The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 9, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #70,096 of 88,650
First impressions on Truthear nova (Velvet tips):

This is extremely technical for $150. It's quite unbelievable that it's under $500 let alone $150

The midrange is forward and quite bright, reminds me of tangzu midrange tuning. Female vocals benefit from this more than male vocals. However, it does not sound grainy like tangzu sets. Female vocals on certain tracks are quite intoxicating as a result where vocal timbre takes a hit but it still sounds good. Classic “女毒” vocal tuning. I think some more lower mids to midbass with eq would improve male vocals as well as add body to the mids.

The layering and headstage presentation is ridiculously good. I think it rivals moondrop blessing 3 in that aspect. However blessing 3 still images better overall.

The bass performance is better than blessing 3. Less textured compared to variations but it is more dynamic sounding somehow despite having less midbass. I would personally appreciate more quantity - I'm a singularity owner after all.

Treble is more focused on air frequencies, but zero grain is present unlike variations and blessing 3. Percussions are clear but does not sound painful, zero peaks and is smooth af.

Timbre is slightly off due to the tuning, but it does not bother me. Piano notes are crisp and clear but decay is slightly off. Hi hats and percussion work exceptionally well for my ear canals if not a bit dry.

Overall, I think this is a better iem than the blessing 3 and variations by a longshot. The treble performance is exceptionally smooth and grain is nowhere to be found. Bass dynamism is the cherry on top. Anyone considering b3 or vari should just buy
this instead.

20231110_122547.png
SmartSelect_20231110_124812_Brave.jpg

Nov 9, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #70,097 of 88,650
First impressions on Truthear nova (Velvet tips):

This is extremely technical for $150. It's quite unbelievable that it's under $500 let alone $150

The midrange is forward and quite bright, reminds me of tangzu midrange tuning. Female vocals benefit from this more than male vocals. However, it does not sound grainy like tangzu sets. Female vocals on certain tracks are quite intoxicating as a result where vocal timbre takes a hit but it still sounds good. Classic “女毒” vocal tuning. I think some more lower mids to midbass with eq would improve male vocals as well as add body to the mids.

The layering and headstage presentation is ridiculously good. I think it rivals moondrop blessing 3 in that aspect. However blessing 3 still images better overall.

The bass performance is better than blessing 3. Less textured compared to variations but it is more dynamic sounding somehow despite having less midbass. I would personally appreciate more quantity - I'm a singularity owner after all.

Treble is more focused on air frequencies, but zero grain is present unlike variations and blessing 3. Percussions are clear but does not sound painful, zero peaks and is smooth af.

Timbre is slightly off due to the tuning, but it does not bother me. Piano notes are crisp and clear but decay is slightly off. Hi hats and percussion work exceptionally well for my ear canals if not a bit dry.

Overall, I think this is a better iem than the blessing 3 and variations by a longshot. The treble performance is exceptionally smooth and grain is nowhere to be found. Bass dynamism is the cherry on top. Anyone considering b3 or vari should just buy
this instead.

20231110_122547.png
SmartSelect_20231110_124812_Brave.jpg
That looks pretty good. I would try it.

Nov 9, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #70,098 of 88,650
That looks pretty good. I would try it.
Yea I quite enjoyed the Nova with the Sovereign Symphony cable. Made everything sound big, lush, and smooth. Great listening for when you wanna lay back and relax.
IMG_7557.jpeg

Nov 9, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #70,099 of 88,650
Yea I quite enjoyed the Nova with the Sovereign Symphony cable. Made everything sound big, lush, and smooth. Great listening for when you wanna lay back and relax. IMG_7557.jpeg
That's like @Damz87 pairing Orpheus with BLON BL03.

Nov 9, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #70,101 of 88,650
Just ordered the Cleopatra as they're having a Black Friday sale. :scream::L3000:
You might have your Cleo sooner than me.

My Cleo was done last week and I was waiting on the Quad Hybrid and GPS to be completed this weekish.

GPS production was delayed due to an issue Mundorf found. Unfortunately the first batch of wire they sent also seems to have the issue and Toni noticed while braiding my 8 wire. So back to waiting for Mundorf to fix it for the next batch of wire.

Nov 9, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #70,102 of 88,650
Well sad day. Bonneville is now on its way back to campfire. I really enjoyed the sound but just couldn't get on with the fit.

Singularity can't arrive soon enough. Even though my order was in before they opened preorders back up to the public I still have no idea exactly how long the wait will be. Hopefully the fit will be ok...
My order, placed right after the first batch sold out in minutes, shipped this week. So it shouldn't be much longer. But you can always ask Chang for an update.

Nov 10, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #70,103 of 88,650
Recommended album for those of you who enjoy ambient and somewhat experimental electronic music - this reminds me of Aphex Twin ‘Selected Ambient Works Vol 2’ or even Steve Reich at times. An incredibly under the radar album.

Tidal: HERE

Finally back, nice! I was already worried, thank you very much! :)

Nov 10, 2023 at 1:34 AM Post #70,104 of 88,650
When you're hospitalized with nothing to do

Screenshot_20231110-012849.png

Nov 10, 2023 at 1:57 AM Post #70,107 of 88,650
Last edited:
Nov 10, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #70,108 of 88,650
TIMSOK TS-316 single DD. I figured why not 🤭

Just my chemo cycle and thank you!
Take care brother. Let the music (and shopping spree) hasten the healing!

Nov 10, 2023 at 3:00 AM Post #70,110 of 88,650

Users who are viewing this thread

Back