The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 27, 2024 at 2:34 AM Post #79,771 of 90,390
Sorry mate, it's my lame attempt to have a go at you for discovering amazing "new" stuff a few months after the rest of us :)

Ah I see - I’ll try keep up so.

Jan 27, 2024 at 2:36 AM Post #79,772 of 90,390
I'm watching the video of Bad Guy Good Audio Reviews right now, and it's such a sh!tshow UM is doing, what the heck?
Still loving my Canpur by the way...
Canpur is currently the best. I think it is a very good iem.
Just watched the show and only have one question
How is the Storm production ramp-up?
Agreed, if I am going to pay that much I would rather have a storm than a UM.
He's a shameless opportunist and professional shill. HBB posturing himself as a bastion of straight shooting, truth and intengrity while calling out IEM manufacturers for shady behavior is the height of irony.
What happened? Not that familiar with the person. Only saw the video posted regarding the UM and the 8500 flagship.

Jan 27, 2024 at 2:48 AM Post #79,773 of 90,390
He's a shameless opportunist and professional shill. HBB posturing himself as a bastion of straight shooting, truth and intengrity while calling out IEM manufacturers for shady behavior is the height of irony.
From my position he publicly exposed what's behind the curtain and refused to bend to UM requests for a positive review.
He could have done it and nobody would have known yet...

As much as I understand many of the sentiments being expressed I will say for the sake of those who are reconciled to the brand that AP and Mason are distinct product lines and that if this new IEM is as much of a leap from the OG Mason as the AP was from the Mentor then it will likely make many folks very happy.

Nobody expect you to says something against any brand ever, you're the storyteller, the enabler.
As much weight and influence the watercooler has, it is the last place where you ask real questions, even more greedy pricing
and the main goal is to avoid friction with brands.

Campfire release price hikes or dubious limited edition as much as others oddities, some get scoffed or ignored here or put in line.
Those subjects you will always ignore them when raised. He did not.

Jan 27, 2024 at 2:54 AM Post #79,774 of 90,390
Sorry mate, it's my lame attempt to have a go at you for discovering amazing "new" stuff a few months after the rest of us :)
It is not necessarily about when someone discovered it, but when someone shared it to other Watercoolers to enjoy. And in that regard, @Scuba Devils is far ahead of anyone else on here.

I dodged that bullet bc I refuse to buy anything that doesn't have a DD low end, simple. No BA no matter how well implemented can compete. I've heard monitors that supposedly do and they dont.

There is one good thing one can say about the UM situation, they are burning their own and the we will be blessed for it. Looking forward to picking up "outdated" UM products for -50% in the classifieds in a year or two. Eventually they will run out of technologies to invent and stagnate, can't keep innovating forever, you hit walls of whats possible until someone else finds a solution and you cant find all the solutions yourself. But TBH I haven't found a UM IEM worth buying yet that ticks all my boxes, Mentor was very nice, huge images, solid midrange but characteristic BA bass, same for AP, no DD, not even considering it. Even the best BA is just an attempt at a DD, just put a freaking DD.

The Hugo2 was the best thing I've ever bought in the Audiophile world(currently ~1.3k in classifieds), still relevant, still slaying top DAPs with regard to technicality and it's been out for years. Can be had for $1k. We always assume that newer is better and often it is but it's also the case in the audio world that some products stand the test of time, for example Trailli. I personally hated the sound of Trailli but it could just be my ears, it's clearly a solid product because all these years later people love it still.

I think it helps in situations like this to consider what other audio products could I get for that price range? When you look at what you could get for 8.5k outside of IEM's(HP's, DAC's, Tube amps, etc) it's pretty laughable. So don't feel left out by these prices, you're better off for not playing their game.

I haven't heard the new VEX but everything VE puts out is tippy top shelf with regard to sound quality and I seriously doubt this new UM product is nearly 3x better.

Let someone else pay for retail, why I don't buy new cars, ever.

I've smoked $100 cigars. The best cigar I've ever smoked is the humble unassuming Oliva Master Blends 3, it's $5.
Well put. Agree to a tee with your mentality. Everyone should stop trusting the numbers. Experience for yourself, understand. Prices are at best only a rough indicator of quality.

WaterCooler is the place that actively enable those behaviors, not were you call them out.
Watercooler gets a whole lot of recognition, so it Absolutely IS the place where people should speak up, either good or bad.

Currently enjoying the Penon Quattro with Liquid Links Aune 2 cable, power and DAC by W4 L&P and my Mac Mini.
This is my break in system, but 5 minutes of listening quickly turns into an hour.
Stop immediately. How dare you! We're in the middle of another IEM drama and you have the audacity to .. Enjoy yourself?!

Jan 27, 2024 at 2:58 AM Post #79,775 of 90,390
Thanks for these words.

I had to delete a post of Kinera Verdandi from his Facebook group because he commented on that post that I was spamming and he posted a screenshot of watercoolers post that I had made. I had posted about Verdandi on 2 Facebook Groups and 2 Headfi threads - this and discovery thread. May be, I was over excited and why shouldn’t I be, I bought the iems with my own money and I loved it and posted. Don’t see a big deal.

Later, figured out, Kinera does not send him free stuff and he is pissed. He could have dmed me saying to remove the post, if at al it bothered him. He wrote stupid things in the comment as if I were unnecessarily promoting something which I got for free. He is too stupid and arrogant to even give a slightest flying f*.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 3:06 AM Post #79,776 of 90,390
From my position he publicly exposed what's behind the curtain and refused to bend to UM requests for a positive review.
He could have done it and nobody would have known yet...

Nobody expect you to says something against any brand ever, you're the storyteller, the enabler.
As much weight and influence the watercooler has, it is the last place where you ask real questions, even more greedy pricing
and the main goal is to avoid friction with brands.

Campfire release price hikes or dubious limited edition as much as others oddities, some get scoffed or ignored here or put in line.
Those subjects you will always ignore them when raised. He did not.
He's also a racist, thief of demo units, and his 'bad boy' grandstanding is pretty laughable.

Jan 27, 2024 at 3:26 AM Post #79,777 of 90,390
Look, there’s always going to be a company that has a claim to fame by charging very high, if not exorbitant prices for its wares. For watches it’s Richard Mille, for cars it’s between Ferrari and Rolls Royce and for IEMs well, it’s UM.
The only similarity here is exorbitant pricing. Unlike Richard Mille and Ferrari, UM offers nothing special for the premium compared to other products that cost significantly less. Of course that's just my opinion, so 🤷🏻

Jan 27, 2024 at 3:32 AM Post #79,778 of 90,390
The only similarity here is exorbitant pricing. Unlike Richard Mille and Ferrari, UM offers nothing special for the premium compared to other products that cost significantly less. Of course that's just my opinion, so 🤷🏻
UM actually offers something: inadequate QC. Take a look at all the complaints here in the forum about the poor workmanship and the loose pin sockets of their midfis and totls.

Nevertheless, it would be unfair to deny UM the credit for being quite innovative and a market leader. Apart from the pricing and market policy (and the poor QC), I personally think that UM is where it is for good reasons: at the very top of the line. This will not change and I am sure that the new Mason FS will set new standards, for example a bit like Mentor and Amber Pearl before.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 3:35 AM Post #79,779 of 90,390
It is not necessarily about when someone discovered it, but when someone shared it to other Watercoolers to enjoy. And in that regard, @Scuba Devils is far ahead of anyone else on here.

Well put. Agree to a tee with your mentality. Everyone should stop trusting the numbers. Experience for yourself, understand. Prices are at best only a rough indicator of quality.

Watercooler gets a whole lot of recognition, so it Absolutely IS the place where people should speak up, either good or bad.

Stop immediately. How dare you! We're in the middle of another IEM drama and you have the audacity to .. Enjoy yourself?!

I love to discover and share music, new or old - in some great groups on Facebook where I find music from at times independent or obscure labels / artists, and indeed more well known too but huge nationality diversity here, some music will be less known in some countries and it genuinely pleases me when people from various corners of the world find music they enjoy - its like an emotional connection by music! Same at home with family and friends, a wonderful connection to have with people - my 19 year old daughter just reminded me recently of when I first played ‘Chicago’ by Sufjan Stevens when she was about 7 - she still describes it as a very special moment and a huge fan of Sufjan ever since…

Jan 27, 2024 at 3:35 AM Post #79,780 of 90,390
the
wait, UM came out with an 8K pair of IEM? I mean that's just funny to me really. Does that thing clean the house and pay my bills too? I mean the audacity is insane and I think we should be able to call it out. It's insulting and I just lost a lot of respect for that brand. I mean I know other brands also push the limits, but I mean jesus h christ, this too ridiculous.

ok sorry to pepper with more comparison questions but I'm getting real close. This is a shot in the dark, anyone with the recently acquired VE10 happen to have a Volur to compare to? Or this is probably more common, someone who has the Volur and the RN6 have any thoughts?
Why? If nobody likes it and nobody wants it, then they will stop right? The reason they keep doing it is because people are buying it because they have the money and they want it.

It's fine for you to not want it or to not buy it. But, to be insulted about it just smacks of envy. One of the 7 deadly sins.

Jan 27, 2024 at 3:40 AM Post #79,781 of 90,390
Listened to some of my favourite composers tonight with @tgx78 performed by Assante Vc Masterworks:

Tchaikovsky’s Symphony No. 4 & Liszt’s Piano Concerto No. 2

Messenger_creation_ee7a4664-585e-4aa5-abc3-5dc2bdb471e0.jpeg

Spellbinding to say the least. The way the orchestra members moved their instruments in unison was hypnotic.

IMG_20240126_231347_894.jpg

Highlights and observations:​

• The insane macro dynamic contrasts with live instruments. For comparison during quiet moments it was as if my volume was at 5 then it would shoot up to 70. Even during those quiet sections I can make out the nuances and the note weight.
  • The grand presentation. Huge stage height and depth where I was surrounded by the music. Good recommendation from Jim for our sitting arrangement (balcony left side) where we were able to see the performers fingers move. A highlight was Macedonian pianist Simon Trpceski bursting with animation and emotion during the Liszt section.
  • Tonality and timbre: Instruments individual voicings were more distinct. Looking at strings, the cellos resonance being longer than violins, the low end reach of double bass. In general across the board compared to what I am used to there seemed to be a lot less bass quantity I could "feel" and less upper mids with more a fuller sound.
  • The atmosphere and connection between the audience members and performers was palpable and contagious.
20240126_210047.jpg

Excited to attend more!

Attachments

• IMG_20240126_231347_894.jpg
    IMG_20240126_231347_894.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 4:42 AM Post #79,782 of 90,390
I love to discover and share music, new or old - in some great groups on Facebook where I find music from at times independent or obscure labels / artists, and indeed more well known too but huge nationality diversity here, some music will be less known in some countries and it genuinely pleases me when people from various corners of the world find music they enjoy - its like an emotional connection by music! Same at home with family and friends, a wonderful connection to have with people - my 19 year old daughter just reminded me recently of when I first played ‘Chicago’ by Sufjan Stevens when she was about 7 - she still describes it as a very special moment and a huge fan of Sufjan ever since…

Fantastic story!

Although the cover never looks quite right to me without Superman on it.
Sufjan_Illinois.jpg

This is the CD my mum sent me not long after it was released.

As a native of Chicagoland, this music is very near and dear to me and my family back home.

Jan 27, 2024 at 5:03 AM Post #79,783 of 90,390

Stevens makes bone-chilling music in the warmest, most intimate, most human way. I listened to Carrie and Lowell a lot when I was feeling my loneliest studying abroad. I’ll never forget that record.

Jan 27, 2024 at 5:29 AM Post #79,784 of 90,390
Listened to some of my favourite composers tonight with @tgx78 performed by Assante Vc Masterworks:

Tchaikovsky’s Symphony No. 4 & Liszt’s Piano Concerto No. 2

Spellbinding to say the least. The way the orchestra members moved their instruments in unison was hypnotic.

Highlights and observations:​

• The insane macro dynamic contrasts with live instruments. For comparison during quiet moments it was as if my volume was at 5 then it would shoot up to 70. Even during those quiet sections I can make out the nuances and the note weight.
  • The grand presentation. Huge stage height and depth where I was surrounded by the music. Good recommendation from Jim for our sitting arrangement (balcony left side) where we were able to see the performers fingers move. A highlight was Macedonian pianist Simon Trpceski bursting with animation and emotion during the Liszt section.
  • Tonality and timbre: Instruments individual voicings were more distinct. Looking at strings, the cellos resonance being longer than violins, the low end reach of double bass. In general across the board compared to what I am used to there seemed to be a lot less bass quantity I could "feel" and less upper mids with more a fuller sound.
  • The atmosphere and connection between the audience members and performers was palpable and contagious.

Excited to attend more!
Wait, tgx78 performed in the orchestra??

Edit: nevermind, need to improve my reading comprehension

Jan 27, 2024 at 5:40 AM Post #79,785 of 90,390
Even the best BA is just an attempt at a DD, just put a freaking DD.
Or is it?

The fact that you and I prefer DD bass doesn't necessarily mean everybody has the same goals or even find DD bass any good at all.

If we all aim for the exact same goal life would become too boring to live.

drftr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back