The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 26, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #68,536 of 91,342
What, for you, is the single most important aspect of reproduced sound?
Had to think about this. It is engagement but that is vague. What is it that engages me in reproduced sound? I think what draws me in currently (at this stage of my audiophile journey) is the snap of reproduced sound, i.e. good speed and transient response. To me it is what makes me "feel" the music as if it were tactile. Without this aspect, I may lose interest pretty quickly.

Oct 26, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #68,537 of 91,342
I don’t know about those images. But for me, the ERLK LE is much better looking than the OG. I especially like their look with the Dragon Skin faceplates. Here are some pics:
1698338970895.jpeg
1698338992039.jpeg
1698339012324.jpeg

Hi @Frankie D

I own and have always preferred the LE version of the Erlkönig over the OG version. I very much like the Bronze coloured faceplates of the LE which you have placed beside Dragon Skin faceplates. Erlkönig is really enjoyable and easy to listen to although highly resolving.
Still a great iem.

Oct 26, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #68,538 of 91,342
Yeah, I can imagine. Be positive! My intention was to give you some comfort, however minor, to maybe help reduce any apprehensions you have. What are you suffering from exactly if I may ask?
Thank you, your words did bring comfort. I started having intense tinnitus in my left ear a few months ago. In the past this usually goes away but this time it’s been non stop and at times usually at night it’s so intense I can’t really hear anything else :frowning2: I had to wait 1.5 months to get into my audiologist for a hearing test which indicated I have high frequency hearing loss in my left ear. They do not know why it’s ringing and offered zero help/solution except to get a MRI to see if there is a tumor somewhere…
I told them the ringing is worse when I isolate my ear, so that is why they suggested I take a break with iems even though they are unsure if it’s even causing an issue. I tend to listen at lower volumes and so the ringing is intensely loud unless I crank up the music and then I worry about my hearing loss. Conundrum to say the least.
CFA Trifecta HK edition "Golden Sunset", with the Fusion 1 cable
This combo is so aesthetically pleasing. Jeff put this cable on tour and I can’t wait to try the combo. If I don’t have to give up iems I’ll certainly be wanting this cable if nothing else for the looks. How does it pair for your sonically?
Another tip for the MRI examination. You should keep your eyes closed. Maybe you can ask for a sedative before the exam, or maybe they can offer you something to take. It'll be fine.
Thank you for the tip! I will
Do that!

Oct 26, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #68,539 of 91,342
The claustrophobia is intolerable. Rest is not a big deal. But he will meditate and it will be smooth sailing.

I would also like to thank you for your kind words, @jwilliamhurst

Another tip for the MRI examination. You should keep your eyes closed. Maybe you can ask for a sedative before the exam, or maybe they can offer you something to take. It'll be fine.
My girlfriend has the worst time with the claustrophobia, so she found an "open" MRI and took a Xanax for good measure.

For me, none of these issues, I just put in ear plugs, and close my eyes and it's over. It's when they gotta put contrast in that makes things a bit less comfortable.

Wonder if you could bring TWS instead of earplugs...

Oct 26, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #68,540 of 91,342
Delivery time! Packaging as of right now isn’t ready so I’ll receive that from Aroma or MT early November. But the important bits are here. 😍😎

This plaid leather case makes me feel I need to stick needles and yarn in it. 😒

IMG_7150.jpeg
IMG_7152.jpeg

My eletech baroque tips will arrive today too.

Oct 26, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #68,541 of 91,342
Delivery time! Packaging as of right now isn’t ready so I’ll receive that from Aroma or MT early November. But the important bits are here. 😍😎

IMG_7150.jpeg
IMG_7152.jpeg

Woot!! Enjoy!! 🤩

Oct 26, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #68,542 of 91,342
My simplistic comparison of Empy and Elite is like FiR XE6 (Empy) and RN6 (Elite) in their focus. Here's what I shared in the Empy thread:
Thank you for the comparison and now I'm more confused which one should I pick 😂
While I like deep and punchy bass and the relaxed and fatigue free experience of Empy, I do love the big sound, expansive soundstage and separation of Elite. But you said that you can shift Empy's tonality and detail retrieval closer to Elite's by changing the earpads so I guess Empy would be a safer choice? Or did I miss something?
I don’t know about those images. But for me, the ERLK LE is much better looking than the OG. I especially like their look with the Dragon Skin faceplates. Here are some pics:
1698338970895.jpeg
1698338992039.jpeg
1698339012324.jpeg
You definitely took a great care to your collection. Yeah Erlky LE is beautiful too 👌
Haha ja ja, thank you and they're definitely less bloomy compared to IEMs and definitely why I've gelled with the Meze duo so much. :dt880smile:
So Empy + N30LE in tube mode and classic setting are not overly warm? Or maybe I'll have to try it myself later when it arrives. I read several review about Empy and some people said Empy need EQ to sounds good, but I guess it's a matter of preference 😁

Oct 26, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #68,543 of 91,342
Thanks for your suggestion. My friend are offering me to try his Empy and Verite Closed so I'll take the opportunity I guess 😉
Unfortunately, you also need to invest in a good tube amp or some special solid state amp to drive VC. I heard VC and VO from SS amp that drives Caldera wonderfully only to find them really shines when I unplugged them and plugged in a tube amp.

Oct 26, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #68,544 of 91,342
Thank you, your words did bring comfort. I started having intense tinnitus in my left ear a few months ago. In the past this usually goes away but this time it’s been non stop and at times usually at night it’s so intense I can’t really hear anything else :frowning2: I had to wait 1.5 months to get into my audiologist for a hearing test which indicated I have high frequency hearing loss in my left ear. They do not know why it’s ringing and offered zero help/solution except to get a MRI to see if there is a tumor somewhere…
I told them the ringing is worse when I isolate my ear, so that is why they suggested I take a break with iems even though they are unsure if it’s even causing an issue. I tend to listen at lower volumes and so the ringing is intensely loud unless I crank up the music and then I worry about my hearing loss. Conundrum to say the least.

Keep us posted! Fingers crossed! 🤞

Oct 26, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #68,545 of 91,342
There's nothing to dread about an MRI, don't worry at all! It just makes loud noises and you gotta lie still for a bit, nothing else. It's very simple. :relaxed:
The only time an MRI sucked for me was when I didn't get any headphones and was stuck with my thoughts with R2D2 sounds as entartainent :triportsad: I couldn't even tell how much time has passed! No adult should be left alone for 1,5 hours with little to no sensory input, I rethought my entire life during that time, which happily didn't happen again. I was so happy to get those poor man's CRBN's the next time I was scanned, that random shopping mall music made time fly.

Oct 26, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #68,546 of 91,342

This combo is so aesthetically pleasing. Jeff put this cable on tour and I can’t wait to try the combo. If I don’t have to give up iems I’ll certainly be wanting this cable if nothing else for the looks. How does it pair for your sonically?

Thank you for the tip! I will
Do that!
I too have high frequency hearing loss in my left ear. It's a function of age but also all the concerts I went to as a kid and preferred to be as close to the PA as possible. I also blew a tube on a power supply to a headphone amp about 10 years go and it blasted my left ear with one of the loudest sounds I think I've ever heard. But only now in my 50's did I start to experience tinnitus, which led me to the audiologist. They told me that tinnitus is like a phantom noise - like the brain trying to compensate for the lost high frequency noise by playing it all the time. Mine comes and goes in intensity - very food dependent. Salt is the biggest culprit. Maybe some of this helps. Hang in there. You will know soon and knowledge is power!

Oct 26, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #68,548 of 91,342

IMG_7150.jpeg
IMG_7152.jpeg

Yeah, it reminds me of my grandma's vintage powder case 😂
Unfortunately, you also need to invest in a good tube amp or some special solid state amp to drive VC. I heard VC and VO from SS amp that drives Caldera wonderfully only to find them really shines when I unplugged them and plugged in a tube amp.
Thanks for the info, I guess Meze's headphone will win the battle then 🤭

Oct 26, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #68,549 of 91,342
Oct 26, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #68,550 of 91,342
The only time an MRI sucked for me was when I didn't get any headphones and was stuck with my thoughts with R2D2 sounds as entartainent :triportsad: I couldn't even tell how much time has passed! No adult should be left alone for 1,5 hours with little to no sensory input, I rethought my entire life during that time, which happily didn't happen again. I was so happy to get those poor man's CRBN's the next time I was scanned, that random shopping mall music made time fly.
Dang, I can't imagine doing MRI without something to cover your ears. Must be stressful for you 😰
If only they let us control the volume of the music or at least ask us is it loud enough to mask the sound of the machine 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back