The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 14, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #73,504 of 88,408
I agree with you point. Zepp has agreed to expedite shipping and start my warranty at the point of receipt. I was ok with both of those at this point because the warranty of the product ran out before I received it :laughing:

Of course the overseas issue isn't the main gripe, it's really the language barrier. Trying to explain my issues and get thoughtful responses has been difficult due to my lack of Korean. I don't think Zepp has a Korean speaker either.

Ah I see. When crinacle tells YouTube that Zepp are an English language interface for Hidition it never occurred to me to ask how Zepp/Hidition communicate :p

This is potentially quite important because nuances of language can be crucial for giving feedback on fit before the first build (if you have previous CIEM experience) or for a refit

Dec 14, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #73,505 of 88,408
I've found the cure to keeping control over desires for the latest and greatest; I simply pretend it's 2013 and I'm at the pinnacle.

IMG20231214093441.jpg

IMG20231214094832.jpg

In all seriousness, though, no doubt they have been far surpassed in the decade since their launch, but these venerable relics still manage to surprise me with the sound they can produce.

Enjoying what we currently have is something that can all too easily slip through the cracks and is the bedrock of staying engaged but happy in this hobby.

It can also quickly turn to open resentment if not kept in check. Ground yourself, appreciate what you already have, and remain outwardly positive. The only loser in a war is the one who starts it; harbouring negative emotions does nothing to change the outlook of others, it only serves as a detriment to your own mental wellbeing. The key to happiness is the absence of absence. Need nothing more than yourself, for as soon as you place happiness on something that is to be attained or achieved - whatever that may be, an object, a salary, an iem (had to be done) - you have, by this very act, prescribed yourself to be unhappy. It is hard in the modern society to stay above it all, I'll admit, especially as all marketing is, when you truly think about it, essentially designed to make you unhappy. As if there's things missing from your life that you need to feel better about yourself.

If you can find happiness in life itself then you will be infallible to your mental wellbeing being dictated by external sources and stimuli. Be the captain of your own soul and steer yourself through the stormy waters of bitterness before they can take ahold and sweep you unwilling down the tumultuous rivers of negativity.

Just a little mid-morning ramble I thought I'd share.

And a couple of snaps from my sunset mediation a couple of days ago.

IMG20231212145948.jpg

IMG20231212153110.jpg

I wish you all a pleasant day.
The 846 was my first expensive IEM.

Dec 14, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #73,506 of 88,408
Are we still talking about ear tips or a tips of something else? 😂🤣

Joking aside I took a chance buying these tips (Final E) as they get many good reviews and I already own some which give a fairly good sound and seal. Measured them and determined they were L so bought LL. When the package arrived they looked the same and I considered returning them but thought I'd try them not expecting to hear any difference. They are very slightly bigger giving the best seal yet, I can feel my skin pulling when I remove them. But for the difference in sound is the main reason I keep buying different tips as for about a year I have been disappointed with the iem's which cost a fair amount - thin sounding is a quick summary, often contemplating selling them. Now at long last I'm hearing them more as they were designed to sound.
The tips aren't perfect, the bore could be a little wider, but they were well worth buying and I've learnt a valuable lesson in taking more care with finding the right size tip and not dismissing the difference 0.8 of a mil can make.

Dec 14, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #73,507 of 88,408
Had a chance to audition today several IEMs: Noble Ronin, Noble Spartacus, Astell & Kern Aura, Fir E12.

All listening was done with DX320 MAX TI using stock tips and cables.

Ronin: a nice set which I consider an attempt to create a faster and more technically superior sounding Trailly. The shells are big, nozzles are long, it isolates very well, but was just somewhat comfortable - as with other Nobles a lot of tips rolling is needed for me. It indeed is quicker than the Bird, but in terms of quality I feel that it is half-step behind, I hear them as a little bit hazed. The timbre is a natural one. Bass is controlled and maybe lacking mid bass a bit, mids are detailed and somewhat in focus, highs elevated very slightly. Staging and imaging is behind other TOTLs as stage heavily lacks depth making Ronin sounding more 2D than 3D.

Spartacus: this one was a surprise for me. Despite not having a single DD in its config it delivers with lot of texture, quantity and authority in the bass department thanks to double BCD I believe. Mids are somewhat coloured with some instruments brought a bit back but vocals being prominent and forward. Treble accentuated just a bit and spicy only at times. Overall technicalities like details and staging are good, imaging being on the TOTL level. Cable of some cheaper looks but delivers sonically quite well. Shells are thin and lightweight, comfortable. Maybe I’ll buy this set some day. And it looks great!

Aura: I was blown away by this. Very easily driven, I think it is one of the best non-BCD sets on the market, if not just simply the best one. The bass is again one of the best I heard quality-wise, at least on the Ragnar level or better. It reaches very deep in the sub bass, provides tons of texture and punch while being very well controlled despite being lifted. No bleed to mids whatsoever.
Mids are one of the best on the market. They are somewhat romantic, lush, but nuanced and detailed. Highs are very coherent and, thanks God, are lean, neutral, with natural amount of sparkle and airiness. They also extend alot quite effortlessly.
It falls behid the Bird in the width just a bit, but it staging feels very holographic.
Cable feels cheap but again at least delivers sonically, and it’s also good in terms ergonomics and looks.
Aura Shells surprised me being that much lightweight and on the smaller side.
Wish it wasn’t a limited release!

E12: great bass in terms of quality and quantity, delivers both punch and texture, but mids are lean and highs are shouty at times for me unfortunately.

Dec 14, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #73,509 of 88,408
Why? You want to have 'em in stock?

Nice write-up and tnx for putting Aura on my list again.

drftr
Thanks! I wish they were a bit more affordable and available for a larger audience to enjoy, yes 🙂

Dec 14, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #73,510 of 88,408
Hi guys, lowered the price for my EXT & put up the Iliad for sale again. They are $1350 & $650 respectively, shipping & fees all included.
Please help with my VEX fundraising. :)

Also don't mind letting go of my N7 if anyone is looking for one. The DC elite is more than sufficient.

EDIT: Illiad sold.

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/price-drop-vision-ears-ext.57474/

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #73,511 of 88,408
Best for me not to think about that.

All I wanted is what I heard when I was a kid at the home of a high school friend I played chess with.
His father was a surgeon and headed a hospital, his system with John Coltrane and Miles Davis playing. When I started the journey I had no idea and had set a modest budget in comparison.
it's the perfect wilson setup...exactly what they have at the factory!

Dec 14, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #73,512 of 88,408
The 846 was my first expensive IEM.

This would be a fun poll. The first IEM I bought which I considered "expensive" was the Monster Turbine Copper. I still remember one of the video reviews where the guy was beating the crap out of them, amazed by how rugged they were, as-if they didn't break as frequently or more often than other IEMs.

Spartacus: this one was a surprise for me. Despite not having a single DD in its config it delivers with lot of texture, quantity and authority in the bass department thanks to double BCD I believe. Mids are somewhat coloured with some instruments brought a bit back but vocals being prominent and forward. Treble accentuated just a bit and spicy only at times. Overall technicalities like details and staging are good, imaging being on the TOTL level. Cable of some cheaper looks but delivers sonically quite well. Shells are thin and lightweight, comfortable. Maybe I’ll buy this set some day. And it looks great!

Nice impressions! Although I believe the BCDs are handling the mids(at least partially):
  • One Sonion ultra high balanced armature
  • Two Sonion bone conductors
  • One Sonion mid-bass balanced armature
  • Two Sonion bass and ultra bass balanced armatures
Although I'm really not sure, and would love some more details.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #73,513 of 88,408
it's the perfect wilson setup...exactly what they have at the factory!
I heard a story about that from the guys that came out to set up the speakers.

The Wamm was Dan Wilson’s opus, and Dan D’Agastino opus The Relentless Epic 1600 Mono block.

Shortly before Dan Wilson’s death when he was very ill, Dan D’Agastino drove two of his masterpieces to Wilson, they were set up and the two of them spent hours listening together to their life’s work.

Touching story, to have been a fly on that wall.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #73,514 of 88,408
And more importantly, you guys must not forget to vote for AÜR!!! :D
As someone who has spent quite a bit of his hard-earned money on three AüR sets thus far, I'm not gonna lie, I found this one funny.
Still, I have put all three in my Top 7. I understand how that might make me a suspect of unfair play.

I'll be the first to admit AüR's sales representative can be difficult to deal with at times, but their product's quality to price ratio is unquestionably high.

Edit: gotta love head-fi, it transformed colon and 'p' into a tongue-showing smiley face.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back