The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 5, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #51,151 of 90,355
Having recently heard the GAEA, if I used these tracks, I would prefer a set with milder 6-8kHz range. In fact, most of my IEMs will give me fatigue. Hi-hats and cymbals are pretty splashy in these songs.

I did like the Violet Evergarden album. Thanks for bringing that up! Part of the joy I get from this thread is the music discovery with such diverse audience.
Fellow VE fan! Love the work of Evan Call. I found most of the tracks to be memorable: around 30/47 songs. For an album like that, it's quite impressive for me.

Mar 5, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #51,152 of 90,355
AZLA Sednaearfit MAX users are you using the TWS version on your IEMs or the Standard?

Asking because I've had good results with Sony CP360 eartips that are designed for TWS, so I wonder what the best liked one is before ordering. Tnx...

drftr

Mar 5, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #51,153 of 90,355
Toto - Hold the line

True - Sincerely

Beauty & the Beast OST

Ron Wasserman - Power Rangers Redux

Edit 2: I'll add one more track. I use this as my female vocals test track for any new IEM that I get. The 4 of them have a very unique voices that combined sound harmoniously amazing.

BIG MAMA - Live

My library consist of OSTs, Orchestra, and live recordings so all the intrustments that are in the treble region ie cymbals, electric guitars, etc as well as female vocals hurt my ears after long listening sessions. I forgot to add the cavet if I cannot listen to a whole album 10-13 tracks of 3-5 minutes length without it hurting my ears, then it's a no for me hence my stated opinion earlier.

And maybe my library isn't fit for the GAEA and or my hearing isn't as good as others. But this is what I experience. For the the people that have their sets. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do for other sets. GAEA will be put onto the back burner and maybe when I'm not as treble sensitive, I'll bring them out and find enjoyment in them.

Edit: I would love to hear the feedback since I understand people have different hearing.

Hmm, maybe we are talking about different things. Sibilance is usually associated with "sss" in vocals around 6k-7kHz where GAEA actually starts to roll off its frequencies relative to upper mids. I played all of your test tracks, one of which is not even vocal, like Beauty and the Beast instrumental soundtrack score. Everything sounded OK to my ears. But again, it all goes back to how we individually hear it, our ear sensitivity, perhaps the source you are using, and the selection of eartips (wide bore vs narrow bore opening). Music selection will play a big role for sure.

Btw, what source do you use to play these tracks?

Mar 5, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #51,154 of 90,355
Fellow VE fan! Love the work of Evan Call. I found most of the tracks to be memorable: around 30/47 songs. For an album like that, it's quite impressive for me.
Haha it’s the first time I heard it. I might become a fan, I dunno yet :sweat_smile:

My trusty Traillii is a little too hot with this music. If I had the choice, I would use Meze Advar with Cayin DAPs, or Jewel might work too.

Mar 5, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #51,155 of 90,355
Haha it’s the first time I heard it. I might become a fan, I dunno yet :sweat_smile:

My trusty Traillii is a little too hot with this music. If I had the choice, I would use Meze Advar with Cayin DAPs, or Jewel might work too.

We definitely hear things differently, which is totally normal :wink: To my ears, Advar needs a serious tip-rolling, prefer foamies. Otherwise, that 7kHz sibilant peak going to show its ugly piercing side :D

Meze_Advar-FR02.jpg

Mar 5, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #51,156 of 90,355
We definitely hear things differently, which is totally normal :wink: To my ears, Advar needs a serious tip-rolling, prefer foamies. Otherwise, that 7kHz sibilant peak going to show its ugly piercing side :D

Meze_Advar-FR02.jpg
Oh maybe so :thinking: I should have said "going by memory". I didn't get splashy impression from it when I had it. Going by this graph, yeah, 7kHz....

Mar 5, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #51,157 of 90,355
Coming to Europe in 3... 2... 1...

Never?

We're always working on new CanJams! We just don't announce anything until we're absolutely ready. :slight_smile:

How do you delete a post? I double posted and couldn't find out how to delete it

You can report the duplicate post, listing "duplicate post" as a reason, and the mods will get to it in time. :slight_smile:

Mar 5, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #51,158 of 90,355
Hmm, maybe we are talking about different things. Sibilance is usually associated with "sss" in vocals around 6k-7kHz where GAEA actually starts to roll off its frequencies relative to upper mids. I played all of your test tracks, one of which is not even vocal, like Beauty and the Beast instrumental soundtrack score. Everything sounded OK to my ears. But again, it all goes back to how we individually hear it, our ear sensitivity, perhaps the source you are using, and the selection of eartips (wide bore vs narrow bore opening). Music selection will play a big role for sure.

Btw, what source do you use to play these tracks?
Then you are lucky with your hearing because it gets fatiguing to me and some of them makes me want to pull my eyes out. I've tired different ear tips that were made to tame treble, cable rolled to pure copper, use a Sony ZX-707 DAP, Samsung S8 with dongles like M15, Shio, btr5 and Quadelix 5k.

Thank you for trying. I guess I'm just treble sensitive. Even right now after listening to the GAEA I'm still getting listener's fatigue.

Mar 5, 2023 at 11:46 PM Post #51,159 of 90,355
If the player has internal memory I would be more concerned about filling that up. It does not make sense to me that the external memory would be used for a temporary process storage for the players operational data flow, since the players I have used will work without a card installed. I never tried to fill a card so do not know. 1TB of music I like enough to have on a player would be tuff to do since all my files are lossless compressed that is 10s of tons of tracks.
Got it. From feedback sound like I’m good filling up the SD card a bit more. And I don’t tend to use the internal storage much to allow for these processes. Appreciate all the helpful responses.

Mar 6, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #51,160 of 90,355
2013 was 10 years ago
st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg
Well, if the way the market has to advance is to multiply prices by 10, it would be a bad sign.

Luckily we have the chifi and some brand that is contained.

Mar 6, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #51,161 of 90,355
Well, if the way the market has to advance is to multiply prices by 10, it would be a bad sign.

Luckily we have the chifi and some brand that is contained.
Inflation money-wise over those 10 years was 28.5%. But looking at it just like that completely misses the point that inflation in quality has been enormous. And ahead of that comes research and a ton of other things which, obviously, has to be paid by someone.

But like in 2013 in 2023 you're not forced to buy the best sounding IEMs either. And there's also a point to be made that the top quality from 2013 may be possible to find way cheaper in 2023.

drftr

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2023 at 12:32 AM Post #51,162 of 90,355
I have been listening to the Mentor for a few days now.

It is 11:26PM and I need to be up at 4:00AM for mandatory physical training.

I can't stop listening to house music with the MM paired with Hugo 2. I never even listened to house before, but the BCD make the bass in house music a unique experience.

Currently listening to "Chill House 2023" Playlist by Selected. and every song is a hit with the MM. I'll compare listen to these songs on the Elysian X to see how much of a difference the BCD makes.

If anyone else knows some genres or artists that unleash the MM's BCD potential, please recommend. I love melodic songs btw.

Mar 6, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #51,163 of 90,355
I have been listening to the Mentor for a few days now.

It is 11:26PM and I need to be up at 4:00AM for mandatory physical training.

I can't stop listening to house music with the MM paired with Hugo 2. I never even listened to house before, but the BCD make the bass in house music a unique experience.

Currently listening to "Chill House 2023" Playlist by Selected. and every song is a hit with the MM. I'll compare listen to these songs on the Elysian X to see how much of a difference the BCD makes.

If anyone else knows some genres or artists that unleash the MM's BCD potential, please recommend. I love melodic songs btw.
Mentor does have the magic, but for me, the magic is less on bass but in the Mids.

Mar 6, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #51,164 of 90,355
Met up with my Lebanese electrical engineer friend earlier. He tried my Mentor / Orphy SP3K. Loved his reaction. He was blown away.

EE316B58-1DB6-42C8-8580-AB1F32E1D24A.jpeg

While listening to David Guetta / Sia "Titanium" he said:

"Oh my god. The bass is moving in my ear. It sounds like she's in a live concert hall... Crazy amount of detail."

He sources parts, programs and builds robotics so I asked him what he thought of the internal specs of the Aroma ATB / Holo May.

Aroma ATB:
Me: How much would this cost to make?
DBE67043-E996-4896-8C01-34FF8D36E8DA.jpeg

Him: Most of the parts could be found readily found online but as a one man operation DUY I would charge 2.5K for the R&D and full assembly.

Holo May
A3764980-6C74-4BE9-BE34-5BED3374AC6C.jpeg

Looking at the Holo May, he geeked out how clean the layout was and said it's a lot easier to make a complicated device to perform a simple task than the other way around. Similar to the ATB, he said it would be a lot more time consuming for an individual to build it from scratch than sourcing built assemblies.

Mar 6, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #51,165 of 90,355
Inflation money-wise over those 10 years was 28.5%. But looking at it just like that completely misses the point that inflation in quality has been enormous. And ahead of that comes research and a ton of other things which, obviously, has to be paid by someone.

But like in 2013 in 2023 you're not forced to buy the best sounding IEMs either. And there's also a point to be made that was top quality in 2013 may be possible to find way cheaper in 2023.

drftr
Except for the most expensive IEMs, the same dollar today can buy you way better sound. For example, if you are looking at the reviews years ago on Ety ER4XR, the rave review claims that for $4xx, it is a steal. Today it is usually on sales for $150 or lower.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back