The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 16, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #81,496 of 91,387
In the end like anything, it’s different flavors for different levels of enjoyment. We are all different flavors of people who like different levels of enjoyment. Music is exactly that.

Feb 16, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #81,497 of 91,387
Out tonight for a meal, gig and hotel stay with my wife - a bit of music time now before dinner. The Verdandi continue to captivate me!

IMG_1397.jpeg

Feb 16, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #81,499 of 91,387
Out tonight for a meal, gig and hotel stay with my wife - a bit of music time now before dinner. The Verdandi continue to captivate me!

Enjoy your evening! :)
The Verdandi keeps catching my eye, all this talk of spacious staging! I just wonder if my lugs will tolerate the lengthy nozzle :').

My set of choice tonight:
_DSC4304.jpg

My custom T4 - a beautifully tuned, vocal-centric sound. Vocals up close and personal, instrumentals sounding textured and well imaged with great tone. Nothing in this tuning is out of line to my ears, smooth from top to bottom. A way behind CP32E in terms of resolving power. Nonetheless, an emerging strength is more it being able to wind down my brain with an enveloping romanticism.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #81,500 of 91,387
In December, I shipped off my Sony 1Z for a final mod. This mod is the last step in bringing my gold brick to its fullest potential, courtesy of Steve at NP Audio. Yesterday, he sent over some pics of the completed mod which includes a 18k yellow gold replating w/ polish, Rubycon PMLCAP Film Capacitors, Kemet Tantalum Polymer at the battery terminals, custom Gold Mr Walkman UI and custom leather backplate. Suffice to say, this device is designed to last me beyond my active participation in the hobby and for many many years to come. This completes my portable DAP solution. This custom 1Z and the N30AP serves all my needs.

IMG-20240215-175928.jpg

IMG-20240215-181503.jpg

IMG-20240215-181613.jpg

Feb 16, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #81,501 of 91,387
You are a master of rhetoric. This reads like an appeasement of the shitstorm (justified or not), that recently spread across UM. It gives the AP its authority without referencing the Mason's new technology. Well done.

The problems with all the reviews/impressions I read here, I can't believe any of this until I tested it myself. It's really hard to differentiate between people, that get a 35% discount or more and people, who are spending much more to verify all those hyped products and lose a lot in sale afterwards. No offense, I think everybody has his own opinion, but as a master of sale; I also know what to tell and what not. Keep in mind this is a big business everybody, those stuff cost more than cars do...

Sometimes I wish a more direct communication, more truthful, more real. We are the audiophiles, we are spending a big part of our salaries, we are the people that like to test new things, to find something "better" or "worse", so let us be honest to each other and mark commercial posts as in television or in Google.

BTW: Where can I buy those? (😂 just kidding)
I quote myself, because if I react to somebody’s post directly, I know I will be crucified.

Let me say only one thing, I didn’t criticize your impressions directly @bigbeans, it was only the first paragraph that was a direct reaction. All of the other stuff I wrote was a general thing to the whole community. Maybe I should have split the text. And this wasn’t disrespectful or condescend, this is is just my opinion.

And if one the best reviewers in Germany react to this text with a big praise in private message, this is more worth than any other comment here. So I am not different here from you, only value the input of people I know.

BTW: Getroffene Hunde bellen! Wau Wau 🐕

✌🏻 PEACE

Feb 16, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #81,502 of 91,387
Got this compact rig yesterday... Dunu Glacier, and iBasso DC Elite. Sound is anything but 'compact'. Very impressive dynamics, and resolution. Dunu hit it out of the park with the Glacier.

I'm very curious to test drive the Glacier and compare it to my EQed Mentawai.
Your impressions will be welcome. :beerchug:

What's your take on stock cable vs Aune AR2 ?

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #81,503 of 91,387
It's the whales who decide to be milked.

If you never milk a cow its udders are not full every single day. Likewise if you enjoy being milked as a whale it's difficult to get away from the party. While if you only allow to be milked every few years you'll be just fine.

drftr
Wait I had a gif for this too
sterling-archer-warning-about-phrasing-0imh392p99qxughd.gif

Feb 16, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #81,504 of 91,387

IMG_1397.jpeg
Are you planning to bring any of the Kinera family to the meetup? We're much more than just luke warm after all your stories. We want to hear the real deal.

drftr

Feb 16, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #81,505 of 91,387
It's a misconception that only financially very wealthy people will buy an Amber Pearl or a Mason FS. There are plenty of people who been putting cash aside for many months to get it or sold a significant chunk of their collection. Many of those people expected a flagship product like Traillii or let's say the Susvara that will remain flagships for years to come. Objectivly without hearing it, AP is probably a great IEM and will remain a great IEM, but I understand the sentiment against UM FOMO strategy and monetizing on whales, pushing one "flagship" release out after another.

With all due respect, you are not in position to patronize people what to do with their money and what responsible financial decisions are.
I mean as long as someone is not naming names here it's absolutely reasonable to comment on living in a consumer capitalist society which is all about one's value as a consumer, which uses psychological tools behind multi-billion dollar advertising and marketing initiatives that use psychology.

I mean besides just reading about how society works I took multiple business classes in college. Marketing 101 is to make people feel insecure or inadequate so they keep spending money or buying or trying your products. In a consumerist society the biggest value a citizen has is how much they consume. Because on some level the system is designed to make people make poor financial decisions, I think it's a worthy subject.

So no I don't think anybody here should be personally telling anyone what their financial situation is, But as far as making a general commentary on it, I mean this is part of the World we live in and definitely part of this hobby.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #81,507 of 91,387
I did not remember VE X being this sensitive, I'm on 1 step on the DC Elite lmao.

It’s why I just sold mine. I don’t listen loudly and volume control with it isn’t ideal. There’s no reason (imo) for an IEM to be THAT sensitive. I couldn’t even use it from the PB5 also because it just hissed. That’s my only gripe with that IEM but it was enough to be a deal breaker for me in the end. Absolutely love that IEM otherwise though.

Feb 16, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #81,508 of 91,387
It’s why I just sold mine. I don’t listen loudly and volume control with it isn’t ideal. There’s no reason (imo) for an IEM to be THAT sensitive. I couldn’t even use it from the PB5 also because it just hissed. That’s my only gripe with that IEM but it was enough to be a deal breaker for me in the end. Absolutely love that IEM otherwise though.
Even with -3db from the button it's borderline for my tolerance. I'm probably going to end up using single ended for less power or find a low powered dongle to pair.

Feb 16, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #81,509 of 91,387
Even with -3db from the button it's borderline for my tolerance. I'm probably going to end up using single ended for less power or find a low powered dongle to pair.

I’m not sure why Vision Ears do it. The Phonix was incredibly sensitive too and that was also a reason I parted with mine a few years ago.

At this point I just don’t like dealing with IEMs that are too easy or too hard to drive.

Feb 16, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #81,510 of 91,387
I’m not sure why Vision Ears do it. The Phonix was incredibly sensitive too and that was also a reason I parted with mine a few years ago.

At this point I just don’t like dealing with IEMs that are too easy or too hard to drive.
So what do you have right now? Seeing that you are (surprisingly) selling your GM also:thinking:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back