The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 2, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #80,431 of 90,438
None of these 3 are really basshead, but they have decent BA bass in my opinion:
1. Hidition Violet. Bass has amazing slam and extension keeping BA bass resolution. Top (BA) bass in the market imo.
2. Elysian Diva 2023. Interesting subbass choice that differs from the average BA bass.
3. 64audio U12t. Our old pal provides us with excellent attack and slam with minimal BA oddity. Still can't believe this was released years ago.
Symphonium Crimson has great bass quality as well, it definitely is not basshead level though.

Feb 2, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #80,432 of 90,438
I happened to be thinking about this topic just today and I came to the same conclusion. Below the TOTLs (2021-2024?) which I heard the differences are ultimately marginal for me personally, everything happens in the timbre range. No one is perfect in all areas, some are better and others worse. But these differences ultimately balance each other out. And even this talk of "resolution" or "technicalities" is, up to a certain point, not useful: after all, at some point you get used to it and it's no longer noticeable. The same actually applies to other aspects. That's why it's important for me to rotate IEMs regularly. Two are already enough. If you listen to an IEM for a long time, it eventually loses its "wow effect" until you hear it again after a while. These are partly the results of my experience so far.
It definitely takes patience to find out which IEM is the one you want to keep. I am relative new in this hobby and I had many times had this wow moments. However, I later found out that after this the initial wow moment, I am not sure I will keep listening with it. If you are after this wow effect, you will have an endless chase towards new IEMs. I am still in the process of finding what is my true taste of music and what is my ideal IEM. Given my limited collection of IEMs, I already have most of them collecting dust. For me, the meaningful collection of IEMs won't go beyond 3, unless you have huge amount of time spent on listening.

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #80,433 of 90,438

Two most excellent albums I heard while on a walk today. Incredible live perfomance by the Yussef Dayes Experience and Miho Hazama is a master composer, arranger and musician with the incredible m_unit big band (or is it an orchestra at this size already?) at her side, creating really modern and engaging but also complex albums.

Big fan of Yussef Dayes. His work with Kamaal Williams is also incredible.

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #80,434 of 90,438
However, I later found out that after this the initial wow moment, I am not sure I will keep listening with it.
This was the very reason I never pulled the trigger on Mentor and Rn6 as I thought it would bite me in the back. But being the idiot that I am, I considered Ronin to be too polite compared to those 2 and didn't have the guts to pull the trigger on it all the same! If too much wow is bad and too little is as well, then... well...

drftr

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #80,435 of 90,438
This was the very reason I never pulled the trigger on Mentor and Rn6 as I thought it would bite me in the back. But being the idiot that I am, I considered Ronin to be too polite compared to those 2 and didn't have the guts to pull the trigger on it all the same! If too much wow is bad and too little is as well, then... well...

drftr
Or you can keep rolling IEMs, buy and sell, until you find the soulmate IEM.

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #80,436 of 90,438
Or you can keep rolling IEMs, buy and sell, until you find the soulmate IEM.
That wasn't an option while travelling but it would be now. Not sure if I want to throw money at it though. I'm still extremely happy with my allrounder and I'm probably best off waiting 1 or 2 rounds. I seem to like Noble a lot and if they can come up with the right combination of Kublai Khan - Sultan - Ronin - Ragnar then that might be my best bet. And if they can add some Rn6, U18t, and Mentor flavour, and then pack it as a single DD TWS... 😎😁😎

drftr

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #80,437 of 90,438
Aaand done, all packed up for a weekend trip.

1000011915.jpg

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #80,438 of 90,438
That wasn't an option while travelling but it would be now. Not sure if I want to throw money at it though. I'm still extremely happy with my allrounder and I'm probably best off waiting 1 or 2 rounds. I seem to like Noble a lot and if they can come up with the right combination of Kublai Khan - Sultan - Ronin - Ragnar then that might be my best bet. And if they can add some Rn6, U18t, and Mentor flavour, and then pack it as a single DD TWS... 😎😁😎

drftr
I guess that TWS must have 10 switches to achieve/change your dream flavor.

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #80,439 of 90,438
Canpur CP622B from what I hear. It uses bone conduction as well though.
I really enjoyed the 622B’s but did not find them to be basshead IEMs. Plenty of capable and deep bass but not overpowering, which I enjoy. The only downfalls for me were disjointed mids and they were a bit brighter than my preference.

100% worth a listen though as I expect many to fall in love with the 622B sound.

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #80,440 of 90,438
This may sound like an oxymoron, but does anyone have an idea of what would be a basshead BA IEM set? Noble Spartacus?

I really enjoyed the 622B’s but did not find them to be basshead IEMs. Plenty of capable and deep bass but not overpowering, which I enjoy. The only downfalls for me were disjointed mids and they were a bit brighter than my preference.

100% worth a listen though as I expect many to fall in love with the 622B sound.
It's amazing how different people have different experiences. I've heard from two people it was the best and hardest bass they have heard from any IEM, regardless of drivers.

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #80,441 of 90,438
It's amazing how different people have different experiences. I've heard from two people it was the best and hardest bass they have heard from any IEM, regardless of drivers.

It’s really good bass but it doesn’t hit harder than the Storm does for BA lows, imo. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #80,442 of 90,438
It definitely takes patience to find out which IEM is the one you want to keep. I am relative new in this hobby and I had many times had this wow moments. However, I later found out that after this the initial wow moment, I am not sure I will keep listening with it. If you are after this wow effect, you will have an endless chase towards new IEMs. I am still in the process of finding what is my true taste of music and what is my ideal IEM. Given my limited collection of IEMs, I already have most of them collecting dust. For me, the meaningful collection of IEMs won't go beyond 3, unless you have huge amount of time spent on listening.
Oh yes, I know exactly what you mean. I also had to try different directions myself to find out what I like best. A headfier told me earlier that I've since converted and become basshead . I also went through a lot of those "wow" moments that lasted relatively little. After waking up, I realized that I was wrong. What I have also come to understand is that I need several days and different moods to find out if I really like an IEM.

I also agree that the perfect number for a meaningful rotation is 3, for me: bassy, allarounder, trebly - namely: trebly in the morning, allarounder in the afternoon and bassy in the evening :)

Feb 2, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #80,443 of 90,438
That's what happens when you keep seeing new IEMs coming out, so you assume there may be something better.
Unfortunately, the actual technology in IEM armatures doesn't keep getting better monthly or yearly (IMO). It mostly different signatures and soundstage levels. It will not be easy to beat already existing "TOTL" IEMs.
I was fortunate to here very many of them "TOTL"s over the course of last 2 years, so I knew right away I wasn't going to get better so I stopped with the XE6 .
In actuality the DAP would make more sense to focus on improving (at least for synergy) once you have a TOTL IEM that you feel get close enough to your preferred taste. 👍🙂
I agree that drivers improve a bit slower, like in the span of 3+ years, but latest one like in Fei Wan for example would make a significant difference to XE6 imo.

Feb 2, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #80,444 of 90,438
It’s really good bass but it doesn’t hit harder than the Storm does for BA lows, imo. 🤷🏽‍♂️
I wish it was easier to demo IEMs for most of us that can't get to conferences. HBB actually just compared the Storms to the 622B in his latest video and said the 622B bass hits harder than the Storms when the output decibels were equalized haha. Without testing them myself it's hard to know what is what. I appreciate all of the input from people that have sampled them though!

Feb 2, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #80,445 of 90,438
I wish it was easier to demo IEMs for most of us that can't get to conferences. HBB actually just compared the Storms to the 622B in his latest video and said the 622B bass hits harder than the Storms when the output decibels were equalized haha. Without testing them myself it's hard to know what is what. I appreciate all of the input from people that have sampled them though!

I have not seen the video, I am just going by what I heard when I had them together at CanJam Dallas and my own time spent with both units at home. That’s not a knock to 622b bass either, again, it’s very good. I just think Storm BA bass is still the gold standard of performance for BA lows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back