feel like I'm somewhat damned to stick with customs if I just want them to stay in, which is why I was concerned that the 634ears options might cause a problem, particularly with the LOAK 2. Even my Sharonas aren't always 1000% perfect on the seal and need an adjustment now and then, but they at least always stay in my ears. But that's why I mentioned the new E10, too.

Again, for the price, it seems like the MIROAK-II is a good deal, but I have so little to go off of. I was eyeing the Project M as well as it's in that same price range and supposedly has a very good fit, while punching far above its price point per reviews. That green brass just looks so damn good though.

Jan 27, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #79,836 of 88,254
You're correct on the price, and being handmade at $320ish USD seems like a steal on the current market, assuming the sound quality is good. The LOAK 2 is a little under twice as expensive (~$600 USD), and I was told via email that that it's a better choice if I prioritize treble over bass. If the inherent technical abilities are better across the board, it might be something worth considering, but given the shape of those versus the MIROAK-II (a bit more bullet-y), I do worry about the fit and falling out of my ears.

I don't think I'm saying anything that people here don't know, but just in case... the yen is very weak and has been for a while. So it's a good time for people abroad to pick up anything made in Japan, if they can get it at the prices offered in Japan or close to it.

Oh and the fit of the Miroak-II is excellent. Light, bullet-y indeed, and overall they're just fantastic IEMs.

Jan 27, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #79,838 of 88,254
I don't think I'm saying anything that people here don't know, but just in case... the yen is very weak and has been for a while. So it's a good time for people abroad to pick up anything made in Japan, if they can get it at the prices offered in Japan or close to it.

Oh and the fit of the Miroak-II is excellent. Light, bullet-y indeed, and overall they're just fantastic IEMs.
+1, the yen to usd exchange rate is really great right now. I have suspicions (nothing I can prove, mind you) that at the rate I've bought import albums and figures the last six months, I've more or less single-handedly kept Japan's economy afloat. So, y'know, if any of y'all are reading this and also shipping my Kotobukiya Vulcan Science Office figurine...you're welcome.

Jan 27, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #79,840 of 88,254
My issue so far with the TS-316 is that my left ear in particular seems to fail with most any tip I use. I've been trying the Baroques and W1s and each seem to require frequent-ish push backs into that ear. My right sometimes, but less so. I worry it might mainly be the shell weight doing it. Xelastecs irritate my ears and I hate the tacky feeling, so I don't use those. Texturally I prefer the Final Type E (which the Baroques are similar to), but those don't work particularly well on the TS-316.

I feel like I'm somewhat damned to stick with customs if I just want them to stay in, which is why I was concerned that the 634ears options might cause a problem, particularly with the LOAK 2. Even my Sharonas aren't always 1000% perfect on the seal and need an adjustment now and then, but they at least always stay in my ears. But that's why I mentioned the new E10, too.

Again, for the price, it seems like the MIROAK-II is a good deal, but I have so little to go off of. I was eyeing the Project M as well as it's in that same price range and supposedly has a very good fit, while punching far above its price point per reviews. That green brass just looks so damn good though.
I have the Loak Prototype 3 which was a limited release along with Loak 2.

It fits like a glue.

Jan 27, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #79,841 of 88,254
Oh wow the seven deadly sins. Keep preaching brother. Don't get some of your holier than now spittle on your liturgical vestments.

Yes as a matter of fact human beings can be insulted by the actions of business entities. Oh we're not allowed to criticize greed? One of the biggest problems facing the world today. Not saying in this specific product is a huge problem for the world, But greed overall, And this is part of it.

Why should they be immune to that and what weird world can we not call out business practices? That's a strange and regressive world you want to live in.
Nah, not holier than though. I am no different than anyone who posts here. Just providing advice that you can take or discard. Being angry about what an mfg does is not helpful to someone's own mental health. We have a tremendous mental health issue in this country and worrying about things that a) you can't control or b) that doesn't impact you, is not a good idea. Moreover, some of us need to be self aware of our own issues. Some of the bitterness that people hold towards others is indeed envy and that is not healthy. I cannot afford a private jet and private jets are not good for the environment, yet I don't wake up and post to the Gulfstream message boards on how awful those companies are. That's a waste of time and effort. As I mentioned in my subsequent post, this is a discussion thread. Post whatever you want. It's great if it's relevant information that other potential buyers can help with their decisions. If you vent like a Karen just to make yourself feel better, then do that somewhere else, please. It's boring and when done excessively leads to my ignore list.

Jan 27, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #79,843 of 88,254
Okay, I'll say it, oh my gourd, what are those?! Sorry...:head_bandage:
Gourdous.
In the cornucopia.

1706378293590.jpeg

Jan 27, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #79,845 of 88,254
Agree, it's a lot of money for what you're getting. They've been using the same shells since Mason, just a mix up of colour which was absolutely blatent with Jardin when they mixed Mason and RH. Driver wise I don't see where the additional cost comes from as it's been so incremental due to relatively frequent release. I guess Storm is a prime example of a relatively expensive IEM that's actually had a lot of R&D, innovation and on the face of it, hard work behind the scenes to genuinely make an effort to produce a TOTL IEM. UM on the other hand seem to wake up on a Sunday morning, make one slight week to an already successful design then throw it out on Monday morning with added tax. I don't mind paying a premium for good sound but the price needs to be justified and I think UM are taking advantage of previous success and continually dressing up the same old in new clothes then holding their hand out asking sir, can I have more please sir. Not knocking them for making a good sounding IEM but the effort behind the design changes doesn't match the price for me. Half a page of marketing waffle telling us all about the name / "emotion" says it all as there's very little technical change to promote. Milking it would be an understatement.

Anyway, alright strangers, hope you're all keeping well! 😎
You’re the stranger here! Welcome back. Do you have any headfi gear now or are you about to buy everything back? :)

Edit: I forgot the headfi signatures aren’t visible on my iPhone unless I view the pages in landscape.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back