The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 12, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #34,831 of 90,239
Maybe you mean something like this?)
IMG_20220717_120932_823.jpg
Interesting, I did not realize there were portables like the one in your picture.
I remembered after writing the reply, that there are small, personal generators that people wear around their neck. These are quite common now, and I often see people with them. These were created for Covid/anti-virus protection, to condition the air around you. Those "should" be easier to use, and would serve a double purpose. And look "cool", as they also have a flashing LED. Though I would worry that the LED would generate spurious EMI.....

Sep 12, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #34,832 of 90,239
I need the help of veteran head-fiers for this question. The Tripowin Rhombus was released very recently, however I recall a very popular IEM around 2015/2016 that had a similar shape, but I can't recall the name of the IEM nor the brand for the life of me. Anybody have an idea of what I'm referencing?

1662964914914.png

Sep 12, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #34,833 of 90,239
Interesting, I did not realize there were portables like the one in your picture.
I remembered after writing the reply, that there are small, personal generators that people wear around their neck. These are quite common now, and I often see people with them. These were created for Covid/anti-virus protection, to condition the air around you. Those "should" be easier to use, and would serve a double purpose. And look "cool", as they also have a flashing LED. Though I would worry that the LED would generate spurious EMI.....
But run for your life if the LED is blue, coz...

"Research shows blue light exposure may lead to age-related macular degeneration, or AMD."

So if you want to throw out your DAP please throw it in my direction.

In other news researchers have found that life is deadly!

drftr

Sep 12, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #34,834 of 90,239
I need the help of veteran head-fiers for this question. The Tripowin Rhombus was released very recently, however I recall a very popular IEM around 2015/2016 that had a similar shape, but I can't recall the name of the IEM nor the brand for the life of me. Anybody have an idea of what I'm referencing?

1662964914914.png
Is it MMR Thummin? hahaha
https://metalmagic.co/products/thummim

Sep 12, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #34,836 of 90,239
Hey guys, my Moondrop Dawn USB-C to 4.4mm DAC just broke and now I need a replacement. 😥 Spec-wise it seemed better than most other products (for example the A&K HC2), while being on the cheaper side... Should I get the same one again?

Or do you have any other recommendations?

Sep 12, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #34,837 of 90,239
Hey guys, my Moondrop Dawn USB-C to 4.4mm DAC just broke and now I need a replacement. 😥 Spec-wise it seemed better than most other products (for example the A&K HC2), while being on the cheaper side... Should I get the same one again?

Or do you have any other recommendations?
I recently received my Moondrop Dawn 4.4mm and I'm in love with this thing. Listening to it right now. I'm biased, however I would just run it back and try to get a deal if you can.

Sep 12, 2022 at 3:56 AM Post #34,838 of 90,239

Final Audio B series? But that was released around 2019

https://www.amazon.com/Final-Isolating-Headphones-Earphones-Balanced/dp/B07VC9XZBL

https://majorhifi.com/final-audio-b1-review/
1662969299573.png

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #34,839 of 90,239
I recently received my Moondrop Dawn 4.4mm and I'm in love with this thing. Listening to it right now. I'm biased, however I would just run it back and try to get a deal if you can.
I have contacted the store, I hope I'll receive an answer soon. Can't use my Indigo without a dongle...

So far I have looked at these competitors, but on paper they seem less capable (but some are also less likely to get permanently damaged)

DDHiFi TC44C/A (Detachable Cable/No cable at all)
A&K HC2 (expensive)
ISN Audio Type-C to 4.4mm adapter (suspiciously cheap)

Anyone know about any of these?

Sep 12, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #34,840 of 90,239
Very good guess! The B1 is fairly more recent than the model I'm talking about, but I think the shape is pretty much exactly as the B1 in black. Thanks!

I have contacted the store, I hope I'll receive an answer soon. Can't use my Indigo without a dongle...

So far I have looked at these competitors, but on paper they seem less capable (but some are also less likely to get permanently damaged)

DDHiFi TC44C/A (Detachable Cable/No cable at all)
A&K HC2 (expensive)
ISN Audio Type-C to 4.4mm adapter (suspiciously cheap)

Anyone know about any of these?
Just as a heads-up, I'm hearing that the upcoming Tanchjim Space is going to be reasonably priced, so I'm hoping it delivers on the performance side of things:

1662969971751.png

That's if you're willing to wait of course, if you want it right now my Dawn recommendation still stands

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #34,841 of 90,239
Quite a few DAP manufacturers, like FiiO and Lotoo, don't recommend using Lexar. Lotoo even has in their FAQ section a specific comment to stay away from 633x cards:

1662943237375.png
For what it is worth, the Lexar was rated the worse sounding in subjective tests done on another forum.
I have a 512GB 633x, from a couple of years ago, and it was so cheap that I could not resist buying it. I shifted it to a laptop, to use as extra storage, so no waste.

Maybe the abnormally cheap price was a clue.....if it looks too good to be true, then there is a reason for the price, and it is not due to charity.

Sep 12, 2022 at 5:32 AM Post #34,842 of 90,239
Very good guess! The B1 is fairly more recent than the model I'm talking about, but I think the shape is pretty much exactly as the B1 in black. Thanks!

Just as a heads-up, I'm hearing that the upcoming Tanchjim Space is going to be reasonably priced, so I'm hoping it delivers on the performance side of things:

1662969971751.png

That's if you're willing to wait of course, if you want it right now my Dawn recommendation still stands
https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/tanchjim-space/

^^

Sep 12, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #34,844 of 90,239
Sep 12, 2022 at 6:07 AM Post #34,845 of 90,239
I don´t understand most of that, but what is this extreme spike at 12k ?? that does not seem normal...
You can google translate the page. From a measurement standpoint this thing outperforms nearly all the other dongles (by quite a margin) in a very very compact form factor. It is expected to sound very clean. I'll get one for my notebook once it's out.
You are referencing the jitter measurement, the "spike" is normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back