The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 21, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #67,591 of 91,332
This reminds me of a trip I made to visit Craig Uthus a long time ago to personally pick up my Balancing Act headphone amp from him.

Oh man, I haven't talked to Craig in years! Wow... probably eight years ago, if not more. Beyond his EC work, he was also a brilliant conversationalist, and he's always been super sweet and kind to me.

And what greeted my ears was nothing short of miraculous.

The track had been utterly transformed. The combination of resolution from the planars and timbral and tonal realism from the PX-4 tubes, along with their expansive, immersive tapestry of sound, absolutely floored me. And, I kid you not, for the first time I realized that the bass playing below Barber and her band was actually a stand-up double-bass and not an electric bass. And more - it was being played with a bow. I know it's the old cliche, but the instrument was presented in such a way that I could literally picture its large wooden chest, the thick, ribbed strings vibrating over the fret board, the scratchy pull of the bow strings over them... That was detail and resolution. And, yes, absolutely, it made me feel like the instrument was right in front of me. It made it come alive.

So to me, that is what good detail and resolution can do: enhance realism. And maybe that's where some of the detail-kings break down. They present something that isn't true to life. That isn't real.

Yes, I agree exactly! Truly improved detail and resolution in playback doesn't exaggerate, it reveals. :relaxed:

Oct 21, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #67,592 of 91,332
Oh man, I haven't talked to Craig in years! Wow... probably eight years ago, if not more. Beyond his EC work, he was also a brilliant conversationalist, and he's always been super sweet and kind to me.

Yes, I agree exactly! Truly improved detail and resolution in playback doesn't exaggerate, it reveals. :relaxed:

His EC amps have legendary following similar to Mass Kobo in Japan. I was fortunate to hear his EC Mark IV 2A3 parallel SET with silver interstage and silver output stage transformers and the way it presents sound is so enthralling and highly resolving at the same time

Oct 21, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #67,593 of 91,332
His EC amps have legendary following similar to Mass Kobo in Japan. I was fortunate to hear his EC Mark IV 2A3 parallel SET with silver interstage and silver output stage transformers and the way it presents sound is so enthralling and highly resolving at the same time

Yup, I'm pretty sure I was on a waiting list for one of his amps a long time ago (but I had to back out due to unexpected financial troubles at the time). My loss.

I was just thinking about the old days after this past CanJam SoCal - where people were gushing about the Riviera AIC-10 and Zähl HM1 and what not. I remember thinking to myself I wonder how these guys would feel about some classic EC or DNA gear?

Oct 21, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #67,594 of 91,332
Working on typing up some impressions for everything I have been demoing this weekend, but as per usual this was a very expensive audition for me.

My first IEM purchase in 7 months. This set really won me over and I felt it was a good complementary IEM to the FATFreq’s while still checking all my boxes.

Must say I am pleasantly surprised 🤣 while I find Fei Wan very musically enjoyable with excellent clarity, I find the bass a bit boomy in the midbass and lacking a bit in the subbass department, and that difference should be quite noticeable compared to the Maestro bros? But then I guess that is exactly why it is complementary.

I do like the Fei Wan much more than the Jewel, which is just a bit too thin and plain to my ears (sue me). The asking price is also a little bit hard to swallow (but finally a usable stock cable, thank god) - but that's more about my library and use case than the IEM's fault.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #67,595 of 91,332
Working on typing up some impressions for everything I have been demoing this weekend, but as per usual this was a very expensive audition for me.

My first IEM purchase in 7 months. This set really won me over and I felt it was a good complementary IEM to the FATFreq’s while still checking all my boxes.

IMG_7047.jpeg
Welcome to the club, buddy. Still awaiting delivery of mine.

Oct 21, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #67,597 of 91,332
Yup, I'm pretty sure I was on a waiting list for one of his amps a long time ago (but I had to back out due to unexpected financial troubles at the time). My loss.

I was just thinking about the old days after this past CanJam SoCal - where people were gushing about the Riviera AIC-10 and Zähl HM1 and what not. I remember thinking to myself I wonder how these guys would feel about some classic EC or DNA gear?

I'm sure even today these guys would have that same enthusiasm for EC and DNA even today. These amps still compete at the top level despite their age. I myself would definitely get a Super Stratus (before it was called Stellaris) if I'm building my system around Utopia OG or HD800 if I had the funds back in those years. An EC Studio B for planars and ZMF headphones as well

Oct 21, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #67,598 of 91,332

Up until not that long ago, I was a long time owner of the EC Balancing Act 300B/PX4 and the DNA Stratus (2A3). In fact, they were sold off to begin my journey into IEMs.

Oct 21, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #67,599 of 91,332
I'm sure even today these guys would have that same enthusiasm for EC and DNA even today. These amps still compete at the top level despite their age. I myself would definitely get a Super Stratus (before it was called Stellaris) if I'm building my system around Utopia OG or HD800 if I had the funds back in those years. An EC Studio B for planars and ZMF headphones as well

I would like to think so, even if just romantically in my own mind. I remember reading people complain about the HD800 back in the day, and how I couldn't help thinking if they had only paired it with a Stratus. Super clean treble, no hint of stridency, and it totally HAD bass. :relaxed:

DNA Stratus (2A3)

That was the EXACT amp I was thinking of! 🤣 Probably my favorite from all of Donald's amps.

So are you out of the full-size headphone scene entirely now?

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #67,600 of 91,332
The best IEM ist the one that turns you down on the first listening, but the more you listen to it, the more it pulls you in to the music, drags you down into the abyss and surprises you with qualities that you where unaware of.

Its like that buddy in your office that you first hated on the first sight, but after a while it became your best friend.

Oct 21, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #67,601 of 91,332
Must say I am pleasantly surprised 🤣 while I find Fei Wan very musically enjoyable with excellent clarity, I find the bass a bit boomy in the midbass and lacking a bit in the subbass department, and that difference should be quite noticeable compared with the Maestro bros? But then I guess that is exactly why it is complementary.

Yeah, the Fei Wan is quite juicy in the mid bass, but I hear the sub bass to thankfully not "roll off" and it's still very much there. It just doesn't get that highlight like the FATFreq IEMs do, and its decay is tighter. This was definitely one of the brain adjustments for me when I swapped from the MSE, at first it just sounded so weird! Then I remembered I've been using MSE/GM for 7 months and I needed to let my brain adjust a tad, so I removed them and mentally regrouped for a minute lol. Now I am listening and can A/B/C etc with no issues. I love the bass texture, dynamics, and just overall presentation. I think it ties in with the overall tuning exceptionally well. The way the bass transitions into the lower mids reminds me a tad of a much cleaner RN6.

FWIW, my first minute impressions of Fei Wan were... not... that great. Once I regrouped and pushed play again everything started clicking. I'm not gonna sit here and post things and say best iem ever blah blah blah, but I do love the way the Fei Wan pieces everything together into something that is musical, very technical, and just fun to listen to. I've had it on play for a few hours and I feel very immersed with it without feeling distracted. :beerchug:

Oct 21, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #67,602 of 91,332
I would like to think so, even if just romantically in my own mind. I remember reading people complain about the HD800 back in the day, and how I couldn't help thinking if they had only paired it with a Stratus. Super clean treble, no hint of stridency, and it totally HAD bass. :relaxed:

That was the EXACT amp I was thinking of! 🤣 Probably my favorite from all of Donald's amps.

So are you out of the full-size headphone scene entirely now?
I am. Entirely. I move around too much lol. Very much enjoying the portability right now. Fits my current lifestyle.

Oct 21, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #67,604 of 91,332
Yeah, the Fei Wan is quite juicy in the mid bass, but I hear the sub bass to thankfully not "roll off" and it's still very much there. It just doesn't get that highlight like the FATFreq IEMs do, and its decay is tighter. This was definitely one of the brain adjustments for me when I swapped from the MSE, at first it just sounded so weird! Then I remembered I've been using MSE/GM for 7 months and I needed to let my brain adjust a tad, so I removed them and mentally regrouped for a minute lol. Now I am listening and can A/B/C etc with no issues. I love the bass texture, dynamics, and just overall presentation. I think it ties in with the overall tuning exceptionally well. The way the bass transitions into the lower mids reminds me a tad of a much cleaner RN6.

FWIW, my first minute impressions of Fei Wan were... not... that great. Once I regrouped and pushed play again everything started clicking. I'm not gonna sit here and post things and say best iem ever blah blah blah, but I do love the way the Fei Wan pieces everything together into something that is musical, very technical, and just fun to listen to. I've had it on play for a few hours and I feel very immersed with it without feeling distracted. :beerchug:
Now, there wasn't a lot there that I hadn't tried, but there was one in-ear that was exclusive to this store, and it was Aroma Audio's Fei Wan.

IMG_9937.jpeg
After being handed the in-ears by the kind store clerk, laughing once again at its Saint-Seiya-looking design, putting them in my ears and hitting play, a thought quickly came to mind.

"Uhh... I think these might be the best IEMs I've ever heard."
I want to hear this iem so bad!! Probably number 1 on my list right now!

Oct 21, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #67,605 of 91,332
I want to hear this iem so bad!! Probably number 1 on my list right now!

I just took this for a friend, Aroma has posted the FR but sometimes it’s easier to visualize from this app because these types of FR pics have been floating around for a while. Should give you a pretty clear idea of what it sounds like, that’s what I hear as well. Thats taken with SpinFit CP155 tips but potato potahto. You get the idea :)

IMG_7051.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back