The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 8, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #48,361 of 91,357
I think you’ve miss read my post. You’re correct, the screws should be facing out but he has the left side going into the right earphone and vice versa… you can usually tell by how Christian has shaped part of the cable that goes around the ear (it should be facing up).

On non-custom cables this is usually indicated by right = red / left = blue
My bad!!!! You are correct he had left & right mixed. :slight_frown::sleepy:

Feb 8, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #48,362 of 91,357
1.jpg

Last night I had the great pleasure of attending a free outdoor concert at Melbourne's Sidney Myer Music Bowl - a Tchaikovsky Spectacular consisting of a selection of his most famous works. You can view the programme here.

Arriving the late afternoon to secure seats close to the stage, here you can see the large grassy area beyond the seating zone where people were already beginning to set up picnic blankets.

2.jpg

The performance was almost ready to start, and most seats were taken. Organisers estimated the eventual crowd at around ten thousand including those on grass.

3.jpg

This is Carlo Antonioli who conducted. A very articulate young man, with the evening's presenter from ABC Classic FM.

4.jpg

The concert began at 7:30pm, and we were treated to a beautiful summer night with the temperature hovering around 20c. Eventually night fell and the mood shifted.

5.jpg

Our seats were quite close to the stage. The acoustics were not at the level I'd experienced in Melbourne's concert halls and they used amplification for the benefit of those far from the stage -evident by a dimly perceptible echo of select frequencies- but despite this, sonically I could still discern various sections of the orchestra distinctly from one another in a way that never seems similarly possible listening to a recording.

6.jpg

Here you see the close of the performance. Suffice to say Tchaikovsky's music is sublime, Swan Lake is particularly splendorous and finishing with the 1812 Overture (sadly no real cannons) was the ideal way to end the evening with a bang. Ambling back through the moonlight of the King's Domain on this warm summer night with a jovial step and a glowing heart etched a smile on my face.

7.jpg

Thank you Marvellous Melbourne for a lovely evening.

Often when deciding to attend a live music event I waver, but invariably come away profoundly grateful for participating in the experience afterwards. Music played passionately through real instruments weaves a particular spell on us, and even listening sessions through portable devices afterwards are infused with added magic as the afterglow of the effect lingers.

Feb 8, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #48,363 of 91,357
Survey thought: Those of you who are searching-- what are you searching for? Something specific, or just the thrill and excitement of the search?
At the moment I'm not really searching for anything specific, as I've already selected my next major purchase, just waiting to pull the trigger.

In a larger sense, after being at this for nearly 3 years, I feel like I've kind of left the thrill of the chase behind. Sure, there's plenty of sets I haven't tried, and I'm always keen to hear what the best has to offer. But what I really want from gear is that transcendent listening experience, that fall-back-in-your-chair-with-a-dumb-grin, have to pinch yourself kind of thing. Gear that I'm jonesing to hear again and again and again.

I guess I'm not chasing so much any more because I have that kind of experience regularly with the Andro2020, Empyrean, Cascade & A12t. Especially the A12t, for whatever reason it really connects deeply with me in a way that leaves me always wanting more more more despite it's reputation for "boring/reference/neutral" -ness. I guess I'm just weird/lucky that way.

I know you cant speak to my personal comfort, but what about bass? If the bass is rolled off and missing, theres nothing in the world that will make them engaging to me.
The Serratus definitely does not have rolled-off bass, but you do need a good comfortable fit to hear it properly. I think the 'bell' style buds are a little smaller, and might give you a better fit?

Feb 8, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #48,364 of 91,357
Great to see all the 634ears love around here. Musashi is a super cool guy, so passionate about his craft. It's refreshing to go back to 'basics' with simple designs, natural materials and exceptional craftsmanship, stripping away the flash for some genuine artistry. I'm finally getting a chance to settle in with these guys, which I've had around for a while now, and very much look forward to sharing my impressions here soon.

634ears5.jpg
L to R: LOAK-TC (Closed) Copper, 9iNE Indian Rosewood, LOAK-TO (Open) Pink Ivory, 9iNE Zebrawood, LOAK-TC Cocobolo
Would be really interested to know how is the isolation on the open Loaks, always wanted to try one but was concerned on the isolation.

Feb 8, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #48,365 of 91,357
Great to see all the 634ears love around here. Musashi is a super cool guy, so passionate about his craft. It's refreshing to go back to 'basics' with simple designs, natural materials and exceptional craftsmanship, stripping away the flash for some genuine artistry. I'm finally getting a chance to settle in with these guys, which I've had around for a while now, and very much look forward to sharing my impressions here soon.

634ears5.jpg
L to R: LOAK-TC (Closed) Copper, 9iNE Indian Rosewood, LOAK-TO (Open) Pink Ivory, 9iNE Zebrawood, LOAK-TC Cocobolo
I'm enjoying seeing all these and am thinking I might want a pair... Based on descriptions on their site, the 9ine seems to likely be the best bet, as it seems to be the warmest and smoothest, and luckily for me also the cheapest. I know you haven't shared your impressions, but does that seem right to you based on hearing them?

Two questions for everyone who has tried them, any pressure build up? And how am I supposed to go a out choosing a wood type? I have no idea what types they have or what they all look like...

Also off to check out some earbuds, thanks everyone for the recommendations.

Feb 8, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #48,366 of 91,357
Survey thought: Those of you who are searching-- what are you searching for? Something specific, or just the thrill and excitement of the search?
Still waiting for Godot (Anni and Ragnar)!

Honestly "speaker like" is kind of a meaningless phrase on its own.
Indeed. Not sure if this describes the stage or timbre or both. The more I think about it the more confused I get!

That's a lovely Melbourne waterfront image. I must make a trip soon to visit my brother (and while I am there, some Coolers)!

Feb 8, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #48,367 of 91,357
I'm enjoying seeing all these and am thinking I might want a pair... Based on descriptions on their site, the 9ine seems to likely be the best bet, as it seems to be the warmest and smoothest, and luckily for me also the cheapest. I know you haven't shared your impressions, but does that seem right to you based on hearing them?

Two questions for everyone who has tried them, any pressure build up? And how am I supposed to go a out choosing a wood type? I have no idea what types they have or what they all look like...

You can refer to this for a general guide of the wood to go with the 9iNe

You can also have a look at the 634ears instragram to see what the wood looks like

https://blog.634ears.com/en/blog/9ine-wood/

https://www.instagram.com/634ears/

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #48,368 of 91,357
Feb 9, 2023 at 12:32 AM Post #48,369 of 91,357
Feb 9, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #48,370 of 91,357
My mind wanders off to Mentor and Allegro if I haven't been listening to the Sultan for a day or 2. Then, often within the first minute when listening again, I'm saying No way!!! and I'm cured. For a few days that is. So knowing that there is something interesting out there keeps my mind occupied. But looking at the fun I get out of the Sultan I'm probably much better off trying to find the perfect setup and call it a day; regardless of how much fun I have in reading here and there (mostly here, not there 😉). I know myself long enough: As long as I keep reading I'm interested. The day I stop it's done. Only to start again when I start reading again.

The only thing I'd like to buy now is a DAP. Most likely choice is the NW-1AM2 as that's an awesome match with Sultan that results in a tighter sub bass, slightly fuller lower mids, and it attenuates Sultan's lower treble hardness. If the DX240/AMP8ii has a similar warm tuning then I'd prefer that but I haven't come across any comparison. Third and last option is waiting until a new <1k and lightweight R2R DAP shows up on the market.

Apart from that I'm only searching for better health post COVID as the air pollution and extreme dryness in Northern India are the absolute worst thing for my struggling lungs. I'm afraid I have to cut my 5th visit short 😩

drftr

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #48,371 of 91,357
My mind wanders off to Mentor and Allegro if I haven't been listening to the Sultan for a day or 2. Then, often within the first minute when listening again, I'm saying No way!!! and I'm cured. For a few days that is. So knowing that there is something interesting out there keeps my mind occupied. But looking at the fun I get out of the Sultan I'm probably much better off trying to find the perfect setup and call it a day; regardless of how much fun I have in reading here and there (mostly here 😉). I know myself long enough: As long as I keep reading I'm interested. The day I stop it's done. Only to start again when I start reading again.

The only thing I'd like to buy now is a DAP. Most likely choice is the NW-1AM2 as that's an awesome match with Sultan that results in a tighter sub bass, slightly fuller lower mids, and it attenuates Sultan's lower treble hardness. If the DX240/AMP8ii has a similar warm tuning then I'd prefer that but I haven't come across any comparison. Third and last option is waiting until a new <1k and lightweight R2R DAP shows up on the market.

Apart from that I'm only searching for better health post COVID as the air pollution and extreme dryness in Northern India are the absolute worst thing for my struggling lungs. I'm afraid I have to cut my 5th visit short 😩

drftr
Hi....OOOPs

Feb 9, 2023 at 12:47 AM Post #48,372 of 91,357
My mind wanders off to Mentor and Allegro if I haven't been listening to the Sultan for a day or 2. Then, often within the first minute when listening again, I'm saying No way!!! and I'm cured. For a few days that is. So knowing that there is something interesting out there keeps my mind occupied. But looking at the fun I get out of the Sultan I'm probably much better off trying to find the perfect setup and call it a day; regardless of how much fun I have in reading here and there (mostly here 😉). I know myself long enough: As long as I keep reading I'm interested. The day I stop it's done. Only to start again when I start reading again.

drftr
I was just thinking about your situation as you have limited carrying space. Right now I have the Elysian tour kit Gaea & Diva. Have been going totally nuts with tip-rolling on both. I think I must have used 30 or more different tips (all getting some different sound signature). How many tips do carry & do you think a lack of tips hurts your chances of getting that perfect sound signature????? :spy::thinking::thermometer_face:

Feb 9, 2023 at 12:55 AM Post #48,373 of 91,357
I was just thinking about your situation as you have limited carrying space. Right now I have the Elysian tour kit Gaea & Diva. Have been going totally nuts with tip-rolling on both. I think I must have used 30 or more different tips (all getting some different sound signature). How many tips do carry & do you think a lack of tips hurts your chances of getting that perfect sound signature????? :spy::thinking::thermometer_face:
Tnx for sharing your concerns! Those are great thoughts. I have collected 18 different ones and @Ace Bee has 2 more waiting for me when I reach Delhi. If I can somehow add the Max too then I'm complete (enough). Then, after buying a DAP it will be time to make up my mind about which tips to use, after which 95% will leave the house/backpack. If someone is interested in about 20 sets of Large eartips and is able to sanitize them after me using them for an hour max then I'm happy to send them out for free.

drftr

Feb 9, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #48,375 of 91,357
Also I don't remember what oage it was kn but someone asked about Tube Amps with Jewel. I'm using CDM but CDM sounds different with different tubes. With my current tubes which are the stock tubes, I hear a slight loosening of subbass vs Hugo2, increased air and mid bass quantity, increased sound stage in all directions, slight rounding of the highest highs and the overall FR being pushed more into the warm natural tonality.
Thanks for your feedback 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back