The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 2, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #45,151 of 89,330
Here are the results from the "Top 5 Desert Island IEMs" question from our "Year End" poll that has been running for the last couple weeks and which had 83 entries all in (though not all of them answered this particular question).

It's funny how when you can choose 5 IEMs people are freer to explore a bit. Also, it seems the Bird is still soaring and is moving into 2023 staring down at us all.

Traillii x25
Mentor x24
Xe6 x21
Jewel x20

IER Z1R x16
Odyssey x15
Trifecta x13
a/u12t x10
Phonix x10
Blanc/Noir x10

Supermoon x8
Indigo x8
EXT x7
Ragnar x6
Kr5 x6
EVO x5
Annihilator x5
a/u18t x4
Andromeda x4

Diva x3
Elysium x3
Fourte x3
IE900 x3
KSE 12/1500 x3
Legend X x3
Turii Ti x3
Viking Damascus x3
Odin x3

Pathfinder x2
Solaris x2
Monarch MKii x2
ElysianX x2
u/a18s x2
Red Halo x2
Kublai Khan x2
MESTMkii x2
Xelento 2 x2
Storm x2
Isabellae x2
Phonix LE x2
Jolene x2
Mason FS x2
LCDi4 x2
Turii x2
Sultan x2
Mezzo x2
Hook-X x2

MEXT
Sultan
Twilight
Szalayi
TZ70
Sharona
Anima
Advar
Zeus
Camelot
Tia Trio
M4
XM4
Eclipse
Percivali
Cadenza
VxV
Cereberus
HS2000
EST50
Prelude
IE100 Pro
Khan
Nio
MEST Mki
Duo
Fibae 5
MaestroMini
DCTi
TZ700
InfinityMKii
V6Divinity
K5
Erlkonig
VE7
HS1750CU
Ne4
Zen Pro
Oriolus MKii
ER4XR
Maestro SE
Gaea
Ringo
Elixir
Fh9
Kaiser Encore
Fitear 111
Wraith
Atlas
Fusion
NWWS410
K10
Cyberblade
If the question was about one model, it would definitely be Traillii.
If these are 5 models in order of decreasing probability, they are Traillii, Ra 21.5, SM, Mason 3 and HUM Dolores.
I don't have an SM, so it's about choosing models regardless of price and availability.

Jan 2, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #45,152 of 89,330
Is there a huge difference in SQ between the LP6 gold and the LP6 Ti or about the same?
Yes. The gold has two Dac chips, the Ti and AE both have 4 chips. I would say the difference is substantially, Ti and AE are much better.

Jan 2, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #45,153 of 89,330
Yes. The gold has two Dac chips, the Ti and AE both have 4 chips. I would say the difference is substantially, Ti and AE are much better.

P6 Pro says "Who needs chips?" :smile:

lp-p6pro-26.jpg

Jan 2, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #45,154 of 89,330
Do you have plan to go full-size headphones in the future? Otherwise, dedicated desktop stack for IEMs are not usual choice. However, if you are sure WFH situaion will be a long term thing, and you definitely won't go for headphones, then I would suggest you invest in Schiit Modi Multiple 2 as DAC ($300 before tax and shipping) and rest for a good AMP.

BTW, since you already had desktop setting according to your signature, do you have any specific requirement? If I were you, I would spend that for another IEM.
I’ve had the HD800S, Arya, and LCDX, but IEMs seem to be my thing at the moment. I currently use the Topping A50s/D50s as my every day source. I guess i could see myself using a DAP in the future, so that’s not off the table completely.

Thanks for the suggestions

Jan 2, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #45,155 of 89,330
P6 Pro says "Who needs chips?" :smile:

I still miss this device. Just need to hold out a little longer for LP7, hopefully this fall if the E7 launch goes smoothly. If you are even slightly interested on LP7, get on Musicteck's pre order list so you can have first dibs. I've been on the list since first week of April 2021.

For anyone curious about P6Pro, I wrote a couple of posts about it.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/interesting-machine-from-luxury-n-precision.918288/post-16716444
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/interesting-machine-from-luxury-n-precision.918288/post-16677773

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #45,156 of 89,330
B51091DF-D0F2-4964-8CEF-F9F551531997.jpeg
06AD983B-24FA-41DC-BB4D-6CCE8CF9296B.jpeg
AE33FC99-DA4A-45A6-8E4C-DC8ABD8ED230.jpeg
I would like to thank @SteveK27 for the giving me the opportunity to try the most insanely expensive IEM cable I’ve ever had in my hands - the PW Audio Orpheus Shielding!

The cable itself has a massive gauge size, feels premium and sturdy and happens to match Mentor’s aesthetics quite well. At this price, you expect something to have outstanding build quality and I must say the connectors feel rigid and well soldered to the cable, and the braiding is tightly woven, symmetrical and finely crafted.

Is it worth its price tag? Well, as someone who already winces at $300.00+ cables, I’ll say no, but I 100% admit that this cable sounds superb and drastically different than the default PW Audio “Deep of Universe” installed on the Mentor.

How does it sound on Mentor vs stock cable?

- The first thing I noticed was a deeper and wider stage, which allows sound to come at you in more pinpoint fashion in space.

- The above lends to a “blacker background“ which I am amused in saying, as I always found this silly. But, it’s true, the background is blacker and allows for more finite details to come at your more effortlessly and with more nuance.

- Vs the Deep of Universe cable, this cable presents a more softened tonality yet with more refinement and sense of effortlessness in detail. It’s silky, for lack of a better words, and helps “improve“ the timbre of Mentor at the expense of a bit of dynamic attack and sharpness in the top end. Many will like this!

- I find the midbass hump to have been reduced with the Orphy over DeepOfUni lending a cleaner and more organic midrange and bringing out upper mids a bit. I admit I prefer the stock cable on Mentor overall for its musicality and sharpness, but the Orpheus resolves quite a bit more information and expands the sound notably.

- It’s impressive to hear how much sound has changed (objectively) with just a cable swap - I’m happy to say that this is reassuring considering how much it costs!

I would characterize this cable as neutral with a nice tonal quality as you’d expect from Copper without forcing details. Effortless and natural and very expansive without sounding forced in any frequency range.

I won’t personally own such a cable, but hearing it has been enlightening. If you’re an iem maniac who wants to extract every last bit out of your world class iem’s, and have the expendable funds for such luxury - you are getting results :)

Lastly, I have also received @Rockwell75 's Elysian Acoustics tour units (Gaea/ Diva) so I will write back on impressions with those pairings with Orphy (which I can already confirm synergize better than with Mentor due to their more forward nature). Will also give Orphy a shot with MEST OG & U18T.

Cheers!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 2, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #45,157 of 89,330
B51091DF-D0F2-4964-8CEF-F9F551531997.jpeg06AD983B-24FA-41DC-BB4D-6CCE8CF9296B.jpegAE33FC99-DA4A-45A6-8E4C-DC8ABD8ED230.jpegI would like to thank @SteveK27 for the giving me the opportunity to try the most insanely expensive IEM cable I’ve ever had in my hands - the PW Audio Orpheus Shielding!

The cable itself has a massive gauge size, feels premium and sturdy and happens to match Mentor’s aesthetics quite well. At this price, you expect something to have outstanding build quality and I must say the connectors feel rigid and well soldered to the cable, and the braiding is tightly woven, symmetrical and finely crafted.

Is it worth its price tag? Well, as someone who already winces at $300.00+ cables, I’ll say no, but I 100% admit that this cable sounds superb and drastically different than the default PW Audio “Deep of Universe” installed on the Mentor.

How does it sound on Mentor vs stock cable?

- The first thing I noticed was a deeper and wider stage, which allows sound to come at you in more pinpoint fashion in space.

- The above lends to a “blacker background“ which I am amused in saying, as I always found this silly. But, it’s true, the background is blacker and allows for more finite details to come at your more effortlessly and with more nuance.

- Vs the Deep of Universe cable, this cable presents a more softened tonality yet with more refinement and sense of effortlessness in detail. It’s silky, for lack of a better words, and helps “improve“ the timbre of Mentor at the expense of a bit of dynamic attack and sharpness in the top end. Many will like this!

- I find the midbass hump to have been reduced with the Orphy over DeepOfUni lending a cleaner and more organic midrange and bringing out upper mids a bit. I admit I prefer the stock cable on Mentor overall for its musicality and sharpness, but the Orpheus resolves quite a bit more information and expands the sound notably.

- It’s impressive to hear how much sound has changed (objectively) with just a cable swap - I’m happy to say that this is reassuring considering how much it costs!

I would characterize this cable as neutral with a nice tonal quality as you’d expect from Copper without forcing details. Effortless and natural and very expansive without sounding forced in any frequency range.

I won’t personally own such a cable, but hearing it has been enlightening. If you’re an iem maniac who wants to extract every last bit out of your world class iem’s, and have the expendable funds for such luxury - you are getting results :)

Lastly, I have also received @Rockwell75 's Elysian Acoustics tour units (Gaea/ Diva) so I will write back on impressions with those pairings with Orphy (which I can already confirm synergize better than with Mentor due to their more forward nature). Will also give Orphy a shot with MEST OG & U18T.

Cheers!
Thank you for the amazing impression!!
I always thought the stock cable on Mentor is stellar itself and not necessarily *needing* an upgrade due the virtue of how well it synergizes with Mentor.

I'm actually more excited to hear what you might think of Orphy when paired with U18t and Mest og :)

Jan 2, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #45,159 of 89,330
I still miss this device. Just need to hold out a little longer for LP7, hopefully this fall if the E7 launch goes smoothly. If you are even slightly interested on LP7, get on Musicteck's pre order list so you can have first dibs. I've been on the list since first week of April 2021.

For anyone curious about P6Pro, I wrote a couple of posts about it.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/interesting-machine-from-luxury-n-precision.918288/post-16716444
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/interesting-machine-from-luxury-n-precision.918288/post-16677773
Would you happen to know LP7 has better album track management (eg songs can play as per album order)? 🙏🏻 thank you

Jan 2, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #45,160 of 89,330
Would you happen to know LP7 has better album track management (eg songs can play as per album order)? 🙏🏻 thank you
I do not know specifics of the new OS or hardware.

That being said, Wan and the LP team have worked to ensure the new LP7/E7 OS does not suffer from limitations of the previous generation. I would imagine track sorting would fall under this category. The LP team has taken the numerous feedback of customers to heart. When I had LP6 for evaluation (and owned both P6Pro variants) I personally explained the software limitations with a detailed software bug report and highlighted track sorting/management as a priority issue that needs to be addressed.

The new Xilinx VU57P FPGA (https://www.xilinx.com/products/silicon-devices/fpga/virtex-ultrascale-plus-vu57p.html) being used in E7 (and hinted to be used in LP7) is a substantial leap in computing power over the previous generation. LP is not cutting corners here. I will share more info when I can.

Jan 2, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #45,161 of 89,330
Which one of them has more emotional involvement? more full mids? also which one would you say is the most musical ? Thank you!!
Well...let me back track a bit...The 50 is more than twice the price of the P5. Listening to the 50 on my desktop and it is absolutley perfect. When I said "if you like bass go with the P5, if you like treble the 50" that was a bit of an over simplification. The bass on the 50 is massive, but those dual ES tweeters give you clear, extended treble as well, that the P5 cannot touch. The treble on the P5 is well extended, tho 'darkish'. The bass and mids on the P5 is sumptuous. So think of the P5 as the 50 without the treble clarity. The thing is both IEMs punch well above their price point. But to your question, which has more 'emotional involvement"? I would have to go with the P5. That 'darkish' treble adds a bit of mystery and chirascuro. The 50, as perfect as it is doesn't have any 'secrets', no mystery, no chirascuro, it just presents everything in a fuller, more 'open' way. A magnificant way, but it is a 'fuller' sound that presents everything right to your face. Also the P5 has better layering and depth, but the 50 has the wider soundstage. And I think the P5 is more musical and engaging. :thinking:

20230102_195831.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #45,163 of 89,330
Does anyone have experience with Rosencranz cables? - @ranfan quite possibly you do!

Well...let me back track a bit...The 50 is more than twice the price of the P5. Listening to the 50 on my desktop and it is absolutley perfect. When I said "if you like bass go with the P5, if you like treble the 50" that was a bit of an over simplification. The bass on the 50 is massive, but those dual ES tweeters give you clear, extended treble as well, that the P5 cannot touch. The treble on the P5 is well extended, tho 'darkish'. The bass and mids on the P5 is sumptuous. So think of the P5 as the 50 without the treble clarity. The thing is both IEMs punch well above their price point. But to your question, which has more 'emotional involvement"? I would have to go with the P5. That 'darkish' treble adds a bit of mystery and chirascuro. The 50, as perfect as it is doesn't have any 'secrets', no mystery, no chirascuro, it just presents everything in a fuller, more 'open' way. A magnificant way, but it is a 'fuller' sound that presents everything right to your face. Also the P5 has better layering and depth, but the 50 has the wider soundstage. And I think the P5 is more musical and engaging. :thinking:

Does ISN EST50 provide similar FAN2 mids/highs ?

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #45,164 of 89,330

20230102_195831.jpg
Wow!!!
This is exactly what I needed to know
Thank you!! 🙏🏾

Jan 2, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #45,165 of 89,330
Does ISN50 similar FAN2 mids/highs ?
o boy...The Fan 2 is a force of nature. Still flabergasted! Rich, detailed, lush neutrality where every single frequency is just 'there'. It's a whol;e universe of sound. When people say something is 'neutral' it has a 'boring' conotation, but the fan2 is everything but boring. The 50 places more emphasis on bass, and the Fan 2 on mids. The highs on the 50 are more transparent and sweeter, the treble on the Fan 2 has more texture and detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back