The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 10, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #51,872 of 89,382
I've never claimed to have audiophile tuning preferences, and I never will,
What’s this audiophile tuning preference? If you have a love of music, you are an audiophile, whereas you’re tuning preferences are uniquely your own.
Anyone know why tidal sounds really bad via uapp ?!? I think it has something to do with mqa ?!? I'm playing through hiby rs8
With the previous posts on UAPP, I had just then switched from the Tidal app to UAPP on my RS6, and it sounds 100% the same to me. It was the exact same track I played on both, happens to be an MQA one. The only difference I ever hear with UAPP is if I’ve disabled bitperfect, or have some EQ enabled (of course)

Mar 10, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #51,873 of 89,382
I’m going to be contrarian: when I first got my N8ii it was all about UAPP. Lately? It’s ugly as sin and as about as non-intuitive as can be, but I’m gonna Champion the Neutron App. Don’t get me wrong, UAPP ain’t going anywhere, but Neutron is a keeper too.
Can you stream Qobuz with the neutron music player?

Mar 10, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #51,874 of 89,382
Call me fickle but neutron is so ugly and unintuitive so native player or UAPP if only poweramp played as good as it looks.

Mar 10, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #51,876 of 89,382
Finally the weekend, my work has me absolutely consumed at the moment, and nothing like being able to step away on a Friday night and enjoy music...

Mar 10, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #51,877 of 89,382
Can you stream Qobuz with the neutron music player?
Good question, I’m not sure and can’t easily check now. I usually use my phone for streaming, DAPs much less so, usually defaulting to my own files.

Mar 10, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #51,878 of 89,382
Call me fickle but neutron is so ugly and unintuitive so native player or UAPP if only poweramp played as good as it looks.
I feel you. When using Neutron, I’m hitting play and turning away, lol. But sometimes, kinda like that “World’s Ugliest Dog” contest, I lean into its 80s vibe ugliness, but it’s work.

Mar 10, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #51,879 of 89,382
Only if you use it in folder mode, and access a folder with lots of files. This is a limitation of Android 11+ Scooped Storage, and applies to any app, not just UAPP. Once you ingest your music files into UAPP's library, the access speed issues disappear.
UAPP takes more than 6 hours to parse my library on the SD card on my DX170.
Neutron, Hiby Music or Mango take about 10 minutes.

I have repeated the process 3 times, installing and uninstalling the app, with new versions of the app, without any change.

And the result also leaves much to be desired. In all the apps the artists, years of the albums, etc, are perfectly detected. But in UAPP at least 70% of the years do not appear in the list of albums, and you cannot correctly order by age, of course.

The same SD card with the same content was also perfectly scanned by UAPP on my previous DX300 running Android 9.

EDIT: my SD card has not many files in a folder. Is perfectly structured with artist folders, inside albums folders, and inside song files, in FLAC or MP3 320, all of them perfectly tagged and without problems in Neutron, Hiby or Mango, or UAPP in Android 9...

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #51,882 of 89,382
Little story. Sold my P6Pro to Mr. Hurst a while ago and realized all I had was the $$$ LP6Ti so nothing to go traveling around with. Kept trying out various DAPS but nothing not R2R fell flat compared to what I had. Finally found a used N6iiTi here in the classifieds for a killer price and snagged it. I had a non Ti version before and loved it even though it didn't stack up to the sound of the L&Ps, but had that lovely organic R2R vibe.
I asked on the N6ii thread if there was any better APPs to listen besides the Hiby and Cayin ones. jlemaster1957 suggested I try the UAPP. Guys, this was the best $8.50 I EVER spent on this hobby. Completely transformed the audio on the N6iiTi. Resolution took a huge leap forward, bringing this lovely DAP much closer to L&P territory. Seems the app bypasses the Android garbage and is able to access the music right off the SD card. Evidently does good things to streaming too. Anyhoo, if you have a DAP that uses Android, GET THIS. You'll thank jlemaster1957 and me later.....

The LP6 Ti isn’t portable? I figured it’s the same size as the SP3K

Mar 10, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #51,883 of 89,382
Gaea_measurements.jpg

Fresh from my coupler, Gaea vs MMII.

No wonder why Gaea is divisive. It's reallyyyy pushing the boundary. But at the same time, hats off to Elysian Acoustic Lab for:
  • Knowing to stop at 10dB ear-gain boost rather than going full 12.5dB (or the 20dB insanity that some Chi-Fi tuners do)
  • Tuning the upper mid and treble so smoothly. The raw graph of Gaea looks like a smoothened graph, to give you an idea. No peak no dip all the way from 2k to 5k. Just flat.
  • Balancing the ear-gain and bass precisely. It mean just look at the balance!
  • Boosting air.
If you don't like this tuning, then there is nothing to say to change it. But I've got to say, to me, it's master work. @Bosk mentioned that Gaea is noticeably less resolving than the true TOTL like Anni and even U12T (a claim which I will evaluate today :beyersmile: ). If it is the case, then (1) I can't even imagine how resolving the Anni, the bird, and the jewel are, and (2) the Gaea is likely at the limit of what 1 + 4 topology can do. I can't think of any tuning "tricks" to get more, since Gaea already very revealing with zero mud.

Mar 10, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #51,884 of 89,382
Anyone know why tidal sounds really bad via uapp ?!? I think it has something to do with mqa ?!? I'm playing through hiby rs8
Do you have bit perfect enabled and upsampling disabled for the internal HiRes Driver?

Screenshot_20230310_160317_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg
Screenshot_20230310_160334_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #51,885 of 89,382
I feel you. When using Neutron, I’m hitting play and turning away, lol. But sometimes, kinda like that “World’s Ugliest Dog” contest, I lean into its 80s vibe ugliness, but it’s work.
It looks like a Winamp skin. I actually wish UAPP or Roon had visualization.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back