The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 15, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #78,556 of 90,104
20240115_115926.jpgJust finished this guy. It illustrates the recent discussion around here about politics. The potential for a volatile outcome is a strong probability. Love listening to music and making art. How about y’all
Nice! Creating art is all about juggling with ideas.

May I say, like a politician? :wink:

Alright, alright. Make that a philosopher then...

drftr

Jan 15, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #78,557 of 90,104
RN6 has brighter treble in the mid treble. It’s peakier which also gives it more grit and attack, more of a metallic timbre whereas CP622B is slightly brighter in the defintion/ brilliance range, but it’s softer on the ears.

RN6 has a more engaging and bitey treblr, amazing for rock and more dynamic bits, but maybe best in a shorter rocking out session.

CP622B has the engagement to be considered TOTL in dynamics, but it’s certainly not its speciality. It’s a very delicate dance between dynamic (incisive) and ethereal (rippled overtones) treble. It‘s fantastically refined, and makes it a generalist for any music you throw at it.

Ironically, Anni23 and Mentor, though they really are different indeed to my ears, do sound relatively similar if playback is more gentle tempo jazz or instrumental. They both have a similar midbass/ low mid tonality, though their treble is quite different and Mentor doesn’t have the same tonal weight in the sub registers.

I do definitely think the Canpur sounds more like Mentor than Anni23, but it has articulation in the treble rivaling Anni23.

If you like piano, CP622B is the best at that in particular to date. Very difficult to nail the full range of a piano‘s entire scale, especially capturing the nuance of the harmonics and ring in the upper mids, as well as the weight and sustain of the lower octaves. I have a piano track that of the hundreds of iem’s I’ve tried, only about 6 sound “Lifelike” with it, and of those 6, maybe 3 make me go wow. The best, CP622B made me feel like I was outside the realm of what IEM’s can do and almost convinced me it was headphone-tier imaging and outside of head. So tonality + holography/ nuance, very special
A well formulated and absolutely helpful comparison of two already well established IEM and one new candidate which has by your help come up on my radar. Thanks for this support @dleblanc343 .

Jan 15, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #78,560 of 90,104
Jan 15, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #78,561 of 90,104
You need to normalize them though, e.g. at 1 kHz, so they can be compared.

1705264553574.png

Based on this graph I would not expect the Canpur to sound bright compared to e.g. Rn6. I wouldn't expect it to be warm sounding compared to MM either. But graphs don't tell the full story of course.

For the purposes of comparing 2 or more FR graphs, isn't normalizing to 1Khz just an arbitrary convention? One could normalize to another frequency if he wants to, say, start with the bass volume the same on both, and see how the rest of the FR compares. Or one could argue it might be better to normalize by dB (line up the FR graphs along the horizontal axis so they have equal area above and below 0db line). But in this case, how do you compensate for the highest octave of human hearing contributing the least to the overall sound? Or is that already accomplished by the logarithmic frequency axis?

I think this really underscores why it's difficult to get much more than an overall impression by comparing FR graphs. Not to mention those sound characteristics that are not even captured by FR.

Jan 15, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #78,562 of 90,104
For the purposes of comparing 2 or more FR graphs, isn't normalizing to 1Khz just an arbitrary convention? One could normalize to another frequency if he wants to, say, start with the bass volume the same on both, and see how the rest of the FR compares. Or one could argue it might be better to normalize by dB (line up the FR graphs along the horizontal axis so they have equal area above and below 0db line). But in this case, how do you compensate for the highest octave of human hearing contributing the least to the overall sound? Or is that already accomplished by the logarithmic frequency axis?

I think this really underscores why it's difficult to get much more than an overall impression by comparing FR graphs. Not to mention those sound characteristics that are not even captured by FR.
It's arbitrary indeed, and the only way to make it useful is if everyone normalizes at 1 kHz. And since that's what most have picked it's probably most useful for others to continue on that path.

These charts are for comparisons but if you can't then they become more like abstract art.

drftr

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #78,563 of 90,104
As a regular attendee of classical concerts and jazz sessions, and as someone who studied piano at a conservatory until the age of 20 especially the live feeling of listening to music, the feeling of being in the middle of the concert hall just like you called it is very
important o me. And just as you explained, it also seems to me that the perception of moving air plays a key role in triggering the impression of visceral power the orchestra. In this respect, I would like to thank you for your comment and I am now of the opinion that the trifecta is exactly up my alley. Thanks.
There are three technologies that have reproduced this effect for me. CFA dd is definitely one also the Empire subwoofer is fantastic for bassy timbre with Unique Melody bcd driver probably my favorite for transmitting the feeling of live instruments.

Jan 15, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #78,565 of 90,104
Jan 15, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #78,566 of 90,104
Shamelessly plugging, I have my Raven up, looking to trade for a Storm 😉 because why not

Jan 15, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #78,567 of 90,104
It's arbitrary indeed, and the only way to make it useful is if everyone normalizes at 1 kHz. And since that's what most have picked it's probably most useful for others to continue on that path.

These charts are for comparisons but if you can't then they become more like abstract art.

drftr

Time to start framing some graphs and hanging them on the wall. If my girlfriend objects, I've got the "art is subjective!!!!1111" ace card in my back pocket.

Jan 15, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #78,568 of 90,104
I wish. Can one of you bankers or CEOs here buy me a Fei Wan? 😂
Or go to the discover thread, I am sure you will be suggested dozen of cheap Fei Wan alternative.

Jan 15, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #78,569 of 90,104
My favourite combination by far:

Combo.png

drftr

Jan 15, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #78,570 of 90,104

Users who are viewing this thread

Back