The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 21, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #64,861 of 90,730
To me it has better bass than any $3K IEM I've heard, but then I don't think any $3K IEM I've heard is actually worth that much (and I've heard many). Though I think it's best to leave that can of worms firmly closed 😅
Guy,
Is Trifecta also source dependent, as in liking its more powerful DAPS. How does it sound with the new Cayin DAP?
Only looking to buy one IEM and one DAP by years end. I am a bit of a basehead. Bass and midrange are almost all I can hear.

Sep 21, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #64,862 of 90,730
With all this talk of Trifecta, I unboxed the set I had put aside for another listen. Cardinal sin, I know!, particularly when you're adhering to "one or maybe two sets" self limitation. :rolling_eyes:

Glorious "late 1980's Technics 3way" sound, not 2023 HiFi'ish, but so reminiscent of what I was listening on way back then.
Yes for sure, Trifecta has its limitations when compared to current multi driver type TOTL IEMs, but that's missing the point IMO.

The types of music I listen to hasn't changed much over my lifetime, but the media, electronics and transducers I listen on have.
The " I never heard or noticed that in the music before" comment after upgrading something, has been mostly true for me throughout.
2023 HiFi teleports me to the best seat in the house with all the ambiance or scale of the venue, everything has effortless pin point clarity and resolution, perfect!.

Trifecta's charm lies in the fact that they can effectively take your meticulously chosen audio stream and you get that large 3way box speaker sitting on the floor sound.
A sound I remember when I listen to some early music favourites, that had somehow lost their magic in this digital age.
Trifecta is unique in what it offers, its sound doesn't suit everything, but in terms of making digital sound analogue and analogue in a way I emotionally remember, I've not heard better.

Sep 21, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #64,863 of 90,730
That's the one aspect that, to me, is indisputable. If it doesn't kick like a mule, either something is seriously lacking in the chain, or you're not getting a good seal.
With Trifecta I've had to do more tweaking than with any other IEM - including Divinus filters, over a dozen tips, multiple cables (Dr Juggles custom en route), EQ at times - but I have hung in there and man has it been worth it. Mule kicking, timbre roiling, a visceral experience. Goes with most music I listen to (rock and some jazz). The Trifecta thread, @Rockwell75 and others' passion here helped me believe in the potential and how to get there.

Sep 21, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #64,864 of 90,730
My personal choice:

SpinFit W1
Symbio W (memory foam + outer silicone)
Final Type E (comfortable but I don't use them anymore because my psychoacoustic tells me a large bore lets the sound through more effectively and the Type Es have comparatively small bores)

SpinFit W1
Symbio F
Dunu S&S

Sep 21, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #64,865 of 90,730
Xe6 provides exactly what MM is missing!
Right, Xe6 and MM are really very complementary. What impresses me about both of them, among other things, is their respective own interpretation of the soundstage / imaging / layering. Again, they are completely opposite, yet each in their own way just superb. I could test the Xe6 3x in the past, also borrow for several days. And it was for me at the beginning a big "no-go". But each time it somehow impressed me more and more, there was something addictive that I could not do without. On advice from @ulverr I finally bought it and I couldn't be more pleased. I’m really enjoying it!

I can tell if I really like an IEM by the fact that when I listen to it, I have the feeling that this IEM sounds "perfect" per sé, with nothing really significant missing. At least, when I listen to it, I don't wish that an element absolutely had to be there. With the Xe6 and MM I have this feeling, although both are again fundamentally different.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #64,866 of 90,730
Screenshot_20230921-235046_Chrome_1_1.jpg

While we are talking about eartips, any review about this one? Is it only available as a bundle with some IEM's (VE Aura and AZLA's own IEM)? Trying to look for it on AZLA website but it's not sold separately ☹️

Sep 21, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #64,867 of 90,730

While we are talking about eartips, any review about this one? Is it only available as a bundle with some IEM's (VE Aura and AZLA's own IEM)? Trying to look for it on AZLA website but it's not sold separately ☹️
They look very similar to the Azla Vivids, a great tip and much more comfortable than the regular sednas while not being as sticky as the Xelastics and crystals

Sep 21, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #64,868 of 90,730
Guy,
Is Trifecta also source dependent, as in liking its more powerful DAPS. How does it sound with the new Cayin DAP?
Only looking to buy one IEM and one DAP by years end. I am a bit of a basehead. Bass and midrange are almost all I can hear.
If you don't hear much treble Trifecta might be a godsend 😁 Seriously though, Trifecta is probably the easiest to drive IEM I have (easier than FIR), but will of course reward clean power. I have no idea what it sounds like off the new Cayin DAP but it sounds sublime off RS8, DX300 MAX and WM1Z. I wouldn't personally pair it with a bright source though.

Big analogue bass and mids with almost perfect timbre on a massive stage is what this IEMs is best at.

Sep 21, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #64,869 of 90,730
Screenshot_20230921-235046_Chrome_1_1.jpg
It's wide bore. There is a little bit (few mm) of added nozzle lenght.
Thus they do not affect the sound much and seem pretty neutral to me.
They are made from thick material, contrary to - for example - Spin Fits, rather similarly to some other Azla tips I have (don't know their name).
So even though I rather have mediumish ear, I tend to use small or medium small. Go with smaller sizes with this one.
Overall very good tips, recommended. Are comfy, sound good, do not affect the original sound much.
However, going CIEM is always even more recommended, but that's obvious :)

Sep 21, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #64,870 of 90,730
If you don't hear much treble Trifecta might be a godsend 😁 Seriously though, Trifecta is probably the easiest to drive IEM I have (easier than FIR), but will of course reward clean power. I have no idea what it sounds like off the new Cayin DAP but it sounds sublime off RS8, DX300 MAX and WM1Z. I wouldn't personally pair it with a bright source though.

Big analogue bass and mids with almost perfect timbre on a massive stage is what this IEMs is best at.
Thanks for the guidance, Guy

Sep 21, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #64,871 of 90,730
Sep 21, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #64,872 of 90,730
I definitely agree with you on this. Back when I was crazy about keyboards, I always tried to look for the true "endgame" keyboard, but every time it's just an "endgame" for a certain period of time before a new keyboard redefines what "endgame" is. But I would definitely say that regardless, I would put Annihilator as one of my must-haves in my collection. It's just too good.
While I've not heard quite as much gear as a few others around here, I've heard enough by now to know in the first 2 days of owning this gem that it really could be a one-and-done IEM.

Anni_01.jpg

You may prefer the thrill of the chase, and enjoy experimenting with lots of other gear, but if you already like what you heard from Anni23, just go for it and save yourself a lot of time and money.

What are your thoughts on certain people having doubts about the resolution at the price point for the trifecta as I’m in the market for it
I'm definitely one of those certain people, I believe that above a price point of around 2k or so that technical performance, especially detail & resolution, has to meet a certain baseline, something in the ballpark of A/U12t for example. Unfortunately, from the demos I've had of it, Trifecta falls far short of that, as the bass head in my really likes it's tuning.

Very interesting so just curious, you being a owner of both the xe6 and trifecta what is the major Takeaway difference between the two to justify having both as I also own the xe6 but hesitate on the trifecta as I thought they would be too similar
I don't own Trifecta for direct comparison with Xe6, but if it's bass you're after, especially mid-bass, then you already own the best. And for technical performance, Xe6 is miles ahead imho.

Ready for a weekend trip :) Aura will replace something, probably Odin, and the new TWS bass monster Devialet Gemini II will join us in a separate pocket.
IMG_4318.jpeg
Damn, just when I think I'm happy with my 3 TOTLs, someone has to go and post something like this. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sep 21, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #64,873 of 90,730
Would actually love to go to an Audiophile event like CanJam myself one day. Really enjoyed the whole experience of like-minded people coming together and sharing about our gears and stuff (back in my keyboard enthusiast days).
Canjam Singapore is on 6 - 7 April 2024, so that’s a date for your diary.

Sep 21, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #64,874 of 90,730
SING01.png
SING02.png
475.png

Sep 22, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #64,875 of 90,730
These new Acoustune tips are sensational! The material they’ve used on these new ones mold to your ear a little like the the Xelastics but are thinner and less sticky… it doesn’t feel like I’m wearing any earphones at all! New favourite tips unlocked

Attachments

• IMG_1380.jpeg
    IMG_1380.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back