The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 8, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #80,942 of 89,492
If you were to listen to DD IEMs on a desktop, what would be your pick?
I value the fact that DDs have less control very highly because it makes sound a bit more natural, wild, organic. And I value the exact same thing in tubes. And in R2R DACs for that matter. But lining up all 3 in a chain may be too much of a good thing that could bite you in the back, despite all good efforts.

I don't believe in being able to pick the right system "from paper" or from recommendations. If possible try to demo different combinations and be open to wild surprises, as in the more expensive ones sounding noticably more precise, while perhaps a cheapish outsider has great PRaT and bringing you much closer to the music.

Synergy between source, IEMs, AND your brain is all that matters. Although your wallet may want have a word with you too.

drftr

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #80,943 of 89,492
In fact, to add to my earlier point about a surge in harder-to-drive in-ears, that trend is starting to plateau, if not decline. My top 3 IEMs of last year, for example - the VE X, Fei Wan and 622B - are very easy to drive.
Yeah VEX was surprisingly easy to drive, similar sensitivity to VE8 lol.

Feb 8, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #80,944 of 89,492
I value the fact that DDs have less control very highly because it makes sound a bit more natural, wild, organic. And I value the exact same thing in tubes. And in R2R DACs for that matter. But lining up all 3 in a chain may be too much of a good thing that could bite you in the back, despite all good efforts.

I don't believe in being able to pick the right system "from paper" or from recommendations. If possible try to demo different combinations and be open to wild surprises, as in the more expensive ones sounding noticably more precise, while perhaps a cheapish outsider has great PRaT and bringing you much closer to the music.

Synergy between source, IEMs, AND your brain is all that matters. Although your wallet may have a word with you too.

drftr
Thank you. The wallet is already having a word.

Feb 8, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #80,946 of 89,492
To be honest, despite being a Basshead, I couldn't get myself to like the Maestro Mini. FATfreq told me that they have made changes to the mids with Scarlett Mini, but it was still not enough to convince me.

I have asked from seasoned forum members about Trifecta vs Grand Maestro but after considering all the parameters, I would go with the former.

Tuning switches are not my cup of tea. I seriously feel that one IEM should present one signature. I don't want to get a combo meal....

Enough ranting...I wish FATfreq well..
Neither mini has really grabbed me, but MSE certainly did. That's a bit of an unsung hero in the TOTL under $2k. Except for being a power hog, there was nothing wrong with MSE for my tastes. I haven't yet demoed a GM, but I look forward to it. I could definitely see myself ending up with one or the other. MSE is a great tuning that seems more western, bottom up, but when powered properly, the entire FR is unusually balanced. I think it might be my favorite sub $2k.

Feb 8, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #80,947 of 89,492
There's certainly use cases for all different types of devices, it just comes down to what you need/value. I have zero use currently for any transportable DAC or amp, and I've had very little success with any dongle, so for me it's either full desktop or DAP. I get superior price/performance with the former when I'm at home, and single-device simplicity with the latter while on the go, and that is all I need.

Yes, with transportable setups you can handily exceed the capabilities or portable setups for less cost so if you're situation allows(you work from a computer) highly suggest ignoring portables all together.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #80,948 of 89,492
Hugo2 is foremost an excellent DAC. It holds it's own. Improvements at this level are usually incremental.

It drives most IEM's (e.g. Trailli, MEST3) well. However, it too benefits from synergy with an amp for harder to drive IEM's.

Did you try the DCS Lina stack with the clock? It makes a perceptible improvement in soundstage and clarity. Though my memory of it is now rather distant. Value for money decidedly underwhelmed.

I had the fortune of listening to the Storm again using the Hugo2 and it does benefit from a portable amp stage. Had a fun time auditioning interconnects (yes, I can perceive a difference almost instantly) and how things would sound if you put a silly, headphone sized, money no object cable onto an IEM. Only thing I forgot till too late was to roll the tips to my preferred ones.

Hugo2 vs SP3000 a matter of preference although the latter is as Roon endpoint and streamer. The H2 is not.

Better than both for driving IEM's and no need for an amp stage is the Chord TT2. But no 4.4mm is irritating - as you'd have to buy a quality interconnect.

crappy interconnects and cables matter. I auditioned a few IC's recently without knowing anything about them having never heard or seen them before and it was night and day effects on tuning. Not entering into a cable debate. I can hear the difference and it was pretty much instant.

#edit# not sure I am allowed to post the photos or details of what I was listening to but they are TOTL cables that synergise with Storm.

I love that you guys are discussing transportable setups now, haha. I've been over here sublime with my Hugo2 + CDM for so long I've forgotten how long it's been, and I can bring it to the coffee shop with me. I just don't use it when I'm going to and from my car for example(honestly people shouldn't be walking around in such a state in public anyway, America isn't Japan), just when I'm sitting down working on something for hours on end. Been done with source gear for awhile. You can't get a CDM anymore but aren't Hugo2's like 1-1.5k now? Steal, pairing it with something like a Mass Kobo/Brise amp/ALO Continental would probably be great and you could probably score that whole setup cheaper than an N30LE, so if you're sitting an listening instead of walking around go for it. Also Hugo2, CDM, these devices aren't sending signals, bluetooth, celluar etc. EMI/RF is a thing.

I love that I can change tubes in the CDM as well, change the sound, another way to tweak without EQ. I saw what the CDM was capable of when I added Centurion though, when I remove centurion there's a veil over the sound constraining not only resolution but shrinking images. Probably had more to do with the garbage Jewel stock cable neutering the sound than CDM.

Tubes aren't going anywhere, we need more portable tube amps badly or a CDM 2.0. Remove the DAC section, put better/bigger tubes or upgrade it somehow, LFG. I will always love tubes. I'm considering having my centurion re-terminated to 3.5 so I don't have to use an adapter with CDM and Hugo2, I concur I can very clearly hear the differences with adapters and interconnects.

It's interesting that so many place such an importance on naturalness/timbre /warm sound when that's precisely what tubes do, I suspect it's because they're listening from entirely modern digital sources, from my experience many"sap the life" out of the sound with a few exceptions(DMPZ1 sounded great), maybe also that's why people like N30LE so much because it has an amalgamation of tubes-not quite real tubes but close. With a good tube amp you can take a highly technically capable IEM that may be a slightly unnatural sounding and fix that problem, case in point A18t. Did wonders for it. It also means I don't have to pass on those IEMs because I can tune them so much through the options the transportable setup allows, The 2023 Annihilator was too dry off Hugo2 by itself to my ears but with the CDM it came to life with greater dynamics but Jewel sounds great from either because it's already go that smooth analog flavor.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #80,949 of 89,492
Watercooler Europe Meetup Logo NL Transparent.png

If everyone who really really really showed interest does show up indeed, then the following countries are represented:

• Bulgaria
  • China - yep, a special honoured guest - with privileges!
  • Czechia
  • Denmark
  • England
  • France
  • Germany
  • Ireland
  • Netherlands
  • Portugal
  • Russia
  • Spain
  • Switzerland

Not bad at all for a first timer... 🥰

drftr

Feb 8, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #80,950 of 89,492
Such teasing @drftr this is going to be epic ❤️‍🔥 !
Look forward to this !!!

Feb 8, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #80,952 of 89,492
Wait until we come up with a list of what we're able to share with our friends. We'll leave CanJam in the dust 😁

drftr
Still wish I could attend a CanJam, many people outside Europe I wish I could meet in person.
Maybe next time in NY, not too far away from Paris although they dropped the Concorde :p

Feb 8, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #80,953 of 89,492
Does anyone know where to get Ear impressions done in the Nashville/Lexington/Louisville area, I went to JH before but they said they aren't doing impressions for non-customers anymore(not buying their IEMs).

Feb 8, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #80,954 of 89,492
Still wish I could attend a CanJam, many people outside Europe I wish I could meet in person.
Maybe next time in NY, not too far away from Paris although they dropped the Concorde :p
Sooner rather than later Europe will be considered the outskirts of Beijing, so there is your intercontinental event. If you can't beat them, join them.

drftr

Feb 8, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #80,955 of 89,492
What IEM do you guys recommend for someone who wants to give BC drivers a whirl? I was thinking maybe BQEYZ winter since I'm broke right now but I am open to just saving and maybe going for gold
The new Kinera is pretty solid the Plutus Beast which is pretty cheap. Or just go big and then get the Campur CP 622 which is lovely a friend let me try theirs, it's impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back