The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 14, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #52,397 of 91,367
It also speaks to the importance of picking the right mastering engineer for your project. You can have a record with great performances, an awesome recording and a stellar mix, only to have it botched at the finish line at mastering. I can’t tell you the amount of almost-great records I’ve heard where I’m like, “Agh… If only they used a little less compression, or tried a slightly different EQ, or imaged it just a bit wider.”
Actually there may be a lot of variables that put people to specific ME as well. Like budget, timing, pressure, labels... but yeah, some artists have great relationship with specific ME and goes the whole carrier with the same team. Synergy...

Mar 14, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #52,398 of 91,367
Ragnar are my #1 even with stock cable. If you don't want sharpness on highs some cable rolling may help. These like KK on steroid and for me the highest resolution I've heard from IEMs to date.

And if you like Mentor maybe you like Traillii too. Trailli with Orpheus Shield have something very special that other sets didn't.

From your rank list I think you may like Trailli more. But for me nothing (not even Le Jardin) beat Ragnar with Code 23 and KK with Code 23 both are sets I'm fine myself enjoy the most.
20230314_095920.JPG
20230314_095925.JPG
20230314_095949.JPG

:) Can't wait for Tsuranagi!!

Mar 14, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #52,399 of 91,367
Doesn't mean a thing, I'm sorry. Mathijn received a message his parcel had been delivered 3 weeks earlier and then of course contacted them saying he hadn't received it at all! But since it was just 64Audio modules chances were less than zero the delivery guy would have held them himselve. We've been in contact with them far over 10 times and in the end gave up. Then the message from that other person appeared from heaven weeks later.

Now you know exactly how happy I am to go back to a sh!t country like that where everyone is right except you.

drftr

Yeah I’m quite amazed at the attitude from the seller - we are sorry, but not our fault! - which if I hadn’t asked what carrier they use, I’d accept but they clearly stated DHL or GLS before I ordered. I’ve now asked for a refund, see what happens next!

Mar 14, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #52,401 of 91,367
Yeah I’m quite amazed at the attitude from the seller - we are sorry, but not our fault! - which if I hadn’t asked what carrier they use, I’d accept but they clearly stated DHL or GLS before I ordered. I’ve now asked for a refund, see what happens next!
Well, not too much I guess, until you ask for 37th time.

There's even a word for this: Developed country.

I call it a mental illness.

drftr

Mar 14, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #52,402 of 91,367
I never gave that a thought to be honest but indeed it must be extremely frustrating being an engineer yourself.

drftr
Yeah, and it isn't even with the snobbery of like, "I can do so much better." It's just super... in Indonesia, we call it gemas, where it's like, "You were soooo close!" :D There is the rare occasion where the adjustments needed are so small and doable without too much artifacting and degradation, that I've personally taken the time to "fix" it for my own consumption. An example would be Jos Ankin and Thomas Lang's prog-rock cover of Paganini's Caprice No. 24.

This is the version they released: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MrQtvWmyj0Q8iOHsT0NCBlKzsF0TU06c/view?usp=share_link

I thought it sounded quite good, but it felt a bit mono-sounding to me. The stereo spread was pretty narrow, and it only occupied the centre of my head. So, I decided to use an S1 Imager to widen the image, and I used EQ to take out a bit of energy around 5kHz and 300Hz, where I felt the record was slightly crowded dynamically.

This is the result: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OrRGU2UvpVHqHz3H5T8j1mqQD7Fua1AL/view?usp=share_link

Now, it's very debatable which is the "better" version. Some might say the original has a more upfront, punchy sound, while my interpretation is too relaxed for this genre of music. Some might say the relaxed master is a good complement to the heavy metal playing. I think there's no wrong answer. All I did was tweak it to be the record I want to hear, and that's good enough for me. :D

Actually there may be a lot of variables that put people to specific ME as well. Like budget, timing, pressure, labels... but yeah, some artists have great relationship with specific ME and goes the whole carrier with the same team. Synergy...
That's very true. When it comes to most chart-topping pop artists, I imagine their engineers are picked for them. Whereas, hip-hop artists usually collaborate very closely with their producer, and they leave the mastering up to them too. I think the best results come from musicians that hand-select their own engineers and are with them from start to finish. But, again, nothing is guaranteed. You just gotta swing and hope you hit a home run. :)

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #52,404 of 91,367
Yeah, and it isn't even with the snobbery of like, "I can do so much better." It's just super... in Indonesia, we call it gemas, where it's like, "You were soooo close!" :D There is the rare occasion where the adjustments needed are so small and doable without too much artifacting and degradation, that I've personally taken the time to "fix" it for my own consumption. An example would be Jos Ankin and Thomas Lang's prog-rock cover of Paganini's Caprice No. 24.

This is the version they released: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MrQtvWmyj0Q8iOHsT0NCBlKzsF0TU06c/view?usp=share_link

I thought it sounded quite good, but it felt a bit mono-sounding to me. The stereo spread was pretty narrow, and it only occupied the centre of my head. So, I decided to use an S1 Imager to widen the image, and I used EQ to take out a bit of energy around 5kHz and 300Hz, where I felt the record was slightly crowded dynamically.

This is the result: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OrRGU2UvpVHqHz3H5T8j1mqQD7Fua1AL/view?usp=share_link

That's very true. When it comes to most chart-topping pop artists, I imagine their engineers are picked for them. Whereas, hip-hop artists usually collaborate very closely with their producer, and they leave the mastering up to them too. I think the best results come from musicians that hand-select their own engineers and are with them from start to finish. But, again, nothing is guaranteed. You just gotta swing and hope you hit a home run. :)
I have always thought the next big step in buying music would be that you could buy the master with all its separate channels and then do with it whatever you want. Don't hold your breath though.

drftr

Mar 14, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #52,405 of 91,367
Well, not too much I guess, until you ask for 37th time.

There's even a word for this: Developed country.

I call it a mental illness.

drftr

Thankfully I paid using PayPal so if they don’t play ball, I can raise a case. Either way, under EU consumer law they have to!

Mar 14, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #52,407 of 91,367
I have always thought the next big step in buying music would be that you could buy the master with all its separate channels and then do with it whatever you want. Don't hold your breath though.

drftr
There recently was an app launched where artists can share their stems and let users make their own mixes or hear individual tracks. I can't remember what it's called, but I believe it was co-developed by Clyde Lawrence from the band Lawrence. Snarky Puppy released one of their tracks on there. I don't know whether or not you could bounce those custom mixes into a 2-channel stereo track, though, because that could potentially cause issues in licensing, publishing, etc. That's actually most of the reason why artists today can't really release stems, unless they're independent. More often than not, it's the label that owns the master. There's also the issue of computing power and battery power, because running all those tracks in unison does take a lot of CPU processing, RAM and charge to do. But, I can see a future where that kind of app becomes more widespread for sure.

Mar 14, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #52,408 of 91,367
I actually should have remembered that name as Sultan came with one. I gave it away because my backpack fitted in the case instead of the other way 'round.

Will have a look what else they have though. Thing is, the brilliant Pelican 1010 case is (brace yourself) 1 mm too narrow for the P6k.

drftr
The 1020 may work, I also have a 1040.. I think that can fit in a backpack without issue.

Mar 14, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #52,409 of 91,367
It also speaks to the importance of picking the right mastering engineer for your project. You can have a record with great performances, an awesome recording and a stellar mix, only to have it botched at the finish line at mastering. I can’t tell you the amount of almost-great records I’ve heard where I’m like, “Agh… If only they used a little less compression, or tried a slightly different EQ, or imaged it just a bit wider.”
And then you get the end user blaming their IEMs or DAPs... :sweat:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back