The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 29, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #47,596 of 91,358
Twister's review says: "With access to full Android, you have support of WiFi and Bluetooth, can load other apps, stream audio, etc, though you have to be aware that stock DX320 doesn’t have Google Play. Instead, it comes pre-loaded with APKPure and CoolApk apps where you can search and download most of the apps to install on your DAP. But the easier way is to download and install Google Play straight from APKPure which I did without any issues.

One word of advice, once you install Google Play store, get rid of APKPure and CoolApk apps because they are only wasting resources while running in the background and constantly checking your installed apps"

Full review: https://twister6.com/2022/08/15/ibasso-dx320/3/

So you get a full Android and just use APKPure once to install Google Play. From then on you've play store access and you're all set.

Some tell me "your reviews are too long", which is true, and that I should trim it down to sound analysis only. But when I see people reading and quoting other parts of my reviews, besides just sound analysis, pair up, and comparisons, it makes me realize that I shouldn't change anything. Just keep it partitioned and split into multiple pages for easier read cause there are plenty who benefit from other parts of the review :)

Jan 29, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #47,597 of 91,358
@ranfan - have you listened to A8000 recently so as to compare with Svanar?!
Oh, they're quite the opposite. A8000 emphasises treble, resolution, imaging sharpness and speed more, and Svanar is a more laidback rolled treble analogue sounding device. Svanar is darker and warmer. Both have their own signature style and equally enjoyable IMO (depending on your treble demand/sensitivity)

Jan 29, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #47,598 of 91,358
Love my a8000. Patience is needed with them to find the right tips. Fantastic with classical music. I find them better with a warm source. Dx320 with amp 13 is very good. Try and get the final 4.4 cable too
Is AMP13 the warmest sounding module? And would you still consider it warm compared to your Sony?

I'd probably be most interested in DX240 / AMP8ii, assuming that would get me closest to 1AM2. But since I can't demo and comparisons with 1AM2 are as elusive as a dealer with stock...

drftr

Jan 30, 2023 at 12:35 AM Post #47,599 of 91,358
Certainly was a glowing report of an IEM I’ve not heard masses. Thanks for that great write up!
You're welcome! I don't know what 'I've not heard masses' means though. :sweat_smile: Oh and I hope you read the review and comparisons fully because there is quite a lot of nitpicking in there. Ha! But yeah, F5 is quite fun and it's not every day that one comes across an IEM that is tuned to be a coloured/fun IEM without going too far into wonky territory.

Jan 30, 2023 at 12:43 AM Post #47,600 of 91,358
Is that true? Is their android 11 uncapped? I was under the impression from reviews that app installation is limited (no play store access). Would consider picking up one if that isn't the case.

You may be confusing iBasso with AK.

All of the latest iBassos, Fiio’s, HiBy, Shanlings, Cayin run open Android. Majority come preloaded with Google Play Store except iBasso where you use APKpure to download and install Play Store apk - eg, RS8, you switch on Play Store on in the settings.

iBasso has even recently released Android 11 upgrades via firmware for 3MAX and DX300.

FBDD02D1-D65C-43E4-BF58-F0F1EBFEFB20.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #47,602 of 91,358
First HiFiCon went off without a hitch. There is some lessons learn like make sure to bring a lightning cable dongle for iPhone users but other than that it was great meeting people and talking about IEMs.

Helping others audition gear they thought about buying, finding what they prefer in sound signature and giving opportunities for people to try TOTL IEMs as well as others.

It was great to meet Mark of Super Reviews trying out the Penon Impact & Turii Ti to name a few. I didnt know he was super popular on youtube. Nice to get his impressions and thoughts. Super nice guy.

Also, it was great meeting Theo(Precogvision) and getting his thoughts/impressions of a few of the IEMs. Super chill/Nice. 👌🏽

Overall fantastic event. Wish I had more time to get out of my chair and try out other gear there, maybe next time, I'll go as a spectator.
20230129_123606.jpg
20230129_122441.jpg

Jan 30, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #47,604 of 91,358
I would like it if you could do a comparison to your favorite single driver analogue sounding DD set. For obvious reasons I think, does three DDs expand the ability of a DD presentation to keep timbre accurate for instruments. So far Trifecta is the set I have heard that is my favorite for piano solos, such as Keith Jarrett’s live Koln concert.

I am developing a thought that for electronic music, DDs in the treble region are not going to do what is needed for that music. If that is true how does a single DD set do it, where a triple DD set does not?

Also if you could please use the DX320.

I’ll test versus others in the coming days but in terms of that warm/analogue sound, Eclipse or even FW1500 spring to mind.

Are the DDs in Trifecta each responsible for lows, mids, and highs? - very curious to understand the tuning configuration. But to your question on treble region on a single DD for electronic music, I’m not sure I follow you - plenty of single DD sets have excellent upper frequencies for more energetic electronic music, IE900 for example a favourite for me, I’d say the fastest single DD I’ve tried.

Looking forward to another session with Trifecta tonight, hopefully some more tip rolling gets rid of the pressure issue - surprised there are no vents, especially for DDs… unless I’m missing them but I definitely can’t see or feel any, plus indeed I am experiencing pressure build.

Jan 30, 2023 at 2:49 AM Post #47,605 of 91,358
An overnight message from 634ears to say mine are built and shipped, to include photos of the finished work - LOAK-T (CL) with Cocobolo wood finish, they certainly look beautiful, can’t wait to try them.

28F5C6B5-B2B0-4CAD-9F61-B8A8C33AABA4.jpeg

49FC8CFC-24BC-4D49-93F8-E1D792E88A6B.jpeg

Jan 30, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #47,606 of 91,358
Hi guys, right now, excluding the Cayin N8ii, if you want a DAP with also tube amplification and balanced output 4.4, the only options are iBasso DX320X with AMP14 (optional) and A&K SP2000T ?
Among these , which would be the best choice , in terms of SQ ?

Jan 30, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #47,607 of 91,358
An overnight message from 634ears to say mine are built and shipped, to include photos of the finished work - LOAK-T (CL) with Cocobolo wood finish, they certainly look beautiful, can’t wait to try them.

Congrats David it looks amazing! :D

Jan 30, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #47,608 of 91,358
I’ll test versus others in the coming days but in terms of that warm/analogue sound, Eclipse or even FW1500 spring to mind.

Are the DDs in Trifecta each responsible for lows, mids, and highs? - very curious to understand the tuning configuration. But to your question on treble region on a single DD for electronic music, I’m not sure I follow you - plenty of single DD sets have excellent upper frequencies for more energetic electronic music, IE900 for example a favourite for me, I’d say the fastest single DD I’ve tried.

Looking forward to another session with Trifecta tonight, hopefully some more tip rolling gets rid of the pressure issue - surprised there are no vents, especially for DDs… unless I’m missing them but I definitely can’t see or feel any, plus indeed I am experiencing pressure build.
Based on your impressions I thought the same!
I bought FW1800 and i can't wait to listen it even if Eclipse tempt me a lot too...

Jan 30, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #47,609 of 91,358
Jan 30, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #47,610 of 91,358

Stunning! That Cocobolo is beautiful. Looking forward to hearing your impressions on them.

Are they meant to be worn ‘cable down’ like the JVC’s? I forgot to ask this question when chatting with Musashi a couple weeks ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back