The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 20, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #59,026 of 88,245
Op-Amps.jpg

Interested in discovering something a little different? I've just conducted an Op-Amp Shootout which you're invited to read. :ksc75smile:

May 20, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #59,027 of 88,245
May 21, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #59,030 of 88,245
Last edited:
May 21, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #59,031 of 88,245
Polish_20230519_175036819.jpg

So I have had some time with the GL-AMT16 now! :)
Polish_20230519_175120495.jpg

The unboxing experience was amazing!
Polish_20230519_175248367.jpg

A wide array of tips and nozzles are available, the nozzles mainly change the highs (around 2khz and up) in intensity, and slightly in focus of tuning.
Polish_20230519_175415527.jpg

Polish_20230519_175506072.jpg

It took a while to try out all these variations, I think I have finally settled on the smaller variant of the nozzle without a filter, together with the slightly smaller shaped silicone tips. The treble is a little tamer, but does not feel dampened, with this combination, as altering the treble too much would hurt the novelty factor of this IEM to me.

Polish_20230519_175550132.jpg

Cable is nice, functional, maybe a little heavy but still usable. Doesn't feel especially high quality, but also not cheap to me.

DSC_0252.JPG

The fit is good, not the best I've had. Could not wear those endlessly, as I could with EXT and SE846. Isolation is pretty good as well, for an IEM with three holes in it. (!) Can't withstand any wind of course. Build quality overall feels solid, guess I'll see in time about that.

Now for sound:
Believe me, it was not an easy transition, coming from EXT and SE846. The AMT16 is very different from those. I would describe its' sound as a high-mid to low high focus. I had to try out many combinations of tips, nozzles and music and then give myself time to adjust to the tuning, as I have never owned a set that's focused like this. Sub-bass has very short decay, the driver feels extremely fast, sometimes too much so, depending on the track. Mid-bass is good. Once I became accustomed to the sound, it felt a lot more balanced in it's own right, just more specialized for certain music. Very tactile sound overall, you can feel a lot of vibrations, even at the higher khz spectrum, which is that outstanding factor of this driver technology, I would think. The speed of the driver really shines here. Vocals, strings, percussions, wind instruments. All sound like a finely woven net of silver cloth with a lot of air in between, but with less silkyness and upper high extension than EST highs for example. This is all very subjective of course, but it feels like an entirely new thing to me.

I still have a lot of time to invest in these, more music to hear and maybe even another nozzle change to undergo, we will see about that. The gaping hole into the IEM is a little worrying to be honest. :D Would feel a little safer with a filtered nozzle.

Cannot put any links here, since the head-fi app will delete my post, but these are some examples of music that shines with the AMT16:

Joni Mitchell - Don Juans Daughter
Pat Metheny - Bright Size Life
Laufey - The Reykjavik Sessions
Wayne Shorter - EMANON
Owane - Whatever

Solo piano records, orchestral and classical music and classic jazz stuff, but also classic rock and prog and modern fusion can work very well. You can see where this is going though: EDM lovers should probably look elsewhere, this will not be for you, nor for me in that regard.

There is more to discover, but I think I got the gist of it :) The tanginess of the sound is what makes this one special and I want to explore this aspect a lot more, since it is the feature of an AMT driver I assume.

Thanks for reading and have a good sunday people!

*edit* I may have undersold the mid-bass a little. Basslines, especially from stringed instruments, sound very detailed and are right in the mix, just not as pronounced as with other IEMs I have heard. But the tactile quality also applies here.

Attachments

• Polish_20230519_175219274.jpg
    Polish_20230519_175219274.jpg
    927.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 21, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #59,032 of 88,245
A quick Hi to all from Turkish Mesopotamia where at Körtiktepe in 10,400 BC humanity for the first time ever combined permanent settlements with burial gifts, agriculture, and livestock to create leisure time for listening to music through the very best audiophile systems available!

Having a slow Sunday morning here in Mardin to read up a bit, and after digging through @Delitia's OTL review I started wondering whether one can have too much note weight in the chain. I take it that's a big No and the ultimate goal, but if you say Yes instead, what would be the effect? Any thoughts out there?

20230517_122444.jpg

(Toppled remains of the Comagene empire at Mount Nemrud)

20230517_182843.jpg

(The sad remains of the house of my pension owner in Karadut after the earthquake in Februari)

20230520_090255.jpg

20230520_090414.jpg

(A simple weed)

20230517_095325.jpg

(Dung beetle - a minimalist if there ever was one)

20230517_105937.jpg

(And the most spoiled cat ever?)

Take care guys. And, well... non-guys of course. Will stay tuned to learn from your answers.

drftr

May 21, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #59,033 of 88,245
A quick Hi to all from Turkish Mesopotamia where at Körtiktepe in 10,400 BC humanity for the first time ever combined permanent settlements with burial gifts, agriculture, and livestock to create leisure time for listening to music through the very best audiophile systems available!

Having a slow Sunday morning here in Mardin to read up a bit, and after digging through @Delitia's OTL review I started wondering whether one can have too much note weight in the chain. I take it that's a big No and the ultimate goal, but if you say Yes instead, what would be the effect? Any thoughts out there?

(Toppled remains of the Comagene empire at Mount Nemrud)

(The sad remains of the house of my pension owner in Karadut after the earthquake in Februari)

(A simple weed)

(Dung beetle - a minimalist if there ever was one)

(And the most spoiled cat ever?)

Take care guys. And, well... non-guys of course. Will stay tuned to learn from your answers.

drftr
Beautiful pictures!

Last edited:
May 21, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #59,034 of 88,245
Beautiful pictures!
For a phone where the normal lens is broken and only macro and wide angle can be used it's fine. Did you notice the tiny guy on the back of the dung beetle? Can't see if that tiny guy has an insect on his back himself though :wink:

Did you attend the hifi show?

drftr

May 21, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #59,035 of 88,245
For a phone where the normal lens is broken and only macro and wide angle can be used it's fine. Did you notice the tiny guy on the back of the dung beetle? Can't see if that tiny guy has an insect on his back himself though :wink:

Did you attend the hifi show?

drftr
Yeah :D I did notice him, pretty funny :D

These hi-fi shows are all pretty much out of reach for me most of the time, but tomorrow I have an appointment with Vision Ears in Cologne for a small repair :) I will ask them if I could listen to some of their other offerings.

Where are you going next?

May 21, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #59,036 of 88,245
Yeah :D I did notice him, pretty funny :D

These hi-fi shows are all pretty much out of reach for me most of the time, but tomorrow I have an appointment with Vision Ears in Cologne for a small repair :) I will ask them if I could listen to some of their other offerings.

Where are you going next?
Finally getting your ears repaired huh? :wink:

I always wondered whether the name Vision Ears came from Visionaries. Just in case you remember this tomorrow...

@phiemon Did you attend? I always thought Phönix and LE would be so much better with improved timbre and am wondering if the A&K partnership delivered just that by adding DD to the show. And since you have/had my other favourites I'd be curious for your (and indeed anyone's) thoughts on this. Tnx!

drftr

May 21, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #59,038 of 88,245
May 21, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #59,040 of 88,245
Strangest thing.

My friend’s FiiO M17 looks like this now. @urfman

d7a5d856-b8ca-44e2-9ddd-04fed9940703.jpeg

The battery just swelled and the cover ripped out!

Treat with care, as lithium batteries that are outgassing are potentially dangerous. Take precautions.​

https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/What_to...s when a battery,leading to a swollen battery.

WARNING​

Whether swollen or not, lithium-ion batteries may catch fire or explode if handled improperly. Proceed with caution and at your own risk when removing a battery from an electronic device. If you have doubts about your ability to do so safely, power down and isolate the device, and consult a professional repair technician.

Removing a swollen battery can be hazardous, but leaving a swollen battery inside a device also poses risks. To prevent potential device and bodily harm, don’t operate your device with a swollen battery. These guidelines offer best practices for removing swollen batteries, but can't guarantee a safe repair. If you have doubts, power the device down, place it in a fireproof container, take it to a repair professional and ask them to remove the faulty battery. Don't delay battery removal. If your swollen battery was purchased from iFixit, take photos of the battery before and after removing it, then contact our customer service team for warranty claims or replacement.

Block Image

What to do with a swollen battery​

Removal and disposal of a swollen battery can be dangerous, but leaving a swollen battery inside a device can also cause serious harm. Read all warnings carefully and proceed at your own risk. All batteries are hazardous waste and must be disposed of properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back