The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 14, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #78,376 of 91,357
@fejnomit is taking my Trifectas. I enjoyed one last morning with them. Speed metal is a no-no, but classic rock is insane on these. I think for my next IEM, what I need is treble extension combined with instrument separation (ie, air) and a wide soundstage.
Based on that description maybe the Noble Ragnar is worth a try.

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #78,377 of 91,357
@fejnomit is taking my Trifectas. I enjoyed one last morning with them. Speed metal is a no-no, but classic rock is insane on these. I think for my next IEM, what I need is treble extension combined with instrument separation (ie, air) and a wide soundstage. No idea if Raven is the way to go on that or if there'll be something at CanJam that'll do that for me. I think my biggest regret is there may be nothing out there that can do the kind of staging and separation trifecta can and still combine that with resolution and air. That air chamber design they've made is really something unique.
Based on that description maybe the Noble Ragnar is worth a try.
Why not Anni 2023? This IEM is (with a proper amp!) simply magnificent exactly for what you wrote, among other things. Viking Ragnar is risky because quite fatiguing.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #78,378 of 91,357
Based on the flurry of posts stressing the importance of music library in providing perspective on how well an IEM may or may not work for you, I’ve updated my profile to include that info. Also added my age (yes I’m freakin 60, been a loooooong time in this hobby) as that may be helpful. Most importantly, added Trifecta cause that is staying with me for the foreseeable future. :)

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #78,379 of 91,357
Even if I wasn’t currently on my honeymoon, she’d be the first thing that comes to mind. 😊

IMG_1088.jpeg
Congratulations 🎉 on your wedding!

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #78,380 of 91,357
I’m a pretty quiet and reserved individual so I don’t post much. My question is, I’m looking to buy something special, coming up on 4 years sobriety and music had definitely helped me along the path!
If a man were to spoil him self what IEM would do that? I’ve been looking at the Viking Ragnar, Mentor, and Jewel.
My music preferences are Jazz, R&B, hip-hop and some rap. As I enjoy the details but also a bass hit.
Hopefully I post in the right spot.
-marques
Rn6, Singularity, Bonneville are all wonderful iems. You might also try Camelot (on sale here in the classifieds for $1750), which is an amazing all-rounder iem with excellent bass (quality/quantity)

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #78,381 of 91,357
@fejnomit is taking my Trifectas. I enjoyed one last morning with them. Speed metal is a no-no, but classic rock is insane on these. I think for my next IEM, what I need is treble extension combined with instrument separation (ie, air) and a wide soundstage. No idea if Raven is the way to go on that or if there'll be something at CanJam that'll do that for me. I think my biggest regret is there may be nothing out there that can do the kind of staging and separation trifecta can and still combine that with resolution and air. That air chamber design they've made is really something unique.
Raven will serve you well I think, it excels in having a cavernous stage while having a balanced, bombastic signature and laser sharp separation. Definitely worth a demo if you can.

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #78,382 of 91,357
Bonneville and Spartacus are not TOTL. On the other hand ...

... what is your budget anyway? This is important in order to be able to help you. Between a Bonneville / Spartacus / Singularity / Diva / MK3 – all of them are the best for a budget up to 1500 USD – and the Rn6 – used for 2300–2400 USD –, I'd take the Rn6 any day. Sure, you'll pay about 1000 USD more, but you'll have a great the best all-arounder at TOTL level. For me, the investment would definitely be worth it.
Depends how you define TOTL for yourself. I owned the RN6 for a long while. I currently enjoy my Bonnevilles much more. They sound more like music, have a better stage with better coherence, equally good bass, and less offensive treble. So careful with the absolutes.

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #78,383 of 91,357
Depends how you define TOTL for yourself. I owned the RN6 for a long while. I currently enjoy my Bonnevilles much more. They sound more like music, have a better stage with better coherence, equally good bass, and less offensive treble. So careful with the absolutes.
I 100% concur with this.... I've owned and heard more "traditionally" technical sets than the VE EXT but nothing comes close to making me FEEL and enjoy the music like the EXT does. That's the #1 metric of a TOTL set for me.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #78,384 of 91,357
Okay, whatever, I agree with you. What is TOTL? In general, I'm referring to technicalities (resolution, dynamics, soundstage, quality of bass/mid/treble and the like).

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #78,385 of 91,357
Okay, whatever, I agree with you. What is TOTL? In general, I'm referring to technicalities (resolution, dynamics, soundstage, quality of bass/mid/treble and the like).
So am I

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #78,386 of 91,357
Plus the X-factor of engagement. A set that fails to engage is a fail itself. No amount of technical prowess can make up for a set not sounding like music...

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #78,387 of 91,357
Plus the X-factor of engagement. A set that fails to engage is a fail itself. No amount of technical prowess can make up for a set not sounding like music...
I agree. However, In my opinion, it would be wrong to give the impression that Bonneville can keep up with the Rn6 in the technical and/or engaging area - to a certain extent, the two go hand in hand for me. Of course, differences are always relative and subjectively perceptible. But as far as I'm concerned, there's a huge leap between a Singularity, which is on the same "level" as Bonneville and I had myself, and the Rn6: the Rn6 is on a completely different level. Nope, there is simply no comparison that can be made.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #78,389 of 91,357
I agree. However, In my opinion, it would be wrong to give the impression that Bonneville can keep up with the Rn6 in the technical and/or engaging area - to a certain extent, the two go hand in hand for me. Of course, differences are always relative and subjectively perceptible. But as far as I'm concerned, there's a huge leap between a Singularity, which is on the same "level" as Bonneville and I had myself, and the Rn6: the Rn6 is on a completely different level. Nope, there is simply no comparison that can be made.
Uh, okay, moving on. I've said my piece.

Jan 14, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #78,390 of 91,357
Congratulations @fejnomit on your Trifecta. So with the Cascara, Bonneville & Trifecta, you're on your way to our Watercooler Founder's Campfire Audio hall of fame club.
Yeah somehow that happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back