The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 24, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #75,226 of 90,319
Merry Christmas to everyone, together with the people you love and your favorite music
hinimation-studio-ulbabrab.gif

Dec 24, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #75,228 of 90,319
Probably going to scratch the UM itch with either Mentor Multiverse or Amber Pearl. I’d love to know UM’s product release timeline and if there is a new summitfi release coming up, but why wait when I can go broke now?
There is always a new summit-fi release coming up from UM.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #75,232 of 90,319
And the new one is usually pricier than the last.
That be true. But it also be true that there will nevertheless a stampede to get it 😆

Dec 25, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #75,233 of 90,319
Dec 25, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #75,234 of 90,319
Question: What's the first IEM you expect to buy in 2024?
Does it count if you bought it in 2023 but will only get delivery in 2024? 🤔😉
Was about to ask same question too but I think IEM bought in 2023 doesn't count. In that case I'm interested with the Elysian DIO too because I like JoJo stuff :ksc75smile:
Random Question to the DAP experts in the Cooler:

What is the DAP that provides the least amount of coloration to the sound while having the best sound quality in your opinion?
Well I can vouch for Lotoo LPGT because I know 2 great reviewers that I trust which is @Deezel177 and @twister6 use LPGT as a benchmark DAP when they try new IEM's because it adds almost no coloration to the sound of the IEM 😉
Hey everyone, I’m hoping you can make a recommendation as I’d like to add a new IEM that can complement my existing lineup of Traillii, Jewel, and Legend X. My source is an AK 2000t, but that will likely be upgraded in 2024. I listen to a range of music from rock, live recordings, folk, pop, etc. I’m trying to keep it in the $3k range so possibly the perpetua, annihilator, or FW. I do like a more analog/warm sound and am somewhat sensitive to bright sound signatures. Would also like for it to sound somewhat different from current lineup. Appreciate your thoughts and happy holidays to everyone.
FW is almost 5k actually, but between those three I can say go grab those Perpetua because I think it has the most differents sound sig when compared to your current line up. Based on your line up I think you have no problem with BA or DD bass? You can enjoy both like me?
Thanks for your estimation. I think this will remain a mystery to me . I know many watercoolers think that way but I also raised this question several times. What exactly am I missing without a more powerful amp section? I asked this question more than one time before in this thread - could you please point me to a song or a section in a song where I can compare SP3k vs. powerful amp and what differences I can expect or what I should focus on?

I have the Xduoo on hand (@phiemon pointed me to it), a transportable beast, pumping 2 watts into 32ohms (spec-wise nearly 2,5x the power of the NE30). I think this will provide plenty power for my IEMs. All I need is the right track to compare because up to now, I don't hear any improvement with more power. I do think that different amp/dacs sound a little different but I'm not able to tell if one is generally better or worse but I kinda love the SP3K signature. The more controlled bass, better soundstage and other improvements - don't hear these.

Bottom line, I'd be grateful for suggestions how I can compare with critical listening (relaxed, no distractions, eyes closed, full presence to the music). Thanks!
Like I said before you don't need to understand other people's preference. We are different each other and that's normal. I'm not an expert about the difference in lesser and more powerful amp, but I think usually it will affect the dynamics of the music. For example, you can feel the energy when you hear rock music and maybe EDM. It's not about the loudness, but those indescribable sensation like when you are in a dance floor if you get what I mean. What kind of music you usually listen actually?
I can say all that thing because I have that kind of experience with my Aroma Jewel. Back then when I'm still using N8ii, I almost want to sell my Jewel because it sounds so lifeless and boring. Too smooth and flat for me and I can barely enjoy anything from it. Fast forward, N30 AP comes and make the Jewel shines brighter than before. The difference in power output give me an immediate result. Better soundstage, better dynamics, I can feel the soul and the texture of the music. Now Jewel will be a permanent member of my portable nirvana :L3000:
Probably going to scratch the UM itch with either Mentor Multiverse or Amber Pearl. I’d love to know UM’s product release timeline and if there is a new summitfi release coming up, but why wait when I can go broke now?
Are there any AP left in the wild? Last time I see on MT and it's already low on stock, so assume now it's sold out?

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2023 at 1:22 AM Post #75,237 of 90,319
My gear list for 2024 is limited to the Sovereign upgrade cable for my STORM...at least that is the goal I'm setting for myself. :grimacing:

PS: Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all on this chain!

Dec 25, 2023 at 1:31 AM Post #75,238 of 90,319

It's hard for me to think about spending money, after what I did in the last 3mo. But here are the things that have crossed my mind in the last 2w...

1) I did a 3d demo on the trailli and found myself enjoying it. But I am not sure long term how it would stand up against the UM AP and Supv3 I have and I certainly do not think it's worth the msrp price. I do miss it, and will keep an eye out for a used one.

2) I currently have the elysian annihilator & diva 2023 tour kit. I know the Annihilator is a favorite among many folks here, but I can't get over how boomy it is. It definitely has SLAM, if I understand the definition correctly here. At times, I think I can jive with it and then the bass kicks in, which is so distracting to me. With certain genres like EDM, or pop it is very fun and certainly tip rolling has helped. Didn't like the stock cable, but the EA Fusion 1 has been an excellent pairing and good discovery. I tried this on both the n30le ap and wm1zm2. I am very curious to hear how it sounds with the 320max ti that I will try later this week (hopefully). I don't hate the Annihilator 2023, but i'm not sure I can justify the price on it. The diva on the other hand was the nice surprise and why I am including this tour as #2. For the $ (used & sale that MT had a few days ago), it is bang for the buck. There is a strong possibility I may cave and get one.

3) All the talk is about STORM! What is this and when can I finally try it?

Oh btw, I love the pentacon connectors over 2pin! It makes it so easy to cable roll without fear of destroying the pin or the iem shell.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2023 at 1:57 AM Post #75,240 of 90,319
DIO interests me a lot, and maybe Duality and even less Storm. But I was afraid they would all be too expensive.

Guys, what's going on with Raven? It's not even mentioned here (anymore). New impressions?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back