The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 2, 2022 at 5:34 AM Post #33,980 of 91,364
These really are growing on me more with each session - I wasn't sure when they landed on Monday, it's taken time to 'understand' their tuning, and I'm not even at a point where I'd comfortably articulate how they sound. That said, some observations.
  • A lot of tip experimentation, Final E tips the preference at the moment
  • I've left them burn-in pretty much around the clock, and my burn-in scepticism is being eroded with each day that passes...
  • Shanling M9 has better synergy vs LPGT - Twilight seems to benefit from the extra low end kick, and the hint of warmth M9 delivers
  • Mids are definitely a strong point; clear, lush, very distinctive and captivating
  • While the lows are somewhat taking a backseat, both mid and sub are very satisfying... again, especially with M9
  • Treble is catching me out at times, it can almost be harsh and with some recordings, I've found it a bit too much. However, a huge positive here is that for a lot of recordings, it's fantastic - I'm finding percussion for example sounds incredible, cymbals and snares are incredibly lifelike and with fantastic control
  • Good sized stage, excellent width and fantastic imaging
  • I don't think they'll be an all-rounder, I need to get through more genres to really nail where they are working best
  • Love the cable!
Looking forward to more time over the weekend, definitely shaping up to be a very high performing set.

20220902_101812.jpg

Edit - the strings in this track sound utterly beautiful, proper catch my breath stuff.

20220902_103526.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #33,981 of 91,364
These really are growing on me more with each session - I wasn't sure when they landed on Monday, it's taken time to 'understand' their tuning, and I'm not even at a point where I'd comfortably articulate how they sound. That said, some observations.
  • A lot of tip experimentation, Final E tips the preference at the moment
  • I've left them burn-in pretty much around the clock, and my burn-in scepticism is being eroded with each day that passes...
  • Shanling M9 has better synergy vs LPGT - Twilight seems to benefit from the extra low end kick, and the hint of warmth M9 delivers
  • Mids are definitely a strong point; clear, lush, very distinctive and captivating
  • While the lows are somewhat taking a backseat, both mid and sub are very satisfying... again, especially with M9
  • Treble is catching me out at times, it can almost be harsh and with some recordings, I've found it a bit too much. However, a huge positive here is that for a lot of recordings, it's fantastic - I'm finding percussion for example sounds incredible, cymbals and snares are incredibly lifelike and with fantastic control
  • Good sized stage, excellent width and fantastic imaging
  • I don't think they'll be an all-rounder, I need to get through more genres to really nail where they are working best
  • Love the cable!
Looking forward to more time over the weekend, definitely shaping up to be a very high performing set.

20220902_101812.jpg
Did you ever find out whether it was a Liquid Link cable like with the Turii Ti? Do you know what kind material they use? From your description you may want to try a pure copper cable?

drftr

Sep 2, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #33,982 of 91,364
Did you ever find out whether it was a Liquid Link cable like with the Turii Ti? Do you know what kind material they use? From your description you may want to try a pure copper cable?

drftr

No I haven't found out, I checked the manual to see if any reference but no mention.

Yeah it is a copper cable, snip from the product page on Musicteck

Screenshot_20220902-104051_Samsung Internet.jpg

Sep 2, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #33,983 of 91,364

drftr
Not all copper cables sound/useful the same.
Some of the best I've heard are DHC Complement C, PW Attila and Cardas Clear Light.
And they sound quite different. So I think it makes sense to pay attention to the sound, not the material of the conductor.

Sep 2, 2022 at 6:09 AM Post #33,984 of 91,364
Not all copper cables sound/useful the same.
Some of the best I've heard are DHC Complement C, PW Attila and Cardas Clear Light.
And they sound quite different. So I think it makes sense to pay attention to the sound, not the material of the conductor.
You do realize you're quoting 3 copper cables, right? :wink:

drftr

Sep 2, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #33,986 of 91,364
You do realize you're quoting 3 copper cables, right? :wink:

drftr
Of course. And at the same time, only Cardas sounds like the copper it is usually described as - analog, warm, smooth, etc. And if I did not know that Attila is copper, I would rather consider him silver or hybrid.

Sep 2, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #33,987 of 91,364
Anything with Cardas Copper is 🤯 IMHO, of course.
I'm tired of trying to figure out who is Cardas and who isn't.
I don't think DHC. And PW - there is magic behind seven locks.
Of these three, one can only be sure that Cardas is Cardas.

Sep 2, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #33,988 of 91,364
They is a great misunderstanding about the cable materials.

For instance, the real good silver cables don't at all sound thin, or shrill, or aggressive, with no bass foundation, etc. : this is the exact contrary.

And I know pure copper cables that are very fast, precise, etc.

Sep 2, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #33,989 of 91,364
I'm tired of trying to figure out who is Cardas and who isn't.
I don't think DHC. And PW - there is magic behind seven locks.
Of these three, one can only be sure that Cardas is Cardas.
1960s and 1950s are confirmed Cardas. The rest, who knows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back