The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 15, 2023 at 12:35 AM Post #56,176 of 91,354
Maybe I'll post here once a day. I've owned a bunch of IEMs at different points in my life, maybe reminiscing on the past will be interesting.
Well, here's day 2.

The second pair of IEMs I owned were Shure SE-215-SPE. The ones with the translucent blue shell. They sounded about as pretty as they looked; at the time, they were beautiful, and I thought they sounded rather wonderful. So much more clear, with actual imaging & soundstage... at least, in comparison to the few things I had tried at the time. With excellent isolation, and some Symbio W tips to ease off the bass, they were fantastic. These were the IEMs that I used while homeless, blowing most of my budget to do so, at least living on the street in comfort. A nice sleeping bag, good iems, V40... life was a bit of a dream, though I didn't have any income, and it burnt out fast just trying to keep food in my stomach.

By the time the old family had enough of seeing how far I was willing to go to be away from them, they were a bit worse for wear. However, within a few weeks of coming home, I had shattered them during my sleep. My IEMs at the time, and until very recently, were used for sleeping with. Unfortunately the SE215's are not meant to deal with being rolled upon, and thus gave up.

And so ends that arc of the story. Next up: ER4XR, and the horrors of sleep

By the way, does 634ears still offer their budget model? I remember it being around 190 US dollars or something like that. Surprisingly affordable.

Apr 15, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #56,177 of 91,354
For those of you who enjoy electronic music of the more upbeat variety, but still melodic and complex with numerous layers, this is a really fantastic track (and overall album). I absolutely adore the pounding kick drum when it arrives after the long intro - its like a beating heart that guides the track along with the accompanying synths. Dominik Eulberg is an amazing artist too, always a buy-on-sight artist for me when he releases a new album. Needless to say, I'm loving this right now - N7 and Camelot doing a mighty fine job.

Yep, I like this a lot, thank you for sharing this, please keep up the recs!

My library is only half of yours, 108 GB only.
Mine is 2.5Gb. I just got my first high-res music download today.
Mine WAS almost 2TB big - until I completely deleted it when I discovered Tidal and now Apple Music the other day. I had also already bought a new hard drive, which I finally sent back still packaged. Tidal came just in time, so I could save the money for this hard drive. :beerchug:

Apr 15, 2023 at 12:43 AM Post #56,178 of 91,354

Mine WAS almost 2TB big - until I completely deleted it when I discovered Tidal and now Apple Music the other day. I had also already bought a new hard drive, which I finally sent back still packaged. Tidal came just in time, so I could save the money for this hard drive. :beerchug:
You DELETED all the files??! 😵‍💫

Well, here's day 2..
I like this series already. Thank you.

Apr 15, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #56,179 of 91,354
Is TGX Totem drivable with a DAP?😳 Being a 700 ohm impedence phone, I thought it needed a desktop setting.. Is gold plated copper cable good? Silver plated copper is not a selectable option..
I was eyeing on Bell shaped Ripple(if this will be released), as it would be easier to drive with a DAP.
I can say it definitely reaches its full potential with desktop power. That can be achieved with a portable head phone amp as well imo. I’ve had desktop power and to be honest, my Dap plus portable amp sounded better to me. I have tried Totem with my P6pro alone and unfortunately it did not have enough power to reach full dynamic potential of the totem.

Apr 15, 2023 at 12:49 AM Post #56,180 of 91,354

You just accidentally deleted it, or you are worried about FBI may trace you down along with the RIAA? :)

Apr 15, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #56,181 of 91,354
You DELETED all the files??! 😵‍💫

I like this series already. Thank you.
You just accidentally deleted it, or you are worried about FBI may trace you down along with the RIAA? :)
This time I have intentionally deleted all files :dt880smile:. Why keep them, when I can find everything I had on Tidal and co. - sometimes even in better quality? I only saved pictures of the folders for safety, but I marked all artists as favorites on Tidal before that and there I make regular backups with CVS files (https://www.tunemymusic.com), so I always know what I have. With Qobuz, I could even download and save all the files on the PC if I wanted to. With Tidal you can actually do that too, but I have no interest in it.

Apr 15, 2023 at 12:55 AM Post #56,182 of 91,354
I have a tough question. I have under 850usd to spend. There is douk audio 4493 on drop for 599. Thats 300 off. The Cayin mk2 idac6 which has wonderful reviews

I could not find Douk from Drop.. Do you have a link?
I do not know much about desktop setting. It will depend on your receiver and taste. Generally, I recommend Chord products..
For Dac, amp or Dac/amp one box, Burson or Schiit products will be good IMO. For TOTL one box, Naim Unity Atom headphone edition is famous.

Isn’t bottlehead crack amp famous for HD600s matching?🪵

Apr 15, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #56,183 of 91,354
That's exactly what I was thinking! In fact, I was already planning to use the stock black silicone again as soon as I get around to using Viking Ragnar again. Still, I find the quite Xelastec good because they add a bit more foundation and better vocals without sacrificing energy (or even soundstage).
Azla max old favorite and still my current favorite azla crystal for Ragnar(viking).

Apr 15, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #56,184 of 91,354
i am seriously considering about pulling the trigger on an orphy shielding. looking/lurking around, i came across with murakumo2. anyone has had a chance to see/hear this thing ? any reviews or opinions better yet comparisons ?

Apr 15, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #56,185 of 91,354
Is TGX Totem drivable with a DAP?😳 Being a 700 ohm impedence phone, I thought it needed a desktop setting.. Is gold plated copper cable good? Silver plated copper is not a selectable option..
I was eyeing on Bell shaped Ripple(if this will be released), as it would be easier to drive with a DAP.
It sounds great with the SP3K. Lots of head room. It's even drivable off my Ifi Go bar. As far as the cable differences, I ran out of time before I could compare the two.

In other news: My Tansio Mirai RGB shipped!

Screenshot_20230414-233839_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Dopamine levels 📈

Apr 15, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #56,187 of 91,354
sometimes i question myself, is it the search for the best sound reproduction or simply chasing high levels of dopamine with pushing buy buttons.
Mostly the latter with the 'hope' of the former in my experience.

Apr 15, 2023 at 4:15 AM Post #56,189 of 91,354
sometimes i question myself, is it the search for the best sound reproduction or simply chasing high levels of dopamine with pushing buy buttons.

I wasn't sure if the IEM was ready to be shipped. For me right now having the joy knowing I'll be able to hear it again sooner than later ☺️

Apr 15, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #56,190 of 91,354
X-posted from the RS8 thread:

As much as I love the open back Titanium etching on the RS8 cover, I think the new closed cover absolutely nails it for looks and comfort. The deep blue is special too, so different. Recommended if you're looking for a bit more protection for the delicate RS8 finish.

PSX_20230415_114938.jpg

PSX_20230415_115207.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back