The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 4, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #61,111 of 91,355
Have a R6 Pro and looking for a new Dap and am intrigued but did hear a RS8 that I found much better than my R6 Pro by a lot . So are you saying the R6 Pro II is even better ?

I havent heard R6 pro so I can't say what the differences are. RS8 is a discreet R-2R implementation while R6 Pro II is using similar new gen AKM chips the same ones found in M9+ and SP3K.

Screenshot_20230704-193027_Chrome.jpg

The tech in this player is impressive for the price. Where I think it lacks is the side buttons and no volume wheels. Sonically, the staging can sound crowded with some iems.

RS8 vs R6pro2: From memory, RS8 is a step up with technicalities such as staging depth. They have more in common with the musical tuning vs something like SP3K. R6P2 is a delta sigma sound while RS8 has smoother transients. With RS8s superior amplification, I still think it's the best stand alone pairing I had with Serratus. I loved the euphonic mids on RS8 and its ridiculous battery life.

Tsuranagi + R6pro 2: As a stand alone, I would say its upper mid fi level / lower high end. Pairing it with the Tsuranagi, those technical gaps are closed and it's competitive vs TOTL daps. It works for my use case, because I can also convert it as an EDC when the occasion calls for it :)

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #61,112 of 91,355
A18s is sold! And with that closing the 64 chapter of my audio adventure.

While some last minute cable swapping did buy it some time, I ultimately decided to let it go (at an expensive hit as well).

1. Treble shift

I could live with the uni to custom shift in signature. Until I tried FiR and heard their customs, with little to no shift in signature. Turns out I like the treble on their unis more after all, of course my ears say no to metal shells.

2. Cable swaps

Even with the A18s even being more responsive to cable swaps (quite a bit to me). I could still detect the issues I previously listed on some tracks, and that ultimately did it in.

I'm still considering a second Odin. But uh I bought a Sp3K that I'm trying to move.

Jul 5, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #61,113 of 91,355
Hiby has a new dynamics plug in (that should just show up in the list of plug ins) which has a gain +- slider. That might help. I hope it does and you get the most out of that awesome setup !

Hi, i tried it with gain set to min (-10 dB), the effect is very light with the Tsuranagi, the volume knob is a tiny bit less sensitive but still too much.
Maybe it could be the way to workaround this problem if the min attenuation limit could be lowered even more than -10 dB.

Jul 5, 2023 at 5:28 AM Post #61,114 of 91,355
I re-purchased Hiby R6 Pro 2 in a different colour. This is one of the best daps I've heard at any price range. It's also nice to look at with its thin bezels.

07062F04-1AE8-4F4B-90B8-59DEB990A1C6.jpeg

While I liked how quirky the purple was, it was a bit loud to look at constantly. The black version comes with a beige / charcoal coloured case. This looks complimentary with my amp (and future Vishnu case):

0C9F539F-3E53-4D40-B3FD-4260340DC25D.jpeg

R6P2 black without the case:
674B1E5A-BEB1-42A2-9BDC-18F3B0027EED.jpeg

R6P2 purple without the case:
403BFFFB-FE8E-4427-BBB5-137FB0AD9224.jpeg
How is the power on it? It looks great!

Jul 5, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #61,115 of 91,355
I re-purchased Hiby R6 Pro 2 in a different colour. This is one of the best daps I've heard at any price range. It's also nice to look at with its thin bezels.

07062F04-1AE8-4F4B-90B8-59DEB990A1C6.jpeg

While I liked how quirky the purple was, it was a bit loud to look at constantly. The black version comes with a beige / charcoal coloured case. This looks complimentary with my amp (and future Vishnu case):

0C9F539F-3E53-4D40-B3FD-4260340DC25D.jpeg

R6P2 black without the case:
674B1E5A-BEB1-42A2-9BDC-18F3B0027EED.jpeg

R6P2 purple without the case:
403BFFFB-FE8E-4427-BBB5-137FB0AD9224.jpeg
Could you tell me how it sounds?

Jul 5, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #61,116 of 91,355
Could you tell me how it sounds?
@Natesdailies +1 but what I'd also like to know in this context is how you consider the pairing differences of the multiple TOTL DAPs you used to own and heard with TSU vs R6Pro 2 and TSU.
And some conclusion, namely is it worth to invest into some TOTL DAP plus TSU or will some R6Pro 2 play on the same level with TSU at the end of the day and we are talking only about side grades.
I can already predict you are saying price-value-wise it might be R6 Pro2, still people yet owning dedicated TOTL DAPs like myself are questioning whether it's worth keeping them or better selling as long as they are having some higher market value :wink:

Jul 5, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #61,117 of 91,355
@Natesdailies +1 but what I'd also like to know in this context is how you consider the pairing differences of the multiple TOTL DAPs you used to own and heard with TSU vs R6Pro 2 and TSU.
And some conclusion, namely is it worth to invest into some TOTL DAP plus TSU or will some R6Pro 2 play on the same level with TSU at the end of the day and we are talking only about side grades.
I can already predict you are saying price-value-wise it might be R6 Pro2, still people yet owning dedicated TOTL DAPs like myself are questioning whether it's worth keeping them or better selling as long as they are having some higher market value :wink:
I think it comes down to use case also. If you're only looking to run one source device, the point is moot, and you're better off using a TOTL DAP. If you're open to stacking and don't need portability as much, that's when amps come into play.

Jul 5, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #61,118 of 91,355
A18s is sold! And with that closing the 64 chapter of my audio adventure.

While some last minute cable swapping did buy it some time, I ultimately decided to let it go (at an expensive hit as well).

1. Treble shift

I could live with the uni to custom shift in signature. Until I tried FiR and heard their customs, with little to no shift in signature. Turns out I like the treble on their unis more after all, of course my ears say no to metal shells.

2. Cable swaps

Even with the A18s even being more responsive to cable swaps (quite a bit to me). I could still detect the issues I previously listed on some tracks, and that ultimately did it in.

I'm still considering a second Odin. But uh I bought a Sp3K that I'm trying to move.
Giving my neglected Odin time today and I would say if you currently want that excellent forward mid presentation but leaning analytical vs warm and not sacrificing treble or bass quality then pick up an Odin again. There isn't a lot of competition to the Odin's signature out there and it still holds up excellently today vs other ToTLs, for the most part.
I think it comes down to use case also. If you're only looking to run one source device, the point is moot, and you're better off using a TOTL DAP. If you're open to stacking and don't need portability as much, that's when amps come into play.
For me the consideration of adding an amp comes in, barring power needs, when you've found a source, cable, iem that all meet your tonality and technicality requirements but now you want to refine those technicalities in the areas you like most. Do you want deeper, tighter bass, airier extended treble, etc then grab an amp that has a more refined to your tastes flavor and put it on a dedicated line out and you'll have those features and flavors come through.

Jul 5, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #61,119 of 91,355
Am quite aware of the use case topic.
Noone wants to carry a stack while commuting - or at least the majority for example.
My question was more regarding maximizing SQ, listening experience.
If owning TOTL IEMs worth of many thousand k-bucks I am interested in maxing out their capabilities and after owning several TOTL DAPs to my ears there's a significant bump in listening experience once connecting TSU with the right synergies (e.g Jewel with N7 and TSU) compared to listening out of stock DAPs like RS8.
My question was if it's worth to have TOTL DAPs with TSU as source or not as more and more people owning TSU are downsizing their DAPs 😉

Jul 5, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #61,120 of 91,355
Am quite aware of the use case topic.
Noone wants to carry a stack while commuting - or at least the majority for example.
My question was more regarding maximizing SQ, listening experience.
If owning TOTL IEMs worth of many thousand k-bucks I am interested in maxing out their capabilities and after owning several TOTL DAPs to my ears there's a significant bump in listening experience once connecting TSU with the right synergies (e.g Jewel with N7 and TSU) compared to listening out of stock DAPs like RS8.
My question was if it's worth to have TOTL DAPs with TSU as source or not as more and more people owning TSU are downsizing their DAPs 😉

There comes a point where you're not using it as a DAP anymore since the stack is so massive. At that stage you should consider a desktop system if you're all about maximizing SQ, and listening experience.
For myself adding a TSU or C9 to my 320 Max would maximise my SQ but it wouldn't improve my listening experience cause I'd have to haul that stack around and I can't carry it in my hand so now I need a bag for it. That alone would ruin the experience.

So as to worth it, that's a question each of us have to ask ourselves, is it worth it? It doesn't count of downsizing if switching to the N7 as it's more of a special case being 1-bit

Jul 5, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #61,121 of 91,355
There comes a point where you're not using it as a DAP anymore since the stack is so massive. At that stage you should consider a desktop system if you're all about maximizing SQ, and listening experience.
For myself adding a TSU or C9 to my 320 Max would maximise my SQ but it wouldn't improve my listening experience cause I'd have to haul that stack around and I can't carry it in my hand so now I need a bag for it. That alone would ruin the experience.

So as to worth it, that's a question each of us have to ask ourselves, is it worth it? It doesn't count of downsizing if switching to the N7 as it's more of a special case being 1-bit
Thx for your feedback!
And yes you are right with the stack but
- TSU is the lightest TOTL mobile amp which is quite usable even for commuting imho in contrast to C9 for example just from its footprint and weight
- I am not talking about N7 (I am happy owner of that one too) but people moving to R6 Pro2
- I am myself mostly using the TOTL IEMs at home only, so no problem moving that light Stack from desk to bed to sofa etc
- After listening to Ferrum-Holo Desktop Stack with my IEMs I have to say that I am unsure if that's finally really a side grade taste question vs Sp3k plus TSU or N7 plus TSU.
So my question is also about finding the border of what is meaningful from a pure SQ point of view for IEMs only

But maybe I am only having the naive hope to end the never-ending search at some point 😉

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #61,122 of 91,355
That's more a question of how large is your wallet. :sweat_smile: A TOTL DAP should always outperform a midrange DAP, even with an external amp. Might be minimal, but if you're looking for max quality, that would be it. Others who have tried it more will need to confirm though.
This too. There's always going to be another step up going to desktop amps. Depends how far you want to go and how important portability is in the equation. If you're not taking a stack around and only amping when you're home or at a desk, you'll probably get more bang for back and better performance from a larger stationary desktop amp than a portable amp. But it also depends on the amp, synergy etc. Most desktop amps aren't designed to cater for sensitive IEMs.

Jul 5, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #61,123 of 91,355
He wrote that regardless of the price, it is the best dap around .... I had the L&P LP6 Ti, and therefore I was interested in learning more about it. If it sounds better than LP6 I might consider it.....

Jul 5, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #61,125 of 91,355

Just speaking for myself, I stick with a portable setup not so much for portability, but for transportability. By which I mean, I’m not going to pull out my Sp3k + Tsuranagi on an airplane or on the subway, or for going on a walk. But I highly value being able to listen to my gear while on the couch playing Zelda, or at my desk while working, or laying in bed as I wind down for the evening. The idea of being stuck with a single listening spot in the house that I have to go to when listening is just unappealing for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back