The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 3, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #5,566 of 88,423
Odin… U12t on roids? Hmmm. I just don’t see that at all. Can you elaborate on this?

It's possibly the only IEM I've heard which one ups the u12t in its capacity for masterful imaging and raw detail retrieval. I wasn't talking so much about FR.

Dec 3, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #5,568 of 88,423
Oh haha okay, I was like hmmm they don’t really sounds like at all to me. 😂

Yeah I should have been more specific in my comment. When @kevin638880 described the Odin as "dissecting sound" it made me think of the u12t as the latter also has that effect on me...though the two IEMs accomplish that via entirely different means and, as you say, they sound entirely different.

Dec 3, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #5,569 of 88,423
Oh haha okay, I was like hmmm they don’t really sounds like at all to me. 😂
Couldn‘t be any more different in terms of tuning. Odin has slightly better detail retrieval, (IMO) much better bass, sounds brighter and sharper.

U12t beats Odin hands down on dynamics tho, not even close. Also tuned more to my liking for long listening periods.

Dec 3, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #5,570 of 88,423
Yeah I should have been more specific in my comment. When @kevin638880 described the Odin as "dissecting sound" it made me think of the u12t as the latter also has that effect on me...though the two IEMs accomplish that via entirely different means and, as you say, they sound entirely different.
Hmm I don‘t think U12t is as dissecting as the Odin, maybe because it sounds much smoother and laid back, and it is more coherent too.

Dec 3, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #5,571 of 88,423
Odin has ...much better bass

U12t beats Odin hands down on dynamics tho

These often go hand in hand as the sort of dynamics you get with the speed of BAs simply can't be equalled by a DD...but for many it's a worthy sacrifice for the superior timbre.

Dec 3, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #5,572 of 88,423
Hmm I don‘t think U12t is as dissecting as the Odin,

I don't think it is either, which is why I described Odin as "u12t on steroids" in that regard.

Dec 3, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #5,573 of 88,423
That's pretty easy, for me the UM 3DT is great value at around $300. It nails the engagement factor, and I get completely drawn in by it's warm and natural tuning.

Meanwhile back in the $500+ segment, DHL came through this afternoon...

U6t.jpeg

Really like what I'm hearing so far, U6t is just a smooth easy listen regardless of source device or recording. I feel like this is going to be the IEM I grab when I don't want to think about what IEM I'm grabbing, and I just want to listen to the music..
Will await your in-depth review - happy listening!

drftr

Dec 3, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #5,574 of 88,423
OG Plastics One cable :) Less distraction, more music listening
taken-1638543716522.jpg

taken-1638543792241.jpg

(blue bass, nice)

Also got to try the Melli the other day
taken-1638067456972.jpg

Some impressions I found
- Similar character to the Traillii but without the EST at the upper-end and more lifted upper-mids/lower-treble
- Nice warmth in the mids which increased some naturalness in its tone
- Excellent separation and wide soundstage
- Bass was also reminiscent of the Traillii, but with slightly less quantity (especially subs), and perhaps tighter/more controlled
- Resolution was also great, and it didn't feel dry, lifeless or overly analytical
- I think the difference in SQ to the Traillii shouldn't cost more than $2000, they're more alike than different, biggest difference was only in the EST smoother treble

Dec 3, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #5,575 of 88,423
These often go hand in hand as the sort of dynamics you get with the speed of BAs simply can't be equalled by a DD...but for many it's a worthy sacrifice for the superior timbre.
Yeah it is hard to go back to BA bass once you have heard good DD bass.

Speaking of good DD bass, the EXT....got you hands on a pair yet?:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dec 3, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #5,576 of 88,423
Yeah it is hard to go back to BA bass once you have heard good DD bass.

Speaking of good DD bass, the EXT....got you hands on a pair yet?:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nope, sadly. VE will be sending me tour samples of the EXT & Phonix for a Canadian tour I'm running...we were supposed to get them in Sept but supply issues have pushed it to January. I'll defo get to hear them both eventually and I can't wait. At this rate EXT is promising to be my Goldilocks IEM.

Dec 3, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #5,577 of 88,423
OG Plastics One cable :) Less distraction, more music listening
taken-1638543716522.jpg

taken-1638543792241.jpg

(blue bass, nice)

Also got to try the Melli the other day
taken-1638067456972.jpg

Some impressions I found
- Similar character to the Traillii but without the EST at the upper-end and more lifted upper-mids/lower-treble
- Nice warmth in the mids which increased some naturalness in its tone
- Excellent separation and wide soundstage
- Bass was also reminiscent of the Traillii, but with slightly less quantity (especially subs), and perhaps tighter/more controlled
- Resolution was also great, and it didn't feel dry, lifeless or overly analytical
- I think the difference in SQ to the Traillii shouldn't cost more than $2000, they're more alike than different, biggest difference was only in the EST smoother treble

Is the top one a Rhapsodio IEM?

Thanks for the "Anus impressions (haha)...that's the first ever Oriolus IEM I ever heard mentioned and I've been curious about it for a long while...unfortunately it's quite prohibitively expensive for an IEM that not many seem to have heard. Sounds like the Oriolus equivalent to the Phonix/Erlky.

Dec 3, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #5,578 of 88,423
People have vastly different ideas as to what constitutes a lot of bass. Source comes into play a lot too. Dorado 2020 is definitely a basshead IEM through the M8...but through the SR25ii it comes off almost balanced. It's weird. Are you going to order this new Fiio IEM? Will be curious for your thoughts if you do.

Also do you have your Zen Pro yet? Mine just cleared customs...I may have it, the Kato and my Isabellae all by Monday. It will be an exciting week next week.

Here's a question for you all: you have to take one IEM and one source to a desert island...you have to make your choice today...what do you choose?
Yes, I watched the YT video yesterday and pre ordered this morning. My Zen Pro order is DHL scheduled for delivery on Friday 12/10.
My desert Island IEM is my VE V8. Nice and smooth and balanced and being all BA, does not draw a lot of power.

Dec 3, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #5,579 of 88,423
Is the top one a Rhapsodio IEM?

Thanks for the "Anus impressions (haha)...that's the first ever Oriolus IEM I ever heard mentioned and I've been curious about it for a long while...unfortunately it's quite prohibitively expensive for an IEM that not many seem to have heard. Sounds like the Oriolus equivalent to the Phonix/Erlky.
The top one is the Aroma Early 1DD + 1BA hybrid I found used while browsing at the store. I really liked its sound from first try. It has a good midrange tone like the AONIC3 and a punchy DD bass

Ha ha, the one I tried was used though, it's an older model and may not sound the same as the JP ver

Dec 3, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #5,580 of 88,423
Ha ha, the one I tried was used though, it's an older model and may not sound the same as the JP ver

How much was it?

Update: My Zen Pro is now in Canada...I should have it by Monday :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back