Interesting machine from Luxury n Precision
Nov 24, 2021 at 2:26 AM Post #2,146 of 4,026
P6 Pro Obsidian has been delivered! While waiting for SD card to copy, using the LDAC function. Man I miss this sound (Legend X, Effect Audio Cleopatra) :)

0EBD1418-1FB7-4EE2-B13C-79F296F8B722.jpeg
Congrats man! So, how different is the tuning from the black P6Pro?

Nov 24, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #2,147 of 4,026
Congrats man! So, how different is the tuning from the black P6Pro?
Congrats, welcome to the family :)
Andrew told me the Obsidian is purely a cosmetic change, because they had some stock issues at L&P so the new ones are this grey.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #2,148 of 4,026
Congrats, welcome to the family :)
Andrew told me the Obsidian is purely cosmetic change, because they had some stock issues at L&P so the new ones are this grey. No SQ difference.
Hmmm based on my previous P6Pro Black/Gold, I think the Obsidian does have a different sound (particularly in vocals). The Black/Gold was more softer/relaxed. I will post some listening impressions later today.

Nov 24, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #2,149 of 4,026
I think Andrew might have made a mistake here. Based on LP’s Chinese marketing material, the Obsidian is tuned based on the original P6, and is more vocal centric. It was launched because many “old” P6 users find the tuning change to be too much when upgraded to P6 Pro, thus calling for a more “consistent” alternative tuning version.

Nov 24, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #2,150 of 4,026
The Japanese marketing material for obsidian also indicates a more vocal centric tuning, though the JP marketing doesn't mention it being based on the original P6 either...

Makes sense since JP market IEMs tend to be more vocal focused as well as a preference.

Nov 24, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #2,151 of 4,026
Hmmm based on my previous P6Pro Black/Gold, I think the Obsidian does have a different sound (particularly in vocals). The Black/Gold was more softer/relaxed. I will post some listening impressions later today.

You just received your P6 Pro yesterday, it needs 200hrs of burn in to settle in :wink: Both P6 and P6 Pro I tested took a while for the sound to finalize.

Nov 24, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #2,152 of 4,026
You just received your P6 Pro yesterday, it needs 200hrs of burn in to settle in :wink: Both P6 and P6 Pro I tested took a while for the sound to finalize.
haha true, but I gotta give folks something to read during Thanksgiving food coma :laughing:. P6's do need quite a bit of burn in, will likely do a follow up mid December or so.

Nov 25, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #2,154 of 4,026
P6 Pro Obsidian First Impressions (Out of the Box)

Luxury and Precision (L&P) has earned a reputation of making the premiere R2R DAPs for audiophiles around the world. Many domestic Chinese customers are familiar with the P6, which released nearly three years ago. P6 earned many accolades for its sound by both the press and praise from hifi hobbyists. Based on feedback from P6 users and reviewers, L&P added features such as the touchscreen and further optimized the audio performance to create the P6 Pro. To appeal to a wider audience (outside of China), L&P engineered P6Pro with a ‘all around’ tuning that works with a wider variety of music. Mr. Wan (co-founder of L&P) set P6Pro loose on the market, with a keen eye on reception of P6 Pro in Western markets. P6 Pro exceeded expectations and won numerous awards (including coveted VGP Gold Medals) for its exceptional sound quality, hardware engineering and outstanding design. While customers expressed desire for better software, the revelation of L&P’s sound quality is not easily forgotten in the Western market. In fact, an increasing number of customers are using P6Pro as a flagship DAC within their desktop amplifier headphone systems, aided by P6 Pro's LO in either 3.5mm or 4.4mm.

IMG_0399.jpg

While L&P are working tirelessly on the next generation of systems (LP7), Mr Wan looks to his favorite source of inspiration, his customers. He noticed many customers hold on to the older P6 player. It turns out P6 tuning is very popular and is much adored by Chinese audiophiles who prefer the P6’s original ‘vocal enhanced’ tuning compared to the ‘all around’ tuning of Black/Gold P6 Pro. Customers asked Wan if it was possible to create ‘the best of both’, a P6Pro with the tuning of the original P6.

Those who know Mr. Wan knows that he loves a good challenge. Driven by his demanding customers, Mr. Wan and his team set out to create the P6 Pro many customers were asking for. After many iterations, the team at L&P has produced a P6 Pro that combines the performance of the P6 Pro line but brings the sound tuning back the original P6.

I was able to ask Mr. Wan a few questions about P6 Pro Obsidian. Responses are edited slightly for brevity.

Q: P6Pro Obsidian vs P6 Pro Black, how are the tunings implemented? Is it hardware or software (or both)? Is this because of FPGA?
A: Yes, the Obsidian version tuning is from the FPGA reconfigurable hardware. This can be said to be the result of both software and hardware configuration.

Q: Is Obsidian P6Pro the future direction of L&P tuning? Or L&P offer different tunings/colors for future products?
A: Obsidian Tuning is just a branch of our tuning; in fact, we can do a variety of tunings without loss of tone quality based on our current experience. Later on, we can launch different versions according to customer demand and feedback.

Q: Why was Obsidian conceived?
A: Many of our customers like the popular tuning of P6 (vocal centric) and want to get the performance of the P6 Pro Black version, so we have launched the P6 Pro Obsidian version.

Q: Is L&P looking for tuning preference feedback from Western customers?
A: Yes of course, we are eager to hear our customers feedback so we can offer even better products in the future.

IMG_0394.jpg

This new model, called P6 Pro Obsidian has the same price as P6 Pro Black. The silver case of Obsidian looks very similar P6, however the Obsidian retains the wood back plate of the P6 Pro line. Obsidian and Black share the same software platform and features. However, the differences between the players become apparent when the music flows.

As L&P R2R devices benefit from burn in (P6 Pro requires 200 hours for optimal results) please understand these are first impressions. Extended impressions will be posted some time from now when the device is fully burned in.

The Obsidian has the same power delivery as P6 Pro Black. Depending on your iem, you may be better off using 3.5mm if using a wider volume range is desired. The sonic differences are best appreciated in vocal music. Obsidian is airier, vocals sound lifted and have more sparkle than the Black version. The P6 Pro Black signature is a relaxed and diffuse presentation. The Obsidian is a tad tighter, focused and brings a livelier sound to the vocals. I find vocals (Yao Si Ting, We Are One) and classical solos such as violin, cello and piano benefit from this presentation whereas layered jazz passages with saxophone can sound crowded and brighter at times. Electronic music (Everybody’s Lonely by Goldroom) benefits from Obsidian's more engaging presentation. There are optimal pairings with Obsidian, some genres worked particularly well with Obsidian, whereas others lacked this synergy.

IMG_0395.jpg

P6Pro Black allowed for greater compatibility with music but didn’t shine in any one aspect. Obsidian leans closer to LP6 in presentation; however the tradeoff is with other complex genres like jazz ensembles, rock and hip hop where I preferred the P6 Pro Black warmer tonality. LP6 in comparison managed to sound excellent in every genre, it seems there is no substitute for LP6. Even so, Obsidian’s tuning pushes P6 Pro’s enjoyability with my music to a new level that was not possible with the Black version. I still have some time to burn in Obsidian, however if you consider yourself a fan of vocals or simply want a P6Pro with livelier, leaner signature, one can view Obsidian as a more suitable alternative to the lush Black P6Pro.

Happy listening :)

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #2,155 of 4,026
I think Andrew might have made a mistake here. Based on LP’s Chinese marketing material, the Obsidian is tuned based on the original P6, and is more vocal centric. It was launched because many “old” P6 users find the tuning change to be too much when upgraded to P6 Pro, thus calling for a more “consistent” alternative tuning version.
Is there any info about the "upgraded" silver P6 Pros? Do they have same tuning as normal P6 Pros?

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #2,156 of 4,026
Nov 25, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #2,157 of 4,026
Nov 26, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #2,158 of 4,026
Yeah that post talks about the original unupgraded P6, black P6 Pro, and obsidian P6 Pro but not "upgraded" silver P6 Pro.
What silver upgraded P6 Pro? That’s just the Obsidian P6 Pro, unless you are talking about the P6 Pro that was upgraded from P6 and shared the same back-cover.

Nov 26, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #2,159 of 4,026
What silver upgraded P6 Pro? That’s just the Obsidian P6 Pro, unless you are talking about the P6 Pro that was upgraded from P6 and shared the same back-cover.
I was talking about the comparison between the P6 Pro upgraded from P6 vs other colour P6 Pro's. Sorry for my bad English. (since I'm not from English-native countries)

Nov 26, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #2,160 of 4,026
I was talking about the comparison between the P6 Pro upgraded from P6 vs other colour P6 Pro's. Sorry for my bad English. (since I'm not from English-native countries)
As far as I know, the upgraded one is the same as the black gold P6 Pro in terms of sound quality performance. A third party has even measured and compared an upgraded one vs. the black gold P6 pro and found them to be identical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back