The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 31, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #76,156 of 88,295
End of year random audiophile question :

Does anyone know of an audio store that carries a daily extended line of VanNuys backpacks and cases, that can ship to Europe? I have purchased from Zeppelin and MTMT audio before but there are plenty of other designs I would love to be able to try.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion you might have!
Try DMA Audio in Hong Kong. They had a ton of Van Nuys accessories when I visited; more than I recall Zepp or other international retailers carrying.

And… in other news, it’s finally past 12 o’ clock here in Jakarta, which means I can wish all my fellow Coolers a happy new year! May your 2024’s be blessed, joyful and, by the end, cherished, and I wish each and every one of you the best in all your upcoming endeavours.

Though it’s traditional to post pics or video of fireworks, I can’t be bothered to walk outside right now, so here’s a pic of my wife’s TV table ornaments instead. :D

IMG_0859.jpeg

Dec 31, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #76,157 of 88,295
Happy New Year 2024 Cooler Gang!! I wish you all good health and a prosperous year ahead! Awesome toys are coming our way in 2024!
Cheers to Cooler Camaraderie!! :beerchug::champagne_glass::tada::tada::tada:

God Bless y'all!

Dec 31, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #76,158 of 88,295
I ask my friend friends which has a forwarder friend on Japan to help me purchase my premium leather Van Nuys 6 IEM case. A little bit confusing though, but mainly because the Van Nuys itself being overwhelmed with too many orders 😂

I'll be going to tokyo next spring. Is there a store that you would recommend with the best selection of Van Nuys? Do they have an official store?

Dec 31, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #76,159 of 88,295
Try DMA Audio in Hong Kong. They had a ton of Van Nuys accessories when I visited; more than I recall Zepp or other international retailers carrying.

And… in other news, it’s finally past 12 o’ clock here in Jakarta, which means I can wish all my fellow Coolers a happy new year! May your 2024’s be blessed, joyful and, by the end, cherished, and I wish each and every one of you the best in all your upcoming endeavours.

Though it’s traditional to post pics or video of fireworks, I can’t be bothered to walk outside right now, so here’s a pic of my wife’s TV table ornaments instead. :D

IMG_0859.jpeg
Happy New Year to all but I was just pondering why on Earth Christians would pick the start of the new year 7 days after the birth of Christ. Isn't that a tad weird? Or is there an easy explanation that I missed? Similar question for heathens like me: Why pick a date that is so far from the "natural" start of the year in Spring? At least pick the start of Winter / the shortest day instead.

Clueless as always - a trend that I will try to keep during 2024. 🤓

drftr

Dec 31, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #76,160 of 88,295
Here’s a weekend survey question I don’t think we’ve done before: What did you sleep on/resist for far too long only for it to become an indispensable part of your life? As a twist give both audio and non audio examples if you want.
Had to think on this a bit before replying.

Audio related - I was going to say Annihilator but that’s too easy 😅. Really, on a personal level, it’s been learning to not resist contentment. Like most of us here I get excited about the latest and greatest gear but it can be exhausting always lusting after the new hotness. It seemed I was always on the hunt for something new. Feeling I was somehow “missing out” even when listening to and, more importantly, enjoying my own kit. This has been quite positive for my mental attitude towards the hobby. Sure, I’m still reading about, discussing and sharing in the excitement of new stuff. That won’t stop. But, at the same time, truly appreciating the gear I’ve carefully and thoughtfully selected that brings me joy listening to my music.

Non-audio stuff - becoming a dad. Yes, nothing novel and it’s a choice but it’s been infinitely rewarding and fulfilling in ways I didn’t know possible. It does hamper my slush fund for gear purchases and limits my listening time some 😉 but I wouldn’t trade it away for anything.

Happy New Year, coolers! Here’s to good health, prosperity and happiness in the year to come.

Dec 31, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #76,161 of 88,295
Audio: This was a hard one for me to come up with something. I was lucky as a kid that I grew up in the US, but spent my summers in HK and i've always had a passion for music and audio gear. I thought about this for the last 24hr-ish and could only come up with one thing. The shaky raven launch this year and being fortunate pushed me past the $ barrier I had for IEM (>$k) and cables (>$1k). In doing so, it opened up my eyes and gave me a big "ah hah!" moment with portable audio again. Prior to this, portable audio had felt like it was just part of my life and not necessarily something new. I never even explored UM, Rhapsodio, or VE because the TOTL's were so far out of reach to me.

Non-Audio: I spent my entire life growing up in Silicon Valley and felt stuck because of job opportunities. I disliked a lot of things about the area, especially what it would cost to get a home in a good area. When I got the opportunity to work remote, I moved up to the Sac area and have loved it! I get to provide my kids with a family friendly neighborhood, top schools, and a house we are very comfortable in. The one surprise was discovering how nice people can be in a smaller city with less stress to make ends meet. I can't believe I waited 40yrs to move to another area and cant' see myself moving back to the Bay Area.
Some of my friends in bay area moved to lake Tahoe (NV part) to avoid California state income tax.

Dec 31, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #76,162 of 88,295
My old classic go to, oh the memories

Sadly don’t have a pic of the 1Z naked with the Solaris:
Is it difficulty to strip it naked?

Dec 31, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #76,164 of 88,295
I‘ve joined (and suffered in) both hobbies and while true, there is one significant difference regarding prices. The IEM/DAP/Other gear is like tech that loses resale-value fast, and in 4-5 years or even earlier, is pretty much worthless because there are much better things available (with some rare exceptions like Orpheus and few others).

If you buy an iconic watch, it will also go south in resale value after you wear it for the first time. But after some years it will probably recover and in 4-5+ years, chances are good you sell the watch for more than you bought it. Even with all the scratches you‘ve collected over time.
So that's the argument you used to convince your wife your watch purchases? :)

Dec 31, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #76,165 of 88,295
That said I don’t think it is a good idea to collect wives the way some of us collect sound gear
Obviously. That's what girlfriends are for.

...I'm sorry.

(No, I'm not)

Dec 31, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #76,166 of 88,295
Dec 31, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #76,168 of 88,295
Happy New Year all! Thought a great opportunity to say hi 👋. Long time reader but have never posted in here. Relatively new to the hobby. Absolutely love this thread; great discussions, insights, humour, pics, it’s got it all! Seriously, huge credit to you all for this being such a lovely spot on head-fi. Plan to get to a canjam or 2 in 2024 so hope to meet some of you then.

Wishing you all a happy & healthy 2024.

Dec 31, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #76,170 of 88,295
Happy New Year to my dear friends, forgive me for calling us all Watercoolers haha. Hope you guys have an amazing one ahead with lots of exploration both in terms of music gear and music itself.

Love you all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back