The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 14, 2023 at 2:38 AM Post #64,382 of 91,358
So I did it. Gave Sony some of my hard-earned cash.

IMG_3776.jpeg

The DMP-Z1 is now home.

An unboxing video thanks to my lovely and supportive wife.

And a mandatory albeit brief photo shoot.

IMG_3827.jpeg

IMG_3818.jpeg

IMG_3837.jpeg

Hilariously, I find myself singing along, eyes closed, even to well-worn tracks I skip on other devices.

Makes me want to hear all my music and even all the IEMs I have parted with, all over again, lol.

My wife likened my eyes-closed-singing-along-to-music to the time I brought the Hifiman Susvara home, eons ago.

As for a final set of impressions (final for now, the unit isn’t burnt-in yet!), sharing what I wrote to a friend on WhatsApp:

The DMPZ1 appears to do everything better than everything else, including sounding natural. In that it colors outside the lines yet attains higher fidelity.

So grateful for these moments and the hobby at large. And a big thanks to coolers for the discussion that led me to this point.

Attachments

• IMG_3820.jpeg
    IMG_3820.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3837.jpeg
    IMG_3837.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 14, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #64,383 of 91,358

IMG_3776.jpeg

The DMP-Z1 is now home.

An boxing video thanks to my lovely and supportive wife.

IMG_3827.jpeg

IMG_3818.jpeg

IMG_3837.jpeg

Hilariously, I find myself singing along, eyes closed, even to well-worn tracks I skip on other devices.

Makes me want to hear all my music and even all the IEMs I have parted with, all over again, lol.

My wife likened my eyes-closed-singing-along-to-music to the time I brought the Hifiman Susvara home, eons ago.

As for a final set of impressions (final for now, the unit isn’t burnt-in yet!), sharing what I wrote to a friend on WhatsApp:

The DMPZ1 appears to do everything better than everything else, including sounding natural. In that it colors outside the lines yet attains higher fidelity.

So grateful for these moments and the hobby at large. And a big thanks to coolers for the discussion that led me to this point.

Thanks for the photos and video. Can you compare dmp z1 vs wm1zm2+ tsuranagi?

Sep 14, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #64,384 of 91,358

IMG_3776.jpeg

The DMP-Z1 is now home.

IMG_3827.jpeg

IMG_3818.jpeg

IMG_3837.jpeg

Congrats, you are officially a Sony VIP 👊🏼

Sep 14, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #64,385 of 91,358
Looks awesome! How hot does it get?
Not very hot, I mean it's not as hot as N7 gets with IEM :grin: and that's N30 even running Stealth in Hyper Mode at volume 50. I think heat dissipation is better. People reported 100 degrees Fahrenheit heat so YMMV I didn't get this hot for sure but I didn't take an infrared measure either.
I left it in the case though, I'd need to try it without it to really grasp how hot it gets.

Anyway in real life a non issue for me but I don't plan to have it closed in a pocket or bag while running, in a hot environnement... that would probably get quite hot...

Sep 14, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #64,386 of 91,358

IMG_3776.jpeg

The DMP-Z1 is now home.

IMG_3827.jpeg

IMG_3818.jpeg

IMG_3837.jpeg

Where did you source this from?

Sep 14, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #64,387 of 91,358

IMG_3776.jpeg

The DMP-Z1 is now home.

IMG_3827.jpeg

IMG_3818.jpeg

IMG_3837.jpeg

Wow it looks gorgeous. Congrats 🎊. Can you compare it with WM1ZM2 and share your impressions. Also pic of DMPZ1 side by side with WM1ZM2 to get idea of their sizes.

Sep 14, 2023 at 4:03 AM Post #64,388 of 91,358
Brise Murakumo2 impressions time!

This is the craziest thing I bought since AK380SS package. Or maybe Final Lab2. Or since whatever, actually.

Yesterday I went from a Brise sceptic (what is this company? overpriced copper cables? you pay for shielding - again?) to a huge fan.

I have already aquired (and will keep) Tsuranagi and Yatono 8w in the past weeks. I intend to mod the amp with NPaudio and maybe switch more of my CIEMs to Yatono in the future. Compared to other offerings, Yatono is actually quite... affordable (!).

But... Murakumo2 will probably go today. I'm waiting for a transfer. Even if it didn't, I wouldn't cry. I have never heard something like this.

But... It's not like a jaw dropping difference. It's not a "wow" experience. It's just pure neutrality, transparency and a maximum scale-up to what our IEMs can do.

It's as if you had your player directly connected to the IEM without any cable, at maximum performance. The one way I can characterize this sound is "huge". It completely fills the space. I no longer differentiate between drivers in the IEM (like "oh, here is my DD bass, here are my BA mids, here's my EST highs"). Everything connects together in coherency.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's dig in. First of all. They look similar on photos, but it's a different cable to Yatono. It’s visible on the photo, the AWG is different and the splitter is larger to fit these wires in. It's more distinguishable in real life, you can clearly see the wired being wider.

IMG_4256.jpeg

The reason it's not for me is that it’s a stiff cable for desktop use. It’s rather hard to walk with it. I walk with it around the home, but you definitely won’t take a stroll in the park with this. And I like to listen to music on the move, even around the house.

Yatono is a bit thinner and more elastic. It has similarly stiff plug - but the upper part above the plug is a normal elastic cable. PWA Shielding cables are obviously also more elastic and easy to use for me. As you can see, I know how to sacrifice for the music :wink: But this exceeds my patience:

IMG_4259.jpeg

I'm afraid that Murakuma could leverage the 4.4 plug in my DAP and break it. Yatono is also stiff in the plug part, which is just bad design to me. It's unnecessary. They just put too much sleeving around this part. But with Yatono you can somehow accomodate.

That's how I tried to make my drip v60 coffee today morning :) I had to somehow keep it under my arm. I hope you appreciate the courage to post something like this :) I'm listening to Radon6 CIEM here.

IMG_4262.jpeg

FiR Radon6 is a thunderous bass monster. On Murakumo somehow the bass becomes... more neutral? Less overwhelming for sure. Now I could listen to it for hours!

Oh, and where did that treble peak dissapear? Also coherency improved. Now I listen to a one driver CIEM, not a quadruple-hybrid. The sound has become a unity. I no longer hear drivers playing, I hear space and sound coming from the air. It's a huge scale-up.

I have been listening to it on Tsuranagi and it’s an endgame setup… Unfortunately it's just not my use case to sit around for hours.

That's how it looks if you try to put it on the table...

IMG_4267.jpeg

In the end I sat down to present you a match with the legendary LeJardin! Now some of you may have read my above impressions of LeJardin sounding exactly right and magical only on the stock PWA MAS cable. Right? No longer that's true.

This is the first cable that scaled LeJardin up for me! It retained the magic I have heard on MAS and has shed more light to brighten up this dark CIEM.

Murakumo always neutralizes any CIEM I connect it to. It polishes down the treble peaks if needed. It makes the bass faster as with Radon6 and less overwhelming. It connects all the drivers together, as if it also upgraded the internal wiring.

Now I'd be happy to live with it forever. Before, LeJardin could not be my only CIEM. Although I would buy it again.

On Murakumo, it could be my only CIEM (!).

IMG_4271.jpeg

In terms of sound quality I would say Yatono competes with MAS, FTS, Centurion etc.

Murakumo is a league above for me in terms of sonic performance.

It's very synergistical. Anything I connected to it was scaled up and sounded great, including EE Odin, SE6 EDGE, Craft Ears Aurum+ and a few others.

It’s a cable for lying on the sofa or desktop. No problem going to kitchen for a drink. But no dancing :)

What would I do if I had too much money and time? I would try to peel off this whole "Faraday's cage" off from the bottom part of the cable.

Underneath is probably a cable similar to Yatono, just tad larger. I would loose all the resale value and some sound quality. But I could probably dance with it then? It may be worth it.

When I moved from Odin to Aurum+ yesterday, I have first noticed how powerful macro and micro dynamics are on this. Maybe you know the feeling that you don’t listen to classical on IEMs because headphones have better dynamics?

I would listen to classical on CIEMs again thanks to that setup.

And I know that not many of you have heard Sony MDR-R10.

But I can tell you: when you hear it, listening to classical first comes into mind. Even if you don't listen to classical.

It's hyper realistic, there's resolution better than in a real life concert hall. I know, since I have spent many days recording Christopher Tin's albums in Abbey Road Studios and in NYC as his long-time patron.

There's macro and micro dynamics that make you cry. You feel that listening to loudness wars compressed modern music is a waste of R10's potential (really!).

And it's the first thing that comes to my mind when I listen to Murakumo right now, on Tsuranagi, with LeJardin. A slow and quiet track is in the background, and it's delivered with so much residual, calm power, that it would make some of us cry.

I don't cry, because I'm focused now on pass this knowledge to you guys. I hope more of you will have the opportunity to try this cable out in the future.

Sep 14, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #64,389 of 91,358

IMG_3776.jpeg

The DMP-Z1 is now home.

IMG_3827.jpeg

IMG_3818.jpeg

IMG_3837.jpeg

Congrats with your purchase and thank you for the beautiful photo. I love how simple but elegant the design on DMP-Z1 and the combination of the piano black and gold is done tastefully 😘👌
Maybe N30LE AP next? 😁

Sep 14, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #64,390 of 91,358

The DMP-Z1 is now home.

Awesome, enjoy! Your home is a hotel? I am very familiar with that locale.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2023 at 4:29 AM Post #64,391 of 91,358

This is the craziest thing I bought since AK380SS package. Or maybe Final Lab2. Or since whatever, actually.

Yesterday I went from a Brise sceptic (what is this company? overpriced copper cables? you pay for shielding - again?) to a huge fan.

I have already aquired (and will keep) Tsuranagi and Yatono 8w in the past weeks. I intend to mod the amp with NPaudio and maybe switch more of my CIEMs to Yatono in the future. Compared to other offerings, Yatono is actually quite... affordable (!).

But... Murakumo2 will probably go today. I'm waiting for a transfer. Even if it didn't, I wouldn't cry. I have never heard something like this.

But... It's not like a jaw dropping difference. It's not a "wow" experience. It's just pure neutrality, transparency and a maximum scale-up to what our IEMs can do.

It's as if you had your player directly connected to the IEM without any cable, at maximum performance. The one way I can characterize this sound is "huge". It completely fills the space. I no longer differentiate between drivers in the IEM (like "oh, here is my DD bass, here are my BA mids, here's my EST highs"). Everything connects together in coherency.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's dig in. First of all. They look similar on photos, but it's a different cable to Yatono. It’s visible on the photo, the AWG is different and the splitter is larger to fit these wires in. It's more distinguishable in real life, you can clearly see the wired being wider.

IMG_4256.jpeg

The reason it's not for me is that it’s a stiff cable for desktop use. It’s rather hard to walk with it. I walk with it around the home, but you definitely won’t take a stroll in the park with this. And I like to listen to music on the move, even around the house.

Yatono is a bit thinner and more elastic. It has similarly stiff plug - but the upper part above the plug is a normal elastic cable. PWA Shielding cables are obviously also more elastic and easy to use for me. As you can see, I know how to sacrifice for the music :wink: But this exceeds my patience:

IMG_4259.jpeg

I'm afraid that Murakuma could leverage the 4.4 plug in my DAP and break it. Yatono is also stiff in the plug part, which is just bad design to me. It's unnecessary. They just put too much sleeving around this part. But with Yatono you can somehow accomodate.

That's how I tried to make my drip v60 coffee today morning :) I had to somehow keep it under my arm. I hope you appreciate the courage to post something like this :) I'm listening to Radon6 CIEM here.

IMG_4262.jpeg

FiR Radon6 is a thunderous bass monster. On Murakumo somehow the bass becomes... more neutral? Less overwhelming for sure. Now I could listen to it for hours!

Oh, and where did that treble peak dissapear? Also coherency improved. Now I listen to a one driver CIEM, not a quadruple-hybrid. The sound has become a unity. I no longer hear drivers playing, I hear space and sound coming from the air. It's a huge scale-up.

I have been listening to it on Tsuranagi and it’s an endgame setup… Unfortunately it's just not my use case to sit around for hours.

IMG_4267.jpeg

In the end I sat down to present you a match with the legendary LeJardin! Now some of you may have read my above impressions of LeJardin sounding exactly right and magical only on the stock PWA MAS cable. Right? No longer that's true.

This is the first cable that scaled LeJardin up for me! It retained the magic I have heard on MAS and has shed more light to brighten up this dark CIEM.

Murakumo always neutralizes any CIEM I connect it to. It polishes down the treble peaks if needed. It makes the bass faster as with Radon6 and less overwhelming. It connects all the drivers together, as if it also upgraded the internal wiring.

Now I'd be happy to live with it forever. Before, LeJardin could not be my only CIEM. Although I would buy it again.

IMG_4271.jpeg

In terms of sound quality I would say Yatono competes with MAS, FTS, Centurion etc.

It's very synergistical. Anything I connected to it was scaled up and sounded great, including EE Odin, SE6 EDGE, Craft Ears Aurum+ and a few others.

It’s a cable for lying on the sofa or desktop. No problem going to kitchen for a drink. But no dancing :)

What would I do if I had too much money and time? I would try to peel off this whole "Faraday's cage" off from the bottom part of the cable.

Underneath is probably a cable similar to Yatono, just tad larger. I would loose all the resale value and some sound quality. But I could probably dance with it then? It may be worth it.

When I moved from Odin to Aurum+ yesterday, I have first noticed how powerful macro and micro dynamics are on this. Maybe you know the feeling that you don’t listen to classical on IEMs because headphones have better dynamics?

But I can tell you: when you hear it, listening to classical first comes into mind. Even if you don't listen to classical.

It's hyper realistic, there's resolution better than in a real life concert hall. I know, since I have spent many days recording Christopher Tin's albums in Abbey Road Studios and in NYC as his long-time patron.

There's macro and micro dynamics that make you cry. You feel that listening to loudness wars compressed modern music is a waste of R10's potential (really!).

And it's the first thing that comes to my mind when I listen to Murakumo right now, on Tsuranagi, with LeJardin. A slow and quiet track is in the background, and it's delivered with so much residual, calm power, that it would make some of us cry.

I don't cry, because I'm focused now on pass this knowledge to you guys. I hope more of you will have the opportunity to try this cable out in the future.
such an amazing impression! really happy to know how the murakumo sound and works with different iems especially when it paired with jardin :)

Sep 14, 2023 at 4:32 AM Post #64,392 of 91,358

IMG_3776.jpeg

The DMP-Z1 is now home.

IMG_3827.jpeg

IMG_3818.jpeg

IMG_3837.jpeg

Congratulations! Now you need to get some Van Nuys cases for this!

Sep 14, 2023 at 4:34 AM Post #64,393 of 91,358

IMG_4256.jpeg

IMG_4259.jpeg

IMG_4262.jpeg

IMG_4267.jpeg

IMG_4271.jpeg

Thanks for sharing and yes that cable is hilariously thick 😂
I keep asking myself which cable is PW MAS but now I realise its the Meet Again Shielding from the LeJardin 😅

Sep 14, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #64,394 of 91,358

IMG_4256.jpeg

IMG_4259.jpeg

IMG_4262.jpeg

IMG_4267.jpeg

IMG_4271.jpeg

Thanks for impressions and courage to share it’s look in different usage scenarios!
Honestly it could have been an exotic Hitman option, but it’s really way too stiff 😂

Sep 14, 2023 at 5:36 AM Post #64,395 of 91,358

Fabulous impressions, thanks for taking the time (and pics). I love thick cables (Orphy/FTS), but that's above and beyond. Not even practical for desktop I'd say.

I only have one question: Rn6 a 'thunderous bass monster'? Really? Do you use the red module? Rn6 red is like my 'bass neutral'. Exceptional bass, and just about enough to satisfy. 😅😎

Users who are viewing this thread

Back