The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 25, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #33,391 of 87,654
That wasn’t me I don’t think— most of my listening is done on the SR25ii which is by no means a powerful player and is more than adequate…in fact it’s great. I’m sure the 1z will be epic with it.
Ah ok, my bad. I'm not sure who then haha. Happy to hear Supermoon runs great off of SR25ii.

Aug 25, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #33,393 of 87,654
Please can you share the EQ for the HE1000SE? 🤔
Preamp: -6.5 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 24 Hz Gain 3.2 dB Q 0.88
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 1927 Hz Gain 6.7 dB Q 2.08
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 3163 Hz Gain -4.3 dB Q 2.80
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 5018 Hz Gain -2.9 dB Q 4.09
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 19470 Hz Gain -8.3 dB Q 0.46
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 49 Hz Gain 0.5 dB Q 1.92
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 248 Hz Gain -1.8 dB Q 0.79
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 2124 Hz Gain 0.2 dB Q 0.08
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 10574 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 1.75
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 11038 Hz Gain -1.0 dB Q 0.59

Aug 25, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #33,394 of 87,654
I wonder is the X that different vs annihilator?

I’m really looking forward to trying out the Solitare T at Canjam. I’m not a headphone guy at all but Bluetooth, and wired scalability in one package sounds like too good of an opportunity to not listen to it.

And I’ll give the Supermoon a spin. I’m not particularly inclined to it just because I already have the LCD i4 and that fits well with me, but if 1/2 the cooler is saying good things about it, then it’s worth a demo.
Yes, to my ear, the X is very different from the Anni. I love the Anni for its great treble. With the X, the treble is overwhelmed by the bass. I only like the X with certain DAP pairings because of it. I like the Anni on most sources.

Aug 25, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #33,395 of 87,654
Curious how you would compare it to the A12T!

Well based off my previous two demos … A12t is much more laid back and relaxed in comparison. Less energetic. Supermoon has quite a bit of energy in the upper mids where a12t is more out of head and organic in comparison. Supermoon lower mids are more recessed also but have excellent clarity and texture. The Supermoon bass sounds bigger, has better texture and heft also. a12t to me has less sparkle and better treble extension.

Technicals A12t wins in dynamic contrast but Supermoon has more detail. Stage and imaging on both is great. I’d give A12t the edge in timbre, specifically in the mid range, as to me Supermoon can come off slightly ethereal to my ears.

Overall though I think the Supermoon is more fun and engaging, definitely diff tuning philosophies at play here.

Aug 25, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #33,396 of 87,654
How to know that you have had enough and are drunk now??

A friend asked me my honest take on the IE600, I said okay and plugged in the Tia Fourte and was about the type the review for the IE600 to him
😕

P.S Don't judge me it's my friend's birthday treat so we finished a bottle of Copper Dog along with a few pegs from other bottles xD Fourte is a loaner from a good friend :) Sorry for the bad image here hehe
1661448159467.png

Aug 25, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #33,397 of 87,654
Ah ok, my bad. I'm not sure who then haha. Happy to hear Supermoon runs great off of SR25ii.

Indeed, very easy to drive from any DAP or dongle, and unlike Andro and Solaris, you are dealing with normal average sensitivity and no hissing.

Aug 25, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #33,398 of 87,654
If that is a slip of the keyboard then it's a very nice one. If it's on purpose, how did you know? 😎

drftr

Just a typo.

Aug 25, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #33,399 of 87,654
Supermoon scales very well with more power. They're the most technically proficient iem I've heard (with the cable upgrade) and has some insane depth to it which makes it so enjoyable.

Honestly I would've already bought one if it wasn't for the elevated treble that I found too fatiguing, but I know others haven't had the same problem. Timbre can also be an issue, but you'll have to hear it yourself to see your tolerance level 😂

Hugehuge recommendation!

@CrocodileDundee

You should definitely send a email out to campfire audio for a demo. Doesn't take much time and effort but is absolutely worth the experience :)
So, what cable did you pic as an upgrade for Supermoon?

Aug 25, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #33,400 of 87,654
Here are my current top 12 IEMs and Headphones as of 8/25/22. This list represents the best of the headphones and IEMs that I either personally own, have owned or would like to own. There are many worthy options not included because for one reason or another, I ruled out owning them. For instance, I really like the Noble Kublai Khan. If I were attempting to create a top 12 of all IEMs, it would probably make that list. But, since it overlaps with other IEMs I own, I do not intend to buy it and therefore it is not included.

There are many changes since 5/28/22. Susvara is now my favorite headphone once again. I have learned that great mids create the most emotional engagement for me with music. Since Susvara has the best mids to my ear, it is now number 1 in my collection. Same is true with the Red Halo FE. It has the best mids and is therefore my favorite IEM. The 64 Audio U12t also makes it debut. It took me 3 different auditions to finally decide to buy this IEM. Now that I have taken it through my library, I absolutely love it so much that it cracks the top 5.

Cable pairings really turned out to make a difference in how I perceive the quality of IEMs and Headphones. The Traillii improved to number 3 due to the First Times Shielding cable that I paired with it. Utopia moved up due to the Danacable Lazuli Reference cable I got for it.

In addition, I have started down the path of Electrostatic headphones, therefore two STAX headphones have showed up on the leaderboard of headphones. In a recent demo session, I really liked the LCD-4z and the Solitaire P. These headphones may make their way to the top 12. I need more time with them to determine their place on the list.

My taste is changing much more frequently than I ever expected and the Industry is producing new options every quarter. So, I expect this list to change often. I will update it regularly as it changes over time.

My current top 12 IEMs:
1. Unique Melody Red Halo FE
2. Elysian Annihilator
3. Oriolus Traillii
4. Aroma Jewel
5. 64 Audio U12t
6. Vision Ears EXT
7. Empire Ears Legend EVO
8. FIR Audio XE6
9. Empire Ears Odin
10. Unique Melody MEST Indigo
11. Sony IER-Z1R
12. Empire Ears Legend X (custom)

My current top 12 headphones:
1. Hifiman Susvara
2. Abyss 1266 Phi TC
3. STAX SR-X9000 (ordered)
4. Focal Utopia
5. STAX SR-007 mki
6. ZMF Atrium Koa
7. Hifiman HE1000SE (with EQ)
8. ZMF Verite Closed Koa
9. Hifiman HE1000v2
10 Sennheiser HD800S
11. Hifiman Ayra v2
12. Focal Clear OG
hi, between u12t and sony, i know sony bass is better but which one u pick for live music, jazz and vocal acoustic, is the u12t Soundstage and image wide like sony?

Aug 25, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #33,401 of 87,654
hi, between u12t and sony, i know sony bass is better but which one u pick for live music, jazz and vocal acoustic, is the u12t Soundstage and image wide like sony?

That is an excellent question. When I first got the Z1R, I characterized it as the best IEM I owned at the time for live jazz music due to its liveliness and energy. Great bass. Great treble. Great stage. I think I will stay with that idea even though today I think of it as an IEM marked by clarity and big sound. The U12t would be better with recorded music because the FR is so clear and complete with great imaging that you can hear all of the music. Z1R has a wider sound stage.

The one weakness of the Z1R is with male vocals due to its v-shape FR. You can fix this with a warm source. For acoustic music, I prefer an IEM that is more midcentric. So, for accoustic, I would prefer U12t.

Aug 25, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #33,402 of 87,654
I've been having a blast with my IEC711 mic/coupler and REW on my mac. I still have some more models to measure. Maybe I need my own squig link database, lol!

Besides the Variations and S8, the Titan S is my next favorite, with the Chu and Zero coming in remarkably close behind even ignoring price/performance. Not a big fan of the Dioko actually.

1661451550274.png

Aug 25, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #33,405 of 87,654
Prepping for a major THL review, so thought I'd share some of the audio pr0n with my fellow Coolers 😁

Supermoon_08.jpgSupermoon_07.jpgSupermoon_13.jpgSupermoon_15.jpg
Since when do you listen to male vocals?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back