The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 29, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #30,496 of 90,714
my Jewel sockets are extremely tight, took me a while to remove the original silver cable. My u12ts are actually the ones i use on the go, non recessed socket but overall still snug and good

Yes mine are too, likewise left on Thunder - always nervous switching cables, the fear of finding a pin detached and stuck in the socket 🥶

Jul 29, 2022 at 4:52 AM Post #30,498 of 90,714
Shanling M9 on charge, and I had loaded up some albums last night on the 1A so actually decided to pop on TZ700, managed to park Jewel for a bit! TZ700 sounds wonderful on the 1A, even coming from a kilobuck set - I immediately melt in the bliss of Technics.

20220729_094050.jpg

Jul 29, 2022 at 4:56 AM Post #30,499 of 90,714
Shanling M9 on charge, and I had loaded up some albums last night on the 1A so actually decided to pop on TZ700, managed to park Jewel for a bit! TZ700 sounds wonderful on the 1A, even coming from a kilobuck set - I immediately melt in the bliss of Technics.

20220729_094050.jpg
I think Jewel and TZ700 should be the perfect yin-yang

Jul 29, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #30,500 of 90,714
I find with a lot of new acquisitions, I often park within 24 hours and listen to an existing set - with Jewel, I'm constantly excited to listen to them with any genre. I woke this morning, realised I had no work, and immediately plugged Jewel in... they've been in my ears now for several hours, and I'm absolutely in audio bliss.

I definitely need to now kick off my planned consolidation, and first for the chop, very reluctantly I must admit, Aroma Audio Thunder... now on classifieds.
Congrats mate, loving your journey through the IEM jungle, and your fresh perspectives. When you get a chance, please discuss Z1R/Jewel in terms of bass (emphasis, quantity), stage size, treble and female vocals.

Jul 29, 2022 at 5:13 AM Post #30,501 of 90,714
Congrats mate, loving your journey through the IEM jungle, and your fresh perspectives. When you get a chance, please discuss Z1R/Jewel in terms of bass (emphasis, quantity), stage size, treble and female vocals.

Yes of course, I'll be happy to - and to talk about a common theme I'm finding with the IEMs that most resonate.

Jul 29, 2022 at 6:20 AM Post #30,502 of 90,714
Yup. Human nature is cyclical. It reminds me of this:

In case you dont hear from me again, search for a piece of obsidian at the end of a stone wall near an oak tree in Buxton, Ohio.

P.S. I left the original unused ear tips in the box so you should be able to scalp it with ease at the classified.
Josh hawley has a new book on that…..lol

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #30,503 of 90,714
Anyone tried these tips? Ordering some anyway, always on the hunt for more and these caught my attention... interesting design.

AE LINK

Screenshot_20220729-115707_AliExpress.jpg

Screenshot_20220729-115627_AliExpress.jpg

Jul 29, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #30,504 of 90,714
Yes mine are too, likewise left on Thunder - always nervous switching cables, the fear of finding a pin detached and stuck in the socket 🥶
Very unlike the Indigo which is very easy to dislodge. I had the misfortune of dislodging one of them and it fell to the floor! Thankfully it still sounds sublime!

Jul 29, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #30,505 of 90,714
My medical grade tips have been in my encores for so long, forget what they are.

Jul 29, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #30,506 of 90,714
Hello again,

Just checking in with a brief update, after another fairly busy week at work.

Passed through Art District again for a quick bite and coffee run, on a fairly quiet Thursday morning.
ViewOfConvertedCondoLoftBuilding-AcrossFromSCIArcUniversity-ArtDistrictLosAngelesCA.jpg
Across from where I stood on the campus ground of Southern California Institute of Architecture (independent architecture university), there was something interesting I found in the appeal and presence of this building (with its upper two floors that were converted to loft-style condos, totaling around 20 condos), of what was once known to be one of the largest grocery distributors in the city of Los Angeles (formerly known as R.L. Craig & Co. Wholesale Grocers, and this building was originally designed by Morgan Walls Architects in 1907).

In the building next to SCI-Arc campus, there happened to be a coffee shop right around the corner, and I made a quick stop for a cold brew coffee (and an almond croissant) at Boxx Coffee Roasters (in Art District).
BoxxCoffeeRoasters-ColdBrew-ArtDistrictLosAngelesCA.jpg
Cold brew coffee (from Boxx Coffee Roasters, Art District, Los Angeles, California, 7/28).
Clean and forward fruit notes of apricot and cherry with a slight bitter-crisp finish. There’s a nice smooth-toned balance of herbal and bitter fruit taste most of the way through, with most of its bitterness softened down to a mellow citric finish.

While work went unusually slow on a Thursday (7/28), upon my arrival home after work, I noticed my Plus Sound cables (and 4.4 to xlr 8-wire spc interconnect adapter) arrived in mail (as it’s been 27 days since my order from July 1).
plussoundx8spc4.4toxlrinterconnect-plussoundx8spcmmcx4.4-plussoundx8spc2pin4.4.jpg
From top, and left to right:
Plus Sound 8-wire spc 4.4 to xlr 4-pin balanced interconnect adapter (top).
Plus Sound 8-wire spc cable (w/ mmcx connectors) in 4.4 balanced (left).
Plus Sound 8-wire spc cable (w/ 2-pin connectors) in 4.4 balanced (right).

Here are some of my brief initial thoughts and impressions of Plus Sound 8-wire spc mmcx cable in 4.4 paired with Supermoon ciem, Plus Sound 8-wire spc 4.4 to xlr 4-pin balanced interconnect adapter and Topping DX7 Pro amp & dac (in xlr 4-pin, at low gain, balanced).

Supermoon-ciem-plussoundx8spc4.4-plussoundx8spc4.4toxlrinterconnect-ToppingDX7Pro.jpeg
Low end is presented with more subtle texture and depth in dynamics, with slightly more reach and physicality in impact and rumble, along with wider detailed body in a more closely positioned and subtly balanced way.

Midrange (most noticeably vocals and voices that are positioned along center and upfront stage) still feels slightly recessed, yet is more noticeably present across the stage, with increased width and lateral depth among subjects, objects and instruments, which gives slightly extended space and air in soundstage (mostly across horizontal stage and more out front from vertical & horizontal surfaces). There is also more noticeable heft and texture in detailed rendering of vocals, instruments and soundscapes, along with more dense weight, and closer etched definition in body lifted slightly upfront from the surface.

Imaging (on 8-wire spc in 4.4) fares similar in presentation and performance with Plus Sound 4-wire spc cable, in the way sound is presented and felt in panning, placement and positioning, and transient in speed and decay, only with more subtle information of detail that’s presented in a more up-close & wider sense of scale and feel.

Treble retains and presents a little more information of detail with slight increase in lateral height and vertical depth (from surface to height and across), with more subtle presence of space and air, from low to mid highs. Upper mid to upper end highs are noticeably subdued when presenting sounds with finer and more delicate bright timbre, yet gives some sense of fine textured and crisp feel of sound in the top end.

Overall, based on few hours of listening done with Supermoon ciem & Plus Sound 8-wire spc cable in 4.4 to Plus Sound 8-wire spc 4.4 to xlr balanced interconnect adapter and Topping DX7 Pro amp & dac (from xlr 4-pin, in low gain, balanced), these are mostly minor subtle changes in sound I’m hearing and feeling, from low to moderate listening volume levels. However, when listening to music, and also streaming & watching movies, at moderate to slightly higher than normal listening volumes, most often for different use cases, I find most of the little different changes in sound to add up by a noticeable margin.

Another thing to note in this pairing is the subtle softened tone (along edges of and towards surface of detail), giving a sense of musicality with slight warmth in synergy & sound, which makes listening more non-fatiguing and enjoyable for hours of listening at a time.

More listening is needed to be done with Supermoon ciem and Plus Sound 8-wire spc mmcx cable in 4.4 (w/ Plus Sound 8-wire spc 4.4 to xlr interconnect + Topping DX7 Pro amp/dac), as well as with U12t and Plus Sound 8-wire spc cable (w/ 2-pin connectors) in 4.4 (w/ Plus Sound 8-wire spc 4.4 to xlr interconnect + Topping DX7 Pro amp/dac), for further detailed impressions and thoughts in another post for another time. =)

Jul 29, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #30,507 of 90,714
Real men use 8 wire. :relaxed::wink:

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #30,509 of 90,714
Jul 29, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #30,510 of 90,714
Lots of Sun and Water, not much listening time, after all this trip was a business social event, down time this morning. Took my Leica for a walk listening to Willie Bobo’s Finest Hour with the XE6, as the sun rose. On the flip side here is a phone snap from last nights sunset.

E37B9838-A549-47BD-BA11-D9525636B55D.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back