The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 1, 2024 at 12:24 AM Post #82,532 of 89,501
Hello Coolers and Friends,

I hope everyone is happy and healthy. :) Canjam NYC is right around the corner and I am sure all the goers are super excited. I hope you all have a wonderful time.

Over the years, I have had a great experience in the WaterCooler and made some really great friends. I have finally come to a very calm place in the hobby and I am ready to step back and enjoy the gear I have and dig into more music, especially live music. This place has helped me grow in my own understanding of my preferences and the data available here is a goldmine, as well as the community of like minded folks. I am thankful and happy to have been a part of it. Take care and much love and peace. Farewell for now. Over and out

-Jeremy
You will be missed here @jwilliamhurst :cry:
Take care and until we meet again :wink:
Maybe come back here and at least read the NYC CJ report :smile:

Mar 1, 2024 at 1:45 AM Post #82,534 of 89,501
Farewell for now. Over and out
It's dangerous out there in real life, my friend, with one-way streets all the time. Getting lost in a great hobby is beneficial for your (non-financial) health. Please do revisit the plebs to cheer us up on your journey through life every now and then. Awesome to have shared different episodes of it the last few years and looking forward for more to come. Take care!

drftr

Mar 1, 2024 at 1:49 AM Post #82,535 of 89,501
I have and did. Wasnt the best experience for me. I think my ears are just really sensitive. I bought and still have the JH Audio Jolene, which clearly was not long for this world, whether it just didnt sell well or that JH seems to have gone back to pretty much all BA's, who knows. Either way, I ended up having to get a refit, and even after the refit, the comfort on them doesnt really last for too long. My only guesses are that my impressions maybe werent quite perfect enough even though I had to redo them like 3 times before JH audio would actually build the IEM, or, that as I said, my ears are very sensitive, and I think having a hard acrylic shell pushing up against my ear in different places, even one thats fitted to my ear, is bound to cause discomfort for me.

Its part of the reason why I continue to include the final audio e5000 on pretty much every poll here. Small, lightweight, bullet style IEMs are pretty much the only type I can consistently count on to not cause discomfort.
I hear you...anyone who says CIEMs are always the most comfortable option hasn't had to deal with the curse of sensitive ears. Even if there's no pain, inserting hard resin deep into your ears is going to feel unnatural, and takes a lot of getting used to (for me anyway).

The answer (again for me) is to keep the CIEM nozzle thinner than the ear canal, getting most of the seal from the outer ear portion, and also not making it so long that you can feel it bump up against your ear when inserted.

If you ever get a chance, check out Bellos Audio's X-series of semi-custom IEMs. They use a new idea called In-Air Canals that's basically a custom shell that, instead of a long nozzle, uses a large soft tip to seal the ear canals. Literally nothing goes in your ear canal, which you'd think is counter-intuitive for sound quality, but quite the opposite. The Bellos X4 is one of the most naturally-tuned IEMs I have, and costs less than $1000. 5-day build time too, unlike months for some customs. Might not satisfy your basshead cravings but bass is full and warm, and seal is very good (though not totally isolating).

As for IE900, yeah, you didn't get a seal. Bass is the easiest way to tell - that IEM has top 3 bass in my collection, price no object, so if you're not getting that, it's the seal. I find the secret to IE900 is to size up your usual tips. Again, counter intuitive, but this seals your ear canals better, since IE900 doesn't require a deep fit at all. Both IE900 and X4 are the most comfortable IEMs I use, by a large margin, and I have three full-size customs and as many unis.

I hope everyone is happy and healthy. :) Canjam NYC is right around the corner and I am sure all the goers are super excited. I hope you all have a wonderful time.

Over the years, I have had a great experience in the WaterCooler and made some really great friends. I have finally come to a very calm place in the hobby and I am ready to step back and enjoy the gear I have and dig into more music, especially live music. This place has helped me grow in my own understanding of my preferences and the data available here is a goldmine, as well as the community of like minded folks. I am thankful and happy to have been a part of it. Take care and much love and peace. Farewell for now. Over and out

-Jeremy
My friend, what can I say? Except that...player 236 has been...eliminated!

Jokes aside, see you in Season 2 (or 3 or 4). You know how it goes bud, leaving HF is a temporary respite. When the craving kicks in, we'll see you again for sure.

(Of course we'll still keep in touch outside HF, but these guys are going to miss you!).

Chat soon.

Mar 1, 2024 at 2:44 AM Post #82,536 of 89,501

-Jeremy
Glad you found peace. I was like this a few years back since I thought I got to the end game and sold off all the DAPs and IEMS which I thought I would never use. After about a year, the passion re-ignited again after I saw a bunch of new IEMs and the N30LE which came out. I immediately jumped back into the game and started on a rampant spending spree again buying 3 new DAPs and 2 TOTL IEMs within a few months. Again, I found happiness and ecstasy of listening to what I believe was sound from heaven, much to the dismay of my wife. Take care for now since I expect to see you back here soon:wink:

Mar 1, 2024 at 2:50 AM Post #82,537 of 89,501

-Jeremy
You had a good run again this time! Enjoy the time off and see you for the next round. :)

Mar 1, 2024 at 3:17 AM Post #82,539 of 89,501
If you ever get a chance, check out Bellos Audio's X-series of semi-custom IEMs. They use a new idea called In-Air Canals that's basically a custom shell that, instead of a long nozzle, uses a large soft tip to seal the ear canals. Literally nothing goes in your ear canal, which you'd think is counter-intuitive for sound quality, but quite the opposite. The Bellos X4 is one of the most naturally-tuned IEMs I have, and costs less than $1000. 5-day build time too, unlike months for some customs. Might not satisfy your basshead cravings but bass is full and warm, and seal is very good (though not totally isolating).

I’m quite curious about the X series from Bellos audio. Could you share a bit more about the X4? Is the stage and resolution good? Does the vent work as well as APEX?

Mar 1, 2024 at 3:24 AM Post #82,540 of 89,501
I’m quite curious about the X series from Bellos audio. Could you share a bit more about the X4? Is the stage and resolution good? Does the vent work as well as APEX?
@Deezel177 and @Wyville are probably both more familiar with it than me, since I only recently got mine. So far, yes, the built-in Atom is the same as any other Atom/Apex module. The fit is slightly looser than a normal custom, so you're unlikely to experience ear pressure anyway. Stage is very natural and resolution is excellent - just don't expect $3000+ technicals and you won't be disappointed, but I'd say it's not that far behind and the super comfy fit (and tuning) more than make up for any less-than-TOTL techs (as does the less-than-TOTL price). These are designed first and foremost as accurate stage and mixing monitors for professionals, especially vocalists and bassists, and I can hear why.

Mar 1, 2024 at 4:04 AM Post #82,541 of 89,501
I have and did. Wasnt the best experience for me. I think my ears are just really sensitive. I bought and still have the JH Audio Jolene, which clearly was not long for this world, whether it just didnt sell well or that JH seems to have gone back to pretty much all BA's, who knows. Either way, I ended up having to get a refit, and even after the refit, the comfort on them doesnt really last for too long. My only guesses are that my impressions maybe werent quite perfect enough even though I had to redo them like 3 times before JH audio would actually build the IEM, or, that as I said, my ears are very sensitive, and I think having a hard acrylic shell pushing up against my ear in different places, even one thats fitted to my ear, is bound to cause discomfort for me.

Its part of the reason why I continue to include the final audio e5000 on pretty much every poll here. Small, lightweight, bullet style IEMs are pretty much the only type I can consistently count on to not cause discomfort.

You are not alone with issues with the JH Jolene. I recall in SG a number of folks had to do refits.

If you are sensitive with deep insertion of acrylic, perhaps FitEars would suit you better. Especially the EST/DD based ones like EST, Air2, Titan, DC and DC Ti where the stem is practically non existent. If that is an option, something to ponder.

I first started my customs journey with ACS and silicone customs. I was persuaded by @Uncle Wilson and Claire at Jaben SG to give FitEar a try (this was when they first came out of Japan). I have not looked back since then. No issues despite them being acrylic. :)

That said, UM does excellent customs as well. I have the Mest2, Fusang and Mest 3 from them. Fits like a glove but you may struggle with the traditional insertion though.

In the premises, FitEar, if available to you, sounds like the safest bet. :)

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 5:38 AM Post #82,542 of 89,501

-Jeremy
Endgame island was getting lonely, welcome!

Mar 1, 2024 at 8:27 AM Post #82,543 of 89,501

Did you have to do this refit recently or a while back? Just curious since JH Audio filed for bankruptcy last December, I'm wondering how they are handling customer support.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 8:38 AM Post #82,544 of 89,501
The answer (again for me) is to keep the CIEM nozzle thinner than the ear canal, getting most of the seal from the outer ear portion, and also not making it so long that you can feel it bump up against your ear when inserted.

If you are sensitive with deep insertion of acrylic, perhaps FitEars would suit you better. Especially the EST/DD based ones like EST, Air2, Titan, DC and DC Ti where the stem is practically non existent. If that is an option, something to ponder.

I actually never had any issues with the stem or the ear canal. And the actual insertion into the ear doesn't really bother me too much.

For me, with both the Jolene and other non custom iems, it's pretty much always parts of the outer ear or the areas surrounding the canal that cause me discomfort. Seems like hard weight pressing on the ear over time for me causes pressure points, then discomfort and often that turns into mild pain. With heavier and larger iems obviously being more difficult to deal with.

Semi custom shaped iems always seem to do poorly with me even if they fit well. Too much contact with my outer ear that isn't spread out nearly enough is just bad news for me. See the Bonneville as a recent example.

I think the softer silicone of the advanced sound sleeves helps a bit. Still not a completely "invisible" experience, and I can still get the same issues over longer listening sessions. But for the singularity at least, better than wearing them normally.

Did you have to do this refit recently or a while back? Just curious since JH Audio filed for bankruptcy last December, I'm wondering how they are handling customer support.

It's been a while, nearly 3 years ago. So no idea about current customer support.

Mar 1, 2024 at 8:38 AM Post #82,545 of 89,501

Users who are viewing this thread

Back