The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 25, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #30,211 of 86,933
More extension at both end of the spectrum?! I can imagine XE6 having more treble extension but can’t imagine anything reaching deeper than EVOs bass… from what I’ve read the XE6 goes for more of a mid bass emphasis and lacks a little extension in the sub bass compared to other TOTL in this area. That’s the impressions I got from the posts I’ve read anyway.
EVO and XE6 are very different IEMs. I would agree with your characterization of how they differ.

You can absolutely go wrong buying either of these IEMs. It may not be your flavor. I loved EVO out of the box at first listen. It took me a week of listening to like XE6. That's mainly due to my preference for sub bass and more separation between bass and mids.

Jul 25, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #30,212 of 86,933
More extension at both end of the spectrum?! I can imagine XE6 having more treble extension but can’t imagine anything reaching deeper than EVOs bass… from what I’ve read the XE6 goes for more of a mid bass emphasis and lacks a little extension in the sub bass compared to other TOTL in this area. That’s the impressions I got from the posts I’ve read anyway.
For me, Xe6 wasn't all that extended. If the sub is extended at all, the mid is so phat it's hard to distinguish. ymmv with material and all that.
Noir sounded deeper but I have not heard the 2 Legend's for any direct comparisons.

Jul 25, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #30,213 of 86,933
For me, Xe6 wasn't all that extended. If the sub is extended at all, the mid is so phat it's hard to distinguish. ymmv with material and all that.
Noir sounded deeper but I have not heard the 2 Legend's for any direct comparisons.
Agreed.

Jul 25, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #30,214 of 86,933

XE6 in CIEM (at least to me) has better sub bass depth than Evo. Evo just follows a more traditional type of bass shelf, XE6 isn’t as sub bassy as Evo but I heard it giving deeper sub bass in general when I had both. The way XE6 resolves those sub bass notes is the best I have heard.

Jul 25, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #30,215 of 86,933
lol

Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 11.05.20 AM.png

Jul 25, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #30,216 of 86,933
XE6 in CIEM (at least to me) has better sub bass depth than Evo. Evo just follows a more traditional type of bass shelf, XE6 isn’t as sub bassy as Evo but I heard it giving deeper sub bass in general when I had both. The way XE6 resolves those sub bass notes is the best I have heard.
Could that be due to the superior seal you get with the CIEM?

For me, without a bass shelf, the mids by definition interplay with the bass. Extension is the ability to hit the lower frequencies. If it hits it at all, you can use gain to increase it. Without a bass shelf, increasing the gain also increases the mids which makes it muddier. That is completely different than texture and nuance which are not properties of subbass since they are at frequencies that you can only feel anyway.

Jul 25, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #30,217 of 86,933
20220725_141047.jpg

They complement each other very well. I will be trying some more tolt iems but I'm in audio nirvana right now :)

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #30,218 of 86,933
20220725_141047.jpg

They complement each other very well. Will trying some more tolt iems but I'm in audio nirvana right now :)
Did you have another handle on Head fi prior to this current one? You have a pretty deep collection of audio gear for not encountering head fi before now.

Jul 25, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #30,219 of 86,933
Did you have another handle on Head fi prior to this current one? You have a pretty deep collection of audio gear for not encountering head fi before now.
Negative, just happen to find headfi about a year ago or so. I'm so glad I did. Been lurking around and reading a lot of literature :)..... Until now.

Jul 25, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #30,220 of 86,933
It's added mid bass relative to the EVO might give the impression of it being more mid bass focussed but the XE6 absolutely does not skimp on the sub bass.

Jul 25, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #30,221 of 86,933
I would totally agree with this. Just goes to show that we all hear differently, I guess.

Jul 25, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #30,222 of 86,933

For me, without a bass shelf, the mids by definition interplay with the bass. Extension is the ability to hit the lower frequencies. If it hits it at all, you can use gain to increase it. Without a bass shelf, increasing the gain also increases the mids which makes it muddier. That is completely different than texture and nuance which are not properties of subbass since they are at frequencies that you can only feel anyway.
I match @aaf evo's findings and I have the UIEM version of the XE6. I do have an unusually good fit with them though, so maybe that is why.

Jul 25, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #30,223 of 86,933
Both are absolutely top tier IEMs. I'd say the principal differences are that the XE6 has more extension at both ends of the spectrum (and perhaps a bit more mid bass too). It also has a significantly bigger stage. The quality and control of the bass is excellent on both but the tactile nature of the low end has a slightly different flavour on each. I assume this is due to the difference between the XE6's 'kinetic bass' and the EVO's 'weapon x' bone conduction driver in how each delivers it.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with (and I wouldn't want to part with) either. It's impossible for me to say which one would be my preference as both have such unique signatures and I tend to yo-yo between them on any given day.
Great thanks, one more question how does Szalayi sound different than XE6, and everything else you have? XE6 particularly since I have that IEM already. Helpful info on EVO.

I was expecting tamer less energy everywhere for Szalayi compared to XE6.

Jul 25, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #30,224 of 86,933
Thunder are absolutely the definition of emotional connection! Great to hear you are enjoying them.

Definitely enjoying them! For my tastes they do any genre of music beautifully. Last nights listening was all over the map from the Pineapple Thief to Dr Dre, Amon Tobin to Melody Gardot, Gun's and Roses to Rachmoninoff... all just superb. I love that the bass can hit so hard with texture and definition and yet not obscure anything.
Still a week or so out from my review but I think we know my conclusion.

As far as the Dioko goes I changed the stock cable to one of my Hart Audio modular cables and plugged it into my Singxer SA1. It seemed to wake up. The IEM output on my RME ADI-2 DAC FS didn't really bring out its best. Very very good for it's price point!
So happy to see how thunder is growing you, take your time to find best source, cable and tips and you’ll enjoy even more 😍

Jul 25, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #30,225 of 86,933

I have no clue. But to me XE6 sub bass is superior to Evo and it’s a hill I’m willing to die on. I’ve thought it even since I had the universals and when I got a CIEM and rebought the Evo I felt the same too.

But again, there is a difference between emphasis and depth/extension. XE6 doesn’t have the emphasis but I feel it’s superior in depth/extension. The bottom end of XE6 just sounds endless to me in its reach.

At the end of the day they’re the two best bass IEMs I have heard and one wouldn’t make me not want the other as they’re tuned very differently. It’s nice to be spoiled for choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back