The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 30, 2023 at 5:09 AM Post #47,611 of 91,357
An overnight message from 634ears to say mine are built and shipped, to include photos of the finished work - LOAK-T (CL) with Cocobolo wood finish, they certainly look beautiful, can’t wait to try them.

28F5C6B5-B2B0-4CAD-9F61-B8A8C33AABA4.jpeg

49FC8CFC-24BC-4D49-93F8-E1D792E88A6B.jpeg

They look beautiful, I wonder how sound quality can be ...

On my side, for a few months now, I am really intrigued by these type of IEM and trying to explore this path as prices became rather reasonable now...

Actually, I use the Xelento as my "reference" as the most comfortable IEM I ever bought for these last 30 years, though it has a bit too intimate stage width comapred to some other of my IEMs.

Now,after some attempts these last years with much more expensive IER-Z1R, IE600, IE900, EXT, and some much cheaper Chinese Planars (the really convincing Zetian WU) or DD (the more common Thruthear Zero), I want to try now to go this type of last decade form factor (balanced cable down) with various serious made available on the market :
-> Sony MH755 (less than 50€) .. the cheapest (with a MMCX mode), those are just amazing after applying some AutoEQ PEQ (based on Crinacle Website Harman 2019 calculator), it provides the deepest ultra low frequencies l ever got in my life. But, they need to be deeply inserted with some Spinfit 360 tips and can be a bit uncomfortable after a while compared to the Xelento (for sleeping 5 to 7 hours)
-> Sennheiser IE800 (230€), ultra tiny, rather comfortable, but with some annoying driver flex noise when sleeping, and missing some high frequencies details even after AutoEQ.. not bad at all, but less impressive than MH755 and Xelento.
-> I am waiting for the 235€ Drop JVC HW1800 and with great expectations concerning low frequencies texture.. though, they probably may need some autoEQ for high frequencies to fit my personal taste.
-> I am waiting this week for a 130€ sealed new box Sony XBA-N3AP, which makes me wonder how hybrid Tech (DD+BA) can improve results for high frequencies (they should theoretically remind me a bit my loved but dead IER-Z1R with even some more comfort)

I hesitate to give a try to these 634ears IEM as I still have on my list the Technics EAH-TZ700, but I am waiting the price to go under 500€ (for some used on ebay ?)

Jan 30, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #47,612 of 91,357
Hi guys, right now, excluding the Cayin N8ii, if you want a DAP with also tube amplification and balanced output 4.4, the only options are iBasso DX320X with AMP14 (optional) and A&K SP2000T ?
Among these , which would be the best choice , in terms of SQ ?
I didn’t have Amp 14 at time of having DX320, but if it just like Amp 13 in terms of sound (one output is classical airy tubey sound, second is hybrid and more meaty and balanced one) I’d go for DX320.
If you want soft but mostly neutraland uncolored tubes - N8ii.
SP2KT is inferior to both of them in terms of SQ.

Jan 30, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #47,613 of 91,357
I’ll test versus others in the coming days but in terms of that warm/analogue sound, Eclipse or even FW1500 spring to mind.

Are the DDs in Trifecta each responsible for lows, mids, and highs? - very curious to understand the tuning configuration. But to your question on treble region on a single DD for electronic music, I’m not sure I follow you - plenty of single DD sets have excellent upper frequencies for more energetic electronic music, IE900 for example a favourite for me, I’d say the fastest single DD I’ve tried.

Looking forward to another session with Trifecta tonight, hopefully some more tip rolling gets rid of the pressure issue - surprised there are no vents, especially for DDs… unless I’m missing them but I definitely can’t see or feel any, plus indeed I am experiencing pressure build.

There are vents, one for each driver, really hard to see. You need good light and look directly at where the two halves come together. They are tiny rectangular ones.

After thinking about DDs and that different materials used for them can cause a DD to lose some of that analogue sound as well as warmer tuning in favor of increasing speed and detail that perhaps my wider thought that DDs in general are not a great idea for treble, is debunked at inception.

When listening to what is to me a novel interesting one of a kind experiment, it gets points. Though the question I still have is does three analogue sounding DDs improve instrument timbre over one.

As far as your question about each of the three DDs all doing the same thing vs each one handling a different portion of the frequency range, I do not know though was assuming the later.

Jan 30, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #47,614 of 91,357
Stunning! That Cocobolo is beautiful. Looking forward to hearing your impressions on them.

Are they meant to be worn ‘cable down’ like the JVC’s? I forgot to ask this question when chatting with Musashi a couple weeks ago.

Yes my understanding is they are worn down which is typically the case with this form factor - I know some manage to over ear but it hasn’t worked for me with any others. The key I’ve found is a firmer and slightly larger tip to get a secure fit, and then typically very comfortable as is the case with FW1500 as a recent example.

Jan 30, 2023 at 6:31 AM Post #47,615 of 91,357
Non avevo l'Amp 14 quando avevo il DX320, ma se fosse proprio come l'Amp 13 in termini di suono (un'uscita è il classico suono valvolare arioso, la seconda è ibrida e più carnosa ed equilibrata) sceglierei il DX320.
Se vuoi tubi morbidi ma soprattutto neutri e non colorati - N8ii.
SP2KT è inferiore a entrambi in termini di SQ.
Thanks for your feedback

Jan 30, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #47,616 of 91,357
Is AMP13 the warmest sounding module? And would you still consider it warm compared to your Sony?

I'd probably be most interested in DX240 / AMP8ii, assuming that would get me closest to 1AM2. But since I can't demo and comparisons with 1AM2 are as elusive as a dealer with stock...

drftr

If you are interested in ibasso amp comparison, I covered all modules here in amp14 review.

Jan 30, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #47,617 of 91,357
Hey guys! Here's my review of the Custom Art FIBAE 5, 1DD + 2BA + 2 Planar IEM. It includes detailed impressions with graphs and comparisons against Custom Art's own F7 Unlimited as well as other competing IEMs. Enjoy!

Nice review! Overall matches my impressions of my set. Very fun to listen to, but does take some adjustment as there is some sizzle in there that can come off a bit hot at first, especially to those a bit treble sensitive, like myself. I adjusted pretty quickly too, but do end up preferring to eq the general treble region down by a couple db.

I also would have a few extra nitpicks, but overall I really like them. And even with the larger size, I think they fit really well and are quite comfortable, which is something that's I often have issues with on a lot of others.

Jan 30, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #47,618 of 91,357
Hey guys! Here's my review of the Custom Art FIBAE 5, 1DD + 2BA + 2 Planar IEM. It includes detailed impressions with graphs and comparisons against Custom Art's own F7 Unlimited as well as other competing IEMs. Enjoy!

Thank you so much for such a glowing review! Highly appreciated :)
Nice review! Overall matches my impressions of my set. Very fun to listen to, but does take some adjustment as there is some sizzle in there that can come off a bit hot at first, especially to those a bit treble sensitive, like myself. I adjusted pretty quickly too, but do end up preferring to eq the general treble region down by a couple db.

I also would have a few extra nitpicks, but overall I really like them. And even with the larger size, I think they fit really well and are quite comfortable, which is something that's I often have issues with on a lot of others.
Thanks for the feedback :) have you tried using comply foams, that should help bring down the treble a bit

Jan 30, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #47,619 of 91,357
Hi guys, right now, excluding the Cayin N8ii, if you want a DAP with also tube amplification and balanced output 4.4, the only options are iBasso DX320 / DX320X with AMP14 (optional) and A&K SP2000T ?
Among these , which would be the best choice , in terms of SQ ?

Add iBasso DX320 and upcoming transportable AK ACRO CA1000T

If you’re looking for an all in one, ja those 4. Otherwise any DAP + external tube amp, eg Cayin C9, WA W8, etc.

Jan 30, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #47,621 of 91,357
Can these also be used with DX240, Alex? That would be a light enough travel companion and come with a price I'd be willing to fork over. Tnx...

drftr

Unfortunately, no - different sized AMP cards.

Jan 30, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #47,622 of 91,357
Can these also be used with DX240, Alex? That would be a light enough travel companion and come with a price I'd be willing to fork over. Tnx...

drftr

When they say a picture is worth a thousand words: dx240 vs dx150/200/220/300/320 amp cards.

20211019_213815.jpg

Jan 30, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #47,623 of 91,357
... I’m not sure I follow you - plenty of single DD sets have excellent upper frequencies for more energetic electronic music, IE900 for example a favourite for me, I’d say the fastest single DD I’ve tried.
At least one guy hearing his IE900 as I do mine. Always wonder why so many don't seem to like it. The only explanation making sense is that their might be an unusual high deviation between each set due to issues in the production process or that people often use inappropiate tips for this sensitive IEM in that respect. Who knows, but well....

Why bother - looking forward to a HW1800 and a Neon Pro instead :gs1000smile:

Jan 30, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #47,625 of 91,357
Thanks for the feedback :) have you tried using comply foams, that should help bring down the treble a bit
I dont get on well with foam eartips. Never can tell when I actually have a seal or not, and dont like the idea of having to swap them out every few months. As I said though, the treble isnt really hot or anything, it just comes in a bit sharp and takes a little getting used to. Totally happy with them even without eq, the eq just gets them a bit closer to my personal "target".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back