The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 2, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #80,401 of 89,506
This may sound like an oxymoron, but does anyone have an idea of what would be a basshead BA IEM set? Noble Spartacus?
I did not find the Spartacus overly bass heavy. But the real question is, why would you want a basshead BA IEM? :)

Feb 2, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #80,402 of 89,506
This may sound like an oxymoron, but does anyone have an idea of what would be a basshead BA IEM set? Noble Spartacus?
Symphonium Meteor would work really well for this. The bass on it is incredibly well done.

Feb 2, 2024 at 10:15 AM Post #80,403 of 89,506
Storm perhaps? It's the most "non-BA" sounding BA bass I've heard in an IEM.

But why limit yourself to BA options?

Feb 2, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #80,404 of 89,506
Hi Cooler gang! :)

Hope you’re all having a blast!

Today was another sweet and unexpected day in my world!

I just received my Ifi Diablo 2 unit! :ksc75smile:

IMG_4482.jpeg

Still impressed by the sound I’m getting out from this thing! For the price it’s hard to beat in the portable world I think!
Bass tightness and impact, detail retrieval and more noticeably soundstage size, separation and positioning as well as dynamics are really impressive IMHO. It’s very detailed while retaining excellent naturalness and body. It’s very powerful and definitely brings the best out of the harder to drive IEMs I have! It also sounds excellent in Bluetooth mode, which makes it one of the very best DAPs when paired with the phone. Top sound and top phone UI. The cool thing is that it doesn’t really drain phone’s battery much when paired or plugged.

I know what you’re thinking! All this Diablo 2 praise begs this very legitimate question :

To which I’ll shamelessly answer “yes I am!!” :D

Also! I have a sweet news for @drftr and all the European Coolers who are planning on joining the Euro Cooler meetup in March!!
I really wasn’t expecting that at all, but here is what I found on my doorstep this morning!! :ksc75smile:

_2020873_DxO_DxO.jpeg

_2020877_DxO_DxO.jpeg

The full range of Beat Audio cables lineup! It’s just missing the mighty Obit Saga! But the cable is the price of a car, so let’s not be too greedy hey!! :D

What happened is when I bought my Billow Mk2 cable, I was in contact with Stephane from Beat Audio. The guy is super cool and responsive so I figured I’d share with him our intension of making our first Euro Watercooler meetup. I told him I was going to leave China and asked if they would have any interested in sharing some demo units of their cables that I would send back to them from France after the meetup. I thought it would be a nice win/win situation, as they would have opportunity to showcase their products in Europe and We Coolers would have more gear to try out at the meetup! He thought it was a good idea, so he proceeded it seems!! :D
I thought he would send 1 or 2 cables, but he sent me the full lineup (except Obit Saga and Billow Mk2 which is mine) 😂

So I guess I’m gonna be the mule!! :D
The only stuff is that I already have so much crap to bring back in my luggage that I don’t know how I’m going to bring everything, but I’ll figure it out!! That’s real Cooler dedication right there!! :darthsmile:
I just hope I won’t get into trouble at the border , but that should be fine I think.

Here are quick shots of all the cables from cheapest to most expensive (from left to right and top row to bottom) :

_2020879_DxO_DxO.jpeg

In order : Silver Sonic MkVII, Supernova MkII+, Vermillion MkIII, Signal MkII, Hadal MkII, Emerald MkII, Cyclone, Oslo MkIV, Prima Donna MkII, Billow MkII.

Here is a pic I took to get an idea of the different thickness of each cable. Also, they sent me all the 8 wires versions but they all exist in 4 wires as well :
_2020920_DxO_Nik_DxO.jpeg

the bad news is that I’m gonna have to do the burn in for all the cables for about 200 hours each… :D I’m not sure if I’ll have time to do them all before the meetup, so I’ll start by all the most expensive ones and trickle down to the cheaper ones.

Also, I want to make it clear that I have nothing to do with Beat Audio whatsoever and I just happened to try my luck to get more stuff for our first meetup!! But I’m sure you guys know that.
Maybe I should try to ask some other lesser known IEMs brands, see if they would be interested in doing the same thing! I’m pretty sure many would be interested in doing so! I just don’t think I can bring more stuff this time though… I’m just too packed!! :D
But that’s good to know for the future! And if we could get some Euro Cooler gear tour like @Rockwell75 managed to do in North America that would be epic! :)

Anyways, I just wanted to share the news! :)

Looking forward to the meetup and seeing some of you in the flesh!

Cheers, 🍻

Julien

Edit : I almost forgot! Huge thanks to Stephan from Beat Audio for untrusting and sharing all this cool gear with us! That’s really awesome!! 😎

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #80,409 of 89,506
Hi Cooler gang! :)

Hope you’re all having a blast!

Today was another sweet and unexpected day in my world!

I just received my Ifi Diablo 2 unit! :ksc75smile:

IMG_4482.jpeg

Still impressed by the sound I’m getting out from this thing! For the price it’s hard to beat in the portable world I think!
Bass tightness and impact, detail retrieval and more noticeably soundstage size, separation and positioning as well as dynamics are really impressive IMHO. It’s very detailed while retaining excellent naturalness and body. It’s very powerful and definitely brings the best out of the harder to drive IEMs I have! It also sounds excellent in Bluetooth mode, which makes it one of the very best DAPs when paired with the phone. Top sound and top phone UI. The cool thing is that it doesn’t really drain phone’s battery much when paired or plugged.

I know what you’re thinking! All this Diablo 2 praise begs this very legitimate question :

To which I’ll shamelessly answer “yes I am!!” :D

Also! I have a sweet news for @drftr and all the European Coolers who are planning on joining the Euro Cooler meetup in March!!
I really wasn’t expecting that at all, but here is what I found on my doorstep this morning!! :ksc75smile:

_2020873_DxO_DxO.jpeg
_2020877_DxO_DxO.jpeg

The full range of Beat Audio cables lineup! It’s just missing the mighty Obit Saga! But the cable is the price of a car, so let’s not be too greedy hey!! :D

What happened is when I bought my Billow Mk2 cable, I was in contact with Stephane from Beat Audio. The guy is super cool and responsive so I figured I’d share with him our intension of making our first Euro Watercooler meetup. I told him I was going to leave China and asked if they would have any interested in sharing some demo units of their cables that I would send back to them from France after the meetup. I thought it would be a nice win/win situation, as they would have opportunity to showcase their products in Europe and We Coolers would have more gear to try out at the meetup! He thought it was a good idea, so he proceeded it seems!! :D
I thought he would send 1 or 2 cables, but he sent me the full lineup (except Obit Saga and Billow Mk2 which is mine) 😂

So I guess I’m gonna be the mule!! :D
The only stuff is that I already have so much crap to bring back in my luggage that I don’t know how I’m going to bring everything, but I’ll figure it out!! That’s real Cooler dedication right there!! :darthsmile:
I just hope I won’t get into trouble at the border , but that should be fine I think.

Here are quick shots of all the cables from cheapest to most expensive (from left to right and top row to bottom) :

_2020879_DxO_DxO.jpeg
In order : Silver Sonic MkVII, Supernova MkII+, Vermillion MkIII, Signal MkII, Hadal MkII, Emerald MkII, Cyclone, Oslo MkIV, Prima Donna MkII, Billow MkII.

Here is a pic I took to get an idea of the different thickness of each cable. Also, they sent me all the 8 wires versions but they all exist in 4 wires as well :
_2020920_DxO_Nik_DxO.jpeg

the bad news is that I’m gonna have to do the burn in for all the cables for about 200 hours each… :D I’m not sure if I’ll have time to do them all before the meetup, so I’ll start by all the most expensive ones and trickle down to the cheaper ones.

Also, I want to make it clear that I have nothing to do with Beat Audio whatsoever and I just happened to try my luck to get more stuff for our first meetup!! But I’m sure you guys know that.
Maybe I should try to ask some other lesser known IEMs brands, see if they would be interested in doing the same thing! I’m pretty sure many would be interested in doing so! I just don’t think I can bring more stuff this time though… I’m just too packed!! :D
But that’s good to know for the future! And if we could get some Euro Cooler gear tour like @Rockwell75 managed to do in North America that would be epic! :)

Anyways, I just wanted to share the news! :)

Looking forward to the meetup and seeing some of you in the flesh!

Cheers, 🍻

Julien

Edit : I almost forgot! Huge thanks to Stephan from Beat Audio for untrusting and sharing all this cool gear with us! That’s really awesome!! 😎

WHOA!!! That is so super cool of you!

This weekend we'll pick the date and then I will try some manufacturers and dealers if they're interested in sending out some stuff. Not necessary, but absolutely welcome.

drftr

Feb 2, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #80,411 of 89,506
None of these 3 are really basshead, but they have decent BA bass in my opinion:
1. Hidition Violet. Bass has amazing slam and extension keeping BA bass resolution. Top (BA) bass in the market imo.
2. Elysian Diva 2023. Interesting subbass choice that differs from the average BA bass.
3. 64audio U12t. Our old pal provides us with excellent attack and slam with minimal BA oddity. Still can't believe this was released years ago.

Feb 2, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #80,412 of 89,506
That's what happens when you keep seeing new IEMs coming out, so you assume there may be something better.
Unfortunately, the actual technology in IEM armatures doesn't keep getting better monthly or yearly (IMO). It mostly different signatures and soundstage levels. It will not be easy to beat already existing "TOTL" IEMs.
I was fortunate to here very many of them "TOTL"s over the course of last 2 years, so I knew right away I wasn't going to get better so I stopped with the XE6 .
In actuality the DAP would make more sense to focus on improving (at least for synergy) once you have a TOTL IEM that you feel get close enough to your preferred taste. 👍🙂
I happened to be thinking about this topic just today and I came to the same conclusion. Below the TOTLs (2021-2024?) which I heard the differences are ultimately marginal for me personally, everything happens in the timbre range. No one is perfect in all areas, some are better and others worse. But these differences ultimately balance each other out. And even this talk of "resolution" or "technicalities" is, up to a certain point, not useful: after all, at some point you get used to it and it's no longer noticeable. The same actually applies to other aspects. That's why it's important for me to rotate IEMs regularly. Two are already enough. If you listen to an IEM for a long time, it eventually loses its "wow effect" until you hear it again after a while. These are partly the results of my experience so far.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #80,415 of 89,506
I consider that an underestimated feature that allows you to focus on the music instead.

drftr
True. Adding to this, sometimes I actually get impressed from switching to another very capable set. For example, there are sets that impress me by sounding musical, balanced, and well-extended with deep and ample bass. When I am already impressed, then notice specific frequencies and details on certain tracks that my other IEM does better, I find myself amazed without needing to put back on my other set. And for some tracks, they can lose musicality without a particular IEM and become immediately noticeable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back