The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 2, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #30,886 of 87,654
Mmmm pike place chowder…..

7F7F83D6-EDF9-4A7A-8F69-B5D285DD82E6.jpeg

the gum wall of Seattle

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #30,888 of 87,654
So like I said, in the name of science - and compulsive procrastination when I have work to do - I did a quick mini A/B/C between three tips on Z1R: Sony EP-EX11 (or Sony Spare Eartips, as they're romantically called), Final E (original), and Acoustune AEX07. All S size (I have narrow canals).

I used familiar sections from three tracks: Ethel Cain - Thoroughfare (2:50-4:00), Beyries - Pursuit of Happiness (0:00-2:00) and Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing (0:00-2:00).

I won't go into specifics, just the findings.

PSX_20220802_140519.jpg

Build/shape: all three tips are bullet shaped and made from ultrasoft, comfortable silicone. All are more or less the same height and width (11mm). Final slightly wider in the middle.

Softness/comfort: Sony = Final > Acoustune

Bore size: Sony = Final (small), Acoustune moderate

Grippiness: Acoustune (matte) > Final (smooth) > Sony (slick)

Sound: I was mainly testing for bass response/focus, vocal purity/clarity/fullness, and treble detail/smoothness.

Bass: Final and Sony have more pronounced/impactful bass with deep sub-bass and good midbass punch. Acoustune is more neutral, with good punch but less sub-bass rumble.

Mids (vocals): Sony is fuller and warmer, and sounds smoother and more natural. Acoustune adds air to the vocals, with slightly more detail but also thinner and not as full. Final E sits in the middle, with more air than Sony but less full. Final also seems to hollow out the vocals a bit, a consistent trait I hear with these tips and most IEMs.

Treble: Sony and Final slightly attenuate the treble, with Sony the smoother of the two. Final is oddly peaky with some treble notes, another characteristic I've heard before with other IEMs. Acoustune has airier treble, which opens up the stage and adds a touch of detail, but sacrifices warmth.

Conclusion

Both Final and Acoustune add some detail compared to the Sony tips but sound less natural and cohesive. All three tips are among the most comfortable I've used, especially compared to firmer silicone tips like Sedna EarFit, with Sony and Final sharing the overall comfort prize.

Verdict: Sony is my overall preference. It sacrifices some air/detail in return for a smoother, fuller and more 'correct' sound with Z1R. Outstanding bass/mids/treble in equal measure. Accoustune is great for those wanting less bass and more midrange detail/air, but beware of poorly recorded female vocals and treble with these. Final is a good substitute for the Sony, but lacks some refinement in the vocals/treble by comparison.

L to R: Final, Sony, Acoustune

PSX_20220802_140421.jpg

PSX_20220802_140331.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #30,890 of 87,654
Ear wax ewww

Aug 2, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #30,891 of 87,654
Yep, though Spiral Dots are my faves for comfort, Sony's far cheaper EP-EX11 feel and sound even better to me with Z1R. And you can usually buy them on Amazon Japan too. I also prefer Acoustune's new AEX07 tips to Spirals with the Z1R. The Sony tips tame the treble more and punch up the bass, while AEX opens up the midrange and treble.
I liked the Spiral Dots+ for EXT, but for other IEMs with a long nozzle it usually slides down and exposes the nozzle for me.

AEX07 is OK, I find the material a bit hard, prefer the old AET07/08. My go-to has always been Azla Lights and now I am really enjoying the Azla Max for my minuscule ears.

Aug 2, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #30,892 of 87,654
So like I said, in the name of science - and compulsive procrastination when I have work to do - I did a quick mini A/B/C between three tips on Z1R: Sony EP-EX11 (or Sony Spare Eartips, as they're romantically called), Final E (original), and Acoustune AEX07. All S size (I have narrow canals).

I used familiar sections from three tracks: Ethel Cain - Thoroughfare (2:50-4:00), Beyries - Pursuit of Happiness (0:00-2:00) and Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing (0:00-2:00).

I won't go into specifics, just the findings.

PSX_20220802_140519.jpg

Build/shape: all three tips are bullet shaped and made from ultrasoft, comfortable silicone. All are more or less the same height and width (11mm). Final slightly wider in the middle.

Softness/comfort: Sony = Final > Acoustune

Bore size: Sony = Final (small), Acoustune moderate

Grippiness: Acoustune (matte) > Final (smooth) > Sony (slick)

Sound: I was mainly testing for bass response/focus, vocal purity/clarity/fullness, and treble detail/smoothness.

Bass: Final and Sony have more pronounced/impactful bass with deep sub-bass and good midbass punch. Acoustune is more neutral, with good punch but less sub-bass rumble.

Mids (vocals): Sony is fuller and warmer, and sounds smoother and more natural. Acoustune adds air to the vocals, with slightly more detail but also thinner and not as full. Final E sits in the middle, with more air than Sony but less full. Final also seems to hollow out the vocals a bit, a consistent trait I hear with these tips and most IEMs.

Treble: Sony and Final slightly attenuate the treble, with Sony the smoother of the two. Final is oddly peaky with some treble notes, another characteristic I've heard before with other IEMs. Acoustune has airier treble, which opens up the stage and adds a touch of detail, but sacrifices warmth.

Conclusion

Both Final and Acoustune add some detail compared to the Sony tips but sound less natural and cohesive. All three tips are among the most comfortable I've used, especially compared to firmer silicone tips like Sedna EarFit, with Sony and Final sharing the overall comfort prize.

Verdict: Sony is my overall preference. It sacrifices some air/detail in return for a smoother, fuller and more 'correct' sound with Z1R. Outstanding bass/mids/treble in equal measure. Accoustune is great for those wanting less bass and more midrange detail/air, but beware of poorly recorded female vocals and treble with these. Final is a good substitute for the Sony, but lacks some refinement in the vocals/treble by comparison.

L to R: Final, Sony, Acoustune

PSX_20220802_140421.jpg
PSX_20220802_140331.jpg

Love it - I've work to do... but hang on, I'll compare tips instead :) I've been delayed by about 2 hours in terms of other plans due to messing about with tips on Z1R, which led to cable switching on Jewel.

Great analysis 👍

Aug 2, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #30,893 of 87,654
I'm on my final day of a short break and given that it's raining out, I thought I'd spend time with Z1R before putting on classifieds... the spending time bit was clearly a serious schoolboy error, and I should know better by now! Z1R lives to fight another day, maybe I should just admit defeat and accept that I'm a collector and hoarder...

20220802_094835.jpg
Welcome to the collector/hoarder branch if the Watercooler. I thought you might be when you unlisted your second IEM from classifieds.

Aug 2, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #30,894 of 87,654
More shuffle tutorial for the iems…….

Aug 2, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #30,895 of 87,654
Aug 2, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #30,896 of 87,654
Musicteck have the UM Mest MkII on sale at $999. I’ve never heard it before but I think it is well regarded by many. At that price is it worth blind buy?

The IEMs in my signature should tell you the type of sound I like.

Aug 2, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #30,897 of 87,654
giphy.gif

Aug 2, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #30,898 of 87,654
Musicteck have the UM Mest MkII on sale at $999. I’ve never heard it before but I think it is well regarded by many. At that price is it worth blind buy?

The IEMs in my signature should tell you the type of sound I like.

I think you may like it - I managed to try a fellow head-fiers at the show and for me it was a bit peaky and not quite my tuning versus the MEXT. But technically it's very solid and the boner works really well in it.

Aug 2, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #30,899 of 87,654
I think you may like it - I managed to try a fellow head-fiers at the show and for me it was a bit peaky and not quite my tuning versus the MEXT. But technically it's very solid and the boner works really well in it.
It’s the peaky bit I’m not sure of. I’m quite sensitive to those higher areas. I’m still debating on it though.

Aug 2, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #30,900 of 87,654
But technically it's very solid and the boner works really well in it.
100% gonna pass on sticking that into my ears, thank you very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back