The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 6, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #31,306 of 90,102
So, I was curious about qdc Tiger and decided to borrow these IEMs from Musicteck. Spent a week with it and wanted to share my impressions.

qdc-tiger-04.jpg

Tiger is qdc latest IEM release, 6BA + 2EST, which is also reasonably priced under $1.5k. I think it caught many people's attention due to its unique shell design, celebrating 2022 year of the tiger :) The shells are made from titanium and the faceplate has tiger claw mark cutout with rose gold plate underneath to create 3D effect. Nice looking design. The shell itself is universal and has custom-like shape with a shorter nozzle, but that "custom" part of the design makes them go in deeper with a comfortable fit, at least for my average size ears.

qdc-tiger-07.jpg
qdc-tiger-05.jpg
qdc-tiger-06.jpg

The 2pin socket is typical of qdc, protruding outside with a cable connector housing that wraps around it for extra security. But, according to qdc, pins are standard 0.78mm and I tried it with other 2pin cables, seems to work OK. The fit is a bit tight, but it works. The stock cable itself is also qdc standard with hybrid wires, copper/SPC, but this time they are using a modular plug so you are covered with SE and BAL options.

qdc-tiger-01.jpg
qdc-tiger-02.jpg
qdc-tiger-03.jpg

Now, about the sound.

I hear qdc Tiger to have a very spacious sound with a balanced W-shaped sig and a warmer natural tonality. The bass extends deep with a relaxed laid-back presentation and a bit more emphasis on sub-bass. Mids have fuller body with plenty of clarity, natural detailed tonality, and slightly forward presentation. Treble is clear, detailed, and also sounds very natural, not rolled off but with just enough sparkle to give the sound its clarity and resolution.

The sound does scale up with cable upgrade, and luckily you can use 0.78mm cables. For example, with Venom, bass is faster, tighter, mid-bass punches harder, and lower mids are a bit less colored. With something like FirstTimes, I hear a tighter bass, though not the same level of mid-bass impact like with Venom, and also lower mids have more transparency.

Overall, it has a smooth, natural, detailed sound with all-rounder tuning and rather big expanded soundstage.

Here is the FR measurement:

qdc-tiger-FR01.jpg
Very nice!

Aug 6, 2022 at 2:10 AM Post #31,307 of 90,102
Closing out the night with one of my favorites.

21CF6804-F5E2-4A11-8723-74671D4C2249.jpeg

Aug 6, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #31,308 of 90,102
Who from the Watercooler are planning to attend CanJam Socal? We need to have a drink somewhere.

@HiFiHawaii808
@discord
@Rockwell75
@Natesdailies

Anyone else?

Given the line up of vendors and the hints of announcements so far, this show should be epic.
As of now, count me as a maybe. Realized that there is a work scheduling conflict in September. I'll see what I can do.

BTW, new Moloch SE
Available at DMAG for 2,480 HK$

I dig the aesthetics, since its PW audio it will probably sound just as good. Not a fan of its sacrilegious name though :S

Aug 6, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #31,309 of 90,102
Aug 6, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #31,310 of 90,102
It doesn't have the best bass (though for BA, it’s very impressive indeed!), mids or trebles, but to my ears, it is one of the most balanced IEM I’ve heard.
Perhaps 'Harmony' would have been a more apt name than 'Storm'? 🤔

Aug 6, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #31,311 of 90,102
I will maintain a list of Watercooler attendees. I will try to see if I can get some 3d printed name tags so we can find each other.

Who from the Watercooler are planning to attend CanJam Socal? We need to have a drink somewhere.

@HiFiHawaii808
@discord
@Rockwell75
@Natesdailies
@wolfstar76
@stacey
@morserotonin
@Skyediver

@monduvo (please confirm)

Anyone else?

Given the line up of vendors and the hints of announcements so far, this show should be epic.
Hi HiFiHawaii808,

Thanks for taking the time with all the thinking and planning that goes into preparing this upcoming event/meetup, and outing (if possible).

Arrived home later than usual from work (8/5), and for some reason, I just wasn't in the mood to prepare and cook food at home. Instead, I went to few places for take-out, and kept it simple & casual with a burger & fries, a side of bread pudding (dessert not shown in photo, as it looked like a mess when I took it out from the take-out box) and a cold brew coffee.

On a late Friday evening, I had a cheeseburger with a side of fries (take-out, from The Morrison, in Los Angeles, California, 8/5), along with a cold brew coffee (take-out from Kava Kulture cafe, Los Angeles, California, 8/5), for dinner.
ColdBrewCoffee-AngusCheeseburger-Fries.jpg
Cold brew coffee (take-out, from Kava Kulture, Los Angeles, California, 8/5), and a cheeseburger (w/ angus beef patty, cheese, chopped celery, mayo, capers, lemon, pepper) with a side of fries (take-out, from The Morrison, Los Angeles, California, 8/5).

As of now, with my current work schedule from Mondays to Saturdays (from 8:00am to 4:30pm), I don't think I'll be able to take the day off from work on Saturday (9/17) to meet up with all of you in the daytime at CanJam SoCal in the Irvine Marriot.

What might work for me, on Saturday (9/17), is to get off one hour earlier from work (around 3:20pm), and head straight over to Irvine Marriot to meet up with (and get to know) some of you in the evening hour to hang out for a bit, try some iems/headphones and gear, and maybe get some food & drinks at a cafe/restaurant in the Orange county area. If an outing is likely to happen on Saturday evening, and more people are likely to join in for some food & drinks, I can bring a car, with seating up to seven people (including myself).

As for Sunday (9/18), I can meet up with you guys at the Irvine Marriot, or whichever place of meeting is preferred for listening to iems and audio gear, sharing some thoughts about music, gear and other interests/hobbies in the morning hour, from 7:30am to 9:45am, before CanJam SoCal starts.
VE8-IERZ1R-U12t-MESTMK1UIEMs-CASupermoonCIEM-iBassoDX300amp12-iBassoDX220amp8.jpg
First row (left to right): Vision Ears VE8 universal-fit iem w/ Plus Sound Audio 8-wire gold plated hybrid cable in 4.4, Sony IER-Z1R universal-fit iem w/ Plus Sound Audio 4-wire silver plated copper cable in 4.4, and iBasso DX300 w/ amp12.
Second row (left to right): 64 Audio U12t universal-fit iem (b-stock) w/ Plus Sound Audio 8-wire silver plated copper cable in 4.4, and Unique Melody MEST MK1 universal-fit iem w/ Plus Sound Audio 2-wire silver plated copper cable in 4.4.
Third row (left to right): Campfire Audio Supermoon custom-fit iem (in audiophile-fit) w/ Plus Sound Audio 8-wire silver plated copper cable in 4.4, and iBasso DX220 w/ amp8.

I'm sure most of you here at the Watercooler thread have heard/listened to these iems and digital audio players by now. For those who haven't and would like to give these iems and/or daps a try & listen, I'll bring in my iems and daps for demo listening at the Irvine Marriot, on Sunday morning (9/18, from 7:30am to 9:45am).

However, in case some changes happen with my schedule (due to family and/or work reasons), I'll let you all know a week ahead at latest before the first day (9/17) of CanJam SoCal. So, let's keep in touch, and I'll keep you all posted with updates (and if any changes come up along the way). =)

-Daniel.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #31,312 of 90,102
Some Lotoo Mjölnir prototype pics

FCECC3E5-4E11-4D33-920F-216502BE02C6.jpeg
4F084B8F-9064-4FA4-A12C-AC956E535FDB.jpeg

Aug 6, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #31,314 of 90,102
Pretty interesting to see it is USB-C powered. (Transportable by chance? Surely not right)
And with a plenty of connections with SD card reader also, looks very interesting but not portable as M30

Aug 6, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #31,315 of 90,102
Pretty interesting to see it is USB-C powered. (Transportable by chance? Surely not right)
I mean, if you have a strong enough powerbank then maybe? Lol

Imagine seeing someone carrying this tho haha

Aug 6, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #31,316 of 90,102
After listening more to the MSF I think I have gathered enough impressions for a final verdict. Took some time to find out what I like and what not, it's not an IEM that you capture at first listen.

It starts with the bass. It's very tight, very hefty but only when demanded. Otherwise you don't hear much of it. But when the song calls it, it's very powerfull, slams hard and is very textured. A member mentioned in a review, that the bass is decoupled from the rest of sound. I can see where he is coming from, but for me it is still coherent with the rest and sounds integrated enough to not bother me. Technically it's the best BA bass I have heared.

But I would still prefer Traillii bass for example. The Mason bass has literally no decay, it's hard to describe but even as the bass is technically so good it lacks something that for example the Traillii has.

The mids are very even, detailled and enjoyable. The vocals are really great. They seem to be taken apart from the song, enhanced and put in as another layer over everything. Female vocals sound fantastic. As others stated strings etc. as well. If you are into female vocals, there is no way around this set!

The treble is fine. Not silky, not sugar like, not like electrostats. But enjoyable. It's on the wet side, which I like a lot! It can sometimes hit the border of harshness, depending on the song. But I find it genereally to be within tolerable territory.

The soundstage is very very wide. Wider than traillii in my oppinion. Imaging is superb. Instrument separation is very good, but not the best in town. Detail retrieval is also very good, but a bit behind something like the Odin.

Generally it is a more analytical listen. I find it to be a bit fatiguing over longer listening sessions. It excells on vocals, strings and the like. It provides out the world performance on songs like "Don't speak" - Pang! or "Superficial Love" - Ruth B. or "Walking in the Sun" - Pang! . Unbelievably enjoyable, no other IEM comes close here. On the other side it does not have a very accurate timbre, it's levels below Traillii. It is also by no means an all-rounder IEM. I listen to a very wide variety of songs and I don't find it to be a perfect match often.

It also somehow reminded me a bit of the Focal Utopia.

1659780003881.png

Aug 6, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #31,317 of 90,102
Aug 6, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #31,318 of 90,102
Aug 6, 2022 at 6:45 AM Post #31,320 of 90,102
Went to demo a few stuff today. Sadly Elysian IEMs are not available since Lee's taking them out for a show or sth.

Man I wish someone comes up with a combination of IER Z1R's beautiful bass with everything else from Annihilator (the clean midrange, agressive tuning, superb details & separation). Z1R stil has the best bass but guitars don't roar as they do with Annihilator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back