The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 30, 2023 at 3:31 AM Post #54,136 of 88,379
Oh man, this is so bad... Do we really deserve to live as a species???

I am also surprised by your choice, PAW6k is almost the opposite of RU6: clean and uncolored reference. Why not keep RU6 since it is so small.
PAW6000 completely cured the wooly bass and the lower treble peak of the Sultan, and improved everything else by more than just a notch. I knew (and wrote here) that both the mids and musicality would get a tiny hit, but the extent surprised me. Copy/pasting from a PM with Ian:

"I played one of my favourite recordings that normally turns my stomach upside down in certain passages, and the only thing that happened was that I registered it was playing while my mind kept wandering off to irrelevant thoughts. That's not what I was aiming for!"

Anybody knows when the new M12 64 Audio Apex Module will be released seperatly from the U4s? Really interested in trying it out.
By all means reach out to them directly. I mean, I asked whether they would please consider producing an XL version of their eartips and they did! So why not sending out a pair of modules that they have on the shelf already. Tell them you can't get your U18s to perform the way you hoped for and are desperate to give them yet another chance with m12.

drftr

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #54,137 of 88,379
IMG_0007.jpeg
IMG_0006.jpeg

New RS8 case.

Mar 30, 2023 at 4:57 AM Post #54,138 of 88,379
I watched the first 10 or so Bond movies for the first time in my life during a Bond movie marathon when I was 10 or so. Majesty's was my favorite from day one. The main reason? The music. I was fortunate as a kid to live through a golden era of music in movies. John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, Basil Polidouris, Ennio Morricone and many more but my favorite of all was John Barry, whose music could be hauntingly beautiful but also super bombastic and jazzy. I think my love of jazz may have started with Barry's Bond scores. Anyway when I first heard Barry's opening theme for Majesty's it was all over-- one of my all time favorite pieces of music and as a kid I couldn't get enough of it. The soundtrack to this movie was the first CD I ever bought with my own money.

I get goosebumps from this to this day. Point of trivia the opening bars to this song feature perhaps the very first ever use of a Moog synthesizer in this sort of composition. Barry was super innovative.

In addition this movie from an artistic standpoint was and I would argue still is the highwater mark of the whole franchise-- it's the most cinematic, the most literary, has the best cinematography, the most powerful story & ending and also it has the best action of any of the films prior to the modern era.

While the movie was my favorite from day one it took me a while to realize that Lazenby was my favorite Bond. He gave the most human portrayal of all the early movies and was the most naturally Bond-like of all the actors. The man was a fight instructor for the Australian special forces (even training with Bruce Lee for a bit at one point) and moved a panther. He was also a model and he had the swagger and confidence of a man who could walk unknown and unannounced into the offices of (at the time) the biggest movie producers in the world and say "I'm your guy"...and get the part. I think he even knocked out a stunt man in the process. Laz was a legend.

98a18-1bwt23plumxvwpcewixsppq.jpg

Yeah the ending was a punch in the guts. Lazenby walked away from a 7 picture contract and as a result we never got a proper revenge driven followup to this movie to avenge her death. Diana Rigg was pure class (and a total babe).

Diana-Rigg-with-snake-hi-res-e1556275216324-1200x1511-1-794x1000.jpg

Here's a cool fan-made trailer of On Her Majesty's Secred Service

Laz has been in some odd movies afterwards... Not particularly career-friendly 🤣

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230330_105438_IMDb.jpg
    Screenshot_20230330_105438_IMDb.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 0
Mar 30, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #54,139 of 88,379
By all means reach out to them directly. I mean, I asked whether they would please consider producing an XL version of their eartips and they did! So why not sending out a pair of modules that they have on the shelf already. Tell them you can't get your U18s to perform the way you hoped for and are desperate to give them yet another chance with m12.

drftr
Good idea, thanks!

Mar 30, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #54,140 of 88,379
So, I get up this morning and put the Xe6 in my ears. They sound GREAT!!!!!! playing old pop music from Tidal .They are more dynamic than my F5 and EVO. an excellent choice. Using iFi gold Go Bar from my Mac Mini.
The sound will either get better or not. Will listen again Friday. If no improvement, I will quit the break in.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #54,148 of 88,379
Am I allowed to post photos here lol?

Just dropped by to say hello. SteveK sent me this thread's link the other day and well, it was cool reading through people's impressions. The IEMs were very 'primitive' when it were shown as schedule was very tight when we got ready for the CJ. Thanks to everyone's input (including Jude's) we know what and where needs improving. :)

Edit: I forgot to properly introduce myself. The name is Hieu and I am from Soranik, the guy in red shirt if anyone has seen the photos of last week CJ. We brought some demos of the MEMS prototype to the event and it was the coolest CJ I ever attended!
Nice to e-meet with you, Hieu.
You can and you should post photos here! :wink:
Always feel free to contact me by PM if you have any doubts, or just want to chat.

I would LOVE to try your prototypes or (better yet) the final products... Are you coming to CanJam Chicago in June or SoCal in September?

Mar 30, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #54,149 of 88,379
Is anyone else getting 504 Gateway errors on Head-fi today?
Ok, confirmed then that I am not the only one who has problems with Head-Fi today.

It works very badly, very slow, and it gives me many errors.

Mar 30, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #54,150 of 88,379
Am I allowed to post photos here lol?

Just dropped by to say hello. SteveK sent me this thread's link the other day and well, it was cool reading through people's impressions. The IEMs were very 'primitive' when it were shown as schedule was very tight when we got ready for the CJ. Thanks to everyone's input (including Jude's) we know what and where needs improving. :)

Edit: I forgot to properly introduce myself. The name is Hieu and I am from Soranik, the guy in red shirt if anyone has seen the photos of last week CJ. We brought some demos of the MEMS prototype to the event and it was the coolest CJ I ever attended!
Welcome Hieu. Your neighbour in Saigon Pearl here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back