The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 5, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #76,966 of 87,789
Omnium is not too mid forward? From (very vague) memory I think it graphs like Odin between 1k-3k?

I do like the gradual descent of 622b from bass into mids for piano, cello, male vocals, etc.

Chart haters coming in in 3..., 2..., 1...

drftr

Not for me no, sounds more like a mildest of V shapes but I think it'll depend on your library and how you perceive the bass shelf as well. The mid bass is quite tucked back so it doesn't have a lot of punch. This does make the mid range stand out a bit but they're really smooth and sort of just "there" that I don't find it overly forward, certainly not compared to how I heard Odin at least.

Jan 5, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #76,967 of 87,789
Had to go into office for some F2F meetings and took advantage to take some older IEM's for the ride.

Decide to bring the Earsonics Purple and the HUM TT.

And is quite a reunion as its been while since ai last listen to these.

Had forgotten how small and lite the Purple was, it was such a joy to listen and the Featherlight feeling made for zero worries. The bass is tight and fast with great resolution. The mids are very good, not the best Vs some other BA's but does not sound lacking. Highs are very good and reminded me why I never sold these.

HUM TT, in the office the simplicity of colour and finish remind that sometimes the simple approach is acceptable.

The TT is a bass IEM and hit hard without overpowering the music and Mid and High have the details and resolution that I was happy with.

Both used with an XLink Dongle connected to a Pixel 8 Pro

Oh well some of these have aged well

IMG_20240105_095926.jpg

IMG_20240105_111219.jpg

Jan 5, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #76,968 of 87,789
Its not quite fair to compare the DX300Max with only 10hrs of burnin to the N30.
My N30 took about 500 hrs to settle.

Before giving your testimony i would wait. Your opinion could change and therefore you have to delete or edit what you already wrote about DX300Max.

I had quite the same experience like you which you had with DX300Max on the first listen: N30 blowed me out of the socks on the first day and then got worser and worser. Now after more than 500h, N30 is stellar sounding and i couldn't be happier. Burnin is quite a rollercoaster.
Yes, of course I agree with you! I just couldn't wait, I was impatient, and I had to write these thoughts also to understand where I stand. But of course I will wait even longer. By the way, my N30 has about 25-30 hours. Can you tell me how it should change even more?

Jan 5, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #76,969 of 87,789
Yes, of course I agree with you! I just couldn't wait, I was impatient, and I had to write these thoughts also to understand where I stand. But of course I will wait even longer. By the way, my N30 has about 25-30 hours. Can you tell me how it should change even more?

Are you using Mango OS or Android for the Max? I've found Mango sounds better.

Jan 5, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #76,971 of 87,789
Expect more changes in the 30-60 hours range. It would get too bright and then settle down. Even past the 100 hours, at times the bright version shows up. As @mgsu mentioned, we are in for a long haul.

Jan 5, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #76,972 of 87,789
I know people say you can’t compare headphones and IEMs and that they are apples and oranges but of course I disagree. You can compare apples and oranges. And if you prefer one over another, of course that in itself yields a comparison.
With your blessing, @Sajid Amit , I'd very much like to quote this for my inevitable trifecta vs rn6 review.

In any case, I would have never traversed the world of IEMs had I not been compelled to by physical complications. However, now that I am fully into it, I am so grateful for the switch to IEMs. Can’t ever imagine becoming a headphone-first listener.

I feel this in my bones, especially given how the bulk of my listening has been during medical complications. That said, I was that one crazy dude patrolling the transplant ward at 3am, IV pole in one hand, AK240 and ALO amp stack in the other, doped out of my mind on prescription pain meds and bopping my head to my LCD-XCs and the Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #76,973 of 87,789
Posting this from Discovery thread, but would absolutely appreciate the Cooler opinions on a great cable.

Additionally, if someone has a suggestion on an IEM that matches sonically to the LCD-2C in that price range, I am all ears… so to speak 🙂
Are you looking for a Silver cable, copper cable or silver plated copper cable? And are you okay with a slightly higher energy across the frequency range?

Jan 5, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #76,974 of 87,789
Synergy is king with Utopia even when the specs suggests that it is easy to drive. I have the Utopia OG and tried to drive it from N30. Dont get me wrong, it does not sound bad per se, but it is nowhere near how it sounds from a destop DAC and good desktop amp. Dont take decision based on DAPs.

There are eve guys that ask about if N30 can drive DC Stealth 😂
Of course it can drive DC Stealth, maybe also Susvara, but no where near like a good Headamp.

Utopia like Susvara can scale very good when you climb the amp ladder. Even Feliks Envy which delivers 8W into 32 Ohm can improve the Utopia.

Utopia OG is probably the pickiest headphone out there. Never blind buy it without auditioning it. The DMP-Z1 probably has some R2R+tube-like traits to Utopia hence it pairs incredibly well

Jan 5, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #76,975 of 87,789
Expect more changes in the 30-60 hours range. It would get too bright and then settle down. Even past the 100 hours, at times the bright version shows up. As @mgsu mentioned, we are in for a long haul.
Did I understand correctly that you are talking about the N30? You mean it's going to be brighter? If the bass were a little less and the note a little thinner, the N30 would be just perfect. Is that what I'm expecting?

Jan 5, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #76,976 of 87,789
My goodness my friends. This took me a long time to get right, but I finally made an EQ profile that absolutely works with one of my longest running headphones to which I’ve contemplated many times selling, the Sony MDR Z7. 😬. Holy cow. This headphone to dial in correctly using my Parametric EQ program built into my Kann Max DAP was incredibly challenging to get right. After quite a bit of perseverance mixed in with a few curse words 🤬 I can now safely say I love this headphone, especially paired with the KANN Max running balanced. This really works, especially synergy wise to my ears because the KANN Max DAC is pretty laid back, smooth with good detail. Nothing crazy. Just neutral good with some added bass texture.

Also. If anyone here in the cooler has had or has the Z7 please share your thoughts with me because I’d love to know what experiences you’ve gone through with it. I know the Z7 is a fairly dated headphone, but as I was saying If you can dial in this headphone with proper EQ from a good DAP the Z7 becomes a remarkably fun headphone and I now actually like them more than my CFA Atlas IEMS. 😵‍💫

Anyhow. Here is the EQ profile I came up with and sorry for the crappy pictures. I use an iPhone 8. I’m a dinosaur.

So the mids and treble really needed the most work. Adjusted the Q Values as well to get some of the frequency bands a bit more linear with less notches. Really helped get rid of the “honk” and shouty sound. The bass was really easy to get right with the Z7. Definitely more powerful now with greater extension. Something the stock tuning really lacks.
All in all I got the Z7’s to sound fatigue free and kudos to AK. They have pretty good EQ programs. A lot of digital Equalizers sound like utter garbage to me, but this one found in the MAX isn’t bad. Certainly not the most sophisticated though like compared to Sony DAPs.

Cheers cooler drinkers. Thanks for listening. Again. If anyone has the Z7 let me know. 🤝☺️
Set up with the Kimber Cable, and TA amp fed by the dock with the AQCarbon USB the MDR-Z7 is great, I never EQ it.

6EFA0A5C-8E7E-49D9-8DE6-06A279686BF9.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #76,977 of 87,789
Did I understand correctly that you are talking about the N30? You mean it's going to be brighter? If the bass were a little less and the note a little thinner, the N30 would be just perfect. Is that what I'm expecting?
Yes. About the N30LE. Also use the solid state mode for little less warmth. Bass tightens up a lot between 50-60 hours. I'm using it with 64 Audio A18t, Nostalgia Audio Camelot & Fatfreq MSE

Jan 5, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #76,978 of 87,789
Eletech Purgatorio hooked up and sounding beautiful! M9+ driving it with no problem.
20240105_115446.jpg

Jan 5, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #76,979 of 87,789
Yes. About the N30LE. Also use the solid state mode for little less warmth. Bass tightens up a lot between 50-60 hours. I'm using it with 64 Audio A18t, Nostalgia Audio Camelot & Fatfreq MSE
That sounds really great, I very much hope that this will happen!

I set both DAPs so that they sound as close as possible. Here are the comparison conditions.
N30: High Gain, P-Mode, SS-Mode, filter: standard, Super Slow I also find very good. I would like to make a critical comment in advance. I'm simply not a fan of P+ and Hyper mode when it comes to analytical listening because the sound is not correct for me: P+ brings the mids too far forward and Hyper enlarges the sound. You can imagine what happens in this case: less microdynamics and less resolution, the sound is too forward and too energetic, volume levels between the frequencies are not balanced. Both options are unusable for me for this comparison.
DX320Max: DF 1 (Sharp Roll-Off), Ultimate-Mode, DAC volume level (for attenuator): 83

Jan 5, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #76,980 of 87,789
Right after I placed my order, Right Shop Audio sent me this, asking if I'd be interested. Before anyone asks, I have zero information on this other than what's on the page and what they emailed me:
https://www.rightshopaudiohk.com/pr...IHQNEPxgN5JVhbiT7SDvLPXs-lkHe7C7uqywSszIFDSbk

1704486346814.png

Apparently this is some new pw audio cable that's exclusive specifically to their shop, and they're only making 99. Pure copper, 24awg. Currency conversion comes to about a little over 130 USD. No idea if it's decent. Offhand it seems like maybe this is PW's variant of the DUNU Amber (bespoke copper cable, super affordable, limited run). I dig the color but no idea what I'd pair it with as sonically speaking it'd probably be a downgrade from anything else I currently own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back