The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 30, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #33,826 of 88,680
Compared to my memory of the stock cable and also I compared the Eros s to the Copper M3 cable that came stock with Indigo. The M3 really made the mid bass more prominent, a bit too much.
Interesting, Eros > $2000 4-wire 1960s. Take that to the bank! 😁

Aug 30, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #33,827 of 88,680
Interesting, Eros > $2000 4-wire 1960s. Take that to the bank! 😁
Hah! Seriously impressed with the cost to quality ratio with this cable!

Aug 30, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #33,828 of 88,680
My comment was mainly for Traillii's 4 wire 1960s. You can search the Traillii thread for various comments on microphonics of that cable. I don't remember if the stormbreaker (2 wire) was as bad (I don't think it was).
First yes, then no.
As I understand it, it also had 2 versions and the second one was specifically for the second version of Traillii.
I'm not sure, but the 2 versions of the Stormbreaker and the 1960, along with the disappearance of ergonomic complaints, leads me to believe.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #33,829 of 88,680
PW cables are microphonic. This includes 1960’s, 50’s, Orpheus, First Times. However, they are not overly so. If you are working out with them or moving allot, then you might want a different cable, or it might not even bother you at all.
True. I was worried about this very thing reading the Trailli thread. Haven’t thought about microphonic issues once since owning.

Aug 30, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #33,830 of 88,680
Bought my first Fir Audio CIEM. NE4. It is a remold of a CIEM from a prior owner. FIR Audio has a great service for reshelling their Custom IEMs and some select third Party IEMs. Decent price and great service so far.

Here is the design I picked out:

NE4 v2.png

Aug 30, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #33,831 of 88,680
Prior to beginning my personal audio treck I had reached the point in the headphone hobby that I felt was close to being the end of the rabit hole. I still have Senn 600, 650, and 660S. In addition, I have Focal Utopia, Senn 800 and 800S as well as ZMF Verite and Eikon. My headphone stack is a PS CD transport, A Schiit Yiggy and a DNA Stratus with four sets of power tubes and 6 regulator NOS tubes and 3 Ruby Tiger input tubes. I am serious about this schiit. Norne custom cables except Wywires ICs on the stack. I still have and use all of it.
A few years ago I became interested in personal audio. I bought many ChiFi IEMs and nice inexpensive cables I then got into the higher end and now feel that I need not get anything better than my Aroma Jewel/Liquid Link Venom cable/Shanling M9. I have several other interesting IEMs and they will just have to compleat my collection. I think it is now time to pair down my collection.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #33,832 of 88,680
Any comparison with previous versions?
I’m not able to give any as I’ve not heard previous models. When reading around before I bought them there was a lot of people who thought that XM5 were only a small increment on from XM4. So much so that it was queried whether upgrading to the XM5 was worth it if you already had the XM4. No such issue for me though. The only other ANC I’ve got is the apple airpod pro’s and I find these to have a slightly different use factor.

Aug 30, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #33,833 of 88,680
Some brief impressions/thoughts for the evening.

I've spent the day listening to the LP6 AE with the Aroma stack and it is just ridiculous good. I had the C9 which was great, but this is a whole step up in my opinion. Dynamics take a large increase across the range, bass digs way deeper, stage gets wider and it pushes the ultraforward mids of the AE out a bit, especially when you add in the PS100 Pro, that little magic black box. Big shout out to @efftee for all the time and effort getting me to realize I needed one :) I have a few opamps ordered, looking forward to playing around with that. Such a great device.

I've spent a lot of time lately thinking about testing synergy and pairings. I've come to the conclusion that the higher up you go on the chain of quality, the more the matching plays a bigger role. For lower end gear you'll certainly be able to enjoy it with basically all gear, cables etc. Some would even say that cables are fine stock. Then you increase to the next level and suddenly everything doesn't sound good, and only a certain dap or cable etc will make the magic happen. With the TOTL summit stuff that is again exponentially increased, and something, like the AE in my case, sounds amazing with many things but it can only truly sing with that perfect pairing. But when it does... You've found it. But it's really picky, and can be a lengthy process which for some could be a deterent even. Trying 20 cables with 10 IEMS is simply not possible for most, financially or otherwise, myself included.

It's true, I have some of the most expensive gear you can buy, but I will continually argue that my one setup costs far less than other's collections of IEMs, Daps and cables combined. I've always been a one setup guy, and just steep into the music when you find it. My first audio guru, a man with ears that people pay good money for, built a truly inspiring 2 channel setup. It took him 10 years to choose and test everything he wanted, but now this stereo would make a grown man weep. It's so good. He has not bought anything new or changed his setup in any way for more than 8 years, which is impressive to say the least, for a guy with 10,000 vinyls who listens everyday. His attention to detail and patience would also make most people cry too, he's so OCD it's hard to hang out with him sometimes :) but that's my point exactly.

This hobby should be fun. It should be entertaining and enjoyable and full of inspiring moments. Some are happy to play in the lower price ranges where happiness is more easily found with more or less what you fancy. Up the levels it's more about refinement and subtle changes that to "us" make "all the difference". And sometimes, just sometimes, you find that magic combo that will stop you in your tracks and you realize that this is it, it can't get any better. That is where I am at this moment, listening to a setup that does make me weep. Music has never been this amazing to me, and I listen almost everyday until the batteries run out.

I hope you all find your "perfect" wherever it is on the chain you find yourself. May the music move you, heart and soul.

20220830_104648-01.jpeg20220830_111224-01.jpeg
Well said Tokpakorlo!

Congratulations on owning such a fantastic system, those goosebump moments when the music reaches you on a deeper emotional level is what makes it all worthwhile. I also agree that synergy is massive, and that the very best systems don't come together by accident.

Getting there is half the fun too, have you ever felt disappointed that your system sounds a bit too good, that you're struggling to justify further upgrades to yourself?

Painful as the gear treadmill is for the wallet, it gives us an excuse to participate in a great community.

Aug 30, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #33,834 of 88,680
Please share impressions. Did you own the previous version? I found the XM4 sound quite muffled and sold them. Went back to Bose QC35ii.
They are just out the box at the moment and so no real time on them yet. After I’d worked out how to download the app and sink to my ipad I had a quick listen to some music. Right now they sound warm and full. Bass has some presence as you’d expect from Sony but feels a bit blurry at the moment without any real definition. Mids and highs were a bit better, but I can feel that the highs seem smoothed off. Whether this will change over time I don’t know. I’d like to think that it will as they are given more use and more break in. I’m not actually that worried though as these are going to be used for audio books and movies, and that is their main purpose. I haven’t owned any previous versions and so I can’t compare them I’m afraid.

Aug 30, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #33,835 of 88,680
Bought my first Fir Audio CIEM. NE4. It is a remold of a CIEM from a prior owner. FIR Audio has a great service for reshelling their Custom IEMs and some select third Party IEMs. Decent price and great service so far.

Here is the design I picked out:

NE4 v2.png
Ooh third party IEMs? Will keep that in mind, cool!

Aug 30, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #33,836 of 88,680
Prior to beginning my personal audio treck I had reached the point in the headphone hobby that I felt was close to being the end of the rabit hole. I still have Senn 600, 650, and 660S. In addition, I have Focal Utopia, Senn 800 and 800S as well as ZMF Verite and Eikon. My headphone stack is a PS CD transport, A Schiit Yiggy and a DNA Stratus with four sets of power tubes and 6 regulator NOS tubes and 3 Ruby Tiger input tubes. I am serious about this schiit. Norne custom cables except Wywires ICs on the stack. I still have and use all of it.
A few years ago I became interested in personal audio. I bought many ChiFi IEMs and nice inexpensive cables I then got into the higher end and now feel that I need not get anything better than my Aroma Jewel/Liquid Link Venom cable/Shanling M9. I have several other interesting IEMs and they will just have to compleat my collection. I think it is now time to pair down my collection.

I go through similar cycles... I listen to my Yggy + GSX Mk2 and that thought always goes away :sweat_smile:

Aug 30, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #33,837 of 88,680
Some brief impressions/thoughts for the evening.

I've spent the day listening to the LP6 AE with the Aroma stack and it is just ridiculous good. I had the C9 which was great, but this is a whole step up in my opinion. Dynamics take a large increase across the range, bass digs way deeper, stage gets wider and it pushes the ultraforward mids of the AE out a bit, especially when you add in the PS100 Pro, that little magic black box. Big shout out to @efftee for all the time and effort getting me to realize I needed one :) I have a few opamps ordered, looking forward to playing around with that. Such a great device.

I've spent a lot of time lately thinking about testing synergy and pairings. I've come to the conclusion that the higher up you go on the chain of quality, the more the matching plays a bigger role. For lower end gear you'll certainly be able to enjoy it with basically all gear, cables etc. Some would even say that cables are fine stock. Then you increase to the next level and suddenly everything doesn't sound good, and only a certain dap or cable etc will make the magic happen. With the TOTL summit stuff that is again exponentially increased, and something, like the AE in my case, sounds amazing with many things but it can only truly sing with that perfect pairing. But when it does... You've found it. But it's really picky, and can be a lengthy process which for some could be a deterent even. Trying 20 cables with 10 IEMS is simply not possible for most, financially or otherwise, myself included.

It's true, I have some of the most expensive gear you can buy, but I will continually argue that my one setup costs far less than other's collections of IEMs, Daps and cables combined. I've always been a one setup guy, and just steep into the music when you find it. My first audio guru, a man with ears that people pay good money for, built a truly inspiring 2 channel setup. It took him 10 years to choose and test everything he wanted, but now this stereo would make a grown man weep. It's so good. He has not bought anything new or changed his setup in any way for more than 8 years, which is impressive to say the least, for a guy with 10,000 vinyls who listens everyday. His attention to detail and patience would also make most people cry too, he's so OCD it's hard to hang out with him sometimes :) but that's my point exactly.

This hobby should be fun. It should be entertaining and enjoyable and full of inspiring moments. Some are happy to play in the lower price ranges where happiness is more easily found with more or less what you fancy. Up the levels it's more about refinement and subtle changes that to "us" make "all the difference". And sometimes, just sometimes, you find that magic combo that will stop you in your tracks and you realize that this is it, it can't get any better. That is where I am at this moment, listening to a setup that does make me weep. Music has never been this amazing to me, and I listen almost everyday until the batteries run out.

I hope you all find your "perfect" wherever it is on the chain you find yourself. May the music move you, heart and soul.

20220830_104648-01.jpeg20220830_111224-01.jpeg
the Aroma stack is really impressive, so much so that its all I used when I'm home

Aug 30, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #33,838 of 88,680
First yes, then no.
As I understand it, it also had 2 versions and the second one was specifically for the second version of Traillii.
I'm not sure, but the 2 versions of the Stormbreaker and the 1960, along with the disappearance of ergonomic complaints, leads me to believe so.

Interesting, this is the first time I heard about different versions. I have one of the original batch...

Aug 30, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #33,839 of 88,680
Cooler survey: What is your 12? Full size, IEMs and buds welcome...but you get only 12 total collectively.
Based on what I’ve owned or listened to, and in no particular order.

1. Phonix
2. Traillii
3. Legend X
4. Trio
5. U12t
6. Storm
7. Kr5
8. Xe6
9. Elysian X
10. Supermoon
11. Sultan
12. U18s

Aug 30, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #33,840 of 88,680
Don't let possible microphonics stop you from it. It may not be an issue for you.
PW cables are microphonic. This includes 1960’s, 50’s, Orpheus, First Times. However, they are not overly so. If you are working out with them or moving allot, then you might want a different cable, or it might not even bother you at all.
Although I'm always sitting when listening to music I move my head a lot. When it's rock or worse then I won't hear the rubbing of the cable against my clothes, but when it's classical music especially during quiet passages or while listening to solo instruments or vocals only, the rubbing becomes unbearable and can be like adding a whole new instrument to the mix. I would have to get a new cable not to be thoroughly annoyed each and every time I use it. And since I will have only 1 cable that's going to be often! I'm not buying a 5k setup to be annoyed. I can have that for less! :wink:

drftr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back