The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 26, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #68,506 of 91,342
I remember @piotrus-g, back when Custom Art reshelled 3rd-party IEMs, finding different components in 3 UM Miracles. I believe a couple of them even had different drivers and measurements.
Actually I was always very careful to never name the company, and no it was not UM Miracles, it was a different company, quite popular at the time.

Oct 26, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #68,507 of 91,342
Actually I was always very careful to never name the company, and no it was not UM Miracles, it was a different company, quite popular at the time.
Oh, okay. My bad. ‘Might be misremembering. I don’t have the effort to go through your entire FB history to doublecheck. :p

Oct 26, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #68,508 of 91,342
best wishes for you and your loved ones 😇
I hope there's nothing serious and everything will get better soon 🙏

I just did an MRI too a week ago for my knee pain problem and it turns out that my ACL ligament and meniscus are torn so I'll have to do some mini surgery next week 🤪
Thank you 🙏🏼. I’m dreading the MRI. I’m sorry to hear about your knee. Sendin you good vibes for a quick and full recovery!
What pads are included with your Empyrean?
Mine was an older one that had the OG leather & alcantara pads, but the newer angled alcantara are definitely an improvement as they get the drivers closer to your ears and "open up" the top end. This gets the Empyrean just a little closer to the Elite, esp as far as technicalities and detail retrieval.
The standard leather and Alcantara. I did order the angled Alcantara tho!
Good luck with the ear! I trust it will all work out.

Congrats on the Empyrean, and such a beautiful one too. I see you have made a conscious choice for the Empyrean over the Elite and I think you won't be disappointed. Indeed the Elite is a step up in terms of technical performance, but the warm and easy listening experience of the Empyrean is very nice, which is why I still have both in the collection. I am looking forward to your reflections on both the 109 Pro and the Empyrean.
Thanks so much Mat.

I’m very excited for the Empy! You are correct it was a conscious decision to choose the Empy over the Elite as the Empy reviews really hit home for me and overall they are consistent in the fact that it’s a warm and easy listen. :)
OG leather and alcantara are included with Empy Phoenix and from our PMs, he also ordered a set of angled. 👍🏼
Thanks for the assist my friend 👊
Awesome set that Phoenix! In terms of looks, probably a close tie with the Meze Elite Chameleon limited edition :)
Oh WOW!! That is so Beautiful! Didn’t know it existed. Much better than the Epoque version.
Love all of the Empyrean talk here! I've owned a few sets of planars so far in my brief headphone journey (HE400i, LCD-2 and now Empyrean) and they're easily my favorite from both a tonality standpoint and comfort/build perspective. Also nice that they sound great with pretty much any source, including DAPs. Looking forward to your thoughts on them @jwilliamhurst ! Killer design on the set you snagged. You'll be in good sonic company while you take a break from IEMs with the ear on the mend :pray:
Great to hear this from another Empy lover! I’ll def be sharing my impressions here with you all. 🤙🏼

Oct 26, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #68,509 of 91,342
Whew! What a day at the Cooler! 🥵

In other news, my Meze Audio 109 pro’s arrived a few days ago and has made me wonder what in the hell took me so long to go down this route…I guess I never suspected a headphone could be so comfortable as the Meze 109 Pro. Comfort aside, the sound is what really draws me in. It’s certainly different than an iem and I like that. I won’t go into much here as I need more listening time. However long story short is that I’ve been having some
Serious issues with my left ear and we don’t know what is wrong yet…pending a MRI….so my doctor suggest I take some time off of iems and limit my time with them to under 1 hour a day which isn’t much as a music lover. So with that being said, I’m going further down the over ear rabbit hole. I just put a down payment on a Meze Empyrean Phoenix limited edition that Bloom had 1 left of! They are simply beautiful in my eyes!

Should have these in a few weeks time.

I also ordered the new Eletech Baroque Tips for when I do get to use my iems. Praying I don’t have to altogether give iems up….🙏🏼

Hope it's nothing serious! All the best! 🤞💪

Oct 26, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #68,510 of 91,342
Most beautiful is the Final x Dita SHICHIKU.KANGEN

IMG_0125.jpeg

EE Odin/Odyssey ( Both use similar treatment)

And custom wise there’s no discussion, Jerry Harvey Audio and Noble have been putting out some of the most interesting customs for years now. Take a look at their instagram pages.

Oct 26, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #68,511 of 91,342
Thank you 🙏🏼. I’m dreading the MRI. I’m sorry to hear about your knee. Sendin you good vibes for a quick and full recovery!
Thanks for the kind words 🙏
I don't mind doing MRI as long as I don't need to put my head again inside those terrifying machine 😱
Thanks so much Mat.

I’m very excited for the Empy! You are correct it was a conscious decision to choose the Empy over the Elite as the Empy reviews really hit home for me and overall they are consistent in the fact that it’s a warm and easy listen. :)
I can't wait to try my friend Empy but I want to know how does it compare to the Elite? Is it slightly less warmer than Empy or the difference is night and day?
Oh WOW!! That is so Beautiful! Didn’t know it existed. Much better than the Epoque version.
I look at their website and yeah that Epoque version are nowhere near that Chameleon version and that Phoenix Empy. Now my greatest concern when I decide to purchase Meze's product is why there are so many good limited edition headphone 😭
And the price difference between the regular and limited edition is no joke too at $1k 😵‍💫

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #68,512 of 91,342
There's nothing to dread about an MRI, don't worry at all! It just makes loud noises and you gotta lie still for a bit, nothing else. It's very simple. :relaxed:

Oct 26, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #68,514 of 91,342
UM Miracle? Man that’s more than a decade ago! I haven’t realized that I’ve spent so much time here.
Those and the JH13’s were the custom TOTLs when I first got into the hobby. ‘Much simpler times. 😊

Oct 26, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #68,515 of 91,342
Hope it's nothing serious! All the best! 🤞💪
Appreciate you!! ✌🏼🙏🏼
There's nothing to dread about an MRI, don't worry at all! It just makes loud noises and you gotta lie still for a bit, nothing else. It's very simple. :relaxed:
I’ve had one before however it still gives me anxiety as the results are what I fear. I have white coat syndrome and hate doctors offices and hospitals especially!!
I can't wait to try my friend Empy but I want to know how does it compare to the Elite? Is it slightly less warmer than Empy or the difference is night and day?
I haven’t heard either. Im going off reviews and impressions of those that I trust in the hobby. From what I’ve been told and read is that Elite has the better technicality’s.
And the price difference between the regular and limited edition is no joke too at $1k 😵‍💫
It’s quite a hike! I luckily got a great deal on mine, which I am very thankful for.

Oct 26, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #68,516 of 91,342

The standard leather and Alcantara. I did order the angled Alcantara tho!

Thanks so much Mat.

Thanks for the assist my friend 👊

Great to hear this from another Empy lover! I’ll def be sharing my impressions here with you all. 🤙🏼

@jwilliamhurst , I really feel for you about your fear of MRIs and can imagine that the situation with the loss of your hearing on one ear is terrible.
Now in my 50s, after countless (it were only about 6) head surgeries and radiation at the head, which have completely changed my life dividing it in my first life and my second life, I have had to endure an average of almost 2 head MRIs per year for 30 years of my life. But sometimes there are improvements. I'm doing pretty well now and only undergo one MRI every year for check-ups. One consequence of the surgeries is that I have bad eyes today but my ears remaind extremely well. I wanted to encourage you with what the Buddhists say: Everything positive comes to an end at some point, but so does everything negative. With that, I hope you get through the MRI well and get well soon for your ear. I could imagine that they will not find a morphological issue in the scans and the reason of your hearing loss lies rather in a temporary issue which soon subside.
I wish you all the best.

Oct 26, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #68,517 of 91,342
Well as long as you are not claustrophobic then it's cool 😂
When I did MRI for my cervical pain I have to lay still for 45 minutes and no gulping allowed. Move a bit and it takes longer to finish because the image is blurry so they have to retake it again. I hope everything goes well for you @jwilliamhurst 🙏

Oct 26, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #68,518 of 91,342

My simplistic comparison of Empy and Elite is like FiR XE6 (Empy) and RN6 (Elite) in their focus. Here's what I shared in the Empy thread:

Depending on your listening preference, I'd recommend the Empy if you're looking for punchy, deep and fast bass with full mid range, treble response is tuned quite smooth and rolls off some treble strikes which makes for a fatigue free and relaxing listen. Empys are not the last word in detail retrieval or resolution and soundstage sounds natural, appropriate in width and depth for the recording. You can shift Empy's tonality and detail retrieval closer to Elites by swapping in angled alcantara earpads (OG symmetric are included with previous production / Elite angled alcantara with current production).

If you're looking for technical performance and critical listening with colored tuning, I'd recommend Elite. It's technically impressive - especially of how "big" of sound, expansive soundstage, separation and instrument layering and punchy bass when needed.

Oct 26, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #68,519 of 91,342
I really feel for you about your fear of MRIs and can imagine that the situation with the loss of your hearing on one ear is terrible.
Now in my 50s, after countless (it were only about 6) head surgeries and radiation at the head, which have completely changed my life dividing it in my first life and my second life, I have had to endure an average of almost 2 head MRIs per year for 30 years of my life. But sometimes there are improvements. I'm doing pretty well now and only undergo one MRI every year for check-ups. One consequence of the surgeries is that I have bad eyes today but my ears remaind extremely well. I wanted to encourage you with what the Buddhists say: Everything positive comes to an end at some point, but so does everything negative. With that, I hope you get through the MRI well and get well soon for your ear. I could imagine that they will not find a morphological issue in the scans and the reason of your hearing loss lies rather in a temporary issue which soon subside.
I wish you all the best.
Thank you so much for your good vibes and for sharing your story.

I very much align with your Buddhist quote as I’m an avid meditator and believe everything is for a reason or purpose. I keep telling myself, “Fear does not exist except that which I create.”

Staying positive and hopeful all works out for the best.

I pray your condition remains stable and that you are able to remain at peace.

Thank you again for your words of kindness and wisdom. 😊

Oct 26, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #68,520 of 91,342
I'm coming around to your line of thinking here. I've always disregarded treble as an afterthought, the quicker it gets out the way of the 'good stuff', the better. But I'm realising that most of my issues with IEMs invariably point to the treble - too hot, too sharp, too grainy, too prominent. I never thought that inoffensive and smooth treble could actually be the result of great treble, but the more I listen, the more this becomes apparent.
This is something I have also begun to realise. I need detailed but smooth treble. I used to think on the lines of Bass and mids but without detailed and smooth treble, something is left out big time for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back