The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 17, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #64,546 of 88,573
Sunday Snap Survey: what are your Top 5 BASS-FIRST IEMs?

Quick explainer: my criteria for a bass-first IEM is an IEM with world-class bass first, foremost, and sometimes to the detriment of balance, neutrality and any other metric. I'm not just talking head-shaking bass that muddies the entire FR, but head-shaking is definitely a positive if the rest of the tuning is still very good. Think visceral, textured, powerful, dynamic bass.

Bass-first IEMs can also have world-class mids or treble, though it's extremely rare to have all three in one IEM. They can also be technically superb, but as often happens, one or other technical metric might suffer if it's bass you're priotising.

If bass is an afterthought, plays a supporting role, or comes second to anything, it doesn't belong on this list.

My Top 5 below, have fun voting.

1. CFA Trifecta
2. Sony IER-Z1R
3. FIR Radon 6
4. FatFreq MSE
5. Sennheiser IE900

Honorable mentions and potential substitutes: EE Legend X, FIR Xe6, HiBy Zeta

(PS. Unlike Prof Rockwell, I'm not going to be tallying anything up, this is just for fun, and to see how may bassheads I can tease out of the Watercooler closet).

That's a fun list! Heres my take from my limited experiences.

1. FIR xe6
2. Fitear DC
3. Oriolus Szalayi
4. FIR rn6
5. Sony IER Z1R

Sep 17, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #64,547 of 88,573
But in the traditional sense, my bass first top 5 is:
1. EVO
2. EVO
3. EVO
4. EVO
5. EVO
Classic top five!

I heard the EVO for the first time last month and I was really impressed with its bass. Absolute bass monster. Part of me thinks about getting one, but I have my sights set on the Raven at the moment. Hmm...decisions, decisions?!

Sep 17, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #64,548 of 88,573
Interesting that you consider Odin, Fourte and Jewel as 'bass first' IEMs. All three have good, even great bass, but I don't think of bass first when I think of any of them. Elysium definitely not, but you get a pass for that one 😅
Haha, yeah I understand what you mean 😂
I guess only RN6 is valid on my list 🤪

Sep 17, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #64,549 of 88,573
1. Empire Ears EVO
2. Empire Ears Legend X
3. MMR Thummim
4. 64 Audio Trio
5. Thieaudio Divinity
Doh!

I completely forgot about the EXT. I even had this on tour and thought the bass was great. So err...

6. Vision Ears EXT 👍

Sep 17, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #64,550 of 88,573
Classic top five!

I heard the EVO for the first time last month and I was really impressed with its bass. Absolute bass monster. Part of me thinks about getting one, but I have my sights set on the Raven at the moment. Hmm...decisions, decisions?!

Easy choice. The EVO can be picked up used for a low price, relative to msrp. It's not just a bass monster, it has great technicalities, and it does vocals really well imho. Then see how Raven does, and if it looks like a winner buy it used in 6-12 months from now. 😊

Sep 17, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #64,551 of 88,573
Top 3 IEMs for Bass:

1. Trifecta
2. Xenon 6
3. Perpetua

Note:
Perpetua may be a surprise if you haven’t heard it or hadn’t decent time with it. It has unbelievable bass quality and very decent quantity.

Top 3 “Value IEMs” for Bass

1. Madoo Typ 512
2. Oriolus Szalayi
3. FatFreq Maestro Mini

Top 3 BA IEMs for Bass

1. Subtonic Storm
2. Symphonium Helios
3. Multiverse Mentor

Bass Emeritus IEM:

Sony IER-Z1R

Top 3 Headphones for Bass;

1. Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC
2. Audeze LCD4
3. Focal Utopia (aware of subbass roll off but slam and decay are class-leading)

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #64,552 of 88,573
Easy choice. The EVO can be picked up used for a low price, relative to msrp. It's not just a bass monster, it has great technicalities, and it does vocals really well imho. Then see how Raven does, and if it looks like a winner buy it used in 6-12 months from now. 😊
I'm hopefully going to get to hear Raven soon, have owned EVO, but will likely re-buy an LX as my favourite bass-first EE IEM of them all. There's just something about LX's organic tonality I really miss. After all, it's the original legendary bass-first IEM and from what I've heard and seen since, still hasn't been replicated.

Sep 17, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #64,553 of 88,573
I'm hopefully going to get to hear Raven soon, have owned EVO, but will likely re-buy an LX as my favourite bass-first EE IEM of them all. There's just something about LX's organic tonality I really miss. After all, it's the original legendary bass-first IEM and from what I've heard and seen since, still hasn't been replicated.
I’m considering selling my Legend X in my quest to free up some funds to put towards the Raven. But reading this makes me teary eyed for it. 😪

Sep 17, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #64,555 of 88,573

Quick explainer: my criteria for a bass-first IEM is an IEM with world-class bass first, foremost, and sometimes to the detriment of balance, neutrality and any other metric. I'm not just talking head-shaking bass that muddies the entire FR, but head-shaking is definitely a positive if the rest of the tuning is still very good. Think visceral, textured, powerful, dynamic bass.

Bass-first IEMs can also have world-class mids or treble, though it's extremely rare to have all three in one IEM. They can also be technically superb, but as often happens, one or other technical metric might suffer if it's bass you're priotising.

If bass is an afterthought, plays a supporting role, or comes second to anything, it doesn't belong on this list.

1. CFA Trifecta
2. Sony IER-Z1R
3. FIR Radon 6
4. FatFreq MSE
5. Sennheiser IE900

(PS. Unlike Prof Rockwell, I'm not going to be tallying anything up, this is just for fun, and to see how may bassheads I can tease out of the Watercooler closet).
In no particular order:
Rn6
EXT
Xe6
IE900
Grand Maestro

Sep 17, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #64,556 of 88,573

1. CFA Trifecta
2. Sony IER-Z1R
3. FIR Radon 6
4. FatFreq MSE
5. Sennheiser IE900

1. FatFreq MSE
2. Sony IER-Z1R
3. Sennheiser IE900
4. Astell & Kern x Empire Ears Odyssey
5. 64 Audio Fourte Blanc

Special mention to FIR Audio Xenon 6 and Nightjar Acoustics Singularity

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #64,557 of 88,573

1. CFA Trifecta
2. Sony IER-Z1R
3. FIR Radon 6
4. FatFreq MSE
5. Sennheiser IE900

Haven’t heard/owned too many bass-first sets so in my limited experience:

1. Z1R
2. Singularity
3. Crimson

I don’t have a fourth or fifth worth mentioning 😅

Sep 17, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #64,558 of 88,573
Doh!

I completely forgot about the EXT. I even had this on tour and thought the bass was great. So err...

6. Vision Ears EXT 👍
Ooooh yes, good addition, I also forgot the EXT!

4. for me too hahaha

Sep 17, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #64,559 of 88,573
Looking at the list, most of the IEM mentioned is using DD for bass 😎
I often said to myself that I don't like BA bass , but maybe it's just because I never heard the best. Maybe someday when I have the chance to try Storm or Trailli I will be converted? 😂
Who knows 😁
Haven't heard storm, but I'm not sure Traillii would convert anyone that has a proper DD addiction. It's certainly extremely high quality BA bass, but it just doesn't feel as thick and earthy as DD bass does. Not to mention its subbass doesn't extend quite as low as some sets on these lists. This is precisely the reason I'm back on this forum after a year long hiatus lol.

Sep 17, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #64,560 of 88,573

1. CFA Trifecta
2. Sony IER-Z1R
3. FIR Radon 6
4. FatFreq MSE
5. Sennheiser IE900

Of the iems I have actually heard

CFA Atlas
UM Mext
CFA Trifecta

Users who are viewing this thread

Back